Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2013, 11:25   #76
BHPian

Re: 98 Carb Gypsy, Is it worth the effort?

Hi
My 2 cents

1. How much for a engine rebuild and how trustworthy would that rebuild be?
2. How much for the suspension work?
3. Is it true that a 98 Carb King would give an FE of about 5-6 kmpl?
4. After 15 years does it need a fitness every year and if yes what does it cost?
5. The guy had removed the drive shaft for the 4X4, and kept it aside. He will give it with the vehicle. What should I be careful about and what could go wrong here?

1 - A rebuild with all MGP parts will cost not more than 20k in the NCR region. The rebuild if done from a qualified person (there are many here) will be flawless and last a really long time.

2 - With the original Aisin yes around 8 , however if you retrofit the mikuni , the mileage will go up to 10.

3 -Fitness renewal in UP is if i remember 5 years at one time. what you should be careful is about the antecedents of this vehicle , are you buying from the owner whose name is on the RC , if yes then fine , but if this is not the case please dont buy on a blank signed Form 29, 30. It is advisable to have the papers checked by the Ghaziabad RTO.

4 - Ideal price is near 55k for this , in the present condition.

They are many members from the NCR area who have some fabulously rebuilt gypsies , and i am sure they will be able to help you with this

Edit - Check out this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...crutineer.html

Last edited by wbd8779 : 10th March 2013 at 11:29.
wbd8779 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 11:33   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post
Replies inline and in bold

Hey Mash, thanks for marketing for me
Are you guys sure the engine on this gypsy is a 1 ltr? Plus the transportation costs itself from Mysore would get me some new tryes. lol. But I am thinking of plonking an mpfi baleno engine into this one. Heard these are available fro about 20K at Merrut or Mayapuri. Would it fit?
Old 10th March 2013, 11:36   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinn View Post
Rebuild of a 1 liter engine is a waste of money and effort, go for a 1.3 liter engine, suiting your budget and need.
Gypsy King with 1 liter engine? I thought '98 Gypsy king came with 1.3 carb engine with different bonnet top design.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here.
Old 10th March 2013, 11:38   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Are you guys sure the engine on this gypsy is a 1 ltr? Plus the transportation costs itself from Mysore would get me some new tryes. lol. But I am thinking of plonking an mpfi baleno engine into this one. Heard these are available fro about 20K at Merrut or Mayapuri. Would it fit?
The engine is the 1.3l liter on your Gypsy. , yes the Baleno and the Esteem MPFI engine will fit.

MPFI Esteem conversion will cost not less than 60k , Baleno will cost minimum 75k (all rebuilt) these are not simple swaps , and a host of ancillary parts also need to be changed (fuel tank,Radiator,cooling fans,instrument consoles) to name a few and to ensure reliability
Old 10th March 2013, 11:50   #80
BHPian

1 The entire front diff can be swapped from Meerut for 7-8k with a working one.

2 Mass is the best bet

3 My advice is stay with the Carb , Conversions are pretty reliable. however the 70-80k that you save by going with the carb can be used to make a excellent expedition vehicle.
wbd8779 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 12:01   #81
Senior - BHPian

Ok so what I gather is that its absolutely fine to go ahead with the deal and there is nothing that cannot be economically treated/cured in this Gypsy. Let me make an offer and see whats the best price I can make the owner agree to. Please guys keep your suggestions coming as to what I need to be careful about.
Old 10th March 2013, 12:16   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Gypsy King with 1 liter engine? I thought '98 Gypsy king came with 1.3 carb engine with different bonnet top design.

You are absolutely correct Sir,King always had the 1.3L engine.
from 1996 to Early 2000 Carb version with 60 horses,post March 2000 1.3L MPFI with 82 horses,MG410(W) was in production till March 2000 and it came with 1.0L 45 Horses engine.
@wanderrernomad,i would recommend that you get hold of a good 1.3LMPFI engine and plonk it in,if you decide to purchase this?
What is the asking price btw?

Last edited by akshay4587 : 10th March 2013 at 12:17.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 12:22   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
You are absolutely correct Sir,King always had the 1.3L engine.
from 1996 to Early 2000 Carb version with 60 horses,post March 2000 1.3L MPFI with 82 horses,MG410(W) was in production till March 2000 and it came with 1.0L 45 Horses engine.
@wanderrernomad,i would recommend that you get hold of a good 1.3LMPFI engine and plonk it in,if you decide to purchase this?
What is the asking price btw?
Asking price is around 80K. But an mpfi swap would cost another about 75k to the costs. This would take the overall cost to in the region of about 1.5 lakhs. If I wait and look around would I not be able to get an original mpfi around 1.5? Since I need this mostly for camping trips and weekend off roading, would the mpfi conversion be an over kill, considering the numerous reliablity questions too with the retrofitment?
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 12:38   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Since I need this mostly for camping trips and weekend off roading, would the mpfi conversion be an over kill, considering the numerous reliablity questions too with the retrofitment?
Actually a MPFI is a better bet if you're looking for a hassle free affair with your Gypsy.
Also if you're planning for high altitude trips, MPFI should be the choice. Unless, you have no issue adjusting air/fuel mixture continuously.

Actual users can tell you more on this.
Rudra Sen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 14:23   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually a MPFI is a better bet if you're looking for a hassle free affair with your Gypsy.
Also if you're planning for high altitude trips, MPFI should be the choice. Unless, you have no issue adjusting air/fuel mixture continuously.

Actual users can tell you more on this.
Rudra at times we do like to get our hands dirty plus at this time everything is governed by the money. Maybe a year down the line I might do the swap but as of now cash is severely limited. Plus air fuel mixture adjustment is not an issue with experience of older generation army gypsy's high altitude experience.
Old 11th March 2013, 11:37   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry Boss, my bad - You have a 1.3 ltr Carb engine Just saw the pics. I was unable to view the pics the other day.

Quote:
You are right Rudra.

Quote:
Rudra at times we do like to get our hands dirty plus at this time everything is governed by the money. Maybe a year down the line I might do the swap but as of now cash is severely limited. Plus air fuel mixture adjustment is not an issue with experience of older generation army gypsy's high altitude experience.
For High altitudes, I believe carb model is the choice.

For others My preference will be MPFI, bcuz its really tough to tame the Asin carb of KING. If you get a good mech who knows about Asin carb, then I believe you can go for it.
Twinn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 13:16   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Rudra at times we do like to get our hands dirty plus at this time everything is governed by the money. Maybe a year down the line I might do the swap but as of now cash is severely limited. ...
My 2 cents of advice in this context:

The cheapest vehicle you buy will be the costliest you will own.

With this kind of budget, you will always have more than enough opportunity to dirty your hands and not enjoy your vehicle (and also your family will not enjoy it).
Either increase your budget or drop the plan. Save for later and then buy.
khan_sultan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2013, 22:20   #88
Senior - BHPian

Re: Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon

Khan what you say is true but this is going to be an occasional vehicle for weekend trips and the like. Not a daily driver or the family car. What I can make out is that for about 75K for the rebuild I would be able to have a reliable running gypsy. Or am I missing something here? For keeping the rebuild stock what kind of budget am I looking at?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks