Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2010, 22:13   #46
BANNED

re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Possible, but not recommended.
Spike
How difficult and what mods would be required?
Old 11th December 2010, 22:25   #47
Senior - BHPian

Very difficult, with precision welding and skilled labor required. For e.g. a small deviation of a few mm in front suspension geometry causes widespread effects on the wheel alignment values. Manufacturers use sophisticated tooling aka fixtures to set these crucial parameters right. This is something I would never like to fiddle around with.

Spike
Old 11th December 2010, 22:27   #48
AWD
BHPian

Thanks Spike, would A.C. be provided by Mahindra dealers & at what extra cost?

Same query on hardtop too!

Also, how much time would it take to deliver after booking?
Old 11th December 2010, 22:36   #49
Senior - BHPian

Don't jump into AC, HT now. If you need these, be patient that is all I can say.

Spike

PS- Please ask me product related questions, bookings, delivery is not my domain, )
Old 11th December 2010, 22:53   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
They didn't know about the CRDe but these were the official prices.

THAR DI 4X2 BS3 - 4,42,000
THAR DI 4X4 BS3 - 4,90,590
THAR DI 4X4 BS4 - 6,17,933

Seeing the last one, I raised a doubt so he said that he will check. But considering the THAR DI is only in BS-3 avatar, I consider the last one to be the THAR CRDe 4x4 BS-4 prices.
So assuming that this is official price ex showroom, on-road price = 7.2 lakhs approx.
Now this is without ac, hardtop, alloys.
So if I buy the THAR for this price and add the úrbane' touches to differentiate it from rural transport to a certain extent without any flashy mods, my onroad price = 8.5 lakhs.

Now, though I really love the thought and was sincerely waiting to own a jeep in the úrbane' form, im not really too sure if im ready to pay that price.

If all the talk about this THAR being different is true, then a good test drive might just help convert that opinion into a buyer.

I guess I shall reserve my final opinion till I drive one in flesh.
Old 11th December 2010, 22:55   #51
BANNED

LOL, why does every vehicle launched need to be a family vehicle? If you are looking for a family vehicle you are on the wrong thread.

This is a modern avtar of the Jeep. People who drive the pseudo-SUV's in India will never get the point.

Forget the AC, PS and tinted glasses. For heavens sake look at the rear bench, you want to cart your family in that?

Give AC in that soft/hard top and then we will hear cribs about the missus of the guys looking for family oriented vehicles complaining to their hubbies about the foul pollutants, dust and the smell of the beggar standing next to their SUV getting into the Jeep. LOL.

Again folks who are looking for family oriented creature comfort equipped vehicle this vehicle is surely not for you guys. You guys havent probably ever driven a Jeep made in India.
Old 11th December 2010, 23:06   #52
AWD
BHPian

Only A.C. & P.S do not make a family vehicle. Aren't Jeepers humans!
Jeeps are never supposed/meant to be uncomfy.

Mahindra is introducing the Mdi version too, targeted at different audiences. So, this a MPV in our Country.
Old 11th December 2010, 23:08   #53
BHPian

Spitfire, just the words in my mouth mate.For all those cribbing about the THAR, there's a vehicle for you guys out there called the Premier RIO, shall suit all your AC needs.lol.
Old 11th December 2010, 23:09   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Don't jump into AC, HT now. If you need these, be patient that is all I can say.
Sorry to say, but if the THAR Crde is positioned as a BS4 option which can be bought in cities only, then the target customer has to be a hardcore enthusiast or the Govt supply(police jeep) to want it in a crude form without ac.

For most discerning buyers like me, who are aiming to convert, an ac and a hardtop is a necessity in the city and not a luxury feature.

How many in their right mind would buy and drive a crude looking mm550 aka Thar sweating it out on a traffic signal with a broad grin of pride on his face to display his feeling of passion for the Jeep. Or does M&M still think that in this day and age, an ac is optional for the BS4 customer in the city. Oh cummon.. even the el cheapo Nano Cx comes with an ac & heater.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 11th December 2010 at 23:26.
Old 11th December 2010, 23:23   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
How many in their right mind would buy and drive a crude looking mm550 aka Thar sweating it out on a traffic signal with a broad grin of pride on his face to display his feeling of passion with the jeep.
I WOULD!!!

But seriously man this is not a vehicle for you folks. Get a Safari or a Scorpio instead. Trust me.

PS: I see a Jeeper here (Bangalore) drive an MM540 in bangalore a AP registered black one. Single cabin. He drives it to work every day I guess.

I am wondering how come you guys havent asked for a VANITY MIRROR yet in the THAR!!

Last edited by Spitfire : 11th December 2010 at 23:24.
Old 11th December 2010, 23:29   #56
BHPian

Finally its here, given the number of threads that have been closed this is a welcome launch. I feel happy for all those who were waiting so eagerly and a big congratulations to Behram, Spike Arrestor and the Thar team. I am sure this is going to find a lot of buyers.

Some folks want a more presentable jeep and family vehicle but somehow I don't think a jeep like Thar will do that, to make a wrangler type is going to cost a lot of money here in R&D, manufacturing, materials, etc and that will inevitably raise the on road price to above 10. The Wrangler given its US pricing and how similar priced cars/SUVs are sold here will be 20 lakhs plus here at least. So perhaps we should manage expectations given the Thar seems to be launched at 6.50 lakhs.

However if you want a 4x4 Jeep that is presentable and can cart the family around why not settle for a Scorpio, its not a wrangler but given its available, seems a better bet than waiting for a wrangler from Mahindra which will anyway be more expensive than the Thar.

The Thar is positioned for a different market and given the enthusiasm and energy we see from Behram and the Mahindra team to pull this off I wish them a huge success.

Last edited by raul : 11th December 2010 at 23:34.
Old 11th December 2010, 23:40   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Again folks who are looking for family oriented creature comfort equipped vehicle this vehicle is surely not for you guys. You guys havent probably ever driven a Jeep made in India.
Well, I am looking for an offroader that can take family to OTRs. Since there isn't any available (except Gurkha), I am hoping I can build this into one.
Old 11th December 2010, 23:58   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I WOULD!!!
But seriously man this is not a vehicle for you folks. Get a Safari or a Scorpio instead. Trust me.

PS: I see a Jeeper here (Bangalore) drive an MM540 in bangalore a AP registered black one. Single cabin. He drives it to work every day I guess.
Well buddy, im not a rich man. I own only one vehicle. I dirve it to the mall, I drive it across the county to obscure places and I also take it offroad. I like the jeep and wish to own one. I dont see why providing an ac is such a big deal today. Even labourers in the middle east travel in ac bus transport. And I would love to respect myself that wee bit more at the cost of looking less macho.

I think there are a zillion other ways to look macho than sweating it out on a hot summer day on an interstate or offroad trip. At least I would like to switch on the ac on my way back from my offroad excursion. I know many offroad folks who would share that sentiment.
I can run 10 miles in the desert in summer with a 10kg backpack, but I refuse to sweat on a seat if I can do something about it, thats my prerogative. Dont think I need anyone to tell me what I should buy and should not. As a prospective customer, im expressing my wish, in case it makes sense to the M&M team active on this forum.
For all those shooting their mouths out here I would really love to see how many actually convert into customers. I for one, am sitting with a cheque in hand, hoping to put it down for something I always wanted to own, hoping that the test drive will be the final convincing straw.

BTW.. I wish you many hours & miles of sweat and smiles if and when you do happen to buy one.. and if we do happen to meet I hope I have a chilled B**r in my hand to wish you happy sweating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Some folks want a more presentable jeep and family vehicle .....
The Thar is positioned for a different market and given the enthusiasm and energy we see from Behram and the Mahindra team to pull this off I wish them a huge success.
I wish DB & his team a huge success too. I wouldnt be wasting my time on the THAR threads if I wasnt interested in buying one. Who ever said the THAR is positioned as a family vehicle.
Old 12th December 2010, 00:08   #59
Senior - BHPian

The THAR may not be a hit with polished families but people in towns villages would prefer the THAR to be a medium of transport for their work and family iff they can afford their 'one' vehicle. The enthusiasts would buy the THAR for its offroading capabilities and for quenching their 4X4 thirst.

There was a teen in our locality who modified a M&M Jeep into a open Jeep with windshield falling on the bonnet and stuff and painted it in Israeli army color. It was superb looking. He is from an affluent family related to the previous Kinetic Honda dealer family.
Old 12th December 2010, 00:53   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
The THAR may not be a hit with polished families but people in towns villages would prefer the THAR to be a medium of transport for their work and family iff they can afford their 'one' vehicle. The enthusiasts would buy the THAR for its offroading capabilities and for quenching their 4X4 thirst.
People in the village have always lived with jeeps. They would give an arm and a leg to get rid of it. And they will plonk all their money into a Bolero, Scorpio, or something similar considering both of these are within arms reach for the price of the CRDE. The DI version will sell only with a HT (forget the AC).

The THAR CRDE/DI in its current avatar of no HT or AC will ONLY be bought by the urban customer who wants to offroad or show off. It will only be a hit with the rich kid, because he probably has 3 other cars with all other imaginable creature comforts. Or for the die hard jeeper who will sell his house and camp in this jeep. Both exist in this forum.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed