Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:54   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
THAR DI will be offered in 4wd as an option. But CRDe will be made only in 4wd.
@Jaggu. Vinod has said that the Thar Di will be available in 4wd.

Last edited by pjbiju : 3rd December 2010 at 10:55.
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:58   #92
BHPian

For Extreme off roading or Events we have always custom made vehicles.which can be customized for a perticular Job. How Can you Ask to a Automobile Company that I need this and that ,I don't need this like stuff ? Is there any Automobile company in the World sell vehicles like that ? so the solution is give a right platform which is reliable and capable . If they launched a vehicle that can only used for Extreme off roading How many will buy it ? Or else if they made a vehicle with on road and off road ability what will be the price of that vehicle ? So Thar Mdi and CRDi are 2 differrent platforms for normal users as well as extreme Off roaders. they can choose from the two and customise it.

Off topic : Right now I am going to take the delivery of my new Bolero SLE.

Last edited by sreejeshmp : 3rd December 2010 at 11:02.
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:06   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
No dear, no 4x4 just Mdi and front fixed axle with BS3 engine. I wish it was atleast 4x4!
yes 4x4 MDi Thar available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Yes.
4x4 option available.
Spike
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:29   #94
Team-BHP Support

Oops I stand corrected, I got confused with spikes "Incorrect" remarks as a reply, in one of the earlier post. I think he was referring to ratios there. I shall correct the peep post.

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd December 2010 at 11:35.
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:55   #95
Senior - BHPian

i think M&M is committing a marketing disaster by calling this thing a Thar. The Thar is supposed to be a premium offering, and i really don't think the buyers paying 7+ for the 'Real' Thar will appreciate the same name being used in a basic jeep which may be used to carry stuff in the market.

Quote:

Athey launch Thar Crde close to 9 lakhs OTR BLR which is a big possibility . (They will come up with a set of alloys, some horrendous bull bar and bucket seats for this)

Don't forget the 'muscular' walrus grille!!
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:18   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
For Extreme off roading or Events we have always custom made vehicles.which can be customized for a perticular Job. How Can you Ask to a Automobile Company that I need this and that ,I don't need this like stuff ? Is there any Automobile company in the World sell vehicles like that ? so the solution is give a right platform which is reliable and capable . If they launched a vehicle that can only used for Extreme off roading How many will buy it ? Or else if they made a vehicle with on road and off road ability what will be the price of that vehicle ? So Thar Mdi and CRDi are 2 differrent platforms for normal users as well as extreme Off roaders. they can choose from the two and customise it.
Thank goodness, my thoughts have some company on Tbhp finally!

Quote:
Congratulations, good choice...just after the THAR though

@JayD: The Design of THAR is not conducive to the so called walrus grill fitment, hence I really doubt thats gonna happen.

Last edited by The Wolf : 3rd December 2010 at 12:24.
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:34   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So Thar Mdi and CRDi are 2 differrent platforms for normal users as well as extreme Off roaders. they can choose from the two and customise it.
No Sreejesh, not really the case. MDi is BSIII and CRDi is BSIV.
That basically means to say, for all of us who stay in places where BSIV is the rule, we are left with just the CRDi option.
Anyways, Congratulations on the new Bolero!
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:52   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For Extreme off roading or Events we have always custom made vehicles. Which can be customized for a perticular Job. How Can you Ask to a Automobile Company that I need this and that ,I don't need this like stuff ? Is there any Automobile company in the World sell vehicles like that ? so the solution is give a right platform which is reliable and capable . If they launched a vehicle that can only used for Extreme off roading How many will buy it ? Or else if they made a vehicle with on road and off road ability what will be the price of that vehicle ? So Thar Mdi and CRDi are 2 differrent platforms for normal users as well as extreme Off roaders. they can choose from the two and customise it.

Congratz on your new Bolero!

I agree to your post that we are expecting too much from M&M. To be fair to them they were always clear that they can provide only a basic platform mostly due to stringent arai norms, which can be customized at dealership for your requirement. And if you look at it world over apart from some niche makers, rest all provide capable platforms.

Most important question when we had all this discussion, the crux was how much is going to be the base platform (cost)? General feedback was anything beyond 6 lakhs Ex showroom might not attract the right attention. Add another 1.5-1.8 lakh for registration, insurance etc. OTR price goes to 7.5 lakh to 7.8 territory. Fair enough if it comes with a decent interiors and slightly upmarket feel to it.

Assuming dealer options like AC and M&M version of LSD will take another lakh which will make it 9 lakhs which is close to Scorp territory. What kind of sales can we expect for such a 2 door soft top machine??

So obviously one needs to use a different channel to rake in numbers to justify production. Which is MM550 with Di. Since a Di will keep the cost down and it still has market outside city and a void in that segment, it works brilliant.

Ideally to give the 9 lakh vehicle an edge, an exclusive brand name would have been good?? That's my thought, i may be in the minority.

Very honest question to all, how much would you pay for all these base models? Please share your pricing thoughts, it would be interesting direction to move this topic.

Ex, showroom price that you would pay for:

MM 550 Di 4x2 (Thar Junior):
MM 550 Di 4x4 (Thar Junior++):
The Thar Crde 4x4:
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:05   #99
BHPian

Finally...gasp... was turning blue holding my breath. Hope that the price won't make me rush back to the arms of the Bolero VLX. There is only so much a man can spend on adventure toys. Good news anyway though wish we townies could get just the Thar junior for fun.
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:12   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaunfa View Post
Finally...gasp... was turning blue holding my breath. Hope that the price won't make me rush back to the arms of the Bolero VLX. There is only so much a man can spend on adventure toys. Good news anyway though wish we townies could get just the Thar junior for fun.
So why dont you start the price war? share your magic price for all the ^^^ versions. Really would be an interesting discussion then
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:19   #101
Senior - BHPian

Thar MDi - 4.3L ex showroom
Thar CRDe - 6.2L ex showroom
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:22   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ex, showroom price that you would pay for:

MM 550 Di 4x2 (Thar Junior):
MM 550 Di 4x4 (Thar Junior++):
The Thar Crde 4x4:
OK Jaggu, Maybe i start this. It was maybe a little more than one year back, when i was PMing BD and roaming around Bangalore asking every mahindra dealer, if they could get me a new 550.
Here is my expectation on the pricing. All Ex-Showroom prices.
MM 550 Di 4x2 (Thar Junior): 5 Lakhs
MM 550 Di 4x4 (Thar Junior++): 5.50 to 5.75 Lakhs
The Thar Crde 4x4: 6.75 to 7 lakhs

Cheers,
Deepak

PS: Keeping in mind the price of CL550 MDI and Gypsy an year back

Last edited by starter : 3rd December 2010 at 13:24.
Old 3rd December 2010, 14:00   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Here is my expectation on the pricing. All Ex-Showroom prices.
MM 550 Di 4x2 (Thar Junior): 5 Lakhs
MM 550 Di 4x4 (Thar Junior++): 5.50 to 5.75 Lakhs
The Thar Crde 4x4: 6.75 to 7 lakhs

Cheers,
Deepak
The above will be my expectation too but as on-road prices in Bangalore where we get mothered by state tax which I guess is the highest among all the states in India.

M&M should start considering the state specific costs as well before tagging a price to their product sometimes I feel. That way they will win peoples hearts for one more reason, a big one at that this time around! I may sound too imposing here but hey "Nothing else will do" slogan should deliberate something more that the ones that will do too out there right??!!!
Old 3rd December 2010, 14:04   #104
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Gypsy is nowhere close to MM's on ride aspect.
Yes finish is better in gypsy but no great shakes.
My 1st Jeep was a Gypsy(1000) in 96. Then I bought a used 550, apart from not being diesel, Gypsy was better in most areas.

Quote:
1000 was not that sluggish, again i have used both 1000 and esteem for over a lakh km. Yes esteem was powerful but not that 1000 was that bad that people (common man) would not buy it.
I think we bought a 1000 in 93-4(don't exactly remember but we bought soon after its launch), this was replaced with an Esteem(again within 4 months of launch). Now why did we replace the 1000? It was because we found it underpowered & A.C. sucked what remained. Resale was a disaster too.

Now, why did no company launch a 1000cc mid-size car since then? Because for a car with a boot, its a small capacity. Minimum you would come across would a 1.2L unit doing duty under the hood of a saloon.

Apart from this, it was a well know fact that 1000 was not a successful car. Even the Gypsy with 1000cc unit felt terribly under-powered.

But why are we discussing the 1000 in That thread at all, the market dynamics have completely changed since then! There are much recent egs. to follow, eg. the Bolero(Thars cousin).

Quote:
it will be used more by M&M to create an impression its upmarket and demand a higher price
With just BS3, their choices are limited. A higher price may give them initial numbers but soon the market will dry out. I don't have Major's sales figures but guess that it did not sell in high nos.

Quote:
Thar has to be better packaged if it has to sell the concept to a yupiee. It needs to have more substance since its going to be priced higher, mostly way higher. India wants VFM and i have doubts the current Crde Thar pricing is going to be that, do you think otherwise?
Yes I've been saying from the start, better packaged = VFM. Indian consumer is very aware now but MM might try to exploit the solo player advantage.

Quote:
Well whats in a name? Everything is in the name, coz name is what creates a brand and the image.That's my point. When M&M sells many Di in rural market and few Crde in urban market
Im more like, 1st product then name. If you have a good product at hand, you can play with the name. I wouldn't care a tiny rat's *** if Thar were to be called, Sahara, Brahmputra, Khar(khardungla), goldie, bunty, tomy, etc. All I want is a good Jeep, got nothing to do with the name!

Last edited by AWD : 3rd December 2010 at 14:06.
Old 3rd December 2010, 14:23   #105
BHPian

Thar war parabellum?

Quote:
So why dont you start the price war? share your magic price for all the ^^^ versions. Really would be an interesting discussion then
Not meaning to start a war but I would love it if it could come in hand(on road) for six and a half. Otherwise my dreams will be shattered...sob...how come there is no teary eyed emoction?

Over to the real road warriors.

P.S. On second thoughts, I will still go out and buy it, long as it doesn't hit Scorpio prices. 8 years with the Mahindras, damn I 'm married to the mob.

Last edited by chaunfa : 3rd December 2010 at 14:26.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed