Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2010, 12:13   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
I expected CEAT, Apollo & BF Goodrich to be there as well..

Salman, you were in the Pro Auto Mods preped Gypsy?
Yup. The Pro Auto Prepared Gypsy.

Lets Not hijack this thread by going OT.

Regards

Salman
Old 26th October 2010, 18:53   #17
BHPian

Hi All - Sorry for responding so late as i was on a extended weekend trip to Shogi Jungle retreat ( park Woods - Near Shimla ) from Thursday to Sunday.

@ Harjeev - The reason i bought this 1.0 carb was because none of the 3 gypsies for auction were 1.3. I guess i did not have a choice and just went for the impulsive buy. I'm sure if you're saying that it's underpowered then it would be but it's OK as long as it's easy to rebuild and maintain.

Currently i'm focussed on getting it home and then getting the condition checked after which i would look forward for suggestions from the team here depending on how much ive to cough up for 1.0 and if were to upgrade it to 1.3.

As far as registration is concerned it cannot be registered in Delhi as confirmed by the DDA manager. As per him it has to be registered in a state 175 Kms away from Delhi.
Currently i have the option of getting it registered either in UA , UP or PB.
Old 26th October 2010, 20:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

congratulations gypsy4X4,

Looks like requires good lot of work on the vehicle. Good luck!
Old 26th October 2010, 21:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy4x4 View Post
Hi All - Sorry for responding so late as i was on a extended weekend trip to Shogi Jungle retreat ( park Woods - Near Shimla ) from Thursday to Sunday.

@ Harjeev - The reason i bought this 1.0 carb was because none of the 3 gypsies for auction were 1.3. I guess i did not have a choice and just went for the impulsive buy. I'm sure if you're saying that it's underpowered then it would be but it's OK as long as it's easy to rebuild and maintain.

Currently i'm focussed on getting it home and then getting the condition checked after which i would look forward for suggestions from the team here depending on how much ive to cough up for 1.0 and if were to upgrade it to 1.3.

As far as registration is concerned it cannot be registered in Delhi as confirmed by the DDA manager. As per him it has to be registered in a state 175 Kms away from Delhi.
Currently i have the option of getting it registered either in UA , UP or PB.

Well the 1.0 to 1.3 carb upgrade would not cost a lot of money . The 1.3 carb engines are available in th 6-8k range , and i am sure a few members would have spare 1.3 carbs lying around , this upgrade itself would yield 20 bhp , the issue is sourcing the 5speed King gearbox , that would be tough to find and a bit expensive also.

The PB47 regn is the best bet as you can have your permanent Delhi address in the RC itself , with a Temp Zirakpur address.

The priority as you rightly pointed is to get the vehicle in running condition first.

Regards
Old 26th October 2010, 23:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
Well the 1.0 to 1.3 carb upgrade would not cost a lot of money . The 1.3 carb engines are available in th 6-8k range , and i am sure a few members would have spare 1.3 carbs lying around , this upgrade itself would yield 20 bhp , the issue is sourcing the 5speed King gearbox , that would be tough to find and a bit expensive also.

The PB47 regn is the best bet as you can have your permanent Delhi address in the RC itself , with a Temp Zirakpur address.

The priority as you rightly pointed is to get the vehicle in running condition first.

Regards
6-8 k Should not be a big issue for that kind of power however how much would the 5 speed king gear box cost is what i would like to know. I would initially be towing the vehicle to a mechanic i know to see the status of the vehicle and then take it from there. Even i would like to go for the PB 47 regn however my friend suggested me a UA registration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
congratulations gypsy4X4,

Looks like requires good lot of work on the vehicle. Good luck!
Thanks Dwaraka. I would not go back now since i've already taken the plunge. Would require inputs as and when necessary from all the experts here.
Old 27th October 2010, 03:11   #21
BANNED

^^ the engines for 6-8K would need some amount of service, plus labor and would come out to 15K or more. Gearbox for about 8K, spend a grand or two for oil & bearing changes.

If you have a residence proof for UA and have contacts there, go for it.
Old 27th October 2010, 20:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

i think Alan's ( xtreme power) gypsy is UA registered. you can PM him.

Last edited by SirAlec : 27th October 2010 at 20:52.
Old 28th October 2010, 01:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
^^ the engines for 6-8K would need some amount of service, plus labor and would come out to 15K or more. Gearbox for about 8K, spend a grand or two for oil & bearing changes.

If you have a residence proof for UA and have contacts there, go for it.
That doesn't sound like a very expensive option which means that i can go for it even if i settle for the 1.0 repair first and then upgrade to 1.3 carb when i want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
i think Alan's ( xtreme power) gypsy is UA registered. you can PM him.
Sure , i'll go ahead and ping him to get more details/help
Old 28th October 2010, 09:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Conversion options from a 1.0 carb to a Gypsy King

Though I am no expert on the matter, however when I bought a my gypsy (December 2009) I too was contemplating purchasing a 1.0 Carb and then try converting it into a 1.3 king carb. This is when I was spoke to a many of people, some of them I should say know what they are talking about.

The following is the question that I put up to them. This was in October 2009

Quote:
My message to to them

Advise on Gypsy 1.0 Carb to MG 413 or MG416

Hi XXXXX
Buddy I need your advise!!! The other day at the OTR when we were talking about gypsy's.
I had a MG410carb Gypsy in 1998 and sold it to a friend in 2001. Since 2001 the vehicle is with this friend of mine and has been very sparingly used and 100% on road. Additionally its still registered in my name!!! (HR-51 Faridabad regn)
I was thinking if I should buy this Gyspy and convert it either to a MG413 MPFI or a MG416 Baleno is the 1.0 a good start point considering that this will be a 4 speed gearbox!!!
If yes what in your opinion should be a good price.
Need your inputs
Cheers
Harjeev Chadha
The following is the reply I received from them
Quote:
Hi Harjeev
converting MG410 to 413 is not done by merely changing the engine only. You will have to use 5 speed gear box along with transfercase , front and rear diff. as the gear ratios ratios are different. so better look out for mg413 carb and convert it to mpfi or 1.6 mpfi
Reply from another friend

Quote:
Hey Harjeev
the one ltr gypsy does not make sense as one will have to replace everything : engine / transmission / transfer case / wiring & diffs. now with everything being replaced only the chassis & body remain so why spend money on that. basically pick up a 1.3 mpfi gypsy and then we can look at upgrading the motor to 1.6 engine along with some suspension upgrades.
think this route makes more economic sense.
This was the case back in October 2009. If thing have changed since them, I am not sure, as I said that I am no expert, but just a novice as far as vehicles are concerned.
But as per the second reply above, when the engine, gearbox, transfercase, front and rear diffs, wiring, cooling system, etc etc, everything needs to be changed, Will it make economic sense???
Not to mention when you will be changing the front and rear diffs, I guess that the mountings etc will also be different.
Considering 1.3 carbs compared to 1.0 carbs should be available by spending like 30-35 grands more?

More so a jugaad will always be a jugaad.

MODS:
Please move the post if Off-Topic

Last edited by harjeev : 28th October 2010 at 09:24. Reason: edit
Old 28th October 2010, 09:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

I can see many people discouraging gypsy4x4 for his impulsive buy of 1.0 carb. Almost all of them suggesting for 1.3 liter carb.

I would like to ask what 1.3 can do which 1.0 cannot. I know 1.3 churns out 20 BHP more in specification. But for normal OTR outings how this 1.0 will hamper? Moreover OTR is more ART than displaying power from engine. Please help me to understand that.
Old 28th October 2010, 09:47   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I can see many people discouraging gypsy4x4 for his impulsive buy of 1.0 carb. Almost all of them suggesting for 1.3 liter carb.

I would like to ask what 1.3 can do which 1.0 cannot. I know 1.3 churns out 20 BHP more in specification. But for normal OTR outings how this 1.0 will hamper? Moreover OTR is more ART than displaying power from engine. Please help me to understand that.

As an example I would like to mention Siddu - 1ltr HT NARROW TRACK - and he is not someone who gets stuck.

A humble suggestion to gypsy4x4 - take your machine to a few OTR's - understand what your machine is capable of before doing changes.

Cheers
GB
Old 28th October 2010, 10:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy View Post

As an example I would like to mention Siddu - 1ltr HT NARROW TRACK - and he is not someone who gets stuck.

A humble suggestion to gypsy4x4 - take your machine to a few OTR's - understand what your machine is capable of before doing changes.

Cheers
GB
Hi
I totally agree with the above. I am not say that one vehicle is superior or inferior than each other. The sole basis of my comparison is the price that was paid and the price that would have been paid for the other one.

I would say that considering the price that was paid for the 1.0 carb buying the 1.3 carb would have been a little more logical.
This 1.0 carb was bought for 85 grands. For about 100 grands or so he would have got himself a 1.3 carb.
The work (read money) required to get both the vehicle in perfect working order should be more or less the same. Had this 1.0 carb been in good running condition it would have made much more sense to go for a this vehicle and then the money to be spent on this vehicle would have been considerably less.

But now when he has already bought and paid for the vehicle my advice would be to run it as it is. Harry shouldn't bother converting the 1.0 carb to a 1.3 carb as its simply not worth it. I have driven a 1.0 carb for 4 year and its a wonderfully simple and a remarkable machine.
Just my two cents
Old 28th October 2010, 20:31   #28
BHPian

Quote:

Well that was exactly what i wanted to ask but was apprehensive. I'm sure some members would disagree with this fact but as i said that i'm still a novice in this field and would like to learn more and more as i go ahead with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy-Boy View Post

Cheers
GB
Did you mean Sunny Sidhu? I simply love him. I think he came in the white HT for the 4guna4 event on 25th Oct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hi
I totally agree with the above. I am not say that one vehicle is superior or inferior than each other. The sole basis of my comparison is the price that was paid and the price that would have been paid for the other one.

I would say that considering the price that was paid for the 1.0 carb buying the 1.3 carb would have been a little more logical.
This 1.0 carb was bought for 85 grands. For about 100 grands or so he would have got himself a 1.3 carb.
The work (read money) required to get both the vehicle in perfect working order should be more or less the same. Had this 1.0 carb been in good running condition it would have made much more sense to go for a this vehicle and then the money to be spent on this vehicle would have been considerably less.

But now when he has already bought and paid for the vehicle my advice would be to run it as it is. Harry shouldn't bother converting the 1.0 carb to a 1.3 carb as its simply not worth it. I have driven a 1.0 carb for 4 year and its a wonderfully simple and a remarkable machine.
Just my two cents
I agree and as per the feedback from all of you it looks like the 1.0 is going to be easy to maintain too.

BTW i'm yet to follow up with the DDA official on the documentation and delivery of the vehicle as this week has been busy due to my previous weeks vacation.

Although i do not have a huge budget for this rebuild but the fact also remains that i would not compromise on the quality of spares that go into this project.
Old 29th October 2010, 09:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy4x4 View Post
Well that was exactly what i wanted to ask but was apprehensive. I'm sure some members would disagree with this fact but as i said that i'm still a novice in this field and would like to learn more and more as i go ahead with this.
gypsy4X4 1.0 litre engine itself capable of doing many thing. For starters there is no other good option. Just indulge into it completely and build it as of your initial budget and enjoy the fullest. For suggestions sky is the limit.

For second buy 5K-10K difference go here and there. There is no way people should cry after that. I hope you will enjoy this gypsy for next 3 - 5 years.

Best of Luck for your rebuild process. And yes, get the possession soon and start comprehensive rebuild thread here .
Old 29th October 2010, 10:23   #30
BHPian

gypsy4x4 a small explanation from my side

This is what mexXxentric told when i asked him about 1.6 sawp for MG410W or MG410.
Note : He has not changed the diffs and T-case in his MG410W for 1.6 swap.

The King's GB + 410 drive train does support and you can use all the 5 gears effectively.

Baleno's engine in 410 gives a very torquey setup which is good for offroading
MG416 easily start moving in second gear and give a top speed of 110 in 5th gear and it feels like driving in 3rd gear in a normal sedan. If you are going to use your gypsy a lot in highways rather than OTRs then upgrade to larger dia wheels which helps a bit or upgrade the diffs and T-case as others told .

Last edited by karizma9292 : 29th October 2010 at 10:24.

Most Viewed