Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2010, 15:40   #46
Senior - BHPian

I am guessing you have solved this issue, but will await your inputs.
Old 23rd November 2010, 15:59   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Hi Shibu,
So this is the one you were carrying in your LR via Hyderabad?
Good things happen to good people, I believe. You are lucky to have found this in a good condition and to top it all a 5 speed.
Now, how are your going to over come additional length of the 5 speed GB?
Wish you the best with your another build.
Regards,
Dear Fazal Sir, I found this engine and GB locally in Kerala.

Missed meeting you in Hyderabad, since we were running out of time.

In Defender, I was carrying a a Petrol Hurricane engine +T90 GB+Spicer 18 TC from Soumen's ( Kandisa) MM440 which I bought from him last year when I was in Delhi and I had to drop it in Nagpur last year during my Delhi - Cochin Expedition in my Rally prepped Gypsy, due to over weight. It is going to be used for my another petrol CJ3B project.

On the Trax, we managed to fix the extra length of the 5 Speed GB by cutting the length of the shaft by few inches and the GB & TC was connected successfully without shifting or modifying the GB or TC moutings.

I did a test drive after that, and there is a small vibration from the drive-line only during gear shifts.Need to sort that out now.

Regards
Shibu
Old 23rd November 2010, 16:06   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
I am guessing you have solved this issue, but will await your inputs.
Dear Santosh, The issued is resolved.

We managed to fix the extra length of the 5 Speed GB by cutting the length of the shaft by few inches and the GB & TC was connected successfully without shifting or modifying the GB or TC moutings.

Also we didn't cut the original shaft since it has the spline and tooth in it. May be its hard to find now if we break it, So decided to use a shaft from another Force vehicle and did the cutting and welding.

As mentioned in my previous post. But there is a small vibration from the drive line during gear shifts. Need to sort that out. Its nothing major, and I can live with it for time being.
Shibu
Old 23rd November 2010, 17:39   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
I did a test drive after that, and there is a small vibration from the drive-line only during gear shifts.Need to sort that out now.
Are Engine and GB rubber foundations twisting?

Check for alignment, Engine to GB, GB to Differential (slope/ angle of shaft from GB to rear Diff.) is too slant?
Old 1st December 2010, 19:30   #50

Quote:
Dear Santosh, The issued is resolved.

We managed to fix the extra length of the 5 Speed GB by cutting the length of the shaft by few inches and the GB & TC was connected successfully without shifting or modifying the GB or TC moutings.

Also we didn't cut the original shaft since it has the spline and tooth in it. May be its hard to find now if we break it, So decided to use a shaft from another Force vehicle and did the cutting and welding.

As mentioned in my previous post. But there is a small vibration from the drive line during gear shifts. Need to sort that out. Its nothing major, and I can live with it for time being.
Shibu
Hi Shibu, congrats on your new and rare find, simply awesome!!! I aqcuired a used 2003 model Judo from an ex airforce pilot 3 months back. It runs on the same OM 616NA, run only 55K Kms. Planning for a few cosmetic changes in the near future, suggestions are welcome from all.. BTW does the new engine that your are plonking have a turbo...Looks like a OM616 DI to me or is it the TD 2650 that serves the Traveller?
Looking forward to a lot of exchange of ideas from you...
Attached Images

Old 20th December 2010, 11:46   #51
BHPian

Re: Indian G Wagen, Built unlike any other! by Jeep Captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalbirdy View Post
Hi Shibu, congrats on your new and rare find, simply awesome!!! I aqcuired a used 2003 model Judo from an ex airforce pilot 3 months back. It runs on the same OM 616NA, run only 55K Kms. Planning for a few cosmetic changes in the near future, suggestions are welcome from all.. BTW does the new engine that your are plonking have a turbo...Looks like a OM616 DI to me or is it the TD 2650 that serves the Traveller?
Looking forward to a lot of exchange of ideas from you...
Dear royalbirdy, Thank you posting pic of your Judo.Good to see another Trax 4x4 owner here.
Yes the Engine I am plonking is a OM 616 DI Engine,Naturally aspirated.

Dear All,
Its been a while since I updated the thread. I was busy with the GMC event which lated got Jinxed and never happened. Then I got busy with work.

Here are some updates.
  1. Engine swap done.
  2. Brake booster sourced from Traveller and installed.
  3. Air Filter sourced from M&M Bolero installed
  4. Full interior floor cleaned and painted with anti rust Hammerton paint
  5. Full underbody and chassis cleaned and painted.
  6. Minor patch works on body done.
  7. New Spare tyre bought.
Now the picture updates.

OM 616 DI Engine

Indian G Wagen, Built unlike any other! by Jeep Captain.-img_0568.jpg

Air Filter sourced from M&M Bolero
Indian G Wagen, Built unlike any other! by Jeep Captain.-img_0571.jpg

Engine was a direct swap no mods to the foundation.
Indian G Wagen, Built unlike any other! by Jeep Captain.-img_0570.jpg

Brake Booster from Force Traveller.( I guess this is too big for Trax and now brakes are locking up even with half pedal)
Indian G Wagen, Built unlike any other! by Jeep Captain.-img_0569.jpg

Trax finally reached home.
Indian G Wagen, Built unlike any other! by Jeep Captain.-img_0572.jpg

Will post the Test Drive report soon which I did on both on road and off road.
Old 20th December 2010, 23:05   #52
Senior - BHPian

@ SHibu
waiting for the restoration and the end product. I hope it will be one of a kind.

@royalbirdy.
Nice vehicle you have there. I don't think Judo came in 4x4.

I think there are sharp edges which will restrict even air flow in the snorkel. Its a design flaw.
Old 22nd December 2010, 01:35   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
@ SHibu
waiting for the restoration and the end product. I hope it will be one of a kind.

@royalbirdy.
Nice vehicle you have there. I don't think Judo came in 4x4.

I think there are sharp edges which will restrict even air flow in the snorkel. Its a design flaw.
Hi SirAlec,

There were plenty of Judo 4X4s sold in the market untill Force decided to sunset it, even the Sri Lankan army bought a few in the recent past, now its only the Gurkhas that get the reliable transfer case and diff locks. Yes, the snorkel is an aftermarket kit and am looking for an original chrome unit like the one in Gurkha along with a host of other stuff. I guess this link will answer better.
Old 24th February 2011, 05:30   #54
BHPian

HI JeepCaptain. I went through almost all your threads and liked your 4x4 "Battalion" too. Your Trax 4x4 is coming along great. Any updates fro your side?
Old 3rd March 2011, 16:59   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
HI JeepCaptain. I went through almost all your threads and liked your 4x4 "Battalion" too. Your Trax 4x4 is coming along great. Any updates fro your side?
Dear madhkris, Thanks for your compliments. Yes I know the updates are long pending. Got busy with work and last 2 weeks I was attending Desert Storm Rally as official. Will update this thread soon.
Regards
Shibu Varghese aka Jeep Captain
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:16   #56
BHPian

First my best wishes for your judo restoration project ,which will be quite a novel endevour given the scarcity of second hand trax judo 4x4 .
I am looking forward to this unique project of yours
Dear Jeep captain ,I need advice on acquiring ,2000 model trax judo which i want to convert into 4 wheel drive.The judo is lying at my close friends place and he wants to get rid of it.So my query is that where can i procure the front wheel drive assembly ,of course second hand .
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:51   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
First my best wishes for your judo restoration project ,which will be quite a novel endevour given the scarcity of second hand trax judo 4x4 .
I am looking forward to this unique project of yours
Dear Jeep captain ,I need advice on acquiring ,2000 model trax judo which i want to convert into 4 wheel drive.The judo is lying at my close friends place and he wants to get rid of it.So my query is that where can i procure the front wheel drive assembly ,of course second hand .
Hi blueblooded , Thanks so much for your compliments. The first phase of restoration is done and I have done some real time testing of my TRAX. Will share the pics and results soon.

As you said Trax 4x4, Gurkha vehicles are very rare. The same is the issue with conversion of 2WD to 4wd which means It will be extremely difficult to find the front Axle assembly from scrap yards or scrap dealers.

Other option is you will have to look for brand new front axle assembly from the manufacturer and convert it.
So If you are getting the Judo for a good price.. go for it. And then we will see how we can convert it to 4x4.
Cheers
Jeep Captain
JeepCaptain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 18:26   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Hi blueblooded , Thanks so much for your compliments. The first phase of restoration is done and I have done some real time testing of my TRAX. Will share the pics and results soon.

As you said Trax 4x4, Gurkha vehicles are very rare. The same is the issue with conversion of 2WD to 4wd which means It will be extremely difficult to find the front Axle assembly from scrap yards or scrap dealers.

Other option is you will have to look for brand new front axle assembly from the manufacturer and convert it.
So If you are getting the Judo for a good price.. go for it. And then we will see how we can convert it to 4x4.
Cheers
Jeep Captain
Ah thats great ,so you have completed the first phase of restoration of the judo.I am eagerly waiting for the snaps of the current status of your project
You have really got a gem of a vehicle
The I discussed is MWB and would soon be discussing the price and the other stuff,one more catch is that it was registered as commercial vehicle and i will have to get it converted into private one .I dont know the exact procedure but i will soon get i know it .
Old 23rd May 2011, 19:24   #59
BHPian

Dear All,

After the Engine + GB upgrade and fixing all the mechanicals issues I did a small test drive in my farm, just to understand the vehicle more and its capabilities and disadvantages.

Attached are the pics.

The location where I parked, the clearance was too high,I couldnt get out the the vehicle. I had to jump 2 feet to the ground after hanging on to door for 30 secs. Check out the pics and you will know.

Indian G Wagen, Built unlike any other! by Jeep Captain.-img_0573.jpg

Indian G Wagen, Built unlike any other! by Jeep Captain.-img_0574.jpg

Indian G Wagen, Built unlike any other! by Jeep Captain.-img_0575.jpg

Indian G Wagen, Built unlike any other! by Jeep Captain.-img_0576.jpg

Indian G Wagen, Built unlike any other! by Jeep Captain.-img_0578.jpg

Indian G Wagen, Built unlike any other! by Jeep Captain.-img_0580.jpg

Indian G Wagen, Built unlike any other! by Jeep Captain.-img_0583.jpg

Indian G Wagen, Built unlike any other! by Jeep Captain.-img_0591.jpg

The Verdict was
Pros
1) Excellent approach angle due to short front overhang.
2) Loads of ground clearance Thanks to 235/80 R16 tyres and SPOA
3) Diesel Tank is well protected due to high mounting and tapered design in the bottom rear gives an effect of a skid plate.
4) New DI Engine is powerful and torquey than OM 616.
5) Suspension was much better than before.(Replaced all bushes and shocks)
6) Brakes were too good or over servoed.

Cons
1) It badly requires skid plate for the front since both the front lower arm brackets were hitting/scraping the ground.
2) Rear step needs to taken off.
3) Skid plate required for the Transfer Case ( Pics to follow)
4) Articulation on rear was limited - due to SPOA
5) NEXEN Rodian A/T Tyres proved ineffective in grass and slush.

Overall
I am happy with the test result since most of the cons were expected. The Major disappointment was the tyres.It also means I need new tyres.

More to follow....
Shibu Varghese
JeepCaptain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2011, 11:30   #60
BHPian

Quote:
4) Articulation on rear was limited - due to SPOA

Shibu I think a SPOA would actually improve articulation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks