Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2010, 14:14   #31
BANNED

re: Marengo: Rocky Beige Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 55,555 kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Cool. The door pads have been changed for the better. the grab handles look good & of better quality. even the speaker covers & bottle holder design is changed. it looks a more 'premium' now, relatively!
The bad part, however is, that while the old door pads were soft to touch and highly scratch resistant, the new ones are plain hard plastic and prone to scratches, just like the dashboard.
Old 21st December 2010, 14:39   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
That's a plastic hub cap which covers the front ALH (auto locking hubs) - the rear caps are cosmetic. And yes, they do break easily, but cost less than Rs.300 to replace.

The ALH
Attachment 471898
How does the ALH operate? I presume this is electrically operated. Curious to know if any kind of solenoid is there and how the wires get routed to the ALH
Old 21st December 2010, 16:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The bad part, however is, that while the old door pads were soft to touch and highly scratch resistant, the new ones are plain hard plastic and prone to scratches, just like the dashboard.
Oh, thats bad. mahindra is doing a lot of cost cutting these days. black mud flaps, less sound insulation & now this.
Old 21st December 2010, 18:25   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhangui View Post
How does the ALH operate? I presume this is electrically operated.
Nope, these are purely mechanical units, which engage when the front axles start turning (slotting into 4WD) - one needs to reverse a few feet to disengage them once the front axles are disengaged (shifting back to 2WD).
Old 21st December 2010, 20:00   #35
BHPian

Quote:
How does the ALH operate? I presume this is electrically operated. Curious to know if any kind of solenoid is there and how the wires get routed to the ALH
Quote:
Nope, these are purely mechanical units, which engage when the front axles start turning (slotting into 4WD) - one needs to reverse a few feet to disengage them once the front axles are disengaged (shifting back to 2WD).
So if one is in 2wd and get stuck, then there is no way the 4wd can get engaged. Some ALH also allow manual locking. Is this possible in Scorpio?

Also moving backwards disengages the lock. So let us say, the vehicle is already in 4wd and you get stuck. To come out let us say the driver attempts a rocking motion to get the vehicle out. Now this should cause lock and unlock. The moment the vehicle comes out (forward), will the sudden power transmitted when the lock happens break the teeth? I used to hear the ALH have these problem. However my knowledge is old and new technologies could have solved this problem. Any idea about the ALH used by scorpio?
Old 22nd December 2010, 00:16   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did not really feel as hard to touch as made out to be, infact even the door handle has a soft feel to it. Might be that since the 4wd is allegedly produced on the export line, benefits from better quality materials. Infact a few Indigo Manza owners were very appreciative.

Quote:
So if one is in 2wd and get stuck, then there is no way the 4wd can get engaged. Some ALH also allow manual locking. Is this possible in Scorpio?

Also moving backwards disengages the lock. So let us say, the vehicle is already in 4wd and you get stuck. To come out let us say the driver attempts a rocking motion to get the vehicle out. Now this should cause lock and unlock. The moment the vehicle comes out (forward), will the sudden power transmitted when the lock happens break the teeth? I used to hear the ALH have these problem. However my knowledge is old and new technologies could have solved this problem. Any idea about the ALH used by scorpio?
You make it sound more complicated than it is.

To engage from 2WD to 4WD, just flick the switch, can be done on the fly (motion). So in case you get stuck in 2wd, flicking the switch engages the front axles within 2 secs.

Now when you want to move from 4WD to 2WD, the hubs have to disengaged by driving in reverse for a meter, a click sound confirms disengagement.

Getting in and out of low ratio requires 6 secs of static wait.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:48   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So if one is in 2wd and get stuck, then there is no way the 4wd can get engaged.
...Now this should cause lock and unlock.
Nothing of the kind. Engagement of ALH is dependent on whether the front axles are turning under engine power or not. When they are, hub locks remain engaged both in forward and reverse. And even if stuck in 2WD, the front diff becoming active is enough to engage 4WD.
Old 25th December 2010, 12:15   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing of the kind. Engagement of ALH is dependent on whether the front axles are turning under engine power or not. When they are, hub locks remain engaged both in forward and reverse. And even if stuck in 2WD, the front diff becoming active is enough to engage 4WD.
Thanks for explaining from a hub's eye view. Although I was keeping it to a mixer-grinder user perspective, as thats exactly what the shifter knob looks like!!

The buying experience has not been anything to write home about.
There are three dealerships in Kolkata and I had received diverse remarks on asking for the 4WD. Besides, information was also not forthcoming. One had to call them to seek info.

In contrast, Toyota, even Tata sales folks were much more proactive.
This is wherein e-mails had to be circulated across to the Mahindra sales people. Information started trickling in and then the Rocky Beige mHawk 4WD VLX BS4 with three row seating emerged.

Although all the dealerships were putting me off saying a minimum 90 day waiting period. It took me around 4 weeks from the date of booking for the dealership folks to tell me that the vehicle is in their workshop.
Allthroughout, I was apprehensive about finding the right colour combination alongwith the 4WD drivetrain, but when I saw the vehicle the first time at the dealers yard, kept separately, all my fears were laid to rest.

On 2nd December took delivery. Though I had to rush from office, no one carried a camera to capture the delivery moment. The sales team was doing a mandatory features explanation, when I politely pointed to the 2H-4H-4L knob and asked what does it do. The demo person got very confused, he looked at the knob for a minute then rushed back into the dealership, brought a few of his colleagues around. He asked them "naya pheechar hai kya?" (Is this a new feature). Then said, "saar, pata kar ke bata doonga" (Sir will let you know after we ask around)

But on a serious note, there was one "thumbs-down" moment. The sales person informed to me that the instruction manual will be given to me 2 days later alongwith the tax-token. Though that promise was kept. The issue was, I was kind of blind to the running-in instructions.

I asked about any restrictions to be followed during the running-in period and the sales person pointed out "new technology sir, just drive the way you want to". My experience told me not to beleive him.

2 days later when I received the instruction manual, I could find "specific" do's and don'ts during the running in period (the first 1000kms for the Scorpio mHawk).

Thankfully I was abiding by them in the intervening time. Had I not, I woud have felt guilty all along.

Sums up what to expect from Mahindra dealerships.

Just a one of a few pics of Marengo at the dealership (though not on the delivery day)

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_1991.jpg
Old 26th January 2011, 13:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

^^ Anirban, you had my number right? One call was enough, anyways congrats on the purchase, hope the beast serves you well!

Spike
Old 26th January 2011, 13:33   #40
BANNED

@1100D - A great and nicely written review. Marenge surely looks great! How about some more interior pictures and your driving experience? Also, did you test drive the xylo before finalizing the deal?
How is the comfort of your beast?
Old 27th February 2011, 19:43   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzire2Travel View Post
...was Marengo planning to erk some environmentalists by crushing the tree...?? Its too intimadating for all who stare and watch its moves.
Well, not just crushing trees, but 1100D's Marengo actually frightens 6x6 trucks into falling down into pits! And then it goes round and round in circles to dig up holes in the ground the size of lakes, where pisciculture will happen subsequently!

Watch...
Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-marengo-1.jpg

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-marengo-0.jpg

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-marengo-2.jpg

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-marengo-3.jpg

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-marengo-4.jpg

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-marengo-5.jpg

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-marengo-6.jpg

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-marengo-7.jpg

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-marengo-8.jpg

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-marengo-9.jpg

Finally, the dust on Marengo has settled...
Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-marengo-10.jpg

...while we discussed articulation. Did we? Or was it 1100D saying V for victory?
Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-marengo-11.jpg

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 27th February 2011 at 19:46.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2011, 19:48   #42
BANNED

marengo seems to be conquering all the terrains! Nice! The toppled truck looks bad. Any idea as to what caused it?
Old 6th March 2011, 13:21   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, not just crushing trees, but 1100D's Marengo actually frightens 6x6 trucks into falling down into pits! And then it goes round and round in circles to dig up holes in the ground the size of lakes, where pisciculture will happen subsequently!

...while we discussed articulation. Did we? Or was it 1100D saying V for victory?
Attachment 508592
It rather looked like K for something. Thanks for the pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMehta View Post
marengo seems to be conquering all the terrains! Nice! The toppled truck looks bad. Any idea as to what caused it?
SS-T has already mentioned!! Anyway the next day I went to see its recovery effort, and forgot to carry something to record it on, the thing was turned back on its wheels by a JCB, and it actually drove out of the ditch on its own power.

The real reason for the overturning was that the ground on its left side gave away.

Time to update the thread with something substantial

I was beginning to feel that the ownership experience was turning out to be rather dull, probably this thread is going to turn out to be photo-blog of sorts! Though did not have anything specific against it, but then a vehicle from an domestic manufacturer is supposed to give more opportunities to update the ownership thread right from the start. Maybe I had been given a domestic lemon.

There were no issues with the vehicle. I was complaining about some rattles which only I could hear from it. Complained about it to SS-T, he flew down specifically to check it. The Dentist drove the car and had a bit of semi-soft-hardly-offroading thrown in, yet he did not notice those rattles.

They were rattles from the headrests as it seemed!

Moreover, I think, the car is quite low on cupholders. On top of that, a useless 2H-4H-4L knob, that no one seems to figure out of what use, takes away one of the cupholders, other scorpio's usually have. Maybe an offroader and cupholder does not gel together, as when the vehicle tosses and turns the contents of the cups, spills and pours.

Anyway, life went on, like this, the first service was due after 3 months or 5000KMS whichever is earlier. On 1st March 2011, I was standing at 4961 kms. So was not sure whether 3 months will come first or 5000kms.

Had booked a prior appointment with Royal Motors workshop (Since I had taken the vehicle from them, they had their sticker on the glass which actually tilted the favour in their yard) the day before.

On 1st March showed up at the workshop at the promised time.

Well now as i write this, things are sorted out. Besides Marengo had quite a few passive dents on it in the last 3 months, some offroading scars, all that has been negated and is back to the condition it was when it left the showroom.

But the service experience is a story to write about. Will do so in the next installment.

Here is a breif breakup of the expenses so far.

First service
Labour - free
Engine oil - Rs 1227.31
Axle oil (rear and from diff) - Rs 687.24
Oil filter - Rs 145.19
Service tax - 258.45
Total Rs 2336

Cosmetic Items
Front right alloy center cap - Rs 281.73
Rear left door graphics - Rs 764.42
Rear left Mudflap - 318.27
Total of cosmetic items = Rs 1364

Denting/Painting - Rs 7072
Taxes - Rs 1815
Total = Rs 8888

Total 1st service charges = Rs 12588

However the real legitimate expense Marengo actually enforced on me was just the first part of First service Rs 2336.

The service experience coming soon.
Old 6th March 2011, 15:37   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
However the real legitimate expense Marengo actually enforced on me was just the first part of First service Rs 2336.

The service experience coming soon.
OT: Is the ride quality of the 4WD different from the 2WD versions? Also, do you have the new door pads now offered by M&M or the old ones?
Old 6th March 2011, 19:25   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OT: Is the ride quality of the 4WD different from the 2WD versions? Also, do you have the new door pads now offered by M&M or the old ones?
If I may answer that - yes, the ride quality is stiffer up front, and the car tends to nosedive less. And yes, 1100D's door pads are of the newer material (harder) as compared to mine, as also his internal lock lever, which is in black (door pads being beige) and has the lock as a separate button, unlike mine which has the Ford-style push-into-lock, pull-out-to-open lever in a tan colour. The new lever also felt more flimsy, though they may turn out to be durable.

Most Viewed