Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2010, 12:08   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
It is my fervent hope that we do not use these machines as they do in the West, with a sense of entitlement and self-importance. We don't REALLY need them after all. I hope we use them to explore a natural world that awes us with its balance and splendor. I hope this fosters a sense of stewardship of our world instead of a sense of exploitation. I hope it brings friends and families together. I hope it brings us to the top of a lonely hill to watch the sunset where we continue to be intrigued by the magic and mystery that is our lives. I hope we can get chicks with this thing.
And hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.
I hope to buy a Thar. I hope the price is not too high.
Old 13th December 2010, 12:21   #107
Senior - BHPian

Even I was and still am hoping to buy one. Keeping my fingers crossed for the pricing. People will think I am crazy spending money on this, when I still have to pay off my home loan. And they would be right. Damn crazy I would be. I was thinking of selling my Swift and making this our family car as well as my first vehicle to get into off-roading. But it does not look like I will be selling my swift anytime soon.

Good thoughts there Dan.

Last edited by pjbiju : 13th December 2010 at 12:22.
Old 13th December 2010, 12:44   #108
BANNED

Quote:
I hope we can get chicks with this thing.
They loved the Classic and they will love this one. TRUST ME!!! Body hair is still in demand..

One question to the folks who build the Thar.

Was there ever an intention to make this a "family" "car"? Please notice the two words being separate.

To the others still going family. Check the below advertisement.

Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread-sub_main.jpg

Does it look like it is being targeted for family use? The naughty ones on here please don't comment
Old 13th December 2010, 12:44   #109
BHPian

Guys looking for hard tops.. You could either make it this way or wait for M&M to offer the same in the near future. The silver one in the link below looks great and I am sure M&M has planned to offer a similar one in the future like the Gypsy does.

http://www.wheelosphere.org/wp-conte...UV-Image_3.png
Old 13th December 2010, 12:55   #110
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

No worries mate - for me a 4x4 Scorpio is the right thing - not this re-packaged elderly buzzard the Thar at that kind of price.
This is exactly my point.
Whatever its benefits and advantages and cult following and all that, it is an over-priced vehicle. The fit and finish etc are clearly not upto the mark - that really is not acceptable given this kind of price.
I love jeeps in many ways but I wont pay that kind of price to acquire one of these, given the overall fit finish and quality vs the price.
Might as well buy a nice second hand MM550 or Gypsy at 1.5-2 lacs and get the all natural jeep feeling if I really want it that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNSEL View Post
Arre Shankar, how much do you think it will cost for a fully loaded THAR?!! With a new shell, all latest features, alloys with good tyres will cost the same price of SCORPIO! Or else if those features are really needed, go for Scorpio 4X4!

THAR is finally here and we better not debate again from scratch about "M540-4WD wish list - what you really want in your MM540-4WD?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 13th December 2010 at 13:02.
Old 13th December 2010, 12:59   #111

Quote:
Sometimes I think it is a minor miracle that India, Mahindra, can produce any automobiles at all given the conditions here. Long suffering India is besieged and beleaguered by mind numbing poverty and corruption. A member search of this site shows that there is only one member from Bihar and one from Chhattisgarh. So I don't get too bent out of shape if the Thar does not have a cup holder or whatever.

It is my fervent hope that we do not use these machines as they do in the West, with a sense of entitlement and self-importance. We don't REALLY need them after all. I hope we use them to explore a natural world that awes us with its balance and splendor. I hope this fosters a sense of stewardship of our world instead of a sense of exploitation. I hope it brings friends and families together. I hope it brings us to the top of a lonely hill to watch the sunset where we continue to be intrigued by the magic and mystery that is our lives. I hope we can get chicks with this thing.

Why do you think I want to get rid on my AC Bolero and get this!!
Old 13th December 2010, 13:00   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Does it look like it is being targeted for family use? The naughty ones on here please don't comment
With the ample space available, I'm sure it can definitely be used to start a "Family "

Boy at heart forever!
Old 13th December 2010, 13:10   #113
Team-BHP Support

So we see the final version in real life! Great catch NIP!

As expected it comes with base version which according to me is OK, BUT it should be priced well. 6 Lakh OTR for basic Thar Crde with power steering, and it makes sense to buy. This is the value "I" feel is justified for a no frill's version.

As far as info goes, date will be Dec or Jan, but expect to have vehicles in your nearest dealer by Feb 2011! This is the deadline they are working towards.

Let's look forward to some real test drives and then judge the capabilities. It has a lead due to that engine, remaining needs to be tested. Atleast for the offroading community!

DB and team great job!
Old 13th December 2010, 14:25   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
With the ample space available, I'm sure it can definitely be used to start a "Family "

Boy at heart forever!
Yeah!
You can always add 1 or 2 trailers later.

Old 13th December 2010, 14:55   #115
BHPian

Quote:
To the others still going family. Check the below advertisement.

Attachment 467790

The ad you refer to is for SA. This is India and even Macho bikes carry entire families. We are like that only

I would not confuse branding with usage. Targeting the male decision maker is old hat. I hope for India they have a better concept than addressing testosterone
Old 13th December 2010, 15:02   #116
Senior - BHPian

Just found out from local M&M team, the launch is scheduled before 23rd December 2011.

Vinod please confirm if this is the date!

Cheers
Old 13th December 2010, 15:30   #117
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsjar View Post
The ad you refer to is for SA. This is India and even Macho bikes carry entire families. We are like that only
Defeats the purpose doesn't it? Sell anything in India and it needs to be able to carry the whole family and the neighbourhood in AC comfort.

Quote:
I would not confuse branding with usage. Targeting the male decision maker is old hat. I hope for India they have a better concept than addressing testosterone
Ever saw the Mahindra Classic ads in the 90's?
Old 13th December 2010, 15:36   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Just found out from local M&M team, the launch is scheduled before 23rd December 2011.

Vinod please confirm if this is the date!

Cheers
I hope you mean 2010

Thar looks great in the ad on this page!
Old 13th December 2010, 15:39   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Defeats the purpose doesn't it? Sell anything in India and it needs to be able to carry the whole family and the neighbourhood in AC comfort.
Just curious, how much would you shelve out for this basic version of Thar?

I agree that as long as the options are available, its not a concern if it comes from the factory full loaded or not. The thing that will decide if its a winner or not will be the pricing then.
Old 13th December 2010, 16:18   #120
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Just curious, how much would you shelve out for this basic version of Thar?
I havent driven it yet. I am looking for a replacement for the Classic.

If used price market for MM540/550 has to be believed then 6-6.5 lakhs for a no frills CRDe Thar (from factory, service support, et al) seems right.

And just to clear the air a bit more, what I would really want though is a 4x4 Bolero VLX. Considering present VLX prices I expect the 4x4 to cost 8-9 lakhs. Good enough. But then my present XD3P Bolero goes and the Classic stays. The mix of family and offroading is still a future concept for India (we are talking Wranglers/Defenders here). So I will stick to one for each.

PS: I would buy it in Goa. Any vehicle. Karnataka taxes are the pits.

EDIT: More to the point of the family and not family vehicle for which everyone seems to get on me is.

Adding a AC,PS and front facing rear bench seat still wont make the Thar a family vehicle. I dont understand why folks here go on harping about the creature comforts and talk family vehicle in the same breath. In another thread a Bolero with all the above is still not being accepted as a family vehicle. Go figure!! And the Thar needs to carry the family without any compromise on all aspects.

This has being considered as advise/preaching from me to minding others business. I am lost there.

Last edited by Spitfire : 13th December 2010 at 16:32.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed