Instrument panel sir !

BTW why cant MM sell THAR with AC fitted? is this a gimmick to reduce OTR price
Old 12th December 2010, 22:14   #77
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
What is IP ?

Ventilating windshield. Saw that mechanism in THAR DI but absent on THAR CRDe. I would like to have it.
IP- Instrument Panel / Dashboard, kya dada? I guess you haven't yet replaced your IP under warranty.

Ventilating windshield is not a standard fitment on the CRDe variant.
Old 12th December 2010, 22:19   #78
jp1
BHPian

Finally, finally wait is over.

This is going to be my only vehicle, replacing my Bolero SLX. For me an A/c and HT is a must, and mostly to be used in City with occasional long trips and off roading and that too with my wife and kids. Way back in 98, I had got my Gypsy fitted with an A/c, from then I graduated to a Bolero in 2001 with of course A/c, PS, Powerwindows and so on came with the package. I need to find some one to get these fixed (A/c and HT), and I already started the hunt for HT. I have seen so many Invaders tastefully done in Kerala. So there is hope. I think Spike also says to be patient in one of the previous post, so not all is lost. May be before jumping into hasty decisions due to the excitement, little patience is warranted as Spike put it.

Thanks BD, Spike and the entire team for this wonderful machine.
Old 12th December 2010, 22:39   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
IP- Instrument Panel / Dashboard, kya dada? I guess you haven't yet replaced your IP under warranty.

Ventilating windshield is not a standard fitment on the CRDe variant.

Not just the IP. I want the whole dashboard as the position of A/C Knobs and HU is really great and easily reachable on my Bolero.

I'm just compiling my list for the Order Indent. Doesn't matter if it takes 3 months like it did for the VLX.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 12th December 2010 at 22:49.
Old 12th December 2010, 22:43   #80
Senior - BHPian

sorry for being a sore but any plans for ABS on the thar?
Old 12th December 2010, 22:55   #81
BANNED

I can see one kind of mentality here on this thread.

We are only seeing JEEPERS. and the perception and view point of a JEEPER.

I would add one thing. There is the Classic JEEP and here is the THAR.

Both are entirely different in its character.

Well, the THAR can never beat the characteristics of classic Willys or the JEEP. A jeeper knows this very well.

Lets look at the THAR as a different offering and with a different purpose. Its a pure enthusiasts Jeep.

You need power- Thar has it
You need Torque - Thar has it
You need speed - Thar has it
You need A/C - Thar can give you
You need 4*4 - Thar has it

Thar is a different dimension to the jeeper community. It will work only if they price it well.
Old 12th December 2010, 22:58   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
About the exitement

But if it is ' too much spoken about ' why not ? afterall its not only created by M&M but by 'an enthusiast ' like us . arn't you aware of 'his' pains ?

Welcome Thar , its a step, its a start , I think this is the first delibrate attempt ( made by anyone /any company ) to address the 'needs ' of a 4x4 er. many more such attempts 'should' follow.

Pricing, IFS, sales figures are not relevent for me ,for me its a creation of an enthusiast ,for enthusiasts.thats how I take it .

Congrats 'Creator' dream come true.

Sudarshan
Right said @sudarshan.

Its all about an enthusiast encouraging another. Its like somebody restoring an old vehicle. Not everybody may be a fan of that vehicle. But they still read / post / encourage. The restored vehicle may not be even road worthy if put to test. But who cares. Its still your baby.
This THAR may NOT be the best 4x4 but it definitely is a step in the right direction.
So, i don't see any reason NOT to be enthusiastic about it.

-- Torqy
Old 12th December 2010, 23:02   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I kind of agree with spitfire that the Thar is not meant for anyone who is just looking for a vehicle to punter around.

End of the day, what it is is a very refined MM550. So if you are a person who uses a MM540/MM550 like me on a regular basis, the Thar is definitely a step forward. However, if you primary vehicle is a Safari/Scorpio or other SUV/MUV, and don't drive a jeep regularly you will be disappointed with the Thar on many fronts.
Old 12th December 2010, 23:12   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
People in the village have always lived with jeeps. They would give an arm and a leg to get rid of it. And they will plonk all their money into a Bolero, Scorpio, or something similar considering both of these are within arms reach for the price of the CRDE. The DI version will sell only with a HT (forget the AC).
Jeeps, Commanders etc were/are more useful for their, no doors,where people can take farm material.products and also cram n number of people when a ceremony demands. Can't do that in a Scorpio or a Bolero. I have also seen Jeeps having a small ploughing mechanism trailing behind it. But it depends on individual to individual on what fits to him. So lets all keep it that way for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
this is intended to be a sort of "second car" or "weekend car"....its just like having a fiat.
Dude you crack me up. But seriously, they have improved and so has M&M for that matter. We had a Premier Padmini and the earlier one which had doors opening to the wrong side/other side so I can comment. Your post made my day.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 12th December 2010 at 23:30.
Old 12th December 2010, 23:42   #85
BHPian

There was a great dearth of a true off roader for a long long time.
Now that Thar has 'almost' arrived, let us all welcome the Thar with open arms & open hearts and
take it's features (good or bad) with deep regard and sense of responsibility to improve it further.
I respect MM's move of producing this CJ, when all you see is sedans & hatches churned out in huge numbers.

We tend to compare Thar's features with that of our day to day sedan/hatchback features.
This is where it goes wrong; but some basic creature comforts are required.

True Offroaders, i think we can add all those nice to have aspects as we mod. It is our responsibility
to improve the Thar into an Indian Rubicon from here forth. Let the group of off roaders be the way they are.

Hearty Thanks to DB, Vinod, Spike & all Thar teams at various locations.
Old 12th December 2010, 23:54   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
What is IP ?
IP means Instrument Panel.
Old 12th December 2010, 23:57   #87
Senior - BHPian

The first thing any buyer of Thar has to do is put in a proper security system since the Thar has none.

And, yes, as the common knowledge, cruising the Thar at 120kmph is a breeze. It can do it all day long.

Mileage noticed is around 10kmpl in city and 13kmpl in highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Guys, why dont we realize that this isnt intended to be your only car. this is intended to be a sort of "second car" or "weekend car"....its just like having a fiat.
Now, that puts things in perspective.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 13th December 2010 at 00:06.
Old 13th December 2010, 02:00   #88
BHPian

Steering lock is good option.
What are the other options that we can have for Thar's security. I mean parking it inside building/ office complex is one thing. But things may get a little worried when we go out & had to park it in open.
How about that wheel locking device that traffic police use? Then again we can not keep anything valuable inside :(..
So,,Hard Top Please!!! (Please make it removable)
BTW, The HTs on European Thars are really awesome, they even come with sun roofs.
Old 13th December 2010, 07:20   #89
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

you know, when the JEEP brand re-invented themselves with the Wrangler/ Rubicon to appeal to the Retro maniac that lurks within every Jeep aficionado, they really went all the way to do a proper job - thoroughly modernizing the vehicle in terms of safety, comfort, technology and as many bells and whistles as possible with no compromise, whilst retaining its CORE off road and reliability genes.

I appreciate M&M's efforts to try pull off something similar with the THAR, but I do not appreciate their apparent lack of attention to real detail and quality and I do not appreciate the overall willingness to make compromises - looks like the same old Indian "jugaad/ chalta hai/ ho jaayega bhai, itne to miltein hai na?, aur kya chahiye?" type of mentality at play. (Forgive my vernacular - my Hindi isn't all that great really.)

Why is it that we appear to be genetically hard-wired to accept compromise so lightly? Years of slaving away under the protectionist economy? Hangover of the Soviet inspired Nehruvian Socalism system? or what?
End of the day boss, I am a paying consumer - I want top quality if Iam expected to pay top dollar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Yes you are right Shankar,

At the Mumbai Auto show recently, If my recollection is right, the Black display unit did have the Alloys.

The souped up Red Colored vehicle was a customization job by the mahindra subsidiary.

Strange that the alloys are missing from the final outcome.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 13th December 2010 at 07:25.
Old 13th December 2010, 07:25   #90
Senior - BHPian

I think they launched the Thar with minimum bells & whistles to keep the ex-showroom as minimum as possible. Hardtop and A/C can come later when prices can be jacked up proportionately.

If hardtop + A/C Thar were launched at 8.45 ex-showroom, it would have shocked folks in any case.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed