Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2011, 00:31   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Marengo: Rocky Beige Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 55,555 kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
OT: Is the ride quality of the 4WD different from the 2WD versions? Also, do you have the new door pads now offered by M&M or the old ones?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
If I may answer that - yes, the ride quality is stiffer up front, and the car tends to nosedive less. And yes, 1100D's door pads are of the newer material (harder) as compared to mine, as also his internal lock lever, which is in black (door pads being beige) and has the lock as a separate button, unlike mine which has the Ford-style push-into-lock, pull-out-to-open lever in a tan colour. The new lever also felt more flimsy, though they may turn out to be durable.

1100D's doorpads are quite old!!

Anyway Thanks for answering the questions, moreover post no 24 of this thread (page 2) has pics of the door pads. Although this is the only
vehicle of mine whose door pads have been picturised, what an irony!

As SS-T says, the Lever looks flimsy, but have checked it for durability. Although cosmetically does not belong to a
vehicle that costed upwards of 12 lakhs to procure. It must be the worst looking of all the cars I have owned so far. But
then a Honda or a VW of the same price bracket would not seat the sixth passenger and the Toyota wont look this handsome
and boast of a 4WD system!!

Anyway, coming back to the service center experience

Checked in to the Royal Motors service center at the agreed time. Was met by a semi-service advisor, wasted time explaining
that I need the service done, this is a 4wd vehicle, besides this I need denting painting done, asked around for the right
front alloy center cap, negative response, asked for the rear left mudflap, negative response.

Then he chanellised me to the service advisor, who was busy convincing the driver of another hapless owner and wasn't doing
a very good job at it. Had to wait for the convincing to be over.

Asked around for the body shop guy in the interim. He was more forthcoming. He went, checked the whole car, pointed to me,
all this is very minor. The rear left door, that had the dent from another scorp, he was recommending to omit. Why? It has
the graphic that he cant procure. I said, thats the only dented panel, if there is only 1 panel I needed done it would be
this one. He said okay, I should forget the graphics, said okay give me the estimate. The estimate he gave me was
exorbitant, but then, came down to acceptable levels once arguments set in, that most of the panels need only half of it to
be painted. Portions underneath the cladding need no attention at all. He asked me to speak to the service advisor to hand
him over the car once service is over. Should that not be their internal process? They looked at me with disbeleiving eyes.
Anyway, seemed like they still get things done.

Went back to the service advisor, he was wrapping up his convincing skills and it was my turn to be convinced.

He asked me if this was a new car, had to tell him that since its come for its first service so it must be a new one.

Then he took out a piece of paper, "internal job card", I thought to myself, with little knowledge that this would be my
work reciept. He started scribbling on it. Then came the explanation as he wrote the following.

Oil Filter (pronounced as oil philter), Engine oil (pronounced as Mobil), Gear oil, Differential oil, D Carbon, Injector
cleaner.

The last two, I protested, the guy went upto saying, that this is Mahindra recommended and has to be done, I said I havn't
seen it in the service booklet. He said, not everything is written there.

I asked for a minute from him and right at his desk, gave a call to Behram Dhabhar. Spoke to him and he reminded me that my
vehicle is a 4wd, get the axle oil and Transfer case oil looked into. He also asked me to check if these fellows have the
right allen key for the front diff and TC.

But seeing that I was speaking to someone, the Service advisor visually dropped his body language. The Mahindra recomended
items now became optional. Then he suggested not to do it since the car is new. Was simply smiling back at him that you
were strongly recomending it a few seconds back. Told him about TC, Front diff. He said yes he knows, they have been in
business since long and has the right knowledge to do the job. He said they have handled many automatics!! Had to remind
him that Marengo was not an automatic but a 4WD. He did not seem convinced 4WD is different from Automatic. Then insisted
that I meet the mechanic that will do the job.

All this while, I really wished to drive out Marengo from there, but I did not have KM's to go, neither I had time before 3
months were over.

Mechanic comes in, he says, 4wd, they have handled many. I said fine, show me the bleeding point and that you have the
right tool for the job. He kept on saying they do as they have been in business since long and factory people always think
dealers dont have the right tools. He said, he has the procedure manual to look into, he has the tools. So I insisted on
seeing the procedure manual!!

He comes back with a service schedule, turns out that at 5k its only the front and rear axle, transmission and TC is at
10k. So asked him to show me the manual, if not hoist the car up and show me that their tool fits. That they have the right
allen key.

He asked me to wait around to get the vehicle on a lift. All this while the clock was ticking, was getting horribly late
for work.

Long wait later, the vehicle was hoisted, the allen key was brought and voila, it did not fit in. They tried couple of
other ones, none of them seemed to be of the right dimension. Some more precious minutes wasted and they informed me that
they will go to the market to buy the right key!! Will be here in the next 2 hours.

I had to leave at that point. Was successful atleast in letting them know that they dont know enough. Asked for the service
manual, they said they keep it during service and hand it over with the vehicle.

As I took a walk back to the point I could get a Cab, was reflecting about the contrast to Ford service. Those guys have
become friends now.

Came back to work and then I called up the regional sales person telling him the whole story. He sympathised and guided the
Mahindra service person to speak to me. Within late afternoon, I had the workshop service manager call me up. He was more
responsive and actually helped me get all the items that I was told as unavailable, including the alloy center cap. However
the service advisor also called informing me that the service is done, they had taken quite a bit of pain to get the fronT
differential oil in. He mentioned, lathe, machining, steering rack. On noting that I was becoming hyper, he said, saar all
machining/Lathe work was done on the tool, nothing on your car.

On Friday (Mar 4) took delivery and wanted to see the tool they procured for the front differential. Here it is!!! (A bolt cut in the shape of an allen key, welded to two rods)

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-03032011025.jpg

Trying to fit it to the filler, I couldn't. It would foul with the steering rack bolt.

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-03032011026.jpg

They politely informed that the steering rack housing had to be dismantled for
it.

Anyway, atleast the front diff seemeed to have a oil streak from the filler point, which confirmed that atleast the job was
done. Cleaned the diff there, and have observed for the last 2 days to see any signs of dripping, there isn't any.

Then as I was about to leave, asked for the service manual, the service advisor said that its in the car. Walked back to
the car and found it to be not there. Went back asked for it. The service advisor started looking for it. Could not find
it. Then started giving me a story that he had given it back to me on the day I brought it for service. I politely told him
that is not the case. He kept on debating. He asked me to take the vehicle home and check it at my place. He said he is
confident that he had given it back, that I can't recall the whole incident. He walked back to the car one last time,
opened the glove compartment, could not find anything but just as he was about to close it, the thing wouldn't close.
Realised that the manual had slid into the gap between the glove box and the dashboard inner. The guy was jubilant, saying
"see sir I told you that its in your car". I simply brought this to his notice that a few moments back, he was argueing
with me, that he had actually given it back to me and was hell bent on convincing me, that I have a memory problem. As if,
I cant recall something that obviously happened. The semi-service advisor too was echoeing his lines. All this and there
was not even a simple sorry from them.

Drove out. Service done, car in showroom condition, lot of debates, lot of points learnt, proven, a stronger man now!!

Will have to figure out which workshop will I take for the next service at 10k. Till then, hopefully Marengo gallops on.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2011, 02:52   #47
Senior - BHPian

I must say hats off to you to leave the car in care of such a bunch of fumbling and bumbling service people.
" He did not seem convinced 4WD is different from Automatic"!!

This forum is strewn with so many cases of poor after sales support and these days its not limited to just a few usual suspects like Skoda but almost everyone.The days of a trouble free ownership of a new car has gone,most owners dread what will happen wrong at my next service!
Old 7th March 2011, 07:34   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Will have to figure out which workshop will I take for the next service at 10k.
Phew ! What are your other workshops options?

I see the Mohan guys adjacent to the Maruti workshop.
Old 7th March 2011, 08:16   #49
Senior - BHPian

One of the reasons why my next car will be a Maruti is my relationship with the service guys there. Where is this Royal Motors?
Old 7th March 2011, 09:51   #50
BHPian

Thats strange, they don't have to dismantle the steering rack, its easier if you have right allen key, please make sure they have assembled it correctly, I knew it before I took my Scorpio 4x4 for first service, and its was easy. Nonetheless please do a final check your self, I had a very good relation with all the guys at service center still had to visit 2-3 times after each service.

-Pramod
Old 7th March 2011, 22:44   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
I must say hats off to you to leave the car in care of such a bunch of fumbling and bumbling service people.
" He did not seem convinced 4WD is different from Automatic"!!
Had to, did not have a choice, was already super duper late for office. Otherwise, would not have opted to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post

Yes, will try Mohan's but before that I will speak to Mahindra folks to ensure that 4WD knowledgeable machanic is available or is trained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
One of the reasons why my next car will be a Maruti is my relationship with the service guys there. Where is this Royal Motors?
Would have loved to go for a Maruti, but their 6 seat options were too limited, either undesirable or uncomfortable.

Infact have very good rapport with the Ford guys and was also getting a Endy cheap, but those guys advised me against it citing spare part prices and availability. Though, I have spoken to them after this experience and Draining filling front diff oil is cake walk for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramods View Post
Thats strange, they don't have to dismantle the steering rack, its easier if you have right allen key, please make sure they have assembled it correctly, I knew it before I took my Scorpio 4x4 for first service, and its was easy. Nonetheless please do a final check your self, I had a very good relation with all the guys at service center still had to visit 2-3 times after each service.

-Pramod
Its quite obvious that they did not have the right allen key, the "thing" they made, can be seen on my last post, was hardly a nut cut to dimensions, thats why it was fouling with the steering rack.

Visiting 2-3 times after each service is unacceptable, but seems that a quintessential Mahindra owner does not mind making his driver visit the betel/pan strewn workshops. Most of them are not bothered as long as their vehicles can carry people and can go from place A to B, how it does, immaterial!!
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2011, 23:13   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

My ASC didn't have the allen key ready the first time I had the oil changed, but there was one of those in their store. Proper one, not jugaad. No steering rack removal required.

I suppose these guys see a few more 4WD mHawks than the ASCs in Kolkata. Did you say yours is the only one there?
Old 8th March 2011, 08:40   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My ASC didn't have the allen key ready the first time I had the oil changed, but there was one of those in their store. Proper one, not jugaad. No steering rack removal required.

I suppose these guys see a few more 4WD mHawks than the ASCs in Kolkata. Did you say yours is the only one there?
mHawk 4wd it was the only one in Kolkata at the time I drove Marengo out of the showroom. But I guess there are other 4wd scorpios in Kolkata. The front differential and TC would be common across, I guess. Will try Mohan Motors next time.

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_24031.jpg
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 15:36   #54
BANNED

Quote:
mHawk 4wd it was the only one in Kolkata at the time I drove Marengo out of the showroom.
How is Marengo performing Anirban? No updates for a long time now.
Old 12th March 2012, 23:41   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
How is Marengo performing Anirban? No updates for a long time now.
Marengo has been going rather well, has covered 30000 kms. Apart from a couple of offroading misadventures involving the side steps, its more or less going great.

Only had to get the rear multilink bushes changed under warranty.

A couple of other buses also give away from time to time but minor on the pocket.

Have been using the service center mentioned by Shuvc below. They are quite better, and mostly know their job. But the act of constant supervision remains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post

Cost breakup wise

2nd service was done at 9662 kms costed me 625
3rd service was done at 14967 kms costed 0
4th Service was done at 19877 kms amounting to 6258 (involved oil change)
5th Service at 24514kms amounting to 6721 (involved change of front brake pads at a pricey Rs 4900 + labour + stabiliser bar bushes (rs 121x2)
6th Service (the most recent one) at 29759kms at Rs 2472 (axle oil change)

1st service as noted earlier was Rs 2336.

in all a total of rs 19762 (out of which with a more careful usage rs 5300 could have been postponed - due to the brake pads and the stabiliser bar, shocker bushes) spent over 30000 kms.

Some of those 30,000 kms involved this

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_36371.jpg

Last edited by 1100D : 12th March 2012 at 23:51.
1100D is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 08:30   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
..change of front brake pads...
That's quite an early change, considering I replaced mine at 52k km, that too with some material left, only because I didn't want to leave it till too late.
Old 13th March 2012, 13:51   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's quite an early change, considering I replaced mine at 52k km, that too with some material left, only because I didn't want to leave it till too late.

You could be a better driver! As for me, I am not complaining, my Ikons front pads last for around 15-18k and this is much higher than that, given that its also a heavier machine.

However, the pads in this case too had some life left.
1100D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 22:38   #58
Senior - BHPian

Time to update this thread with something meaningful

After quite a bit of time, Marengo got an addition to it.

MLD - Mechanical Locking Differential

Manufactured by Eaton, known as m-locker.

However, will let this video talk first, before getting into other details!!

Last edited by 1100D : 13th April 2012 at 22:40.
1100D is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 14th April 2012, 00:24   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Time to update this thread with something meaningful

After quite a bit of time, Marengo got an addition to it.

Manufactured by Eaton, known as m-locker.

However, will let this video talk first, before getting into other details!!

Congrats on the MLD and great video. Can I get one for my Bolero? Please share the cost involved and also the headaches if any. Even I got something installed in my Bolero today - a heater

Last edited by benbsb29 : 14th April 2012 at 06:05. Reason: Video embed link removed for benefit of mobile users.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 11:16   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
That's quite an early change, considering I replaced mine at 52k km, that too with some material left,
I too changed my front pads only at 56K kms with about 2K of life left on it.

Quote:
Absolutely awsome man. I am sure many Scorpio owners 2WD/4WD will be interested in this set up.

Please share the detail of where to buy/cost/installation etc...
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks