Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2010, 11:24   #241
Senior - BHPian

^^ 2nd question to Arka.

On the current setup offered in the Mdi-Thar, what parts do I need to make it a FFRA? Will the Bolero's setup work perfectly?

Also, what/which vehicles parts do I need to make it a 4.88 axle ratio on both front and rear?
Old 7th December 2010, 11:35   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
^^ 2nd question to Arka.

On the current setup offered in the Mdi-Thar, what parts do I need to make it a FFRA? Will the Bolero's setup work perfectly?

Also, what/which vehicles parts do I need to make it a 4.88 axle ratio on both front and rear?
You can buy MM540 Crown and Pinion to get 4.88 diff ratio
Old 7th December 2010, 11:39   #243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
^^ 2nd question to Arka.

Whatever it is, if you plan to change. This time go with brand new parts and swap if possible. Dont go the gujli way
Old 7th December 2010, 11:57   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
How tough it will be to replace the axles with 57" OKBJ and 53" FFRA? Aren't the parts available since they are on other Mahindra vehicles? Any downsides?

Hi Sharath,

Only 1-2% of M&M vehicles are 4WD. So getting a Front Axle is not easy.

Front Axle - Since the NGCS Vehicles have the same Front & Rear Chassis Dimensions, the Front Axle is a bolt On.

Rear Axle - The Arms have to be switched over (Left to Right) in an existing Bolero FFRA, to align with the T-Case Output/Companion Flange. not at all an easy task.

Then the Spring Saddles have to be aligned keeping in mind the Differential Pinion Angle.

To give you an Idea only 7-10 MM540/MM550 owners have done this mod.

Question is do you want to do it to a Brand New 6L Vehicle.

If you get Brand New parts off the shelf this will add another 1.2L to the existing cost.

It is easier & cheaper to get a 2004-2006NGCS MM550XD and convert it to MDI3200TC.

Incidentally the Mahindra Legend in 2007 ran just these specs with a BS-2 MDI3200TC/NGT520+T18

If these are included in the Thar MDI, the vehicle will cost will go up, but not by 1.2L since it will be done in volume and subtract the cost of the 51" Front & Rear Axle and Steering Drag Link/Track Link.

The question remains why isn't it being to the best available specs

Regards,

Arka

Quote:
^^ 2nd question to Arka.

Hi Santosh,

If you use the Original Housing you can use a Hybrid FFRA using M&M Parts.

or

You can use the Bolero FFRA & Change the T-Case to Borg-Warner to align the T-Case Output/Companion Flange with the Differential Pinion, this is a Bolt on Job. And then Modify the propeller Shaft.
But Very Expensive.

To convert it to 4.88:1

You will need to change the Carrier Assembly from 3.73 and Down to 3.92 and Up and the Crown & Pinion Gears, from MM540/MM550 or Bolero.(3.92 and Up)

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th December 2010 at 12:26. Reason: Back to back posts, please use multi quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 7th December 2010, 14:38   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchless View Post
You can buy MM540 Crown and Pinion to get 4.88 diff ratio
Ok, Arka added one more specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Whatever it is, if you plan to change. This time go with brand new parts and swap if possible. Dont go the gujli way
Yep, not on a new vehicle. Anyways No plans to buy till I see a few on road, Err... Off road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
If you use the Original Housing you can use a Hybrid FFRA using M&M Parts.
Ok, I was looking for specific inputs here. Will the flanged axle from a Bolero, Armada, Commander work? I am sure (?) that the CJ500 axle/flange combo will Not fit this 51" track, am i right? Assuming the spindles, bearings will be common from any M&M jeep, which jeep's axle should one look for?

Quote:
or
I shall ignore the Or part, never going to have the proficiency and money and expertise for that.

Quote:
To convert it to 4.88:1

You will need to change the Carrier Assembly from 3.73 and Down to 3.92 and Up and the Crown & Pinion Gears, from MM540/MM550 or Bolero.(3.92 and Up)
Ok, thanks.

Do you feel the low (sub 4.x) axle ratio with this engine combo will be sufficient/give a 'stock' 540 a run for its money? Or will it stall more often than not?
Old 7th December 2010, 14:58   #246
Team-BHP Support

They say Jeeps are not bought, but built. All this time, I used to think it is because there are only old Jeeps.

But...we have a new Jeep in the making and that too needs to be built.

If I buy a Thar, I need to install 6 point rollcage, HT, AC, front facing rear seats for starters. After that there is the question of whether to go for MLD or FFRA, etc. Then the offroad accessories like Winch, extra lights, HiLift Jack stand, etc.

Building never stops whether it is new Jeep or old.
Old 7th December 2010, 15:09   #247
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They say Jeeps are not bought, but built. All this time, I used to think it is because there are only old Jeeps.
============
Building never stops whether it is new Jeep or old.
Look at the bright side, you have parts which can be transfered from your CJ to any other new 4x4. In my case i have to start afresh!

Winch, Alloy's + Tyres, Lights, Jack? All you have right. This way you can sell the CJ at lesser price to me

EDIT: Though off topic ill share this here as part of the joke ^^ and hope its taken in the right ratio!!

And i will continue to pose like this with old machines.
Mahindra Thar MDi Thread (more pics at page 24)-page.jpg

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th December 2010 at 15:17.
Old 7th December 2010, 15:25   #248
Senior - BHPian

Specific

Quote:
Ok, I was looking for specific inputs here. Will the flanged axle from a Bolero, Armada, Commander work? I am sure (?) that the CJ500 axle/flange combo will Not fit this 51" track, am i right? Assuming the spindles, bearings will be common from any M&M jeep, which jeep's axle should one look for?

Do you feel the low (sub 4.x) axle ratio with this engine combo will be sufficient/give a 'stock' 540 a run for its money? Or will it stall more often than not?
Hi Santosh,

1) The CJ3B/MM540/FC Van (Rear Centre Diff) Long Axle (Left) is the Same length.

So you can use the Long Axle, for the Short Axle you can use the Earlier Commander FFRA.

3) Spindles - Depends on the Housing. You can machine and use the Regular JEEP Front Spindle or Use the Bolero Type Spindle.

4) Bearings - Depends on the Spindles and Hubs used.

If you are Lucky you can get a MM550XD Rear Assy, or get a Right Off-Set Commander or Marshal 4WD Rear Assy and replace, catch will be to set up the drive line angle, IF the Spring Saddle needs to be changed or adjusted.

I have driven a Bolero Camper 4WD with MDI3200TC+KMT90 and 4.27:1 Diff-Ratio and 275/70/15 tyres, the Vehicle and Owner did some very impressive things off-road which I couldn't do with my MM540XD.

The engine definitely impressed me.

This was in Jan, 2007 the climb after 1min29sec was only done by my friend in his bolero camper.

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by ex670c : 7th December 2010 at 15:35.
Old 7th December 2010, 15:48   #249
Senior - BHPian

Get the camper, chop off the rear overhang and have some fun!
Old 7th December 2010, 15:48   #250
BHPian

Thar CRDe - Booking Open!

A Bangalore dealer has started to accept bookings. I have been sent a price list with break up. Pls see attached image. Booking amt is 50000.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar MDi Thread (more pics at page 24)-thar-price-blr.jpg  

Old 7th December 2010, 15:53   #251
Team-BHP Support

Super news BlackRaven!!!! Mind sharing the dealer name if its ok?

I dont know am having mixed feelings and still confused seeing the price, should I or should I not? Should i wait???

Eager to see some test reports!

And its BOLERO THAR?? Perplexed.
Old 7th December 2010, 16:00   #252
AWD
BHPian

Thanks for the update BlackRaven. So, the earlier quote by another member was right too.
What does the dealer say about launch date & when have you been promised delivery?
Old 7th December 2010, 16:01   #253
Senior - BHPian

About 80,000 more than what I would have been willing to pay...
Old 7th December 2010, 16:04   #254
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
About 80,000 more than what I would have been willing to pay...
Thats Bangalore prices, we get shafted here on Road Tax. Check in Thane.
Old 7th December 2010, 16:04   #255
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
A Bangalore dealer has started to accept bookings.
Have they sent you e-brochure?

The color "Arctic White" was common color in Padmini too.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed