Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2010, 13:53   #1
BHPian

Help required for a Pajero Engine Rebuild

i recently picked up a 96 pajero ,only to realize it was leaking oil and fuel.got it checked by mechanic who said only a rebuild or replacement of the engine will sort the problem,tried sourcing an engine but its proving to be too expensive so planning to get the engine rebuilt,can anyone please guide me to a good pajero mechanic in and around Bangalore ,any help will be appreciated.
Old 27th October 2010, 14:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Breakneck,
I am not sure if you read this thread already: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ero-2-8-a.html
In the latest update, Ricky_63 mentions about a pretty new Pajero engine available for sale. If Ricky_63 is not interested in it anymore and if it fits in your budget, you may want to have a look.
Cheers and Good Luck,
Deepak
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2010, 14:28   #3
BHPian

Ask frk or race dynamics. They both do excellent jobs on imports they will be expensive but they are very reliable. Frk does a lot of servicing also. Check in the forum for their contact numbers. Else pm me ill give em to you.
Old 27th October 2010, 14:53   #4
BHPian

HI STARTER,
iv been following Rickey_63's thread, i pm'd him and he is yet to hear from the people concerned regarding the price ,infact he gave the option of using his engine if he planned to use the one from the accidental pajero.
would also like to know any place where i can source genuine Mitsubishi parts required for the rebuild.
Old 27th October 2010, 15:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Leaking oil and fuel.?

Why dont you get the same checked by other good mechanic for a second opinion.

Does it run on a 2.8L TD.?How much is the Odo reading.?

Please give us more details.
Old 27th October 2010, 16:29   #6
BHPian

did get it checked and tried fixing the leaks but it seems the timing is wrong,the mechanic is guessing that it must have done about 250k,and ya it is running the 2.8 l td engine.
Old 27th October 2010, 17:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

You can get the Mitsubishi 4M4O engine for about 1 lakh in Chennai. Its an engine that used to be on the Mitsubishi Eclipse and has its oil filter assembly in front and the exhaust is different.
These engines are in pretty good shape too. You will need to replace the parts like the oil filter housing etc with those from your engine.
Old 28th October 2010, 17:10   #8
BHPian

You might have checked my thread of ownership of a 1984 SWB Pajero.

You would be able to source most of the parts from CITI Motors, Opera House Mumbai.

IMO try and get the engine rebuild. What is the Engine Model on your Pajero?
Old 28th October 2010, 18:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Check Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakneck View Post
i recently picked up a 96 pajero ,only to realize it was leaking oil and fuel.got it checked by mechanic who said only a rebuild or replacement of the engine will sort the problem,tried sourcing an engine but its proving to be too expensive so planning to get the engine rebuilt,can anyone please guide me to a good pajero mechanic in and around Bangalore ,any help will be appreciated.
Hi Breakneck,

As some members have suggested please get your engine checked by another mechanic.

Where is the Diesel Leaking From?

Where is the Engine Oil Leaking from?

Is the vehicle/Engine running?

Does it leak while running or when the engine is switched off?

Don't rush things you'll get ripped off.

Regards,

Arka

PS - It would be much easier if you post pics of the leaks.
Old 28th October 2010, 18:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Boss come down to mumbai and get in touch with pardawalla in chor bazar ,he is the king for engines,alaso visit cst road, it is wise to replace the engine then breaking your head with rebuilt job.

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 28th October 2010 at 18:40.
Old 29th October 2010, 09:13   #11
BHPian

Hi Arka,

diesel was leaking from the fuel filter and injectors,the filter leak was because of a mismatch of filter and sensor that has been has been fixed by replacing with a matching filter,and the injector leak has been fixed now with new washers.

its leaking oil from 4-5 different places

the vehicle is running but there is no pickup and lot of smoke from the exhaust,and it does not go above 110 and takes a long time to reach there.

i am not sure if it leaks when running,but when parked there are 4-5 spots of oil leak.

i am not in a hurry because the engine is running fine did a 1500 km trip with no problems just that i have to keep a tab on the oil level,the smoke is embarrassing and the power is significantly less compared to a similar aged pajero.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 24th February 2013 at 08:31. Reason: Made the quoted questions bold for better readability
Old 29th October 2010, 09:15   #12
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang language posts are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP. We advise you to visit our board rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 31st October 2010 at 19:46.
breakneck is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th October 2010, 10:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Second Opinion

Quote:
Hi Arka,

diesel was leaking from the fuel filter and injectors,the filter leak was because of a mismatch of filter and sensor that has been has been fixed by replacing with a matching filter,and the injector leak has been fixed now with new washers.

its leaking oil from 4-5 different places

the vehicle is running but there is no pickup and lot of smoke from the exhaust,and it does not go above 110 and takes a long time to reach there.

i am not sure if it leaks when running,but when parked there are 4-5 spots of oil leak.

i am not in a hurry because the engine is running fine did a 1500 km trip with no problems just that i have to keep a tab on the oil level,the smoke is embarrassing and the power is significantly less compared to a similar aged pajero.
Hi Breakneck,

What are different Places engine Oil is Leaking From?

Please post pics if possible.

Also try and download the Pajero Workshop Manual for you corresponding Model.

Why don't you take it to an Mitsubishi Authorised Service Centre for a Second Opinion.

Regards,

Arka
Old 29th October 2010, 11:26   #14
BHPian

You can find most of the Pajero Manual on this link
Directory /Auto/Japan/Mitsubishi/Pajero-Montero/Manuals/
Old 30th October 2010, 07:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I will PM you the number of the chap that maintains my car in Mysore. He does all the work on my car and is really good.

Most Viewed