Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2013, 18:37   #136
BHPian

Re: Marengo- Rocky Beige Scorpio mHawk 4WD- Only one in India till now (Updated with

Thank you 1100D. Looks like you're going to get another set of Geolanders only. And why don't you give a thought about Bilstein offroad heavy duty shocks like RedMM340 had on his blue MM 540. Would be good offroad with better onroad performance as compared to stock shocks. Atleast from reading his thread and looking at their performances I feel so. Don't have a realworld experience regarding it. But you can give a thought to it either ways. Won't be much money down your pocket for thinking atleast.
Old 14th February 2013, 23:05   #137
Senior - BHPian

Re: Marengo- Rocky Beige Scorpio mHawk 4WD- Only one in India till now (Updated with

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho9000 View Post
Looks like you're going to get another set of Geolanders only.
You bet!

Here is the Update today. Took to the rocks straight away.

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_06992.jpg

A closer Look.

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_07242.jpg
1100D is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 00:51   #138
Team-BHP Support

Where did you get the Maxxis 771 and whats the price? My car came shod with 751.
Old 15th February 2013, 13:07   #139
BHPian

I just thought for a second then looked closely and Man!!! you've got some mean shoes on your Marengo. Hope Marengo is happy and gleeful with those stylish new shoes with white highlighting. Looking meaner and tougher than ever. How is the ride handling and offcourse the offroading capacity of the new shoes?? Looks like they can handle much more tougher terrain than what those Geolanders would be able to do. Long term reliability is something BlackPearl can comment since he has those tyres just different variant. By the way these are 255mm right or 235mm?? From what I can infer from seeing these pics is that they're 255mm ones. So in theory you're better cushioned against those nasty bumps of Kolkata roads.
Old 20th February 2013, 23:50   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope Marengo is happy and gleeful with those stylish new shoes with white highlighting. Looking meaner and tougher than ever. How is the ride handling and offcourse the offroading capacity of the new shoes?? Looks like they can handle much more tougher terrain than what those Geolanders would be able to do.

Having used the 771 AT's for a few days, would reserve my feedback till I have driven more.

As such, as I said, apart from the weak sidewall issue, I was actually quite happy with the Geolandars. The cushioning, the progressive feel with those tyres, as the rear wheel lost lateral traction on a corner being taken at speed, was actually quite intoxicating. That "feel" could not have been generated unless it was engineered into the tyre, its compound, its treat pattern and its layers.

Just that on open fields, had to watch out for those short stumps, jutting and pointed rocks.

SS-Traveller had once demonstrated to me how the sidewall on the Geolandar gets pinched on a pavement climb. Yes the first thing I checked on the 771, was to check how does it hold up climbing midway into a pavement and found it to be stronger than the geolandar with lower sidewall flex.

But having said that, my Geolandars flew me over 53000 kms in comfort and fun. Some of those kilometers were spent doing this!!

(Photograph courtesy Suprabhat Banerjee)

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-_mg_68301.jpg

So hats off to the Geolandars, but the sun has set behind them for me, will surely miss them.

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-110220125381.jpg

Quote:
Long term reliability is something BlackPearl can comment since he has those tyres just different variant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Where did you get the Maxxis 771 and whats the price? My car came shod with 751.
I believe MA-751 and AT-771's are two different beasts, may not be as different as chalk and cheese though. AT-771 being trail focussed and supposed to have a tougher sidewall. Only time will tell, how much of that is true.

Quote:
From what I can infer from seeing these pics is that they're 255mm ones. So in theory you're better cushioned against those nasty bumps of Kolkata roads.
Yes they are 255, but the sidewall height remaining same, there is no additional cushioning.

The 771's costed me Rs8500 per tyre but not before a small controversy with Minku of Indo Radial regarding the price.

I remember his quote to me being lesser, although he claimed otherwise at the time of final payment after the tyres were installed. According to him, I must have heard it wrong. However never had this sort of an experience in all the decades we had dealt with them (or for that matter any others we had). Besides, my confidence stemmed from the fact that regarding quotations, I repeat the quote to clarify. To top that, I had a second discussion on the price with him on another occasion. Anyway, will take this as a one-off case.

However for people going to Indo Radial club for wheel alignment and Balancing, its advisable that they should supervise the job (including wheelnut removal and tightening) themselves.
1100D is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 02:58   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Long term reliability is something BlackPearl can comment since he has those tyres just different variant.
Mine are currently 35K kms old and I dont think they are going to last till 50K. For the type of terrains the Bolero visits, I believe they are good for another 5K kms. Till date I am quite happy with the 751s, they are tough tires. But I have no experience with other tires, so cannot comment on relative performance.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2013, 20:45   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Having used the 771 AT's for a few days, would reserve my feedback till I have driven more.
Yes they're not as different as chalk and cheese but are a bit different and have searched around a bit and have found out that Maxxis tyres are pretty good too. Will look forward to your experience with these set of tyres.

But as per BlackPearl's experience they're decent performer and with the kind of terrain you both do any tyre is bound to go through extreme wear and tear. But still these AT-771 look like they can if handled reasonably decently will last atleast as much as the Geolanders did. The profile is low I assume hence no extra cushioning compared to Geolanders. However do run-in the tyres and then burn out the tarmac and offroad trails in your unbeatable Marengo. Wish to see Marengo with his new shoes in the upcoming OTR in Pandua. How is the steering feel as compared to the Yokos. And the experience with Indo Radial Club was really shocking. He is known for his professionality and commitments on prices and quotes. The way he messed up the prices from what he said to what you paid wasn't expected. But I too am really hoping that it is indeed a one-off case and the quality with Indo Radial Club remains high. See you around very soon.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd February 2013 at 13:40. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
Old 21st February 2013, 23:16   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mine are currently 35K kms old and I dont think they are going to last till 50K. For the type of terrains the Bolero visits, I believe they are good for another 5K kms. Till date I am quite happy with the 751s, they are tough tires. But I have no experience with other tires, so cannot comment on relative performance.
40k total life, doesn't look too promising or encouraging. Examples of original "Bridgestone Dueller H/T's" having gone beyond 75k on all sorts of terrain (and still going strong) can be found on this forum. Now given that the vehicle in question is not known to be an eager performer and that, most of its acquired kilometers, has been on ultra long drives, the tires should have held up longer.

Am hoping that the 771's would have a longer life. Right now, my only hope is that the 771 is being publicised, portrayed as a "tyre to have" by the company, Some sort of a company flagship. Infact you see the 771 shod Toyota FJ on the banner even if one selects the 751! So for the 771 non-deliverance is not an option!!

See these! (Its the same Orange FJ though!!)

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-maxxis_ocotillo_shoot_mad_media_07.jpg

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-untitled.jpg

Quote:
How is the steering feel as compared to the Yokos.
Its still someway to go before the tyres bed-in. But as of now, I am not too happy with the feel. Although grip is definitely higher, not sure if that is a result of a better tyre or wider rubber.

Anyway one little feedback on the tyres, in the way it has helped Marengo, is reduced suspension sway. Its quite apparent, probably the stiffer sidewall acts as a better damper.

Coming to an issue, being faced for the last 2 days.

Its a sequence of events that sometimes takes place in this order :-

1> The headlight intensity, Horn frequency or Blower speed suddenly increases
2> The vehicle becomes a bit sluggish
3> Check Engine Light comes on
4> Everything gets back to normal

This cycle lasts for about 10-15 secs and has occured 5 times, thrice yesterday and twice today.

Going by point 1 above, probably leads to a bad alternator voltage regulator. Increased voltage probably messing up the ECU signals and hence the CEL condition (3 above). But the sluggishness is a little difficult to explain.

The sluggishness seems like the turbo has failed to spool up. As mostly this happens on the lower rev range, (or just coincidence) and the turbo kick which is expected at around 1700 rpm, just doesn't happen. But anything wrong with the turbo, will have no effect on the electricals.

Probably should not be looking at turbo at all, as maybe the CEL condition limits the fuel and so the combustion being sub-optimal resulting in lower back pressure than normal at the corresponding rpm. Lower back pressure means that the turbo does not spool up at the usual rpm, but at a higher rpm.

Will take it to the workshop tomorrow if time permits. But before they start cluelessly replacing things, would like to see if I get lucky with some thoughts on the issue.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 07:34   #144
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now given that the vehicle in question is not known to be an eager performer and that, most of its acquired kilometers, has been on ultra long drives, the tires should have held up longer.
The Bolero has traveled thousands of kilometers on very harsh terrains though I agree that it has not seen much of weekend off-roadings like the scorp. Under such conditions I think 40K is quite decent. Without knowing about the places the Bolero has been to, I would have been more cautious while commenting on the performance of the vehicle and the tires .

Last edited by BlackPearl : 22nd February 2013 at 07:44.
Old 22nd February 2013, 08:13   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Bolero has traveled thousands of kilometers on very harsh terrains though I agree that it has not seen much of weekend off-roadings like the scorp. Under such conditions I think 40K is quite decent. Without knowing about the places the Bolero has been to, I would have been more cautious while commenting on the performance of the vehicle and the tires .
Well, this thread belongs to Marengo and how its ownership fares out. I spent 35k on this brand of tyres and have the right to be anxious. Because,not only that money comes easy, am also responsible for how I spend it. Why do one needs to be cautious? What's the risk of stating the apprehension?

Moreover no one can force someone from not forming opinions, some of which comes from knowledge, some of which from the horse's mouth itself. Besides, have the ability to do an apples to apples comparison with another vehicle (another scorpio 4x4) which does not restrict itself from venturing into the unknown yet the tyres managed to hold on. 40k stops way too short of being decent.

Last edited by 1100D : 22nd February 2013 at 08:15.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:47   #146
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, this thread belongs to Marengo and how its ownership fares out. I spent 35k on this brand of tyres and have the right to be anxious. Because,not only that money comes easy, am also responsible for how I spend it. Why do one needs to be cautious? What's the risk of stating the apprehension?

Moreover no one can force someone from not forming opinions, some of which comes from knowledge, some of which from the horse's mouth itself. Besides, have the ability to do an apples to apples comparison with another vehicle (another scorpio 4x4) which does not restrict itself from venturing into the unknown yet the tyres managed to hold on. 40k stops way too short of being decent.
From the post it seemed more like a misconception than opinion and I was just trying to clear that. This thread still belongs to your scorpio. There is no need to be so touchy about everything :-) I am out of here. Happy driving.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:08   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From the post it seemed more like a misconception than opinion and I was just trying to clear that. This thread still belongs to your scorpio. There is no need to be so touchy about everything :-) I am out of here. Happy driving.
It may have only seemed so, but dont worry, thats not the case, know exactly what to derive and deduce.

No ones getting touchy here, intend to be as objective as possible.

Enjoy your driving as well!
1100D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 15:48   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...an issue, being faced for the last 2 days.
Its a sequence of events that sometimes takes place in this order :-
1> The headlight intensity, Horn frequency or Blower speed suddenly increases
2> The vehicle becomes a bit sluggish
3> Check Engine Light comes on
4> Everything gets back to normal
This cycle lasts for about 10-15 secs and has occured 5 times, thrice yesterday and twice today.
1> indicates a voltage surge.
2 & 3> related to ECU throwing up an error and trying to go into limp-home mode
4> restoration of normal functions (once voltage comes back to normal?)

- CEL coming on = ECU will save an error code. Scan & find out what. Will be done FOC since your car is under warranty.
- If possible, have the alternator output voltage checked when the surge happens. Maybe get a good voltmeter temporarily installed onboard for a day or two.
- Check and tighten all connections (battery, alternator, fuse boxes, ECU connector etc.
- Did you have any electrowelding done on the car in the past? Were the alternator & battery isolated out then?
Old 22nd February 2013, 17:25   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
1> indicates a voltage surge.
2 & 3> related to ECU throwing up an error and trying to go into limp-home mode
4> restoration of normal functions (once voltage comes back to normal?)

- CEL coming on = ECU will save an error code. Scan & find out what. Will be done FOC since your car is under warranty.
- If possible, have the alternator output voltage checked when the surge happens. Maybe get a good voltmeter temporarily installed onboard for a day or two.
- Check and tighten all connections (battery, alternator, fuse boxes, ECU connector etc.
- Did you have any electrowelding done on the car in the past? Were the alternator & battery isolated out then?
I took the car, unfortunately today the entrypoint to the workshop is dug- up at both ends. So the vehicle could not make it to the workshop.

Initially there was a helplessness shown, that they cant get the scanner outside, interestingly they did not have the portable OBD handy.

What they agreed to however is that the fault is most likely the voltage regulator. Hence they have replaced the alternator on Marengo with a replacement one, throwing a healthy 14.29 volts at full load idling.

They will send the alternator to Lucas for repairs/replacement. Will swap the alternators again after they receive the repaired/replaced alternator in the next few days.

I had a CEL occurance once prior to taking Marengo to work today before the replacement (for around 10 secs).

But have driven around 35 kms from the replacement, so far so good.

Lets see how it shapes up.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2013, 20:06   #150
Senior - BHPian

Post Driving for around 200 more kilometers and over three days on the "alternate" alternator, the problem looks resolved.

However Marengo had undergone a little change a couple of weeks back.

The exhaust pipe end on the refresh'd mHawk scorpio's were bent downwards. Refer below

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_24995.jpg

As it turned out on the last OTR, that it was a setback. After judging an incline as I was reversing down, heard a crashing sound and the vehicle kind of hopped once. The sound of the exhaust also changed. When I got down to inspect, found that the exhaust end had ploughed into the ground while reversing from the incline, the pipe bent downward, snapping the suspender, and then further lifting the vehicle and buckling inwards (towards the forward direction).

Driving forward a bit, there was another Hop as the pipe bent backwards again. Then with the help of the wheel-spanner was able to bring the exhaust back to more or less its original orientation, secured with a cloth. But it was fractured and hence needed replacement.

On the way back, noticed a pre-refresh m-Hawk scorpio having a straight end-pipe. So got the straight end pipe installed at the workshop.

But, as the weeks flew by, realised why the refreshed scorpio's have a bent end pipe. To protect its rear bumper. The straight end pipe on Marengo is actually venting out the hot exhaust grazing the rear bumper, causing it to slowly melt at the point.

I can either go back to refresh end-pipe. Or I can use a extended muffler cutter (exhaust tip). But a chromed exhaust tip will not go with Marengo's looks, unless I lay my hands on a black-chromed one.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks