Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2010, 16:43   #211
BHPian

It's just a joke. You don't need to take it seriously.

We all read the other two Thar threads and now reading this one But nothing happend But We still discussing A stupid idea of Mahindra (I need one new generation Jeep so buying a CRDi ).

I hope this thread also going to die soon

Last edited by sreejeshmp : 6th December 2010 at 16:57.
Old 6th December 2010, 16:48   #212
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
We all read the other two Thar threads and now reading this one But nothing happend But We still discussing A stupid idea of Mahindra.
Huh what happened? I thought you were all excited about the launch?

See i don't think M&M can make much changes now, if the planned launch is in Jan 2011. Even as far as the pricing is concerned they are playing it safe with ample margin to justify production numbers.

Let's see how the product come out and hope they take care of finish issue atleast for the Crde, since it is being promoted as the premium version. I was shocked to see the rust spots and paint chips in the picture Sreejesh posted.
Old 6th December 2010, 16:51   #213
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
We still discussing A stupid idea of Mahindra. I hope this thread also going to die soon
MM's still not giving any word on it, so I guess its about time instead of wasting esteemed members precious time!
Old 6th December 2010, 16:53   #214
BHPian

Maybe not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
That case can happen with many rural buyers who are considering Thar MDi as a tourist/ workhorse vehicle.

I doubt that the Thar MDi will become a rural taxi/workhorse due to it's wheelbase. Nowadays people have more 'cram-worthy' options like the various Mahindra pick-ups/campers/Savari Tata 207 etc. which can carry a lot more goods/people and are comparable in price (I assume so).

I think this model will be more popular as a personal vehicle for people who live in remote areas and require 4x4 capability but not a long load-bed.
Old 6th December 2010, 17:17   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72 Bullet View Post
I doubt that the Thar MDi will become a rural taxi/workhorse due to it's wheelbase.
If we are to discuss the Wheelbase, then what willl be the ideal customers for MDi 2WD other than Govt. Depts? Considering many such have already bought a Major?

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72 Bullet View Post
I think this model will be more popular as a personal vehicle for people who live in remote areas and require 4x4 capability but not a long load-bed.
I also dont think that it can be a better Taxi. It was quoted w.r.t some past treads discussing the Thar name being given to the MDi.

I meant to say:
Tourist as like: Affordable diesel travellers. 7seater. Yellow plate. Easy repairs.

Workhorse as like: Affordable diesel personal vehicles. Can be 4WD or 2WD depending on the need.
Old 6th December 2010, 17:33   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
In the rural roads I regularly travel (CKM/Coorg/Dk/Udupi), MM540/MM550 are usually private vehicles. It is the CL500 and Commander Jeeps that are used as rural transport. I guess doorless is keyword here.

But now things are going to change because Mahindra doesn't make doorless Jeeps anymore. Even the doored Jeeps will become rural transports now.
doored jeeps is the mantra now. not a singlr door less jeep in my area as rural taxi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
While a lot of guys are worring about the Thar DI diminishing the snob value of Thar CRDe, I am more worried about the Lakhs of Mahindra pick ups that have the same look as the Thar CRDe. Just imaging you are proudly driving your Thar CRDe to your office in electronic city and you see a Yellow Thar CRDe in you rear view mirror and then when it over takes you, you it loaded to the top with vegetables and four laborers sitting atop the vegetables.

absolutely correct in my area.
Quote:
That case can happen with many rural buyers who are considering Thar MDi as a tourist/ workhorse vehicle.
in my side there are only mm savaris & mm maxx taxis carrying 20 to 25 people.
Mahindra Thar MDi Thread (more pics at page 24)-1.jpg

Mahindra Thar MDi Thread (more pics at page 24)-2.jpg

Mahindra Thar MDi Thread (more pics at page 24)-3.jpg
so question is,
Q:do i want to buy thar?
A:yes

Q:at the mentioned price?
A:hmmmm let me rethink about it.

Last edited by jeepster : 6th December 2010 at 17:44.
Old 6th December 2010, 17:44   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
No true offroader is likely to insist upon A/c
Just finished a 413Kms day trip in my doorless CJ340. While I am dusting off myself, I am very sure I want AC in my next offroader.

BTW, something odd happened today. I was flagged down at least 10 times by the time I traveled from Bangalore to Manipal. Very odd, this never happened before in such frequency. How can my Jeep be confused for rural transport?
Old 6th December 2010, 17:50   #218
BHPian

W.r.t above Doored, LWB Taxis, there is also competetion from Trax Traveller. Still we can see large number of Commanders in more numbers than these.

Sorry for OFF Topic discussions.

I think this thread will also get closed. As we are all discussing mostly about PRICE & Sales of a vehicle which is yet to be launched. Can be named as the MostWanted & The MostFamous vehicle on TBHP 4X4 Section. So let there be a Mahindra MW MDi

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 6th December 2010 at 17:52.
Old 6th December 2010, 17:50   #219
Senior - BHPian

With the amount of threads, discussions, view and counter views in those discussion and also with the involvement of none less that the person in charge for this product, I find it rather strange that there is still no concrete data available on what the final product will be. This, after residents of other countries have been running circles around with it.

And, the silence of the M&M team - deafening! Seems like all the enthusiasm that was there in the 'what do you want' and promotional threads seems to have died down.

The least that would have been expected would have been for some heads-up and first hand info over here - BD, I think you owe that much to the people who had contributed in this forum. Unfortunately, that did not happen.

I, for one, having seen the few OTR's and realizing what I am missing, was on the list of probables for the Thar. With my limited technical knowledge, the thought of getting a old Jeep and then getting it off-road worthy is a huge challenge - will definitely take a lot of time and most probably get taken for a ride by the mechanic. This is where the Thar made sense : off-road ready from the plant. I would definitely pay premium for OEM products. But not a high premium.

With the current scales of pricing being talked about, I am not all that enthusiastic about it. Suddenly the time and the rip-off-mechanic seems more viable. All I need is just source the stickers!

Just hope all these speculations and counter-speculations (!) are laid to rest soon or, the best route to take is that we all just wait for the release to happen and then discuss. See no point (as far as the offering & pricing) in
Old 6th December 2010, 17:52   #220
BHPian

few months back Me my wife and my little daughter went to wayanad for seeing a Jeep ,This is what I saw there.
Mahindra Thar MDi Thread (more pics at page 24)-pic-015.jpg

Mahindra Thar MDi Thread (more pics at page 24)-pic-016.jpg

Mahindra Thar MDi Thread (more pics at page 24)-pic-019.jpg

When I saw It, The first thought came to my mind was do I made a mistake by booking a Major 4x4 ? But On that time the price discussions had set it around 7+ L ,I told my mind its a good jeep But over priced.But now things are more clear and The jeep is almost here.

Is this the one ? or something else ?
Old 6th December 2010, 17:57   #221
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
I am very sure I want AC in my next offroader.
I was flagged down at least 10 times. How can my Jeep be confused for rural transport?
I bought a Gypsy in 96, found most things fine for a barebones Jeep but could not bear the absence of A.C. Got an after-market unit installed, it worked fine but the Jeep's FE which was already low, further went for a toss. It was extremely tough using the vehicle without A.C. Since then the green cover has reduced, emissions & traffic stoppages increased. I simply cannot think of a vehicle without A.C.

In the Northern States like Punjab & Haryana, Scorpio's are flagged at almost all the check points. MM Jeeps would be flagged because as I mentioned earlier, the market has progressed to supposedly superior vehicles like Scorpio, Safari, Innova, Xylo, etc. Now a Jeep user is seen as a low-educated, rural, commercial, poor(relatively), person. So, the frequent flaggings!
Old 6th December 2010, 18:00   #222
BHPian

Can be the final product, as its a RHD & the rear seats are side facing, while as SA spec thar is only 2 seater + a roll bar. Also notice the rear foot board in last pic. Where is the tow hook?

I think thats the DB sir's Thar in bg.

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 6th December 2010 at 18:02.
Old 6th December 2010, 18:25   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I was shocked to see the rust spots and paint chips in the picture Sreejesh posted.
@jaggu: The Paint finish for the Thar CRDe can be expected to be much better as it is made in the Scorpio plant. The DI, I think is made elsewhere.

Quote:
Can be the final product, as its a RHD & the rear seats are side facing, while as SA spec thar is only 2 seater + a roll bar. Also notice the rear foot board in last pic. Where is the tow hook?

From the posts in the other thread, we have to have it as a seven seater in India due to govt restrictions else, so I doubt we will get forward facing rear seats in India.
Old 6th December 2010, 18:27   #224
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BTW, something odd happened today. I was flagged down at least 10 times by the time I traveled from Bangalore to Manipal. Very odd, this never happened before in such frequency. How can my Jeep be confused for rural transport?
The color, thats what is giving it all the attention

Quote:
few months back Me my wife and my little daughter went to wayanad for seeing a Jeep ,This is what I saw there.
===========
Is this the one ? or something else ?
Looks like this is the one, but i really hope, wish and pray that the trim would be better for the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
I bought a Gypsy in 96, found most things fine for a barebones Jeep but could not bear the absence of A.C. Got an after-market unit installed, it worked fine but the Jeep's FE which was already low, further went for a toss.
New gypsy with esteem engine is much better off when it comes to handling AC upgrade. Less power drop and FE drop. Plonk in a small unit and limit it to the front cabin and it will work wonders.

Quote:

Sure looks like the real thing. Nope not DB's black beauty EDIT back ground IS DB's Thar! Trim is to confirm to the norms of the land and get clearance from ARAI etc.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@jaggu: The Paint finish for the Thar CRDe can be expected to be much better as it is made in the Scorpio plant. The DI, I think is made elsewhere.

From the posts in the other thread, we have to have it as a seven seater in India due to govt restrictions else, so I doubt we will get forward facing rear seats in India.
Sure hope so! and yes to govt restrictions ^^^

Just take a look at both the pictures. Chuck the winch and the lights on top and imagine! What a difference a premium pitch would make in Urban market for the Crde??

Similarly give the interiors a lil more of upmarket feel, maybe borrow some parts from Bolero stable for this.

If only!!!

Mahindra Thar MDi Thread (more pics at page 24)-tharind.jpg

Mahindra Thar MDi Thread (more pics at page 24)-thareur.jpg

ps: Hope you guys dont mind borrowing the pictures for this comparison.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th December 2010 at 18:43.
Old 6th December 2010, 18:49   #225
Senior - BHPian

Having to live with M&M?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Vinod,

Your post are BS5 Spec.

Lets go back to BS3 Spec.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2162162-post107.html

Regards,

Arka
Arka,
I knew you are not going to leave axle issue.
It might sound weird but our customer research pointed out that majority of our customers who are outside teambhp still want 51 inch track to negotiate narrow trails!! This is the precise reason why Major also came with 51 track and not 57/53 combination though it existed parallely. We need to keep our larger interests of customers than one or two who has been raising their voice about specific axle width issues.

57/53 track axles might be superior according to you, but what makes you think 51 inch track is inferior and will not live up to your needs? We have had countless 2wd/4wd Majors and MM540's (mine included) had 51 inch track and SFRA and proved their durability & reliability. Hence the present THAR MDI owners need not worry on that count.

Plus your view that M&M doesnt give customers the best unless and until there is a legislative need is not true. Some examples include- NG chassis, RCBTSteering system,improved paint finish and rust protection on the vehicles, sequential shift transfer case, factory fitted windshield ventilation, better seats etc etc. All these were not based on legislative needs. Plus remember this is a value product. Every rupee counts to the end customer.

Arka, we believe we would be giving the best possible for the price in case of both THAR Di and CRDe unmatched by any one as a package. This shows we are not here for money making only.

P.s- 57/53 will happen if there is strong customer demand from all quarters of the market.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks