Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2012, 12:33   #61
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)
re: Marengo: Rocky Beige Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 55,555 kms up!

Hi 1100D

By open differential you mean without diff-locks engaged right? At the start of the video before 60secs are up, you climbed in 4wd mode quiet effortlessly in open-diff mode. then towards the end of the video on day2 you showed that even 4wd with open-diff would not have worked at the same spot?!

Also What is this reverse spin feature and how does it help?

Thanks
--Rahul
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 18:02   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Please share the detail of where to buy/cost/installation etc...
I too have received my MLD from the local M&M dealer at Blore and it cost me INR 23000.00 but since the dealer is currently shifting his workshop to a new location, I have not yet fitted it on Hariya, will do it sometime next month.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 18:52   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Congrats on the MLD and great video. Can I get one for my Bolero? Please share the cost involved and also the headaches if any. Even I got something installed in my Bolero today - a heater
Quote:
I too changed my front pads only at 56K kms with about 2K of life left on it.

Absolutely awsome man. I am sure many Scorpio owners 2WD/4WD will be interested in this set up.

Please share the detail of where to buy/cost/installation etc...
I was going to post the pictures, but then realised that I have a camera malfunction from a drop at out last t-bhp meet. Video's are coming fine but the stills are getting Out-of-focus bigtime on the left side.

However, as a backup, (since I anticipated this issue) I had also captured pics on my mobile. But that very mobile is not with me now. Will get it in a day or two.

The cost of the MLD was 20792. The differential cover gasket was also replaced.

However there is a difference in the bolts that hold the crown pate to the diff assembly. The stock ones on Marengo was found to be around 4mm longer, as the on the stock open differential the crown plate is attached to not only the flange, but also the side cover for the housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Hi 1100D

By open differential you mean without diff-locks engaged right? At the start of the video before 60secs are up, you climbed in 4wd mode quiet effortlessly in open-diff mode. then towards the end of the video on day2 you showed that even 4wd with open-diff would not have worked at the same spot?!

Also What is this reverse spin feature and how does it help?

Thanks
--Rahul
Open-differential is the standard mode, when, if a wheel starts spinning, all the power from the drive train will go to it, without transferring it to the other wheel.

Between Day 2 and Day 1, there was quite a bit of heavy rain in Calcutta. So on Day 2 the condition was much more slushy. Not very walkable even.

Marengo wasn't climbing in 4WD till the diff locks engaged themselves.

About reversing, it was not necessary. As long as, you get to spin one side wheel at a 100 rpm more than the other one, its fine. However, I chose to do it in reverse, because, if I did it in first, I would be spinning the wheels at the very point I would need most traction, and in the process might be digging myself in at that spot itself. Infact in 4wd mode, even the front left was spinning (not visible from the video). Even that wheel was shovelling the soil.

So I even got out of 4WD, reversed, spun wheel to engage the lock, engaged 4WD again (wasn't necessary though) and went up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I too have received my MLD from the local M&M dealer at Blore and it cost me INR 23000.00 but since the dealer is currently shifting his workshop to a new location, I have not yet fitted it on Hariya, will do it sometime next month.
Was just about to PM you, however was holding myself back, as I wanted Marengo to cover more KM's onroad and verify if there is any other drawbacks.

However, the video has been made in lines of the discussion we had the other day. That MLD does add to the capability of a standard 2WD as well and you can see that. But I also saw many posts from experts who actually said that its not worth on a 2WD, was surprised. MLD alone will save me when we visit our farmlands in monsoon.

Last year, once I was a sitting duck when both my right wheels were sunk in the soil with the left ones having good enough grip. 4WD did nothing to it. MLD will, even if its in 2WD mode.
1100D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 19:24   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Marengo- Rocky Beige Scorpio mHawk 4WD- Only one in India till now (Updated with

Just another clarification. I noticed that yo have to spin the wheel in reverse to engage the MLD. How does it disengage? Do you notice it when driving on Tarmac in regular 2WD mode?
Old 15th April 2012, 19:53   #65
Senior - BHPian

Re: Marengo- Rocky Beige Scorpio mHawk 4WD- Only one in India till now (Updated with

Quote:
Just another clarification. I noticed that yo have to spin the wheel in reverse to engage the MLD. How does it disengage? Do you notice it when driving on Tarmac in regular 2WD mode?
No, you just have to spin the slipping wheel in any direction (forward or reverse) such that the difference in rpm between the wheels is about 100. I chose to do the spinning in reverse, as doing it in forward, would have spun the wheel at the very point I needed most traction. So chose to do it at a different location, besides, spinning in reverse would have deposited some soil on the track ahead.

MLD disengages once you reach around 25-30kmph. Infact initially I was drifting on the soil, but as the speed built up, I was fine.

However, I would like to have control (as in a switch) over how to engage/disengage my diffs.

Eaton also has a e-locker, but they are yet to go out to market in India. I am told they eventually will.

However, being OEM from Mahindra, I got this done at the Mahindra workshop itself.

An useful video that show how this thing works

Last edited by 1100D : 15th April 2012 at 20:13.
1100D is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 20:38   #66
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking LSD for my Gypsy but you changed my mind. Any difference in daily driveability once MLD is installed?

-Rahul
Old 15th April 2012, 20:52   #67
BHPian

Forgive me, I am a total noob regarding 4x4. Can we install this MLD on the XUV
Old 15th April 2012, 21:47   #68
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
From the explanation, it looks like when you go in reverse to autolock the diff, and then go forward, it will unlock and then relock. Is that correct?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 15th April 2012, 22:43   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking LSD for my Gypsy but you changed my mind. Any difference in daily driveability once MLD is installed?

-Rahul
I am sure there are pros and cons of either.

As a positive thing, this MLD thing is a hard lock of right and left wheels, as against a clutching action of a Limited slip diff.

The negative thing is, it stays like that till it releases itself at around 25kmph. Although knowing this, one can just do it to unlock, but then, its a process and also subject to ability of doing it.

On the other hand a Limited slip would be back to original state the moment the relative slip will be over.

I am also quite new to this. Learning on the go.

I was mostly worried about the effect this would have on tarmac and in the last few days have done quite a bit of testing on the real road, many of it involving high speed. So far nothing has changed. But then, knowing how mechanical stuff goes, I might be commenting too soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Forgive me, I am a total noob regarding 4x4. Can we install this MLD on the XUV
Not sure, XUV is more like a monocoque front wheel driven car, rather than a being based on an old jeep platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
From the explanation, it looks like when you go in reverse to autolock the diff, and then go forward, it will unlock and then relock. Is that correct?

Regards
Sutripta
The diff locks up when there is a 100rpm difference between the right and left wheels, a cam arrangement, a reaction block, a ramping plate all of these add up to create the lock. The lock releases once you reach around 25-30 kmph (not sure about the exact speed though).
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 23:28   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
However, I would like to have control (as in a switch) over how to engage/disengage my diffs.
E-Lockers are available for the Scorpio and they cost around 70K per diff. Let me know if you are interested and I will send you the details accordingly. My MLD had arrived prior to the E-Locker quote and hence I will now live with the MLD as long it works fine.
Old 15th April 2012, 23:49   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
E-Lockers are available for the Scorpio and they cost around 70K per diff. Let me know if you are interested and I will send you the details accordingly. My MLD had arrived prior to the E-Locker quote and hence I will now live with the MLD as long it works fine.
I will move to e-locker once the warranty period for Marengo is up.

You got the e-locker quote from Mahindra itself? Are they offering the e-locker as well on the export models?
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 10:48   #72
Senior - BHPian

Interesting to see that Mahindra is offering MLD's through dealerships. Do they give it to everyone, or did you manage to source it through contacts ?
Old 16th April 2012, 12:37   #73
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
You got the e-locker quote from Mahindra itself? Are they offering the e-locker as well on the export models?
Nope, the quote was from a Eaton associated Co, I forget the name now but a very reliable and known Co.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Interesting to see that Mahindra is offering MLD's through dealerships. Do they give it to everyone, or did you manage to source it through contacts ?
I was able to source it through contacts but I see no reason why they should not/will not offer it to everyone. Let me know if you want one and I can order it for you and ship it.
Old 16th April 2012, 13:15   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nope, the quote was from a Eaton associated Co, I forget the name now but a very reliable and known Co.

I was able to source it through contacts but I see no reason why they should not/will not offer it to everyone. Let me know if you want one and I can order it for you and ship it.
Is it available for the Bolero?
Old 16th April 2012, 13:19   #75
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Is it available for the Bolero?
Should be but will need the Bolero diff specifications to confirm. The axle ratio, the number of splines etc. There are people on the forum like Spike Arrestor who can confirm its availability.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed