Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2010, 16:23   #121
BHPian

re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Defeats the purpose doesn't it? Sell anything in India and it needs to be able to carry the whole family and the neighbourhood in AC comfort.
Does not defeat the purpose, overloads it (no pun intended). Keeping the urban Family in the picture will help with adoption. Better value prop and all that.

I never said anything about carrying neighbourhoods in AC comfort

Quote:
Ever saw the Mahindra Classic ads in the 90's?
Exactly my point, we are almost in 2011
Old 13th December 2010, 16:41   #122
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Spitfire, what 'family' means in this context would be an outing for the wife and kids in reasonable comfort in an offroad vehicle (OTRs, camping, fishing etc.), which usually sees traveling 300-400kms over a weekend. I would personally use the Thar to take the kids (carpool) to school and go out in the weekends to my getaways. It surely does not mean a regular family trip like a pilgrimage with parents or picking up the boss from the airport. I do not think we should mix up 'family' here. I for one cannot lug my wife and kids in a dusty, rackety, unreliable old MM540 to anyplace, save a weekend trip. Just the peace of mind that the Thar will give (no breakdowns) will be worth it. My 2 cents. Of course, the price will be crucial here as well.
Old 13th December 2010, 16:50   #123
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsjar View Post
Keeping the urban Family in the picture will help with adoption. Better value prop and all that.
So you are saying the Thar should have been positioned as a family vehicle too to increase sales.

In India 99% people buy cars for status and social standing. Forget family. This one wont come close to anything. Look at the video posted by salilpawar. listen to the part where the guy says jeep taxi. If you still dont get it, I cant do much.

Quote:
I never said anything about carrying neighbourhoods in AC comfort
Its just a way of sayng it. I didnt say you said neighbourhood.

Quote:
Exactly my point, we are almost in 2011
So whats changed? Indian males (I am one) still like topless models

(MODS: That was MMs punchline for the Classic not my words)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Spitfire, what 'family' means in this context would be an outing for the wife and kids in reasonable comfort in an offroad vehicle
To be honest NIP I dont know what family vehicle means. Another thread on Bolero/Sumo Grande we had the same issue. There the Bolero top end model (even) was branded as not being a family vehicle and instead is a rural transport vehicle. So you tell me where the Thar comes even close to a fully enclosed 5 doored Bolero in the family car stakes?

I am lost.

Taking the family on an OTR in the present Thar would surely be much better then the options we have presently. Gypsy is another vehicle I dont see any issues taking the family. For me the petrol it gulps is the only problem.

And peace of mind is something I look for too. I have a Classic and an RD 350 both give me the shivers if I think long distance. And surely I also want a topend Wrangler for 6 lakhs. But then I have a logical side too.

Last edited by Spitfire : 13th December 2010 at 16:59.
Old 13th December 2010, 16:56   #124
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Guys...you both are right from your own perspectives. To each his own. What it boils down to is - will the Thar be VFM at whatever pricepoint it launches at, in this configuration.

If you ask me, this vehicle in the first post should be 6L. No issues there. But if its 6.5L + OTR, I definitely want that cup holder, AC and Alloys !
Old 13th December 2010, 17:27   #125
BHPian

Quote:
So you are saying the Thar should have been positioned as a family vehicle too to increase sales.

In India 99% people buy cars for status and social standing. Forget family. This one wont come close to anything. Look at the video posted by salilpawar. listen to the part where the guy says jeep taxi. If you still dont get it, I cant do much.
Yes, as a matter of fact, I am. Sure, as a single male, I would've preferred a CJ3B / Classic / open top. But right now, a Jeep with doors is what I am looking for and the Thar fits the bill to a T.

My 6 year old loves the mm5x0s and so do I. Who cares for comparisons with farm equipment and taxis. More power to the people. If they make a street legal tractor, I'd probably buy that. Pune roads I tell ya.

And I loved that video by Salilpawar. Ingenious.

Quote:
So whats changed? Indian males (I am one) still like topless models

(MODS: That was MMs punchline for the Classic not my words)
[/quote]
I am smitten by the topless Jeep. +1.
Old 13th December 2010, 18:35   #126
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
AC,HT,etc they need to stop at that. You know whats coming and whats not why go on cribbing about it. I wasnt telling people what to buy what not to buy.
Consumers are free to ask for what they want, its upto the Company to supply or not. Why do you want to put a gag on consumer voice!

Atleast that was what was evident from your earlier replies, you categorically went about telling people who wish to take family along, have A.C, stay away from the vehicle.

Quote:
Question was who would be alright sweating it out. I replied I was, I didnt say I didnt want an AC.
So why the rhetoric! Have your A.C. & enjoy & let others too!

Quote:
A dozen threads on the Thar and we know whats it coming with and what its not. Why go on with the same cribbing in every thread. This AC/HT options have been discussed to death. I wasnt advising what to buy and what not to buy.
There is a difference between discussion & conclusion. Till now the official spec. sheet is not out, most is speculation.Period. What conclusion did you arrive at after being a part of all the earlier threads, will A.C. be offered by dealers at extra cost or would people have to get an aftermarket job done?

To put it straight, people are going to buy Thar on their own requirements. Solo/true offroaders are few, they will buy for offroading needs but that's not going to be the only market for Thar. Many will use it at their farm, rough terrain, daily commute, office runs, market trips, school pick up/drops, family outings, someones wife or kids may use it, some will go to gyms, hotels, malls, cinemas, colleges, beach. Some will ride it solo, some with family, some with friends. The list is endless, its upto the user to see his needs & requirements & make a choice. Some will be using it in villages/rural areas, some in snow, some in deserts, some in extreme heat.

Now how do you decide whether A.C. is required or not, its not just "FAMILY" the term you are frequently using, going to need an A.C. A regular Jeeper, solo rider loves the A.C./comfort too!

Think about it, not everybody likes to go topless! Its a wise choice actually, saves you of all the dust, smoke, noise, pollutants, heat, water & mud in the face!
Old 13th December 2010, 18:37   #127
BHPian

MODs I think this time you don't need to close this thread but move to The "Indian Car Scene"

Where is the Hardcore Jeepers ? Arka its time to give some energy to this thread.

Calicut show room already got a booking for Thar CRDi from Wayanad, Shibu I doubt you
Old 13th December 2010, 19:14   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post

will A.C. be offered by dealers at extra cost or would people have to get an aftermarket job done?
Dealer fit or not, if its not a factory fit its still an after market job, isnt'it
Old 13th December 2010, 19:22   #129
BANNED

I think it is simple.

Is the Thar mechanically good? It is very good.

Is it good as a comfortable vehicle? It is very bad.

Do all off roaders need to have No AC, No PS, hard interiors, cramped seats at the rear and stone age dashboards?

No.

Not at all, and there are enough examples to prove that. Period.
Old 13th December 2010, 19:28   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Sometimes I think it is a minor miracle that India, Mahindra, can produce any automobiles at all given the conditions here. Long suffering India is besieged and beleaguered by mind numbing poverty and corruption. A member search of this site shows that there is only one member from Bihar and one from Chhattisgarh. So I don't get too bent out of shape if the Thar does not have a cup holder or whatever.

It is my fervent hope that we do not use these machines as they do in the West, with a sense of entitlement and self-importance. We don't REALLY need them after all. I hope we use them to explore a natural world that awes us with its balance and splendor. I hope this fosters a sense of stewardship of our world instead of a sense of exploitation. I hope it brings friends and families together. I hope it brings us to the top of a lonely hill to watch the sunset where we continue to be intrigued by the magic and mystery that is our lives. I hope we can get chicks with this thing.
OT:

Dear Dirty Dan,

Quite a post. If you observe further there are many miracles. Team-bhp is a miracle, this thread is a miracle, your post is a miracle, that Hitler-video is a miracle, the fact that this thread is not yet closed is a miracle.

“The blue mountain is the father of the white cloud. The white cloud is the son of the blue mountain. All day long they depend on each other, without being dependent on each other. The white cloud is always the white cloud. The blue mountain is always the blue mountain”.

Cheers always.
Old 13th December 2010, 19:35   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Is it good as a comfortable vehicle? It is very bad.
Dev, Why do you say it is a uncomfortable vehicle? I was assuming, rather dreaming a newgen IFS, 100hp engine, smooth GB and multi link rear suspension would make the CrDe-Thar a slightly better (understatement? ) vehicle than my rickety 20 year old CJ340.

Quote:
Do all off roaders need to have No AC, No PS, hard interiors, cramped seats at the rear and stone age dashboards?
No.
aye aye!!

Last edited by svsantosh : 13th December 2010 at 19:38.
Old 13th December 2010, 20:04   #132
BHPian

Hi.

There is one announcement on Facebook page that says the Thar CRDe will be launched this Month-End. Date is not yet revealed, nor the price.

Here is the official post (From MahindraThar (ADMIN ID)):

After all the patience you guys’ve shown, we are pleased to announce that the Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4 will be launching by the end of this month.
Keep checking this space for more details.

So keep watching that space & get ready to say HO HO HO!!!!

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 13th December 2010 at 20:05.
Old 13th December 2010, 20:05   #133
Senior - BHPian

AC?
The Thar is around the corner and all I keep hearing on this thread is about AC missing?

So what if the AC is not given. Plumbing is present. If you want AC take it to a aftermarket place and get a condenser and compressor fixed. Agreed Factory fitment would be best but the option but its not there at the moment.. live with it.

From what MM is stating here looks like they thought of everything needed to make AC fitment a plug and play aftermarket option.

I appreciate folks like samurai and others who have come to terms with it and are planning and budgeting on fitting the AC once taking the delivery.

MM have excluded the AC and hard top options obviously to keep the Introduction prices down. If the product clicks I am sure they will provide these options as well.

Without testing the Indian waters do you want them to go all out with all options?

Of all the vehicles in our 4x4 section, (where this thread is also present in) what % of vehicles have AC?
You want it - please go ahead and fit it. Lets move on.

HT?

What I am more interested in is the logic behind Xylo (Family MUT) having AT tyres and the THAR (4x4 offroader for 'Boys') comes with HT tyres.

MM dont tell me you want to cut on prices here to bring the total price down? How much are you really saving here? 200-300Rs a tyre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Seeing all the excitement in the thread, called up the dealer here in HYD and he said the THAR is there. Went and saw the THARDI 4X2 on delivery bay for display to customers. They didn't know about the CRDe but these were the official prices.

THAR DI 4X2 BS3 - 4,42,000
THAR DI 4X4 BS3 - 4,90,590
THAR DI 4X4 BS4 - 6,17,933

Seeing the last one, I raised a doubt so he said that he will check. But considering the THAR DI is only in BS-3 avatar, I consider the last one to be the THAR CRDe 4x4 BS-4 prices.

I have also initiated the exchange process for my Bolero with the THAR . If all goes well, will have the THAR within a month of its launch
The last option has to be THAR CRDe .. however with your passion for the Bolero, I am surprised you trading it in for a Thar. Kudos. Looks like you are the 2nd confirmed buyer on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Congrats! I reckon you might be the first firmed customer then?
From that I gather Samurai has done extensive (offroad) tests on it and is convinced of buying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Guys, why dont we realize that this isnt intended to be your only car. this is intended to be a sort of "second car" or "weekend car"....its just like having a fiat.
Seriously? You pinning hopes only on people buying this as their second car? Not interested in higher sales? I think this should be much more reliable than a Fiat?

Edit: Maniac - you just beat me to that post
That post on Facebook was just 58mins ago and already "You and 101 others like this."

Last edited by IronWolf : 13th December 2010 at 20:12.
Old 13th December 2010, 20:11   #134
BHPian

Here is one video of European spec Thar. Do check out the nicely done Hard Top & sweet Engine sound .
Old 13th December 2010, 21:00   #135
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Spitfire, what 'family' means in this context would be an outing for the wife and kids in reasonable comfort in an offroad vehicle (OTRs, camping, fishing etc.), which usually sees traveling 300-400kms over a weekend. I would personally use the Thar to take the kids (carpool) to school and go out in the weekends to my getaways. It surely does not mean a regular family trip like a pilgrimage with parents or picking up the boss from the airport. I do not think we should mix up 'family' here. I for one cannot lug my wife and kids in a dusty, rackety, unreliable old MM540 to anyplace, save a weekend trip. Just the peace of mind that the Thar will give (no breakdowns) will be worth it. My 2 cents. Of course, the price will be crucial here as well.

Originally Posted by Sudarshan
Hmm, my bad .You people are 'Still' in mood to take wify & kiddys along to such calm & far away 'Places' ( where no common vehicle can reach )

I was thinking otherwise .A 4x4 without AC , top is a good excuse to escape from,( i mean evrything in life ) & towards nirvana

anyways this is off topic but ' thou shall take your family along ' & thats good .

Sudarshan

Like I said earlier, to each his own. My wife is a Coorgi and is more 'ourdoorsy' than me. And my son just LOVES the great outdoors. Nothing wrong in the occasional fishing trip with Jr.

BUT, If you need to 4x4 to escape 'from' family, hey the Thar fits your bill as well !! Anyways, getting back on topic, no news from the M&M chaps yet !?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks