Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What chassis does this have, same as Major? We know Thar is supposed to have Scorpio chassis.
Major is way smaller and narrower! "THAR MDi" is a NGCS set up.

Samurai/Sharat: Presuming that you have changed the name of the thread from "Thar" to "MDI Thar", Id like for you to re-change my thread's name to "THAR MDi" instead of the other way around please, thanks! Naming convention is the model name and then the variant.

Hey Guys: Expected on-road price in Bangalore for the 4x4 variant is 6.25L.

@Deepak/Starter: Thank you.

@Spitfire: Did not give out the showroom name as they prefer it that way for now. Supposedly this vehicle is a training vehicle for the service engineers and not a display piece. This is what is told to me, please dont quote me if you hear anything otherwise.

There will be a 4x4 variant in this one too, as confirmed to me. I also hear that the 4.88 ratio will be made available by Mahindra as a true off road in house upgrade for enthusiasts like us who want that little bit more crawl!

Will update more news and photos shortly...

Last edited by The Wolf : 2nd December 2010 at 14:10.
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:16   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - Thank you all for your comments (it's indeed nice to be back on a Thar thread after a long time). You wanted a solid axle vehicle also. Well, you have it now, the best of both worlds. .

Happy?

However, the "best things in life" are worth waiting for, a l'il bit more time .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:20   #33
Senior - BHPian

thanks DHABHAR.BEHRAM sir.

i always wanted solid front axle.
thanks to you & all Thar team i have option of OKBJ.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:03   #34
BHPian

Does anyone have the detail on the price? For a 4wd variant
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

Wishes come true

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
This will be available in 4WD. It is a completely different animal from Thar CRDe except for the sheet metal. Chasis & Power train is completely different.

Thar MDI
MDI3200TC Engine
NGT520 with T18 Transfer CAse
NGCS Chasis
51 Inch Track

The 4x4 version of Thar MDI won't compete with the Thar CRDe as the Thar CRDe will be priced much higher and targeted at a different client base. The Thar MDI 4x4 is targeted at the Major, Invader buyers.

As Arka pointed out we only need to add 57 track from the NGCS 550s that will hit Mayapuri in a year or so, upgrade tires, FFRA and you have a great solid axle 4WD.
Guys,
THAR Di is the answer to every one's wish of a plain, simple, reliable and effective workhorse that Team Bhpians and off road traditionalists wanted- This includes myself !!
Some of you sensed this was coming, though THAR CRDe was discussed every where this vehicle was always kept under wrap for you all to get pleasently surprised!

As tini has rightly put it, CRDe THAR and THAR Di are addressed at altogether different TG's. CRDe is expected to address personal segment needs and THAR Di is expected to address those who are on budget and need just a plain jane work horse.

I would say- ' Picture Abhi Baaki hai mere dost'. THAR CRDe is coming with a bang. THAR CRDe is a different animal altogether!

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 2nd December 2010 at 15:07.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Surprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
where this vehicle was always kept under wrap for you all to get pleasently surprised!
Hi Vinod,

Lagey Raho!!!!!

I think we are relieved, that there is a Real JEEP, back in the market which can be "MODIFIED" for Off-Road Performance.

I think M&M economics couldn't let it live for long with out a replacement for the CL550MDI, we are touched nevertheless.

And since this is the Mildest form of the MM550, we know what to do with it.

There has been some changes done to it which are obviously visible.

1) Rear Shackle mount has been lowered. In the NGCS MM550 the rear shackle was longer and bolted in the Chassis.

2) The MDI3200TC has a more rounded sump, still without a guard.

3) the Major Style Tail Gate instead of the post 2002 MM550 Tail Gate, with the swing away spare tyre carrier.

4) Remote Bonnet/Hood Release along with Bonnet Catch

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 2nd December 2010 at 15:33. Reason: addl info
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:55   #37
Senior - BHPian

Isnt it amazing to see the urban warriors are singing rural songs in full volume. Kudos to Mahindra, these guys are the only folks that seem to have any heart for mindless demands we blokes make

This attitude will take Mahindra folks a long way due to pure fan follow, almost cult like!

I LOVE THE THAR!!!
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:01   #38
Team-BHP Support

Atleast this will be better off in water wading once it comes with a 4x4 tranny But BSIII!! So will have to find an alternate address to buy one!!!

But very honestly Thar name dragged into this one was a VERY BAD IDEA! There goes the branding exercise for a royal toss!!!
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:14   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
But very honestly Thar name dragged into this one was a VERY BAD IDEA! There goes the branding exercise for a royal toss!!!
I disagree. Majority of the sales for the Thar MDi will be the regular buyers of Majors and MM540/550. Thar CRDe numbers will be limited and will be smaller compared to the MDi numbers, as this will cater to the enthusiasts.
So the regular customer will be happy to see the name Thar on his vehicle which adds to the "feel good" factor associated with the upmarket Thar CRDe. These are the people that bring in the sales number.
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:18   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
So the regular customer will be happy to see the name Thar on his vehicle which adds to the "feel good" factor associated with the upmarket Thar CRDe. These are the people that bring in the sales number.
On the other hand the premium buyer who really feel good about the brand name will think twice.

Do you think the Mdi buyer who are really looking for a workhorse, will be bothered with the Thar or Safari badge on it? more than the M&M name that they trust? I really dont think so.
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:26   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Vinod,

Lagey Raho!!!!!

I think we are relieved, that there is a Real JEEP, back in the market which can be "MODIFIED" for Off-Road Performance.

I think M&M economics couldn't let it live for long with out a replacement for the CL550MDI, we are touched nevertheless.

And since this is the Mildest form of the MM550, we know what to do with it.

There has been some changes done to it which are obviously visible.

1) Rear Shackle mount has been lowered. In the NGCS MM550 the rear shackle was longer and bolted in the Chassis.

2) The MDI3200TC has a more rounded sump, still without a guard.

3) the Major Style Tail Gate instead of the post 2002 MM550 Tail Gate, with the swing away spare tyre carrier.

4) Remote Bonnet/Hood Release along with Bonnet Catch

Regards,

Arka

Hey Arka,
Now you and tini have every thing, just remove those axles from your old vehicle and put it on new THAR Di 4wd. There you have a rocking machine just like you wanted!! The chassis is same as army one but only thing is that perch points are alterted as it doesnt have to take that monster 7.50 -16 tyre. And yes the steering here is manual RCBT.

For some of you who do not know, THAR DI and CRDe uses the same body as that of Army. Heavy guage pure steel!!

So are you booking THAR Di 4wd now?...you better do it!! .

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 2nd December 2010 at 16:32.
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:29   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Arka - I guess you are happy now. Frankly, it was quite difficult to "digest" all your comments about "not giving" rigid axle and still keeping absolutely quiet about it. It was worth it because we were quietly enjoying ourselves. .

Dear Wolf (Ritesh) - your comments say it all. That's why we are fortunate to work for The Best Customer-Centric Company in India, MAHINDRA & MAHINDRA LTD.

The first rule of customer centricity that we believe in is - GIVE THE CUSTOMER EXACTLY WHAT HE WANTS, AND GIVE IT TO HIM AGAIN - AND AGAIN - AND AGAIN - AND AGAIN - AND AGAIN!

All of you know my "Black Thar" and the way she flies! The best is yet to come. .

Enjoy !!!!!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:34   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
On the other hand the premium buyer who really feel good about the brand name will think twice.
Do you think the Mdi buyer who are really looking for a workhorse, will be bothered with the Thar or Safari badge on it? more than the M&M name that they trust? I really dont think so.
I believe a premium buyer would look at other alternatives if he needs a 4x4.

Thar is for the enthusiasts who do not care about the brand association with the MDi variant. This is the very reason we see enthusiasts buying MM540/550 for restoration, which are no way associated with premium or luxury.

But in the end, both the arguments hold true in some sense.
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:40   #44
Team-BHP Support

Vinod, I think it is time to change this page: Mahindra Corporate

Finally there is a new Jeep with doors and solid axle. How loud is the MDi engine when compared to the CRDe engine? What is the power/torque figure of the MDi engine?
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:41   #45
Senior - BHPian

Final Prices

By when will the final pricing of Thar Di will be known? If it is only BSIII, then there is no way people living in the bigger cities can buy them, right? Or is this BSIV compliant?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed