Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2010, 00:07   #16
BHPian

Re: 1967 CJ3B LHD - Rescue from the graveyard!

He I just forgot to mention there is a Good Army Gypsy king 2002 MPFI model available (It should be) for sale from Dass. Initially I was planning to pick it up but fate had some thing else for me. He was quoting 2.8 when I check. You may also check that out (But A JEEP is always JEEP )
Old 11th December 2010, 11:35   #17
BHPian

hi,
as correctly mentioned , keep at-least 1.5 l for restoration, but then u have a fully reliable machine at your hands.
fe that i am getting is approx 10 kmpl with fwh
parts are not much of an issue
but if you buy it, keep it as a petrol jeep only.
i have a 3b and restored it completely after a big fudge up attempt at restoration by someone else.
on this forum you will find plenty of people who can actually help , plus with UBS in your part of country you need not worry. so go ahead and pick it up (or else send me the contact number of the seller )
Old 11th December 2010, 18:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.R.Boruwa View Post
May I also suggest you to locally Check with Sakhi Singh in JPR Road and Nice in Litchubari (Do'nt remember the name of the garage) These two gentle mans are master craftsman and has excellent exposure on vintage Cars and Jeeps. I have known them for years and assure that their analysis & attention to miniature details in work is trustworthy.
Hey, MRB, great to see you. Well, I've just shifted to Jorhat recently and am not very familiar with the mechs. But thanks for the reference, will check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
hi,
fe that i am getting is approx 10 kmpl with fwh
FE of 10 kmpl is great, I think. Thanks for the info.

I'll visit the seller tomorrow and have final discussion and decision, I also need to check out the papers. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 12th December 2010, 19:26   #19
BHPian

Hi, friends, just came back from the scrapyard meeting the guy. Could not finalise the deal as it transpired that the vehicle has changed hands twice since the time of the auction by the govt and all in the form of scrap. So, no docs are available to prove the change of ownership from govt. So, as much as my heart wants it, I think I should stay away from it simply for the fact that it would be extremely difficult to register the vehicle without the papers. As many ofyou have also mentioned the same.

So after the inital excitement of the find, I am back to square one. The hunt begins again. Hope to get something soon though. Thank you all for the advice.

PS- Mods you can close this thread as I won't be buying this jeep. Will post again if and when I find one. Thanks.
Old 13th December 2010, 12:11   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Wanderer4*4 - I have been quietly reading this thread. Please buy this Jeep as parts, in dismantled condition, especially the body, which seems to be quite well preserved and very easily restorable. If not already, it will become a collectible item soon. You need to have place to keep it though. Other original parts of a true blue CJ3BLHD are going to become increasingly difficult to find as time goes by.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 13th December 2010, 12:41   #21
BHPian

Thanks Behram ji, for your inputs. I am very happy to get this advice from someone whom everyone looks upto regarding jeeps in this forum. And you have just put in the words that my mind was contemplating but was not speaking regarding buying at least parts of the body coz I thought people will laugh at me. But now the advice coming from the real expert has really enthused me up.

What I had in mind was buying parts of the body that are in good condition such as the front grill, fenders, rear drop down type tail gate and bonnet as scrap metal. (He is quoting a price of Rs 25 per kg). I feel the "Jeep" embossed on the tail gate and the front grill give it a lot of character. I was planning to buy this CJ340 that I have found in a very bad body condition and put in these parts from the CJ3B and feel proud to have at least part of great legacy.

Now, Behram ji and other gurus, pls advice me for the following
1)if I would face any problems if I buy the whole body of the CJ3B as Behram ji has suggested and plonk it on the CJ340 chasis which is a RHD.
2) If I do that can an avg mech do it and will the cost be very high?
3)Also, pls take a look at the engine architecture of the CJ340 in the pics and tell me whether this is the "Inter" or the Peugeut engine? The mechs say the original engine had been changed and it is the Peugeut. Can you guys confirm.

1967 CJ3B LHD - Rescue from the graveyard!-03122010052.jpg

1967 CJ3B LHD - Rescue from the graveyard!-03122010055.jpg

1967 CJ3B LHD - Rescue from the graveyard!-03122010056.jpg

1967 CJ3B LHD - Rescue from the graveyard!-03122010062.jpg

1967 CJ3B LHD - Rescue from the graveyard!-03122010047.jpg

1967 CJ3B LHD - Rescue from the graveyard!-03122010048.jpg

1967 CJ3B LHD - Rescue from the graveyard!-03122010051.jpg
Old 14th December 2010, 13:20   #22
BHPian

Guys, whre are you all? Pls tell what you think of the above plan of body swap 3B to 340.
Old 14th December 2010, 14:47   #23
BHPian

he body swap is very much a good idea, some differences are there , which can easily be taken care of .
buy the 340, put in the 3b shell, later put in the hurricane engine, in nut shell - buy the 340 and make it into the lhd, maybe even rhd 3b for which the parts you already have.
thats my opinion.

how much is he asking for the 3b without the papers?
Old 14th December 2010, 15:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

The engine is the Peugeot derived XDP4.90
Old 14th December 2010, 15:30   #25
BHPian

Hello Wanderer4X4 ,
Its such a pleasure to have another Jeeper from the North-East here. I always keep wondering there should be a lot lot more since we live in the land of Jeeps. I guess very few jeepers use the net here in the Noth-East.
I wish you all the best in whichever Jeep u finally decide to build up, It would be noble if you could take up the CJ3B tho. I think CJ3B parts are easily available from Guwahati (AT Road) also . I don't have much idea about workmanship in Assam but I'm pretty sure I've seen a lot of people getting their 3B's (both LHD & RHD) getting nicely done up here in Shillong.
Old 14th December 2010, 19:31   #26
BHPian

@docfreak - Asking price for 3B without papers is 30K.

Thanks Jyobeb for the info on the engine. By the way, can any one tell me how one can differentiate between the "Inter" and the Peugeot? Means the tell tale signs.

Yes, Johannes, nice to meet you too. And you are right, very few Jeepers from our parts of the country use forums like these.

Am now hoping that the 340 papers are in order. If they are and the price is right, will pick up the 340 and put in the 3B body shell.

Most Viewed