Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 23:45   #76
Senior - BHPian

guys please stick to the topic that is new mm 550 MDi.

as far as Thar is concerned just wait for its launch.

i don't want this thread to be closed as other Thar related threads are.
Old 2nd December 2010, 23:49   #77
Senior - BHPian

If the M&M folks are able to launch the THAR MDi for/under 5.75L on road and CRDe for/under 7.25L (Bangalore), I bet we will only see jeeps on road...irrespective of whether its city or rural roads. That way even if the margins are lowered the profits by volumes will keep the M&M employees well taken care of. This they can do coz anyway they are not cutting into Scorpio and Bolero's sales as someone who has the budget and wants a hard top will always go for one anyway...so from this end the trickle ins stays as a given/constant. I do not want to touch the income M&M can generate through the sale of accessories, spares and servicing to add.

@Jeepster: We have to change certain assumptions we have grown to build around our foresight of what the THAR ought to be. This is a variant of THAR and so will continue to be irrespective of what some may want to call it from outside the fence, internet forums, magazines or non M&M endorsed arenas. M&M guys never claimed that they wouldnt launch a variant in THAR, its only us who thought that the THAR will only be in the CRDe version and none lesser coz we wouldve loved to see the THAR only in that avatar, its in our mind. Its only human to react like some of us are at this time, its only a change management issue, it will all settle once we give ourselves some time to reconcile and, see a few machines beat old benchmarks during OTRs

M&M will do what is profitable to them, we as consumers hold the power to make them be what we individualistically believe they should be. Lets use our power if we think they are being unfair to us. Personally, I am with M&M for whatever they have heard from aam janata like us. Having said that, I am expecting these vehicles to fall in a particular price bracket, if they dont I will use my power, not that it will hurt M&M but that way I can pacify my ego and console my broken heart.

Last edited by Mpower : 3rd December 2010 at 00:16.
Old 3rd December 2010, 00:18   #78
BHPian

is this new mm 550 MDi comes with a PS and AC ? any clue of the price ? If the real Thar comes with Crdi and Scorpio engine can it be better to go for the Scorpio base version instead unless there is a big price advantage ?
Old 3rd December 2010, 00:43   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
This is a variant of THAR and so will continue to be irrespective of what some may want to call it from outside the fence, internet forums, magazines or non M&M endorsed arenas. M&M guys never claimed that they wouldnt launch a variant in THAR, its only us who thought that the THAR will only be in the CRDe version and none lesser coz we wouldve loved to see the THAR only in that avatar, its in our mind. Its only human to react like some of us are at this time, its only a change management issue, it will all settle once we give ourselves some time to reconcile and, see a few machines beat old benchmarks during OTRs
If this is the way M&M creates the hype for a product and if humans like us are going to be kewl with it and preach that their marketing funda if fine. Then god save the Indian customer!

Whole point is not about Ego or pacifying one's mind as some might think. The civil discussion so far was about diluting a brand name, which as far as i remember many from this forum and other 4x4 forum had contributed to. Much more than M&M.

At the end of the day its M&M's decision and we can do nothing about it, if they launch Thar Crde close to 9 lakhs OTR BLR which is a big possibility . (They will come up with a set of alloys, some horrendous bull bar and bucket seats for this) At that point in time we can again create a 10 page hullabullah discussion. Nothing is going change, however influential one may think he is.

At the end of the day offroad community should benefit, thats all some of us have in our mind. But the chances of any assistance apart from Great escapes are slim from M&M, at this point of time lol

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd December 2010 at 01:11.
Old 3rd December 2010, 02:50   #80
BHPian

Thank you M&M. Thanks a lot!!!

Thats a really great news. Thanks Wolf for starting this thread.
A new jeep with NGCS & 4WD. WoW.

I think Thar name for the Brand will be a good choice as it symbolizes 'New Mahindra Jeeps' So one is MDi & another is CRDe. Fair enough. Styling is same but different class, different target customers. We should not bother much at this moment as prices are not yet disclosed.

Lets wait & keep our fingers crossed & hopefully our wallets Happy

Dear BD Sir & Thar Team,
Thanks a lot!!
Agar tum na hote... to kuch bhi na hota.
Old 3rd December 2010, 07:24   #81
Senior - BHPian

Are you reading a different thread from what everyone else is reading? This jeep is 2WD only. They have not launched a 4WD version yet and until they do, as is the way with M&M, there is no guarantees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Even if prices are disclosed you CANNOT buy and register one unless you have a rural address. This is a crying shame! I have got an address so it isn't an issue for me but what about a majority of the off-roading community?

Vinod Nookala has conveniently stated in his post that we should not look at this as IFS vs Solid axle but it is clear that Solid Axle is the platform of choice for off-roading. We have all seen the Thar IFS performing during OTRs with it's engine of unknown power and torque (but clearly not the production version) and unknown differentials (with or without lockers or LSD?). Basically what was at EXAMM and AKC was not the Thar. It looked like the Thar and was proclaimed to be the Thar but subsequent posts of mysterious quality made us aware that it's beauty was definitely not skin deep.

I didn't think it was all that great off-road either. Tackling obstacles by crushing the foliage and jackhammering the rocks into submission is not off-roading. The Thar was driven without any care for the mechanicals and survivability. Nobody drives like that off-road. We also saw how IFS was inferior to Solid Axle on many occasions where the "Thar" bottomed out on rocks while attempting a climb.

Frankly I am a bit disappointed that this vehicle could not be made BS-IV compliant and I am sure enough that the reason is not technical but purely sales driven.

You want solid axle??

Well you can't have it! Here..why don't you take this IFS instead and pay us 2-3L more!

Sad really
Old 3rd December 2010, 08:47   #82
BANNED

Vinod: Are you planning for any offer like.. "Exchange your Old Mahindra Jeep for a Brand New THAR" ?

B.D Sir: I wish you all the best for your Pet project!
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:11   #83
BHPian

Still I don't undrstand how a Solid Axle can perform better than IFS ?

How can you say it without proper testing ?

Is there any 4x4 with front solid axil in production rather than M&M ?

What is exactly we looking from a Jeep ? I still belive a jeep means go anywere vehicle with peace of mind(low maintenance ) so if IFS can give little more comfort then what is the prolem ?

I don't think maintenance will be a problem cos If you can spend 7-10K for a tire with out any guarantee why can't for a lower arm ?

I think we have a problem If some one is not ok with a new product he will try to make another 10 to the same.We still not ready to accept changes or not even ready to think on a different angle!

According to me if 4x4 Thar MDi is coming with a price tag under 5.5L its the best for some on who need a Jeep for Offroading and don't need to spend mony and time for rebuilding a MM550.

I think Thar CRDi is the best if you want a Real modern Jeep which can be used as both daily drive and off road.Mahindra please give us A Hard top AC,LSD even as an option .

The Thar CRDi without AC & HT should come around 6.5L OTR and with AC/HT/LSD around 7L On The road.Then Its wotht buying a Jeep and continue to say "Its a Jeep Thing ".
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:22   #84
BANNED

And i thought this one which i saw was Thar...!

Some pics, courtesy Dhabhar Behram sir, who was kind enough in letting us get a close glimpse of this BEAST.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar MDi Thread (more pics at page 24)-imag_0791.jpg  

Mahindra Thar MDi Thread (more pics at page 24)-imag_0792.jpg  

Old 3rd December 2010, 09:46   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Still I don't undrstand how a Solid Axle can perform better than IFS ?

How can you say it without proper testing ?
Articulation, Dependability, Cost and sheer off-road performance. I am not talking about a drive to Ladakh or on the beach. Look at the GMC thread for the kind of terrain that will make you go weak in the knees.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-technical/53548-independent-front-suspension-ifs-good-offroading-6.html

A good read...with pictures as well.
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:07   #86
Senior - BHPian

why are you guys comparing IFS CRDE Thar with OKBJ MDi Thar.

FYI technically both are different vehicles with common body shell.

Last edited by jeepster : 3rd December 2010 at 10:25.
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:13   #87
Senior - BHPian

Comparing because for all practical purposes, us yuppy metro towners are stuck with the IFS Thar CRDE.
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:21   #88
Senior - BHPian

in that case you can debate about it in IFS CRDE THAR thread when its launched.

& as per mahindra official the launch is one month away. (jan 2011)

at least 80% of the buyers which are from non metro cities (people like me) are not stuck with CRDE option.

& out of 20% metro city buyers 10% will get MDi Thar on their rural address.

@ gsferrari
BTY are you planning to buy Thar because AFAIK you already have a gypsy.
& if not then why debate about it. (sorry if i offend you in any way)

Last edited by jeepster : 3rd December 2010 at 10:39.
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:38   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
in that case you can debate about it in IFS CRDE THAR thread when its launched.

& as per mahindra official the launch is one month away. (jan 2011)

at least 80% of the buyers which are from non metro cities (people like me) are not stuck with CRDE option.

Well I can debate about it wherever I damn well please until a Moderator feels I am out of line thank you.

Glad to know you aren't stuck with the CRDE option - have fun with the real offroading machine.
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:49   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
why are you guys comparing IFS CRDE Thar with OKBJ MDi Thar.

FYI technically both are different vehicles with common body shell.
Coz M&M started it by calling it Thaaaaaaar! Just kidding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
[/i]
No dear, no 4x4 just Mdi and front fixed axle with BS3 engine. I wish it was atleast 4x4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Comparing because for all practical purposes, us yuppy metro towners are stuck with the IFS Thar CRDE.
We have better choices in our gypsies and jimny's, dont worry yaar.

Quote:

True majority will be rural towns but the % split am not sure, anyways they also dont get 4x4 so no point in actually comparing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Well I can debate about it wherever I damn well please until a Moderator feels I am out of line thank you.
Arre baba not posting as mod, relax. First of all there is no 4x4 option with the tractor engine. Second they have not released the price. Once the price is announced lets starts this debate with more energy.

Right now what we know:
  • MM550 Di and Crde will be launched under same Thar name
  • Di is going to be fixed axle and 4x2 and an optional 4x4
  • Crde will be with 4x4 and IFS, which makes it a hmmmm, have to come out with a name for this
  • Prices are all speculation!

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd December 2010 at 11:34.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed