Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2010, 01:04   #136
Senior - BHPian

Based on the price difference between the Bolero SLX and Bolero VLX of about 50K apart from equipment difference between THAR MDi 4X4 and THAR CRDe 4x4 in form of better dash and front IFS, it shouldn't be more than 1 Lakh.

Considering Thar MDi 4X2 at 5L, THAR MDi 4x4 should be about 5.5 and THAR CRDe 4x4 for 6.5L

The above are all Ex-Showroom prices.
Old 4th December 2010, 01:10   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
+1 to it. that's what M&M did and still doing.
As a M&M customer from the old era, are you happy with this? and would like to hear your thoughts on the pricing aspect star_aqua

Good news i see is more off the shelf parts for you to play with.
Old 4th December 2010, 02:07   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
I got a chance to test drive the new Thar DI.
Thanks for the pics.
How was the drive like? I mean the overall feeling & the engine?

Thar Mdi & Thar CRDe:
I hope Shakespeare was still alive. Ek bar firse dialogue marta..

..........By any other name, it still would be a JEEP!!!!!

Thar CRDe has Adventure, Major had Souvenir .. so PS experts, what will be the SUPER Avatar of Thar MDi then? (Something better than Legend pls...)

There is a platform (or two), So IMO there will be many customizations & options.
(Just referring to one of the BD Sir's post way back in Thar thread.)
Old 4th December 2010, 09:26   #139
BHPian

I din't get a chance to drive it on the road just at their backyard. But when I cranked the engine I did't feel any difference from a Mahindra pik-up ! So and the overall gear shift is good,steering is not hard as the previous mm540s .I think it comes with the mahindra pik-up type steering box.
Old 4th December 2010, 09:33   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
As a M&M customer from the old era, are you happy with this? and would like to hear your thoughts on the pricing aspect star_aqua

Good news i see is more off the shelf parts for you to play with.
Am happy because all i have to buy is a brand new "THAR" sticker and mine will be THAR KMT90 if i change the engine
when ever i go down towards kerala i see lot of MAJORs and are they really MAJOR? no they are not. they are cl500di with inter di engine. when they go for re painting they come out as MAJOR with cl550mdi sticker on rear and MAJOR sticker below the windshield. i never found one single MAJOR there but still MAJOR is popular. though we all know MAJOR was a modern jeep, personally i did not like to own one just because of its name being used on rural taxis and that too not on a real MAJOR. i think many would have felt the same. for many of us we like our rides to be a head turner if not, at least a different vehicle which are unusual on road and people must be able to recognise it instead of people hand signalling you to stop at every bus stop thinking its a taxi. this is the main intention of one who owns a niche product. so how one would feel when he is driving THAR Crde on rural side and people hand signalling him at every bus stop?
anyways for the price it should not be more then 4.5lkh ex-showroom.
Old 4th December 2010, 10:10   #141
BHPian

Do the name plays a big role on Jeep market ? A normal jeep buyer needs a rough and tough reliable machine I think Thar DI can do it!
One of the reason for the low number sale of 540 was the Peugeot engine.Now the most trusted DI egine so this will be winner.

There was a time when both CL500 jeeps and MM540 are in market do they sold in same price tag ? Then whats the point asking a lesser price than a Major ?

Last edited by sreejeshmp : 4th December 2010 at 10:11.
Old 4th December 2010, 10:27   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
for many of us we like our rides to be a head turner if not, at least a different vehicle which are unusual on road and people must be able to recognise it instead of people hand signalling you to stop at every bus stop thinking its a taxi. this is the main intention of one who owns a niche product. so how one would feel when he is driving THAR Crde on rural side and people hand signalling him at every bus stop?
Oh, thank you, thank you. Finally somebody has put my feelings down in the right words.

For me brand is important not in the sense of snob value, but differentiation. Nobody mistakes my CJ340 for a rural transport even in the remotest part of the state. This is why we need our offroad steeds to have a different looks. If Thar CDRe and MDi look exactly same, we will be regularly mistaken on rural roads as transport Jeeps.

As of now that is not a problem because almost all offroading Jeeps are rebuilt for offroad needs and look very different than transport Jeeps.
Old 4th December 2010, 12:38   #143
Senior - BHPian

In that case even the THAR CRDe will be stopped by villagers if it is launched in the same avatar as the one we saw during OTRs. Villagers might still assume it to be some old repainted 540 and plead a drop, wouldnt they? Why were we singing excruciatingly happy hymns about it all these days then? Im being confused here!!!

I would buy a THAR for what its capable of, where it can take me and what it makes me feel each time I get in it, and as for the villagers I will wave a palm to them and say a healthy "Taking a shortcut, please excuse" to myself till they learn to differentiate between a shuttle and a personal vehicle

Low sales of MM540??!! no kidding please, there are thousands of em still running slick...police dept yards may narrate a rhetoric story here!!!

Last edited by The Wolf : 4th December 2010 at 12:47.
Old 4th December 2010, 12:55   #144
Team-BHP Support

We stopped asking once it was confirmed that it will be the exact body shape but expected/expecting slightly better trims. This was discussed to death in many threads. Then the badge, well that also is ruled out now lol

Rheotoric or not, 540 was not a big success in private domain.

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th December 2010 at 12:56.
Old 4th December 2010, 13:18   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
In that case even the THAR CRDe will be stopped by villagers if it is launched in the same avatar as the one we saw during OTRs. Villagers might still assume it to be some old repainted 540 and plead a drop, wouldnt they? Why were we singing excruciatingly happy hymns about it all these days then? Im being confused here!!!
In the rural roads I regularly travel (CKM/Coorg/Dk/Udupi), MM540/MM550 are usually private vehicles. It is the CL500 and Commander Jeeps that are used as rural transport. I guess doorless is keyword here.

But now things are going to change because Mahindra doesn't make doorless Jeeps anymore. Even the doored Jeeps will become rural transports now. I guess only noticeable feature will be the alloys, since Thar CDRe comes with alloys, that might provide the necessary differentiation.

Last edited by Samurai : 4th December 2010 at 13:19.
Old 4th December 2010, 18:05   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Am happy because all i have to buy is a brand new "THAR" sticker and mine will be THAR KMT90 if i change the engine
How about the Chasis? Leaf Springs, Steering Box, etc.. DI Thar is not just the DI Engine, there are a host of other improvements which makes it much sturdier than the older MM540.

Quote:
for many of us we like our rides to be a head turner if not, at least a different vehicle which are unusual on road and people must be able to recognise it instead of people hand signalling you to stop at every bus stop thinking its a taxi. this is the main intention of one who owns a niche product. so how one would feel when he is driving THAR Crde on rural side and people hand signalling him at every bus stop?
anyways for the price it should not be more then 4.5lkh ex-showroom.
Thar CRDe has the same body shape as the stock MM550/540 so Thar CRDe/DI cannot satisfy ego boost, you will have to go for a Pajero atleast. I have used a 540 extensively in Kerala, TN and for about a year in Bangalore. No one has tried to flag me down yet. I think we need to give some credit to the villages, they have a brain too and most can recognize a taxi from a private MM540. But anyway as I mentioned, the stock Thar is not going to help with ego boost. You will need some other vehicle for that or soup it up with big tyres etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
One of the reason for the low number sale of 540 was the Peugeot engine.Now the most trusted DI egine so this will be winner.
@sreejesh: I agree completely with this. The International/DI power train was the preferred version amongst masses. The 2.1 Peugeot mill was disliked due to lack of longevity. With DI, the 540 will gain some momentum.
Old 4th December 2010, 18:43   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I have used a 540 extensively in Kerala, TN and for about a year in Bangalore. No one has tried to flag me down yet. I think we need to give some credit to the villages, they have a brain too and most can recognize a taxi from a private MM540.
Exactly my Point, so it is true for Kerala too. MM540/MM550 are rarely mistaken for Jeep taxi, it is always the CL500 that is flagged down as taxi.
Old 4th December 2010, 21:19   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ex, showroom price that you would pay for:

MM 550 Di 4x2 (Thar Junior):
MM 550 Di 4x4 (Thar Junior++):
The Thar Crde 4x4:
Missed the fun, had been to Jeepland of KA - Coorg. Was roaming around in the 'naya'Commander, seriously - 'naya' was diagonally written over the commander - (it was a year old jeep, 18K on the ODO), sheesh -- M&M and their naming conventions. But the point is, the BS3-DI-TC was pretty smooth (over my current XDP4.9) and loved its torque in 2nd-low...!!

Jaggu - Pricingwise, see this.

Mahindra Thar MDi Thread (more pics at page 24)-1.jpg

How much would 2 doors, make it 3 (rear), all that steel for the roof, yada yada, middle row bench, 2 baby seats, roof lining, shortened chassis, etc etc weigh/cost??? I think all this 'should' buy a TC, 1 prop shaft, 1 pumpkin with crown/pinion inside it...

I am not even going to comment on the Crde, My take.

MM 550 Di 4x4 (Thar Junior++) - MAX 5,12,252 Ex.Shwroom
Old 4th December 2010, 21:41   #149
Senior - BHPian

mistaken identity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Oh, thank you, thank you. Finally somebody has put my feelings down in the right words.

If Thar CDRe and MDi look exactly same, we will be regularly mistaken on rural roads as transport Jeeps.

As of now that is not a problem because almost all offroading Jeeps are rebuilt for offroad needs and look very different than transport Jeeps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
In that case even the THAR CRDe will be stopped by villagers if it is launched in the same avatar as the one we saw during OTRs.
Thanks for your input guys. We have taken steps to differentiate both the vehicles at our end. Plus as Samurai has put it, THAR's used for personal purpose will never be mistaken as people carrier as some serious modifications would go into it to give it a personal identity by the owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Considering Thar MDi 4X2 at 5L, THAR MDi 4x4 should be about 5.5 and THAR CRDe 4x4 for 6.5L

The above are all Ex-Showroom prices.
hmnnn.....
Old 5th December 2010, 00:12   #150
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for my twin post, but see my answers in bold and yeah Jaggu, Iam taking your inputs in true spirit and i know being a 3B owner you are our well wisher. So keep pouring in your thoughts.

Quote:
- Thar was pitched in as an all out offroader for niche market. I have not seen a single commet about being BS3 or for semi-urban market being mentioned till very recently.

- Everyone knew it was coming with MM body shell, even objected to it lol

- Many of us knew about the Di coming to replace Major

Yes very true!! Many of the off road buffs like you sensed that MM550 NGCS was coming as a replacement of Major...but the shock was THAR branding on it, which according to you isnt good for us. Point well taken!

- Enough hype was created with Thar name, especially in offroad circles.

Not only hype Jaggu, it lived up to its hype and did every thig what our old humble jeeps did. What our old jeeps could not do is to over take it on the highway

- When Fixed axle and cheaper engine was discussed, they were dismissed off and Crdi and IFS was shown as in thing. Which will run circles, remember!

Even today, CRDe THAR 4wd is the thing!! There is no dilution here. We proved it and yes it did run circles in AKC remember ??

- Still no sign of the real Thar, with which the castle was built up in the minds of these expecting customers.

So, you felt Di THAR is launched and CRDe is seen nowhere? Just because you have some pics here? FYI- THAR as a brand is yet to get launched officially...and yes expect some one to click CRDe THAR pics also very soon.

In our chalta hein way of things, this is no big deal. I felt wrong expectation was created and now it will result in that brand dilution. Whatever is left of it.

We will give you what we showed you all in the form of THAR CRDe 4wd. Your expectations will be met and surpassed if possible. Let the buzz begin on THAR CRDe you know what iam talking about.

Why do i get a feeling that M&M will profit from this debate also.
Yes of course, we will benefit again! With so many valuable inputs how can we not benefit?

Last edited by vinod_nookala : 5th December 2010 at 00:20.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed