Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2010, 00:12   #1
BHPian

Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon

Hi All,

Finally after going through numerous number of threads and enthusiastic fellow BHPians stories on the procuring/rebuilding the gypsies even i decided to take the plunge into the 4x4 world after winning a DDA bid today.

The search started months back with numerous numbers of visits to Maya puri and to Karol bagh to get a decent piece of machinery which could fit my Budget and spare me some money for the rebuild according to my needs.

I was in regular touch with Abhey to check on the Gypsies and also spoke to him a couple of times to check on the specs. Going back to my story of the search for the gypsy left me nowhere with either steep prices or with gypsies which i did not like , finally i found the resolution to this problem at home when my close friend told me about this auction which was about to take place for DDA gypsies. We went to the DDA office about 5-6 weeks back to check the gypsies and found 3 of them up for grabs

2 1998 gypsies
1 1996 gypsy

I'm not sure if everyone knows how this auction process works but i was pretty enthusiastic about the whole thing and was willing to take the risk. Here is how it works -
  • We went there to see the vehicles with no one to attend us
  • All 3 vehicles were locked with only 1 with the back door open ( all HT's )
  • No option of getting the vehicle checked for machinery status
  • The tyres were not deflated at all ( making us assume that they had not been parked for more than 3-6 months )
  • We go to know the auction date which was today ( 19th oct )
  • The minimum DD to be made was for 25% of the bidding amount
  • multiple bidding for one car allowed
So we made the bid for all 3 vehicles and luckily got one otherwise i would have been really disappointed considering the fact that i would have had to wait for more time to get the next deal ( whether from MP or from Auction ).

Me and my friend had a Hi-fi and left the place with a smile and the next step is to wait for the letter from DDA to make the complete payment.
I'm really not sure if i've made the right decision considering the following facts
  • that i had not checked the vehicle
  • not sure about the papers
  • some people say the possession takes upto 30-60 days after the auction
  • bribes to be paid to get the papers etc
I have seen some fellow BHPians going through the grind for the above issues. Wrong or right i've already made the plunge and would now be needing lot of assistance from the experts here before i turn into one.

Feeling dead tired after the long grind today so would be posting the pictures shortly or maybe tomorrow early morning
Old 20th October 2010, 03:03   #2
BANNED

Congrats, the route you have taken would make you a gypsy too The pain and effort we go through makes us fall in love with these machines even more.

My thoughts about your queries -

that i had not checked the vehicle - depends on what you paid, if you paid a hefty sum you better expect it to be working. Else, there is nothing much that could go wrong with a gypsy and that too a carb. are you planning to keep it carb or convert to MPFI?

not sure about the papers - you'll get them, i am assuming it would have a regular number so maybe it is possible to get it transferred?

some people say the possession takes upto 30-60 days after the auction - depends, mine took about 40 days, not sure how DDA works.

bribes to be paid to get the papers etc - Maybe, if required. If it helps getting the work done faster.
Old 20th October 2010, 06:34   #3
BHPian

Hey Saint sinner , i've been following your thread closely too with Harjeev being an active participant in the same.

@Harjeev - If you manage to bump into my thread then i guess i've answered your question that you asked me on FB ( I'm Harish aka Harry ) as to what was the roadblock in me buying a gypsy.

To be honest i could not wait to update this thread which is why i slept only for 5 hours and am up again to post the updates with pictures of my possession. I'm also not sure if the responses would be as expected considering that it was a blind that i played.

I would really like to get expert feedback from fellows here after having a look at the engine bay as that is the heart of the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-191020101362.jpg  

Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-191020101363.jpg  

Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-191020101366.jpg  

Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-191020101367.jpg  

Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-191020101368.jpg  

Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-191020101369.jpg  

Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-191020101370.jpg  

Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-191020101371.jpg  

Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-191020101372.jpg  

Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-191020101373.jpg  

Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-191020101374.jpg  

Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-191020101375.jpg  

Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-191020101377.jpg  

Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-191020101378.jpg  

Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-191020101379.jpg  

Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-191020101380.jpg  

Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-191020101381.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 20th October 2010, 09:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

congrats on the buy!!

please share price too.
we too have bought a government 1990 MG 410. it took 2 years to get papers transferred on my name.

usually army auctioned jeeps & gypsys take 3~5 months for papers transferred. so please stay in constant touch with the broker & RTO agent.

1 liter engine is underpowered but easily repairable too. (but parts like cylinder head are a little difficult in smaller cities like mine, there should not be a problem for Delhi.)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2109679-post8.html

please go though this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...red-mg413.html

rgds,
Nikhil
Old 20th October 2010, 10:05   #5
BHPian

Hey Harry , congrats on the buy . Gypsy condition looks pretty decent with lotta body work involved , but better than most auction gypsies . Put up some underbody pics . What mods have you planned ?

Planning to use it for OTRs or road use or rally .
Old 20th October 2010, 11:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
congrats on the buy!!

please share price too.
we too have bought a government 1990 MG 410. it took 2 years to get papers transferred on my name.

usually army auctioned jeeps & gypsys take 3~5 months for papers transferred. so please stay in constant touch with the broker & RTO agent.

1 liter engine is underpowered but easily repairable too. (but parts like cylinder head are a little difficult in smaller cities like mine, there should not be a problem for Delhi.)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2109679-post8.html

please go though this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...red-mg413.html

rgds,
Nikhil
Congrats on your buy nikhil. I got it for 86 K including 12.5 % tax and copule of more thousands to cough up before i get the documents/possession is what i've heard ( corruption you see ).

And yes i've gone through Abhey's thread as i've mentioned earlier in my thread introduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
Hey Harry , congrats on the buy . Gypsy condition looks pretty decent with lotta body work involved , but better than most auction gypsies . Put up some underbody pics . What mods have you planned ?

Planning to use it for OTRs or road use or rally .
Thanks karizma.Currently i'm planning it only for OTR's and maybe short drives locally on the weekends till the time i check on it's reliability. I have 3 other cars to take care of my daily commute so chances of using gypsy would be very less considering it's mileage

Here is what i've planned so far for STAGE 1 -
  • Get a set of 4 tyres ( would need assistance on that as i would be going for alloys later for sure )
  • Do the complete engine rebuild and make it usable/reliable first
  • Remove the HT and back seats and install a soft top
  • Get the 4x4 in shape ( not sure about it's condition currently )
  • Get the suspensions changed ( again would need assistance on this )
  • And not to forget the documentation
I'm sure the above mentioned mods would set me back by almost about 50 k if not more.

STAGE 2
  • Get a set of alloys
  • Paint job - Mostly white or Red
  • Custom seats and interiors
  • Would be going for 2 seats at back with low lying ST ( custom made )
Currently i'm not too bothered about STAGE 2 and am focusing on getting the vehicle home and starting with STAGE 1
Old 20th October 2010, 19:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

@gypsy4x4: Congrats on the Gypsy.
My comments/ suggestion's &/or queries as follows
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy4x4 View Post
Congrats on your buy nikhil. I got it for 86 K including 12.5 % tax and copule of more thousands to cough up before i get the documents/possession is what i've heard ( corruption you see ).
Now that you have already bought the vehicle, may I ask why did you choose a 1.0 carb and not a 1.3 carb??
Also wouldn't a 1300cc carb also be in the same or slightly expensive Price range. I believe that Paras has recently bought a 1.3 carb almost in the same price range. Maybe 10-20% more than what you have made. I am not discouraging you or your decision, but just wanna understand the reason for choosing the 1.0 over the 1.3.

Quote:

And yes i've gone through Abhey's thread as i've mentioned earlier in my thread introduction.

Thanks karizma.Currently i'm planning it only for OTR's and maybe short drives locally on the weekends till the time i check on it's reliability. I have 3 other cars to take care of my daily commute so chances of using gypsy would be very less considering it's mileage
Quote:

Here is what i've planned so far for STAGE 1 -
  • Get a set of 4 tyres ( would need assistance on that as i would be going for alloys later for sure )
I really like BFG's. However other members and rallies participants swear by Yoko too. A friend of mine who participated in Raid2010 was really happy with, i think that he was using either JK or Apollo. I do not remember the name. will surely ask him and update the thread later
Quote:
  • Do the complete engine rebuild and make it usable/reliable first
Easily manageable and shouldn't cost that much too, Ashish got his engine rebuild and couple of other stuff for under 17k from MASS. 1000cc should be a little cheaper or the same price.
The above 17k included some other stuff too like windshield, locks, normal servicing etc etc, so only the engine rebuild should be cheaper by a couple of grands
Quote:
  • Remove the HT and back seats and install a soft top
Nice idea. All the bars etc you can get in Mayapuri and please remember that the hardtop you have can be sold. Do not just give it away for free. The iron bars etc can easily be bought. Do let me know whenever you wanna buy it, I would guide to the shop that sell them. Hoever do inquire whether the 410 and 4113 share the same structure. I believe that getting stuff for 413 should be easier and cheaper I know these mayapuri guys they will say aab banti nahi hai yeh gaddi, to saman short supply main hai and all that nonsense
Quote:
  • Get the 4x4 in shape ( not sure about it's condition currently )
If in a bad shape, can be easily sourced. Atleast the king's 4x4 is available in ample. Not sure whether the 1000cc & the 1300cc share the same transfercase
Quote:
  • Get the suspensions changed ( again would need assistance on this )
When you are changing everything, so for monoro shocks. They are slightly expensive but compared to the stock, Ive heard them to be better. Leaf Springs should also be quite cheap
Quote:
  • And not to forget the documentation
If I am not mistaken, as this is an auction vehicle, you might not be able to transfer it in Delhi or NCR. Where are you getting it registered
Please advise if the above is not the case.
Quote:
I'm sure the above mentioned mods would set me back by almost about 50 k if not more.

STAGE 2
  • Get a set of alloys
  • Paint job - Mostly white or Red
  • Custom seats and interiors
  • Would be going for 2 seats at back with low lying ST ( custom made )
Currently i'm not too bothered about STAGE 2 and am focusing on getting the vehicle home and starting with STAGE 1
Old 21st October 2010, 03:20   #8
BANNED

Harjeev, mine was in the price range due to the hold we had over the dealer. otherwise it would ended up around 1.25 - 1.3L

your 1.0 makes me curious too. its a 98 right? were both the 98's having the 1.0 engine? If you are keeping it carb, might i suggest you get the 1.3 carb engine.

About the Raid, Aman started with yokos but due to their poor sidewalls there were numerous punctures (Please note he is Amanpreet "Rocket" Ahluwalia) He then came back to his JK Tornado's and set the track on fire.
Old 21st October 2010, 10:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
If I am not mistaken, as this is an auction vehicle, you might not be able to transfer it in Delhi or NCR. Where are you getting it registered
Please advise if the above is not the case.
As seen from the pics of the car, it is already registered in Delhi. It just has to be transferred in the new owner's name. A relatively very easy job as compared to registration of an army auctioned vehicle.
Old 21st October 2010, 13:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
Harjeev, mine was in the price range due to the hold we had over the dealer. otherwise it would ended up around 1.25 - 1.3L
I agree, but start conditioned 1.3 carbs are available in Mayapuri for this price range. Dead vehicles are 90-100k butthey need a lot of work.

Quote:

About the Raid, Aman started with yokos but due to their poor sidewalls there were numerous punctures (Please note he is Amanpreet "Rocket" Ahluwalia) He then came back to his JK Tornado's and set the track on fire.
Yes JK Tornado it is. Another friend of mine Bobbie Bhogal too was on Yoko first and then shifted to Tornados. He too was extremely satisfied with the Tornados

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoholic View Post
As seen from the pics of the car, it is already registered in Delhi. It just has to be transferred in the new owner's name. A relatively very easy job as compared to registration of an army auctioned vehicle.
I know it appears so, but I think (think but not sure) that the state in which the vehicle is auctioned can't register or transfer the vehicle.
I am talking just in reference to my experience. I bought a LHD CJ3B in 2009 which was auctioned by the UPSEB (UP State Elec Board) in Gaziabad. I was not able to get the vehicle transferred in either Gaziabad or anywhere in the NCR. So now the vehicle is endorsed in Zira, Punjab with the same old number.
This was the rule as I know it was last year. If they've changed it, it must be different now.

Another Teambhpian ntomer bought a MPFI 1.3 auctioned by ONGC or OIL which was registered and auctioned in Lucknow. If I am not mistaken he too was not able to get it transferred in his name.

@gypsy4x4:
harry you would in any case be going through this entire process soon.
Please re-confirm the procedure and enlighten me.

Cheers
Harjeev
Old 21st October 2010, 19:49   #11
BANNED

^^ Harjeev, the only work my vehicle needed was worth 4-5K to be operational. But i had different plans. i just needed a vehicle with a clean body line and working gearbox & 4X4 case. i had options for about 75-80K but a normal person like me finds a vehicle without seats, bumpers, grill, lights etc weird.

i even find BF Goodrich very strong, though i am looking for Tornado's after Big bro's "rise of the phoenix" in Raid2010
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:29   #12
BHPian

Quote:

your 1.0 makes me curious too. its a 98 right? were both the 98's having the 1.0 engine? If you are keeping it carb, might i suggest you get the 1.3 carb engine.

(OT) Aman had 5 punctures during the first day of the raid. He actually started behind us on day 2 , but true to his style was flying all the way .

The Yokos have a sidewall issue (at least in the Raid) , we had 3 punctures , all on the last day and all of them apparently due to sidewall intrusions. The last one was right on the baralacha pass at 17000ft , try changing a flat there.

Would recommend the Yokohama Advan series if you can find , by far the best ones.
Old 22nd October 2010, 11:52   #13
BANNED

Salman,

Could you provide details on the Advan's?

OT Again - can anyone list down the tires used for rallies in gypsies?
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:00   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Salman,

Could you provide details on the Advan's?

OT Again - can anyone list down the tires used for rallies in gypsies?
Enclosed is a picture of the Yokohama Advan Series tyre for the Gypsy , as used in the just concluded RDH.

In addition tyres that i have seen this year were.

Yokohama Geolander
JK ultima
MRF Wanderer
JK brute
Attached Thumbnails
Won the bid for Gypsy 98 -Rebuild to begin soon-advan.jpg  

Old 22nd October 2010, 12:04   #15
BANNED

I expected CEAT, Apollo & BF Goodrich to be there as well..

Salman, you were in the Pro Auto Mods preped Gypsy?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks