Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2010, 21:04   #136
BANNED

re: Mahindra Thar CRDe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Think about it, not everybody likes to go topless! Its a wise choice actually, saves you of all the dust, smoke, noise, pollutants, heat, water & mud in the face!
Jai Ho Sirjee, maaf kar de bhai (forgive me oh brother).

Forget what I said. I wasnt saying what you understood. I clarified in the other posts.

I will also join you now We want AC, We want PS, We want World Peace!!
Old 13th December 2010, 21:05   #137
Team-BHP Support

Found this url
:: Welcome to Mahindra Thar ::

Quote:
SPECIFICATIONS

Engine NEF CRDe Turbocharged intercooled, Euro IV
Capacity 2498 CC
Bore x Stroke 94 x 90 m.m.
Power 105 H.P.@3800 R.P.M.
Torque 247NM@1800-2000R.P.M.

Transmission 5 speed – Manual
Transfer Case
Borg Warner – Manual Shift
2 Speed gear reduction - High 1.0:1 Low 2.48:1

Axle
Front
Full Floating Hypoid Ratio 4.3:1,
Capacity: 1100 kg

Rear
Semi-Floating Hypoid Ratio 4.3:1,
Capacity: 1700 kg
Hub Lock Auto

Minimum Turing Radius 5.25 m
Wheelbase 2430 mm

Suspension Independent front suspension with Torsion bar and stabilizer bar
Rear Semi elliptical leaf springs
Ground Clearance 200 mm
Approach angle 46°
Departure angle 30°

Brakes
Front
Rear
Disc & caliper
Drums

Tyres P 235/70 R 16 Tubeless Tyres
Wheels 6.5 J X 16

Dimensions
Front Track 1445 mm
Rear Track 1346 mm
Overall Length 3920 mm
Wheel Base 2430 mm
Overall Height 1930 mm
Overall Width 1710 mm

Curb Weight
1750 Kgs
Seating Capacity 1 +1 seater
Colours
Arctic White
Mist Silver
Black
ToreadorRed

Last edited by bblost : 13th December 2010 at 21:08.
Old 13th December 2010, 21:07   #138
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
MODs I think this time you don't need to close this thread but move to The "Indian Car Scene"

Where is the Hardcore Jeepers ? Arka its time to give some energy to this thread.

Calicut show room already got a booking for Thar CRDi from Wayanad, Shibu I doubt you
Why move the thread ?! And why Arka !? I dont quite understand...!?
Old 13th December 2010, 21:11   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Dev, Why do you say it is a uncomfortable vehicle? I was assuming, rather dreaming a newgen IFS, 100hp engine, smooth GB and multi link rear suspension would make the CrDe-Thar a slightly better (understatement? ) vehicle than my rickety 20 year old CJ340.
+1 SVS. I guess, it also depends on what car you are upgrading from.
Dev, is saying it, from the experience with a Scorpio.
Me and you, are saying it, from our experience with a 340 and a Gypsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
What I am more interested in is the logic behind Xylo (Family MUT) having AT tyres and the THAR (4x4 offroader for 'Boys') comes with HT tyres.

MM dont tell me you want to cut on prices here to bring the total price down? How much are you really saving here? 200-300Rs a tyre?
Forget this one too Dan. Imagine getting ATs like Apollo Hawkz or MRF Wanderers. Selling it also would be a pain.
I don't care if Thar comes with HT or LT or whatever..
As long as those tyres fetch me a good price in the used tyre market, you can always sell those HTs and get a nice set of AT/MTs. What say?

Cheers,
Deepak

Last edited by starter : 13th December 2010 at 21:21.
Old 13th December 2010, 21:14   #140
Senior - BHPian

@Spitfire: This may sound like an argument but let me just put it this way.

In the 90s M&M sold Classic as a boys toy. The sales figures give you a answer. Is the model still being offered?

A decade later they served the legend which was for the getaway segment. Again more of a boys toy without family there. Is this model being offered?

Bolero is called a tourist vehicle but it does have everything which a family vehicle has and thats the reason i went in for it. Agreed that the long wheel base one is target a taxi market but i cared less.

Rural market: This is the tale of my familys progression. We began with an international. It took us from place A to B but long distance travel with the family was ruled out and thus an amby was used. Can you imagine taking your grandma along in a open jeep for 300 kms?

Well so M&M offered the 540 Xdp which was gladly bought. The international still remained. This was better as we could take it long distance but now grandma stayed at home. Esteem served the purpose when the travel involved places with hema malinis cheeks. But the travel over craters and boulders courtesy a very efficient Kar govt meant the 540 was used.

This reduced the role of the international for farm work but still esteem was needed when bangalore was concerned with pollution and safety concerns.

Now comes future esteem was old and 540 had done close to a lakh kms so entered the Bolero xdp. Spec sheet had everything more than a base version scorpio plus the price was cheaper by 50000. Thus it entered our life. Does the duty of family lugging VERY WELL. Has completely negated the role of a car.

So this is what rural folks usually want. Something which can take care of what our respective govts call a road and also take care of what we call a family. We also do love safety and also love it if things look good. Its just the roads which do not look good in the rural areas.

Till then am out of this place unless M&M marketing tells something.
Old 13th December 2010, 21:23   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Sorry to put up a new topic in between, but one thing is bothering me and that is about the GC of Thar. It is just 200 mm. The Army spec MM550's GC is 265 mm.

PS- I guess the biggest buyer of Thar would be Indian Army. Everything revolving around them.
@Ym-enjn: The ground clearance of the Army MM550XD is 235 MM & not 265mm. The clearance is due to the 31 inch tires installed on the Army MM550. You can get the same ground clearance in the Thar by upgrading to 235/85/16 tires. Army will take the MDI version and not the CRDe Thar. Hence they can get the same clearance as the existing Army MM550XD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
I think they launched the Thar with minimum bells & whistles to keep the ex-showroom as minimum as possible. Hardtop and A/C can come later when prices can be jacked up proportionately.

If hardtop + A/C Thar were launched at 8.45 ex-showroom, it would have shocked folks in any case.
exactly Lurker. They need to draw a line somewhere to keep the price low. AC is required by many but not by all? This forum has 100s of Jeep/Gypsy owners. How many of them have AC? I am sure maybe 10 or less....
Old 13th December 2010, 21:29   #142
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
I think they launched the Thar with minimum bells & whistles to keep the ex-showroom as minimum as possible. Hardtop and A/C can come later when prices can be jacked up proportionately.
As per B.D Sir, its not that simple to add or remove features as per manufacturer's convenience at least wrt the hard top. It all depends on the CMVR rules and regulations.
Old 13th December 2010, 21:47   #143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Without testing the Indian waters do you want them to go all out with all options?
Only similarity between SA and IN is that both are peninsulas. SA, is only a part of it, India is the whole.

Heck.

We have better buying power. Bigger Market, and are sitting ducks for gimmicks.
Old 13th December 2010, 22:05   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
... They need to draw a line somewhere to keep the price low. AC is required by many but not by all? This forum has 100s of Jeep/Gypsy owners. How many of them have AC? I am sure maybe 10 or less....
I hope M&M is not using the output of the corner mechanic shop as a bench mark, as you say.

Of the very limited interaction with just the Bangalore off-roading team, I know of one Jeep that has a fully functional AC. And am sure Allan's (Xtreme_Power) team would be able to do the same to any Jeep, just need $$$ (there might be others also, but I am not aware, as of now).

M&M has economics of scales to their advantage.

And why talk about cost, when:
- they had the body dies for as long as we all know
- all part are in either one or the other existing product.

So, shouldn't the price be much lower that what is being speculated?

Wishful thinking, but I hope the final pricing will put all of us in a foot-in-mouth situation!

BD might just have a rabbit to pull in his hat!
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2010, 03:34   #145
BHPian

How many of us can have more than one vehicle? one just for the off roading pleasure and one for the family ?

How many families are there in India in which a dad can gift a 4X4 to his adventurous college going son ?

Well , there are many but not enough to boost the sale of a vehicle to push it to success .

Is that the Mahindra expectation ?

I love Jeeps . I was driving a 4 wheel MM540 through Bangalore couple of years back. I was born and bought up in a village in Kerala where only jeeps can be driven around the roads available in those days . 4X4 was a requirement and not an extravaganza. I saw families showing up their prestige by parking as much as jeeps they can in front of their house using the black gold power ( pepper)

I enjoyed watching every single eye falling on my soft top 540 while driving in banglore . But when I realized my daughter’s cheeks turning to red even after a short drive in my jeep, I did not think twice , I sold my MM540 and got a Bolero sports first and now a Bolero VLX.

Power of Family in India !!!!

Next time when I am visiting the showroom , if I am finding my Old MM540 as a decent piece of technology ( Speed, AC , Power steering , front facing second row seats etc) which caters the requirement of mine as well as my family , definitely I will have a serious look at that machine with an intension to buy, Otherwise I will just ignore it as “ show piece machine” for people with tons of money.

Otherwise as somebody already stated, THAR will follow the path of CLASSIC . No trace after few years !!!!!
Old 14th December 2010, 07:45   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Spike, that's the only better anti theft protection a soft top vehicle can have. am not sure about bolero, but i thought all new scorpios comes with immobilizer. for bolero we need to break open the doors first to enter inside but for thar such effort is not required. since thar has crde i thought it comes with the immobilizer by default. all maruti products has it. its mandatory in Europe without which you cannot avail the insurance. India is also following the same isn't? not sure how strict it is here.
Star, my query was:- "is there a connection / logic between BS-IV and immobilizer?" Does the hardware warrant it? The answer to which is - No. In India, Immobilizer is not mandatory, however if fitted it is governed by a few laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
can you please tell me the tire size ?
Scorpio tyres:- P235/70 R16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Sirji, can you please tell me why the XYLO comes with AT tyres and Bolero Campers come with Good Year Wrangler AT's and the THAR with HT
This is a Googly,I doubt if anyone will be able to answer this

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Spike: Flawed logic here! Just because you do not give it in Bolero does not mean it should not be there in the Thar, right. Or are you referring to MileCruncher having got used to living without a immobilizer? (not sure of the variant MC has, though!)
I am not for / against providing Immobilizer, I have explained my logic above. I wanted to know from our expert (Star_aqua) whether the hardware / software used in the Electronic stuffs for BS-IV warrant an Immobilizer, is that clear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Just found out from local M&M team, the launch is scheduled before 23rd December 2011.
Keep throwing those stones, you will hit it. Man you are very close, I wonder who creates these strong rumors. :-)

Spike
Old 14th December 2010, 08:30   #147
Team-BHP Support

India is a lot more than bangalore and many cities routinely see 45 degree C in the summers. I doubt even "machos" would like to drive 200kms on a hot summer afternoon with temperature running 40+
AC is a must unless Mahindra is positioning Thar as a niche second vehicle just for OTRs. But if we are talking just for OTRs an army disposal kind of jeep which is not use as a daily driver does make more sense as it can be done for 4L on road with acceptable reliability for a weekend OTR vehicle.
Also remember, if Thar is intented to be this, Mahindra should be targetting around 200-300 units a month in sales. If they want to move to 2000/month zone then AC and heater is the bare minimum.
Old 14th December 2010, 08:36   #148
Senior - BHPian

update on facebook.

Quote:
Mahindra Thar

After all the patience you guys’ve shown, we are pleased to announce that the Mahindra Thar CRDe 4x4 will be launching by the end of this month.
Keep checking this space for more details.13 hours ago
Old 14th December 2010, 08:39   #149
Senior - BHPian

So much has been said about ACs and heaters that it comes to my mind that:
Guys who do not want A/c or heaters in their 4X4s and if they come as a factory fitment, feel free to rip it off and use the THAR.
The others who want it, feel free to explore the world of aftermarkets.
Old 14th December 2010, 08:47   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

I will also join you now We want AC, We want PS, We want World Peace!!
Hey Cmmon, you cannot put PS in the same bucket as AC and World Peace!! . PS on such a vehicle is definitely a boon.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed