Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2010, 17:12   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

Certain posts here seem to be derogatory to people who want & wish to own a nice performing Jeep, albeit a comfortable one.

I see nothing wrong in expressing one's wish. It may lead M&M to offer the same mechanicals & capabilities BUT with Wrangler / Rubicon kind of hard top & airconditioned versions.

For all the Macho Gents who want to sit & sweat in 45 degrees heat, they are ofcourse welcome to buy a M&M vehicle & strip it down to the chasis, strap on a seat & go off-roading with all the sweat & dust they want.

We at the forum are only asking M&M for a better equipped & presentable vehicle. Anything wrong with that ? IF the company wants numbers (which I am sure they do) they would need to put their ears to the ground. Unless this capable vehicle is also going to end up in the rural segment taxi service.

So let us respect each other's prespectives & not ridicule each other & pretend that we have a great sense of humor. As some posts above show the total lack of !!

Chill
Old 12th December 2010, 17:14   #62
BHPian

I have a question for you DB Sir,Spike,
Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread-466771d1291987024mahindratharcrde4x4itsfinallyhere10.jpg

Please look at the picture There you can see a bracket which I marked in red and that pipe (Sorry I forgot its name).

I changed the pipe "II" twice and the bracket broke more than 4-5 times on my scorpio 2005 model. last time I changed the pipe on my 1.1 L Km service and the bracket had broke after a 3000-3500 Km again fixed the bracket and I am sure it will broke in other 5000Km (We use our scorpio on the road and off the road rather than a Mall going vehicle.)

Now I can see the same pipe, bracket on the Thar with a change (bracket position) and I am going ahead with thar I believe its a Off roader for real life situations so do mahindra gives any type of warranty on engine related parts ?
Old 12th December 2010, 18:17   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, I am looking for an offroader that can take family to OTRs. Since there isn't any available (except Gurkha), I am hoping I can build this into one.
How much is the THAR a step up compared to the Jeep you have now? Forget the AC.

And how much has it cost you to get it to this reliability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Well buddy, im not a rich man. I own only one vehicle. I dirve it to the mall, I drive it across the county to obscure places and I also take it offroad.
I drove a Classic with no doors and no top for 1 year in Bangalore. Nothing macho, i just loved driving it. Simple. I never ever thought of getting a AC in it. Just incase you think Blore weather is right for such driving, it is not. So I have been there done that.

And surely if this is your only vehicle you surely dont need the Thar. You need something else. As whatever you do to it, it will never fit to be your family vehicle.

For others who want everything else in the world from the Rubicon to the Hummer in 6.5 lakhs, I have no answers.

And yes my Classic will go on the block after I get a TD of the Thar.
Old 12th December 2010, 18:42   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
How much is the THAR a step up compared to the Jeep you have now? Forget the AC.
Oh, it is a big step up. It has doors to start with, and is longer than SWB. That means I can install rear seats for the kids. CRDe is lot silent than XDP, much faster on the highways, and lot more reliable.

Quote:
And how much has it cost you to get it to this reliability?
A little over 3L after the purchase, not including the winch. Not like there was much choice.

Quote:
I drove a Classic with no doors and no top for 1 year in Bangalore. Nothing macho, i just loved driving it. Simple. I never ever thought of getting a AC in it.
I too drive my CJ340 regularly, and even done extensive long drives on highways pretty regularly, often in solo mode. Although I love the experience, I want to be able to take my family too. As a family man, I don't want to choose between Jeep and family.

Finally it is up to the individual to make their own decision. When I was looking for Jeep/offroader, lot of people didn't think I was cut out to become a Jeeper. Some how I am managing...

So please stop telling people what they can and cannot buy... let them make their own decision.
Old 12th December 2010, 19:29   #65
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
As a member already said, even a Nano these days comes with an A.C. So, its that big a deal what you are making it out to be.

World has moved on, people have A.C's in their homes, offices & vehicles, big deal!

Quote:
I drove a Classic with no doors and no top for 1 year in Bangalore. Nothing macho, i just loved driving it. Simple. I never ever thought of getting a AC in it.
If you had driven your open top Classic into a wall & felt happy about it, would you expect all to follow!

Everyone has different tastes & likings.

Quote:
And surely if this is your only vehicle you surely dont need the Thar. You need something else. As whatever you do to it, it will never fit to be your family vehicle.
Isn't it his money, his wish & his decision! There is something know as "minding ones own business"!

Quote:
For others who want everything else in the world from the Rubicon to the Hummer in 6.5 lakhs, I have no answers.
Your own interpretations! People are ready to spend more but were asking whether its coming with the vehicle or as additional dealer fitment.

BTW, was just wondering how are you using the services of modern Internet when postal services still exist, back to the stone age man!
Old 12th December 2010, 20:11   #66
BHPian

NICE find; as hinted by BD sir "would be launched sooner than you expect"..exciting times for all offroad entusiasts..Mahindra has done it again!!..my hearty thanks to BD sir and his team..thanks for taking us seriously.

More than anything, the synergy Team-BHP has in connecting all offroad enthusiasts and a mighty manufacturer backing us..."delivers products to cater to customer's needs again and again" is truey remarkable!!

My thoughts...apart from basic necessities like PS, AC & Hardtop (optional), I wish Mahindra does make few more variants in the CRDe category like the 'Adventure' with smaller and sleeker headlights, good fenders (exactly what we saw in the Delhi Auto Expo). Should also have atleast one dealer in a city who specialize in the sale of pro offroad accessories, off-training sessions to offroad ametures would be helpful..

Can't wait to see a print /TV adv for more details.

After this revelation, I am sure to get sleepless nights until I book one for myself.

Cheers
Pavan.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 13th December 2010 at 02:39. Reason: Please stick to the 2-smileys-per-post rule. Thanks.
Old 12th December 2010, 20:25   #67
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to put up a new topic in between, but one thing is bothering me and that is about the GC of Thar. It is just 200 mm. The Army spec MM550's GC is 265 mm.

How do you guys plan to increase the GC of Thar? GC is the most important thing. Grand Vitara's GC is 200 mm and it is not adequate at many times.

PS- I guess the biggest buyer of Thar would be Indian Army. Everything revolving around them.

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 12th December 2010 at 20:27.
Old 12th December 2010, 20:41   #68
BHPian

Finally, it has been launched,

Fellows, any idea where one can obtain a TD and compelete the Booking formalities in Mumbai .?
Old 12th December 2010, 20:52   #69
BHPian

When MM is trying to reincarnate a legend, they should try to make it modern (not so much what BMW did to Mini or VW did to Beetle, but at least what Enfield did on our Bullet ??) without loosing the classic image or what so ever.they at least bring in a power steering and better suspension, seats ,bull bar with a good looking hard top and other stuff to bring back the cult image and more takers if MM want to sell those numbers, love to see Thar.s growing as a cult. Is the MM site updated ?

Last edited by georgev : 12th December 2010 at 20:53.
Old 12th December 2010, 21:05   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
I changed the pipe "II" twice and the bracket broke more than 4-5 times on my scorpio 2005 model. last time I changed the pipe on my 1.1 L Km service and the bracket had broke after a 3000-3500 Km again fixed the bracket and I am sure it will broke in other 5000Km (We use our scorpio on the road and off the road rather than a Mall going vehicle.)
Sreejesh, I doubt whether your Scorpio comes with a EGR cooler, this is different.

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 12th December 2010 at 21:08.
Old 12th December 2010, 21:22   #71
Senior - BHPian

Everyone, as a prospective buyer of THAR as daily drive to replace the Bolero, yes AC and HT are hygiene factors for me. And will be to a lot of people. I intend to sell the Bolero and get a THAR and Nano and I need AC in both my cars. I'm sure M&M is listening. And yes I'm willing to pay extra (As if I have a choice ).

So please stop fighting about AC, HT, macho, sissy et al. Lets discuss something more constructive.

@Spike: Can you please tell me if the Bolero VLX dash can be fitted on the THAR ? Also can the CRDe be fitted with a windscreen tilt lever?

Cheers
Old 12th December 2010, 21:44   #72
Senior - BHPian

If you observe closely the IP on Thar is a replica of Bolero IP, but with slight changes. By windscreen tilt lever, do you mean the ventilating windshield or the drop down windshield? Ventilating windshield is possible with minor changes.

Spike
Old 12th December 2010, 21:49   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
If you observe closely the IP on Thar is a replica of Bolero IP, but with slight changes.
What is IP ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
By windscreen tilt lever, do you mean the ventilating windshield or the drop down windshield? Ventilating windshield is possible with minor changes.

Spike
Ventilating windshield. Saw that mechanism in THAR DI but absent on THAR CRDe. I would like to have it.
Old 12th December 2010, 21:49   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Oh, it is a big step up.
What about factory approved service centers and the right parts off the shelf? What about 24 hours breakdown service?

Right now we are at the mercy of small unorganised garages. I am not 100% sure I can take my family in a vehicle which depends upon these options. Not that Mahindra Service Centers are the best but atleast we have someone to hold accountable for. This is not possible with the garages we depend upon right now.

Quote:
So please stop telling people what they can and cannot buy... let them make their own decision.
Once everyone understands that somethings will be an extra and are coming in (AC,HT,etc) they need to stop at that. Going on about it in every Thar thread is just getting a bit long in the tooth. You know whats coming and whats not why go on cribbing about it. Its not even launched yet. And I wasnt telling people what to buy what not to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
World has moved on, people have A.C's in their homes, offices & vehicles, big deal!
Question was who would be alright sweating it out. I replied I was, I didnt say I didnt want an AC. LOL. Read and comprehend.

Quote:
If you had driven your open top Classic into a wall & felt happy about it, would you expect all to follow!
This logic is beyond me. Look at the answer above.

Quote:
Isn't it his money, his wish & his decision! There is something know as "minding ones own business"!
A dozen threads on the Thar and we know whats it coming with and what its not. Why go on with the same cribbing in every thread. This AC/HT options have been discussed to death. I wasnt advising what to buy and what not to buy, I was only saying get on with it. The guys at MM have said those options would be coming in. LOL there was no meddling in others business. Sorry if you felt so, but you made a mistake in understanding what I said. Next time ask before shooting off.

Quote:
Your own interpretations! People are ready to spend more but were asking whether its coming with the vehicle or as additional dealer fitment.
How many times has this being discussed already?

Quote:
BTW, was just wondering how are you using the services of modern Internet when postal services still exist, back to the stone age man!
Your logic and reasoning defeats me. Seriously. Please explain?

Last edited by Spitfire : 12th December 2010 at 22:01.
Old 12th December 2010, 21:59   #75

Guys, why dont we realize that this isnt intended to be your only car. this is intended to be a sort of "second car" or "weekend car"....its just like having a fiat.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed