Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2010, 17:29   #1
BHPian

Presenting My 2005 NGCS MM550 BEAST.

I was planning to write this since July but somehow couldn't. So at last here I am with my Beast. I got my TBHP registration approved on 16th July 2010

From then on the day never ends before you check whats happening on TBHP and the most important section is the 4x4 Excursion and 4x4 Vehicles. Whenever I use to see both the threads and what amazing job these 4x4 can do, my only wish was to buy or build one for myself and start with my offroading adventure.

It was always a JEEP thing, so their was no point in looking for Gypsy, hence my hunt was on to find a good jeep for myself in working condition and plan the Mods one by one as per my requirement. As I started working on my options, the first and foremost was to buy a Army Disposed MM550 and restore it, though the problem was I didn't had time and patience for it, thus the obvious choice was THAR and since all the reports about the THAR were positive, i had made up my mind that I shall wait for the year end and hopefully the THAR will be launched and I would be among one of the first buyers.

Though the fate had something else in store for me. On 20th July 2010, as usual i was browsing through the THAR thread to see if any launch dates or atleast some hints are posted, disappointed i closed the thread and was about to shutdown, when out of curiosity I opened the clasiified section at 02:00 a.m to see if any goodies are available. OMG, their is a NGCS MM550 for sale, from pictures it looked in good and working condition, now the fight between the Heart and Mind starts!

Heart: Thats a Damn good piece, lets go for it.
Mind: No point, the Thar shall be launched soon and we shall wait and buy it.
Heart: Still No confirmation on the launch date, that means we might loose on a good jeep.
Mind: The price is not justified.
Heart: Forget the price and look how many OTR's you can participate this season.
Mind: uhhhhh?
Heart: No point in waiting, we are getting a NGCS and Thar might not launch this Year.
Mind: uhhhhh?
Heart: Done we are going for it.

Atlast the Heart wins 75% battle and i finally go to sleep at around 05:00 a.m

The next morning, i.e., 21st I show the pictures of the JEEP to my DAD, who is equally Fanatic about these stuff (Lucky me), I tell him the advantages and the disadvantages of going for 550 or THAR. He is more impatient then me and asks me to call the owner and at least lets have a look at the JEEP and then decide. So I call SUV pilot and ask him to meet us, we fix an appointment for 22nd morning at a mutual destination. So the wait begins, I show the pictures of the jeep to my WIFE in the evening, who normally doesn't likes the JEEP but this was not one of those days, she LIKES it and infact is discussing on what mods are you planning?
Somehow everyone liking the JEEP, made me loose my intrest in buying it as these all things are no fun to buy, if their are no oppositions (Human Mentality or at least mine).

Anyhow, I and DAD get ready on 22nd morning to meet SUV pilot and reach the meeting point 15 mins prior to him, so the wait begins and finally the jeep arrives looking at it, i felt i have never seen a jeep so tall, the moment it came close to us, I and Dad were zapped. We do some examination of Rust and other parts and ask for a small test drive by this time it had started rainning cats and dogs, first i sit on the steering and drive it for 2 kms and then Dad. Both of us get down and ask SUV pilot to give us sometime. He says no problem, take your time and call me back. We ask him not to leave and wait for 5 mins.

Me: How is it?
DAD: BUY it.
Me: What?
DAD: Yes give him an offer and buy it.
Me: Are you sure you liked it that much.
DAD: Yes i did, what about you?
Me: (to myself: I liked it but I am confused).
Me: Its good barring some rusting here and there.
DAD: Forget that, just buy it.
Me: What about THAR.
DAD: We will see later. Right now, i want to drive it and go to OFFICE.
Me: Right now?
DAD: Yes, make him an offer and ask him to give delivery right away.

So, I start negotiating with SUV pilot and we close the deal on the road itself drenched in rain. I ask him to come along with me in the Office and by the time we reach his D.D shall be ready. Unfortunately he had not expected to close the deal like this, so was not carrying the original documents and wanted to change the Radial tyres and put Sand cum Highway Apollo bullets (though it was an option). Not knowing anything about offroading and tyres, i thought apollo bullet will be
better and asked him to change it. Now the problem was, i had to go with him to get the original documents and tyre changed and then get him to my office, sign the deal and take the delivery. This almost occupied my entire day, but FINALLY we were the PROUD owners of 2005 NGCS 550.

This how the Jeep was at the time of Delivery, actually the Pictures are from Alfa kilo Lavassa Trail, my first OTR.

Presenting My 2005 NGCS MM550 BEAST.-img_9651.jpg

Presenting My 2005 NGCS MM550 BEAST.-our-mm-1.jpg

Presenting My 2005 NGCS MM550 BEAST.-our-mm-2.jpg

Presenting My 2005 NGCS MM550 BEAST.-our-mm-3.jpg

Presenting My 2005 NGCS MM550 BEAST.-our-mm.jpg

Presenting My 2005 NGCS MM550 BEAST.-p1100022.jpg

In My Next post, I shall update the changes done in my Beast their on, As of today it is in altogether new Avatar. A Project well done by Xtreme Power (Thank you Buddy).
4x4 cruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2010, 17:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

you are one lucky son my friend.

nice writeup.
waiting for your next post.

Nikhil

BTW it was my 555th post.

Last edited by jeepster : 11th November 2010 at 17:59.
Old 11th November 2010, 18:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

First and foremost congratulations on acquiring a almost new NGCS 550
Saw the pictures of the extreme powered Jeep on FB. Its really awesome. Allan has done a good job. Let them pictures roll.
Old 11th November 2010, 18:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Get some pics on Mate and you sure are a lucky man to have a Dad like that who gets more interested than you. My dad thinks of a vehicle as a set of wheels used to travel from point a to b.
Old 11th November 2010, 20:07   #5
BHPian

That's a great looking Jeep and congrats buddy. Hope to see more pics of your jeep in action. All the best.
Old 12th November 2010, 09:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congratz on the new buy dude, she looks amazing. Please post more pix, especially of the interior.

But just 1 qn, how come a 2005 model has already been disposed from the army? Are NGCS models available in auctions now?
Old 12th November 2010, 10:06   #7
BHPian

Your Jeep looks clean, Congratulations on your NGCS MM550

Can you please share the Details of Engine,Gearbox and transfer case details ?

Just want to know whether its a Legend with out the Signature .

- Sreejesh
Old 12th November 2010, 13:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase.

Sreejesh , same block as the previous 550 but with a 5 speed box.
Old 12th November 2010, 13:40   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
same block as the previous 550 but with a 5 speed box.
@bigman: I think they continued with 4-Speed until 2006/2007.
Old 12th November 2010, 15:20   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
you are one lucky son my friend.

nice writeup.
waiting for your next post.

Nikhil

BTW it was my 555th post.
I am surely a lucky son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
First and foremost congratulations on acquiring a almost new NGCS 550
Saw the pictures of the extreme powered Jeep on FB. Its really awesome. Allan has done a good job. Let them pictures roll.
I will reveal it shortly, mostly by today evening, if work permits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Get some pics on Mate and you sure are a lucky man to have a Dad like that who gets more interested than you. My dad thinks of a vehicle as a set of wheels used to travel from point a to b.
Desmo, I am seriously proud of my dad, never stopped me in acheving what i wanted and the best part is he is equally intrested in these adventures and different type of Vehicles.

Thank you guys for all the compliments but wait till today evening or tommorrow, the real Beast is yet to come.

It is running on a XD3p Engine and 4 speed gearbox.

Ravi.
Old 12th November 2010, 23:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sorry if i am breaking the suspense.

But doesn't this had a recent face lift by Alan recently. By god it looks very handsome now.

share those images man.
Old 13th November 2010, 11:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the MM550. It sure is a very capable vehicle and I miss mine, at times.
Additionally the MM550 looks amazing in its makeover.
I have some more questions to ask, but would wait for you to post the new pics.
Congrats once again.
Cheers
Old 16th November 2010, 16:02   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Sorry if i am breaking the suspense.

But doesn't this had a recent face lift by Alan recently. By god it looks very handsome now.

share those images man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Congrats on the MM550. It sure is a very capable vehicle and I miss mine, at times.
Additionally the MM550 looks amazing in its makeover.
I have some more questions to ask, but would wait for you to post the new pics.
Congrats once again.
Cheers
Thank you Sir Alec & Harjeev, yes i will post the pics soon.

Sorry for delay in update, after the 1st OTR, I realised that these appollo bullets are no good, so had to change it immediately to Maxxis Bighorns, so next week i ordered myself alloys and Maxxis bighorns, 31/10.5/15. Could immediately feel the change in the grip at Independence day OTR, the Jeep performed extremely well. Here are some pictures after changin it to Bighorn and changed the Front Bumper as well.

Presenting My 2005 NGCS MM550 BEAST.-_mg_2964.jpg

Presenting My 2005 NGCS MM550 BEAST.-_mg_2966.jpg

Presenting My 2005 NGCS MM550 BEAST.-_mg_2968.jpg

Presenting My 2005 NGCS MM550 BEAST.-_mg_2972.jpg

Presenting My 2005 NGCS MM550 BEAST.-_mg_2976.jpg

So finally after this post shall be the current avatar of the Jeep. Wont delay this time.
4x4 cruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2010, 17:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Which wheels are you running? Can you share price and from where you purchased them. Its really wicked.
Old 16th November 2010, 19:56   #15
BANNED

a Similar looking set of wheels

Hi Ravi, recently I saw a Jeep with a similar looking set of wheels , though it was parked ,I was at the opposite side of the road & couldnt stop .

The guy seemed to be having a little relaxed nap , so I thought it would be inappropriate to disturb him.

btw a very Cute looking Jeep that was , convert yours like that .It will look awosome.
Presenting My 2005 NGCS MM550 BEAST.-dscn0871.jpg
Sudarshan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks