Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2010, 00:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Marengo: Rocky Beige Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 55,555 kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Good show.

Get rid of the lepper-like sticker on the body...the most horrible way of differentiating a model.

I think the rocky-beige is the best color of the lot.
I too was not a big fan of the sticker. Neither am I now. But I think on the Rocky Beige the sticker interferes least with the visual attributes.

The opinion seems to be divided in our family regarding removing those

My Mother, Sister, Wife and Daughter are against removing those
My Father, Me, 1100D, Ikon and Marengo are against keeping those. Problem is that the last three are least vocal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
Congratulation on your new buy I know it would be a high moment to own the only car made in India. You deserver the proud moment and the color is simply awesome.

More than your words the photo justifies its a 4 WD reminding me "Actions speaks louder than words". That was nice daring try, keep it coming.

Happy and safe motoring
Thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Nice man! congrats.
Which place is this?
You got a small crowd of sorts!!
Marengo makes the climbs/dives look easy-peesy-jappaneesy!!
Enjoy, and drive safe.
Yes, made it easy.

Infact on the way to this site, we had a little confusion for which we were forced to climb up the (almost 2 storey) embankment to the expressway at an oblique angle. This was the first use of the Low-ratio.

Firstly the '52 Willy's showed the way, the terrain. I was a bit apprehensive looking at its composure just before reaching the expressway. Besides the climb was not perpendicular to the slope. So when it was our turn to go, I decided that I will first do a slow recce of the terrain, getting a feel of it. Then I will reverse back to ground zero, build momentum and gun for it depending on my recce experience. But as it turned out, doing the recce I was 90 percent through, and a gentle prod on the throttle and I was up on the expressway in no time.

Dad saw this from ground zero and he too confirmed that it did not look as dramatic as the Willy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Good stuff 1100D!! Congratulations. I am sure the Marengo will serve its Master in its full pride!
Thanks. However all our cars are my friends as I am theirs. (No master relationship)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@1100D: Congratulations from a felllow Scorpio 4WD owner. My preferred choice was a Silver Scorpio. Unfortunately Mahindra is absolutely silly about these things which I don't understand at all since 4WD is made only against order.
Sometimes truth can be stranger than fiction. But I guess the trick is to insist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
good one 1100D
well done!
in the current set of options they are only offering Black or White - Rocky Beige is without a doubt their best shade.
I was also enquiring about upgrading my current Rocky Beige LX 2WD to a 4WD with all the safety features (VLX) - but none of the local Mahindra chaps were able to give me an answer about whether they could get me a Rocky Beige.
Shall have to write direct to the M&M Chiefs I think. But I am now biding my time.

I hope you have an enjoyable time with the new monster.
You see my vehcile in Rocky Beige. See this other one in Java Brown, that too bought recently

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ived-home.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Congrats on Marengo and welcome to the club, though you are in the elite group of 4WD owners.

I m sure you will enjoy his company and support for many more years to come.

Once small help. I believe the inner door panels have been changed by M&M. Can you pl post pics of the same.
Thanks, though nothing elite about having a 4wd drivetrain and I will share once I take the pictures. As a matter of fact I was postponing shooting the car till I reached some OTR site. So naturally the interior and other pics have not yet been shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Congrats on the Marengo buddy. Nice pics & vids. You make me jealous now, mine is a 2WD. Sigh!
Thanks, dont be jealous, the gem of the Scorpio mHawk is its Engine and you got that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
Congrats. Not even the new ribbon have been removed and you are riding your marengo where it belongs.

Enjoy. Happy ride
Neither the ribbon nor the seat plastic has been removed. Marengo needed to earn seatcovers foot mats etc. It certainly has earned them now. But, I did not get the time to take it to the shop. The only time I took out was to swap the tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Congrats Anirban da - i was shocked to see you in the Scorpio that night (though i knew this was coming...only thing was that i didn't realize that you planned to surprize me)

Enjoy the beast. Take care and drive safe. Enjoy the OTRs
I will remember your expression that night for ever. It was priceless, exactly like

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Great-looking ride. Loved the videos and the comments in the background. Congrats!
Thanks, will call on you next time I visit your lovely city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Congrats on your new truck Anirban da.
I still remember you telling me you dislike SUV's.

So is the Josh Machine staying?
I am still pretty much a car guy. Josh Machine and the 1100d stays on.
I bought this as our family required a 6+ seater and I decided on this one as it has atleast something in it for me (the 4WD hardware)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Glad to be of help, 1100D. Look forward to more pics and a running report.

Bridgestones vs. Geolandars - the debate can go on all month and not come to a conclusion. Since my H-4® rides on Bridgestones (with over 31k km covered already), it'll serve as an interesting comparison. Let's try out those tyres next year when we do this.

For 1100D this SUV stands for the Suave Urban Vehicle! Me too...
Nicely said.

Bridgestones vs. Geolandars, I would not get into a debate mode. It was not an experimented choice. But the tyreshop friend had himself suggested first familiarising with the Duellers, and then switching to Geolandars. He gave me a whole week (expiring just about now), to switch back to the Duellers, if I so desired. But I am not going back.

The vehicle runs much smoother on less than perfect road surfaces in Kolkata due to the innumerable infrastructure projects.

On the day of the switch there was heavy rainfall. So I drove to the tyreshop on Duellers and drove out of the shop on Geolandars. The difference was also visible to the passenger. Just to confirm I went back to the same road I drove to the shop on. The vehcile was a lot more surefooted.

Only drawback is a little drop in steering feel. And a little tyre sidewall flexing at high speed cornering which an SUV is anyway not supposed to do.

But Duellers offered silence and excellent resistanceless drive on the Durgapur expressway in dry condition. However throw in a few pothoes, the Geolandar immediately smoothens them out.

So no debate required. It was a conscious decision not to switch back.

Lets see how it turns out in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzire2Travel View Post
We are all waiting for that ride .. some weekend. :-).
The VDO's say it all. But was Marengo planning to erk some environmentalists by crushing the tree and then the jomi bachao committe by taking on the shacks?? Its too intimadating for all who stare and watch its moves.
Marengo did not crush any tree. Marengo is like Dogmatix, does not want vegetation to be depleted, hence it is BS4.

Was planning a detailed initial drive writeup, but then a few work/social constraints kept me away from the forum.

Would have started by writing that had a back to back comparison between a 2WD and a 4WD, and the 4WD definitely handles cleaner, corners flatter, due to its different front suspension.

Last edited by 1100D : 16th December 2010 at 00:50.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2010, 02:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. Once you get over it's mountain goat abilities, would love to hear about all the gizmos this model comes loaded with !

Btw, why India? Isn't it the only Rocky Beige 4WD VLX in the world ?
Old 16th December 2010, 21:00   #18
BHPian

Congrats 1100D for the "exclusive" Scorpio. The snaps have certainly made a serious impact. Mahindra can use one or two for brand promotion as well.
Wishing you lots of happy miles with the "Marengo"-complicated name, I must say.
Old 16th December 2010, 21:55   #19
NFS
BHPian

Congrats 1100D for your upgrade to 2200D (No offense, I meant 2.2D MHawk), but no change of Username possible in TeamBHP.

Some questions here, saw you got the Rocky Biege, but this was not offered earlier, was it that you insisted on this color and got it? or was it that they offered somehow? Please put some more light on this. When I enquired, Java Brown, White and Black were the offers.

3> It has the option of switching between the seating confgurations of a captains seat variant vs a 8 seater three row one. How is this possible? What seating config did you buy?

Please, Post some interior pics, seems that there had been some changes to the door pads.

Bought in Dec, did you get some discounts, as 50K offer is currently on.

Congrats once again on your 4x4. Enjoy!

Last edited by NFS : 16th December 2010 at 21:58.
Old 16th December 2010, 21:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Congratulations. Once you get over it's mountain goat abilities, would love to hear about all the gizmos this model comes loaded with !

Btw, why India? Isn't it the only Rocky Beige 4WD VLX in the world ?
Yes my friend, all coming soon, have a lot to write, but a lot of these "Biye-Bari's" at this time of the year isn't helping. So are the end of year preparations at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Congrats 1100D for the "exclusive" Scorpio. The snaps have certainly made a serious impact. Mahindra can use one or two for brand promotion as well.
Wishing you lots of happy miles with the "Marengo"-complicated name, I must say.

Marengo was Napoleons Steed.

Before Mahindra does Brand promotions, they need to do their dealer training differently. Why I mentioned differently is because they are training them, but not much is happenning. All that coming later.

Anyway, before the Mods close this thread, a risk perception communicated by a very well meaning Kolkata Team Bhp brother, lets take this story further. Any story about the initial ownership of a vehicle will be incomplete without making a reference to the vehicle selection criteria.

There was absolutely no plans to get a SUV. The road presence, the prospect of being seen driving one, doesn't appeal to me at all. On the contrary do not want to be seen as a poser at all. A low slung sedan always wins hands down in my books.

However, the idea started from the fact that our family loves to travel together. We are a family of 5, + the kid. With every passing month its becoming increasingly difficult to accomodate them in a sedan. Besides, need more travelling room.

Obviously the Innova comes to the mind. Though I dont have anything against that van, I dont have much of positives either. It did not tick any of the emotional senses. For a van, it has brilliant handling and roadholding, got excellent space. Then there is the Toyota brandname. The quintessential Software industry person swears by Toyota, and thats where my problem began. This van appeals to most of the "play-it-safe-spend-more" people I dont want to associate with. Besides there was nothing else. With a 2.5 Litre engine it better had bigger go.

Xylo and Grande were very big contenders to the "carry all" segment, they were considerably cheaper. Mahindra has also silently tuned Xylo's suspension and its much more compliant now from what it used to be before and in black shade, the thing doesn't appear to look as bad as it did earlier.

However, all these vehicles did not really appeal. Most of the trainings we receive consider one big aspect everyone thinks of, while deciding on an option "whats in it for me". Realised none of the 6+ seater would have it, unless I am ordering one with 4x4. Know very well that a 6+ seat 4x4 will not have the abilities of the MM550 or the hardcore jeeps, but still, better offroad abilities than a van.

Without offending Safari owners, I would play it safe by saying that I took test drives of the Safari and the Scorp back to back and chose the Scorp due it having a front facing third row!!

Anyway, with all these thoughts in mind, it was imperative that the scorpio 4wd performed the way it did at the Offroad site. So reserved shooting pictures and everything, till I got it down the ditch.

I do see that the running boards and the rear overhang is a hindrance, but the placement of the sparetyre, prevents the rear bumper from grazing while approaching a climb, so makes up for a low angle of departure.

Next up will be the buying experience.

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_2021.jpg
Old 16th December 2010, 22:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
3> It has the option of switching between the seating confgurations of a captains seat variant vs a 8 seater three row one. How is this possible? What seating config did you buy?
IIRC the export models do have 2nd row captain seats ala Innova top end variant.

he got the normal seats in the second row and captain seats from Mahindra as a special order if i am not mistaken.

May be Anirban can correct me if i am wrong.
Old 17th December 2010, 10:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

can you share with us the second row seats pictures (other than the ones clicked earlier) ? I guess it is captain seats.
Old 18th December 2010, 14:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats 1100D for your upgrade to 2200D (No offense, I meant 2.2D MHawk), but no change of Username possible in TeamBHP.!
As discussed, no car will get the emotional space the 1100D occupies!

But great that you brought out the coincidence of the 2200D, smart thinking.

Quote:
Some questions here, saw you got the Rocky Biege, but this was not offered earlier, was it that you insisted on this color and got it? or was it that they offered somehow? Please put some more light on this. When I enquired, Java Brown, White and Black were the offers.!
I requested, begged, appealed to their softer side. Later said that I am not spending 12 lakhs on a white car.

Quote:
3> It has the option of switching between the seating confgurations of a captains seat variant vs a 8 seater three row one. How is this possible? What seating config did you buy?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
IIRC the export models do have 2nd row captain seats ala Innova top end variant

he got the normal seats in the second row and captain seats from Mahindra as a special order if i am not mistaken.

May be Anirban can correct me if i am wrong.
@Planet what you saw on the car is the change made. The vehicle normally has captain seats in the middle, the installed second row in the vehicle is the 60:40 split bench seat.

I have the captain seats (that the vehicle was manufactured with) at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
can you share with us the second row seats pictures (other than the ones clicked earlier) ? I guess it is captain seats.
Quote:
Please, Post some interior pics, seems that there had been some changes to the door pads.!
Yes, will share once I do some interior shots. As a matter of fact did not get the time at all. My first intent was to find out the offroadability.

The other cars are also demanding some attention. Someone had drained the 1100D of its fuel, have to find out who. Besides the battery was also drained. so needed a bit of processing to get it back to the road. Will have to wax both the "cars". Hopefully by tomorrow, I shall have the interior pics, but they are still wrapped in plastic.

But please dont get the idea that I want to drag the plastic for as long as possible announcing to all and sundry that I am driving a new SUV!!

Quote:
Bought in Dec, did you get some discounts, as 50K offer is currently on.!
No, I did not get it. It was such an irritating thought that I took the delivery on 2nd Dec and the deal was on from 3rd. I was thinking that the dealer folks were helping me in getting the car out fast, after the initial fiascos. Later it turned out that their target was to get the car out before this deal starts. Although the dealer person claims that this deal is just a coincidence and they did not know about it till 3rd December. As if I beleive them. But since the money is already paid, all the efforts to get something out will not really work as all the other workarounds that I got.

Would like to forget about it, rather than live with that irritating feeling.

Quote:
Congrats once again on your 4x4. Enjoy!
Thanks, although what I am doing presently is getting to know the limits of the vehicle in 2wd mode itself. Using the 4wd to only get "unstuck". Last Thursday took a few minutes off to do a little Mudplugging. Mostly on softmud. What I see is that as long as I have a little bit of momentum, or the wheels continue rolling, Marengo continues with it in 2WD. Could be Geolandars at work.

But definitely on soft soil, the vehicle has a tendency to sink if kept static for sometime. Thats the weight disadvantage. So even if the vehicle is driven to a location and parked there in 2WD. Extracting it out of its "park" mode, sometimes required the front axles to be engaged.
Old 20th December 2010, 22:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please, Post some interior pics, seems that there had been some changes to the door pads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Sharing the pictures of the seats and the doorpads.

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_2199.jpg

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_2201.jpg

In place of these seats the car was manufactured with captain seats (kept at home in the same colour combination). I have the flexibility of putting them on, or better still use them for a potential future hard-core offroader.
Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_2200.jpg

The car has done various types of duties in the last few days but it seems to enjoy carrying a lot of people or load. The ride gets smoother and so does the handling.

Just crossed 1000 kms on Sunday, on the same day the Ikon reached 87000.
Old 20th December 2010, 22:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Wow! A 4WD Scorpio in Rocky Beige. You really must have great convincing skills!

I see that the circular part at the centre of Marengo's alloys protrudes more than it does on my SLE. If your Scorpio is washed by anyone other than you (your watchman/gardener/servant etc), please please tell him/her NOT to use that protrusion as a foothold to reach the roof or top part of the windshield. I've seen too many VLX Scorpios with a hole at the centre of their alloys, and believe me, it doesn't look pretty.

Many congratulations, and wish you a million miles of safe and happy driving!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 21st December 2010, 09:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Cool. The door pads have been changed for the better. the grab handles look good & of better quality. even the speaker covers & bottle holder design is changed. it looks a more 'premium' now, relatively!

but i dint like the new door open lever. the older one looked chunkier. the new one is so thin that it exposes the screw inside. they should have given a chrome lever.

mahindra does all this silently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I see that the circular part at the centre of Marengo's alloys protrudes more than it does on my SLE.
the hub cover in his scorpio bulges out because his scorpio is a 4WD & maybe yours is a 2WD.

yes, my scorpio, even though its a 2WD has bulging covers! mahindra moved to flat covers later on feedback from customers that this covers breaks easily on hitting stones or kerbs. I am glad i have the bulging cover though, it looks better IMO.
Old 21st December 2010, 13:43   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
...the centre of Marengo's alloys protrudes more than it does on my SLE.
That's a plastic hub cap which covers the front ALH (auto locking hubs) - the rear caps are cosmetic. And yes, they do break easily, but cost less than Rs.300 to replace.

The ALH
Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-hub1.jpg

ALH hub cap
Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-hub2.jpg

Breaks easily
Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-hub3.jpg

Flat hub caps for 2WD Scorpios
Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-hub.jpg
Old 21st December 2010, 13:47   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
That's a plastic hub cap which covers the front ALH (auto locking hubs) - the rear caps are cosmetic. And yes, they do break easily, but cost less than Rs.300 to replace.
Cost is not the problem - the availability of these phallic hub caps is questionable when you go to the service center. Have been waiting for 2 weeks now for replacement of mine.
Old 21st December 2010, 13:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

1100D, Thanks for the door pad pictures. Like Raj said, I too like the changes as they now add better look to the car.

Happy Motoring!
Old 21st December 2010, 13:58   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzegeek View Post
...the availability of these phallic hub caps is questionable...
Heehee - take a trip to Manipal / Udupi and get them replaced! http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1936436.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks