Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2015, 12:07   #211
BHPian

Re: Marengo: Rocky Beige Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 55,555 kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Congrats on the MLD and great video. Can I get one for my Bolero? Please share the cost involved and also the headaches if any. Even I got something installed in my Bolero today - a heater
I have a 2015 S10 4WD scorpio but the differential on that one is different. My mechanic says I cannot fir the eaton MLD on the new Scorpio.
Pls advise
Old 14th June 2016, 10:41   #212
Team-BHP Support

Re: Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!

How is Marengo doing? I am sure it is over 1,50,000 kms. Services/part replacements? Running on Michelins or they wore out?

TIA
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 00:41   #213
Senior - BHPian

Re: Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
How is Marengo doing? I am sure it is over 1,50,000 kms. Services/part replacements? Running on Michelins or they wore out?

TIA

TIA (Thanks in Anticipation) - That is quite analogous with the typical higher ups in organisations asking politely to initiate action against a request!!

Have no other choice, but to comply!!

So here goes the response.

Marengo is now at around 144.5k. The complete service/part replacement detail is in-line with this post.

Marengo is still running on the Michelins (for Approximately the past 47k) and somehow, they haven't yet earned their first puncture. Though on that part, its purely luck, because my daily drive is usually littered with nails from the various Puja Pandal's, construction shuttering work etc (either they have become more conscious or I have been actually taking care).

Tyre aging is quite consistent, with uniform wear. They performed quite optimally at the recently concluded OTR at Jharkhand/Messanjore, on red soil and some slushy inclines. Highway performance is great (for the mileage) both on wet as well as dry. It is to be noted that the other tyres Marengo has had till now, were all at the trailing end of their life by this milestone. None of the other sets have been subjected to the variety of terrain that these LTX AT2's have sailed through. Yes, some noise have crept in, thats normal, can live with it. However, no steering vibrations even at the upper reaches of the speedometer on this vehicle.

Now coming to the Expense items since the last update at 106800kms

Have put down the expense opportunites alongwith the main items of interest at each such encounter.

25-Apr-15 111053kms Rs 49369.91

Main items
Lower ARM LH – Rs6260
CV Joint – Rs 38601

(It must be noted that on one of the earlier posts, I did mention about Marengo having lost power to its front end, the result of which it was needing momentum to conquer the inclines, hence the "airborne" pic from Samba)

25-Jun-15 120524kms Rs 29079.45

Main items
120k service
Ball Joint Assembly Upper ARM (pair) Rs. 1,442.
Lower Ball Joint (pair) Rs. 1,442.
Bushing Upper Arm (set) Rs. 884.
Bush Lower Arm (pair) Rs. 682.
Front Shock Absorber Rs. 1,572.
Link Stabiliser Bar RH Rs. 639.
Link Stabiliser Bar LH Rs. 737.
Needle Roller Bearing Assembly front Rs. 506.
Outer Balljoint (pair) Rs. 1,578.

20-Jul-15 121582kms Rs 16418

Main items
Alternator – Rs16673
(Alternator charge malfunction indicator in the instrument panel)

14-Oct-15 125521kms Rs 1660.77

Main items
General 125k check
Particle Filter HVAC Compact 471.43 Rs. 495.00
Fog lamp bulb 540.95 Rs. 568.00

07-Mar-16 135822kms Rs 13976.8

Main items
Vacuum Modulator EGR Rs. 1,977.
KIT Pads BIL Rs. 4,115.
Parking Brake Cable W ABS (Pink Cover) Rs. 506.
Relay Wiring Kit Rs. 1,200.

(Check engine light in instrument panel)

17-May-16 137782kms Rs 16048.89

Main items
Reg Elect Front Door LH Rs. 3,060.
Motor Windshield washer RR Rs. 608.
Sensor Wheel Speed Front (Pair) Rs. 3,988.
Battery Rs. 6,305.00

(ABS malfunction indicator in Instrument panel)

15-Jul-16 143086kms Rs 20438.12

Main items
140K Service
Bush upper link chassis (4) Rs. 1,416
Bush lower link axle Rs. 1,552
intermediate shaft assembly RHD Rs. 3,667

(A little directional levitation from the vehicle overall)

So the total maintenance expenses from the start of this post is Rs 146992.

Adding to the previous total of Rs 119252, the total maintenance expenses till date stands at Rs 266243. Cost per Km at Rs 1.86 per km.

However, please note, this represents extreme usage and the fact that the vehicle is out of warranty now. Has seen many trips to places with Gruelling roads and countless OTR's.

So concluding this post with some pictures of the intervening period. This thread wasn't too active, but no lack of action either from the Protagonist of this thread!

Marengo at Spiti

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_24311.jpg

River Bedding at Chitkul

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_24952.jpg

Chilly, Pir-Ki-Gali, on the Mughal Road

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_37361.jpg

Basking in the Moonlight, with the Mt Kanchenjungha in the Background

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_50471.jpg

Some pics from the OTR'S (All conducted by the legendary UBS Sir's "Kolkata Offroaders" group)

The "Table-top" shot by the famous bhp-ian Samba

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-12719359_1010724782332748_6142520249644223989_o.jpg

Yes the front axles work! Pic courtesy a friend "Suprabhat Bandyopadhyay"

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-10556891_10205497869465756_661590385598577682_o.jpg

The oblique descent right after "Table top", Pic courtesy another friend "Debasish Bose" of "Kolkata on Wheels" Magazine.

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-12829514_arengo.jpg

Marengo after a recently concluded Messanjore OTR with slushy inclines on Red soil

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_8382.jpg

The Journey continues!!
1100D is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2016, 09:20   #214
Team-BHP Support

Wow! That is some update with just the right pictures to boot. Pleased to know about Michelins.

That vacuum modulator EGR fails on each and every Scorpio. I am unsure as to what Mahindra is doing with this particular vendor.

Please do keep updating here, I *do* look forward to Marengo's updates
Old 2nd August 2016, 14:22   #215
Senior - BHPian

I 've been a silent visitor in this thread for quite some time, following all the spectacular journeys you have completed in your trusted steed and also the OTR experiences by utilizing the vehicle to its best possible tolerable limits. I must say, yours and SS-T's ownership experiences are the most exhaustive accounts of living with the Scorpio, giving a very clear picture about the pros and cons. Amazing feet of reaching such milestone and also for meticulously maintaining the account for the incurred costs.

Two questions: With the kind of detailed regular checks and replacements of parts for any recurring or potential issues you have been maintaining, how long (in terms of further kms) you feel Marengo can continue to be your trusted road companion? Also do you feel the NG Scorpio requires a slightly lesser vigilance in terms of similar issues because of up-gradation in certain departments?
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 00:41   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow! That is some update with just the right pictures to boot. Pleased to know about Michelins.

That vacuum modulator EGR fails on each and every Scorpio. I am unsure as to what Mahindra is doing with this particular vendor.

Please do keep updating here, I *do* look forward to Marengo's updates
Funny thing is, you are connected to me quite well on social networking platforms!!

Anyways, about the Vacuum Modulator, a need for replacement after 5+ years and 136k, I am not reading too much into it. Yes, Vacuum leaks/modulator failures do happen on other vehicles as well and can be caused by multiple things including a pinched vacuum hose and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
I 've been a silent visitor in this thread for quite some time, following all the spectacular journeys you have completed in your trusted steed and also the OTR experiences by utilizing the vehicle to its best possible tolerable limits. I must say, yours and SS-T's ownership experiences are the most exhaustive accounts of living with the Scorpio, giving a very clear picture about the pros and cons. Amazing feet of reaching such milestone and also for meticulously maintaining the account for the incurred costs.

Two questions: With the kind of detailed regular checks and replacements of parts for any recurring or potential issues you have been maintaining, how long (in terms of further kms) you feel Marengo can continue to be your trusted road companion? Also do you feel the NG Scorpio requires a slightly lesser vigilance in terms of similar issues because of up-gradation in certain departments?
Thanks for keeping a watch, however, will request not to be a silent visitor. Debates/arguments makes us grow each day.

Interesting points you make.

1> At almost 145k, the base vehicle is still very strong and powerful. Infact hasn't lost any of its fizz. I somehow feel, this vehicle has actually settled down with respect to parts that needed replacements over time. The glitches are electronic and mostly on the peripherals.

Also the vehicle has actually been serving quite faithfully without need for unscheduled pitstops (barring one or two incidents). We recently concluded a West-East trip through Bhutan with absolutely horrible roads (Although I was forewarned that the roads in East Bhutan are worse than Zojila) with ankle-to-knee deep slush at some points (since it was the advent of monsoons). To top it all, we needed to spend one night in Marengo as a double Landslide blocked us both from front and rear (within 50 meters of each other). Yet each day Marengo would start up half crank and go about its duties effortlessly.

Infact our trip to Ladakh happened with 85k on the Odo, Spiti/Kaza/Kunzum with 110k+

So I guess I will have to look for signs of engine degradation/emissions readings to identify the point from which the real aging will start. Right now, I think we are well covered for the next 50k.

Yes, but thanks for bringing this up, because there has to be residual life in the vehicle for the next owner to be interested (if at all I get myself to sell this, as I have a great deal of mind issues letting go of any of our cars)

2> With respect to the New Generation Scorpio, you are right. Its a definite improvement on many counts (Its a vehicle borne out of the learning cycle of our own indegenious automotive industry).

The repeat problems that I do see on Marengo are with
A> the Bushes at the rear end, be it the stabilizer bar ones or the Link Rod ones. Mostly aggravated by using the vehicle Offroad too frequently. Infact even Prior to the new generation Scorpio, there was an intermittent period, when the scorpio had the rear suspension based on the Xylo, those dont have this issue.

However, Marengo benefits from better suspension travel and more contact with the ground at articulation scenarios. In many cases it does not need 4wd to be engaged (maybe the MLD also helps).

B> The scary slave cylinder issue -though I have been observing (touchwood) that the clutch has been keeping fine for the past 50k almost. However on the New Generation car, the Gearbox is from Xylo.

C> The Electronics, mainly the power window motors - they would continue to be same quality on the newer vehicle. The single most irritating thing, considering that my 11year old Ikon hasn't has a single internal light bulb fuse over time.

D> The central locking system continues to have a mind of its own.

E> The onroad drive experience of the new-generation vehicle is quite superior.

Last edited by 1100D : 3rd August 2016 at 00:44.
1100D is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 19:46   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Funny thing is, you are connected to me quite well on social networking platforms!!
But none of the social media platforms provided the kind of information I wanted. Save for beautiful pictures and destination names.

Your detailed post made me Google few part images and helped me understand few aspects better. And this is why I did thank you in advance
Quote:
Yes, Vacuum leaks/modulator failures do happen on other vehicles as well and can be caused by multiple things including a pinched vacuum hose and the like.
After your advise I did change the hose and that sound appears to have gone for now.

It is heartening to know that there absolutely have been no issues with any engine components and it continues to run w/o skipping a beat. Yet to see a more refined engine in a SUV in 30L price bracket.
Old 27th September 2016, 12:29   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1536984

The Journey continues!!
Took me a while there to realize it. Marengo's rear end somehow looked different.

Any specific reason for swapping the lights?
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 13:56   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Took me a while there to realize it. Marengo's rear end somehow looked different.

Any specific reason for swapping the lights?

Nothing, just for the aesthetics. Never liked those Red top covers in the first place. Once that was done, changed the tail lights even for that Altezza look.
1100D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 09:22   #220
Team-BHP Support

Re: Marengo- Rocky Beige Scorpio mHawk 4WD- Only one in India till now (Updated with

Quote:
Having used the 771 AT's for a few days, would reserve my feedback till I have driven more.
Quoting a pretty old post of yours. Like the Michelin with which you were pretty impressed which was a Canadian make [IIRC], is there something similar for the Bravo 771's as well?

Almost all the users have given this a postive review, so I am seriously considering this. The Scorpion ATR isn't available in newer batches and the tire dealer from whom I buy [who has all tires] suggests to go for Maxxis.

He told me, I know you are going to buy 4 tires from me and I will get a sale, be it the Scorpion ATR's or the Bravo 771, but I would be more confident to pitch the Bravo 771 in AT configuration
Old 4th February 2017, 15:18   #221
Senior - BHPian

Re: Marengo- Rocky Beige Scorpio mHawk 4WD- Only one in India till now (Updated with

Quote:
Quoting a pretty old post of yours. Like the Michelin with which you were pretty impressed which was a Canadian make [IIRC], is there something similar for the Bravo 771's as well?

Almost all the users have given this a postive review, so I am seriously considering this. The Scorpion ATR isn't available in newer batches and the tire dealer from whom I buy [who has all tires] suggests to go for Maxxis.

He told me, I know you are going to buy 4 tires from me and I will get a sale, be it the Scorpion ATR's or the Bravo 771, but I would be more confident to pitch the Bravo 771 in AT configuration
Go Right ahead, they are very good tyres.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 22:45   #222
Senior - BHPian

Because I like Round Fog lamps

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_18142.jpg

Updating this space after a gap, Marengo is now at 167k.
1100D is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 22:57   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Updating this space after a gap, Marengo is now at 167k.
Looks wonderful! And purposeful. Custom built?

Next target 200k?
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2017, 12:05   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, and the OE fog lamps are of poor design, allowing water to seep in every time one passes through a puddle. I've gone through 2 sets already, and need a third set - was exploring other options than the OE lamps, but without replacing the bumper. Thanks for this thought.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 23:01   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Looks wonderful! And purposeful. Custom built?

Next target 200k?
Thanks, its an OEM Bumper adapted to fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Yes, and the OE fog lamps are of poor design, allowing water to seep in every time one passes through a puddle. I've gone through 2 sets already, and need a third set - was exploring other options than the OE lamps, but without replacing the bumper. Thanks for this thought.
Although the main motivation to change the Fog lamps actually came from a separate intent to change the front bumper.

The front Bumper of Marengo was notorious for taking small hits at our OTR's, although, it could mostly be hand-pulled back into shape. This time, the internal frame had become too fragile due to corrosion. So anyway needed to change it at some point (right now only repaired with the vertical member replaced - and the whole original Bumper sitting off the vehicle)

This Bumper is from another vehicle, adapted to fit Marengo. But before going into the good bits, if at all, listing out a few negatives that I myself see at this point.

1> The infamous Scorpio water splash issue. The problem is not merely aggravated! The whole reason that the first generation Scorpio underwent a chin-job was this, although that Bumper looked fabulous in my eyes.

2> This bumper is metallic, it doesn't flex. So in the eventuality of a frontal hit exceeding a certain magnitude, not only the bumper will retain the signs of damage, but the fog lamp alignment will go for a toss too.

3> I had the option of backward retrofitment of the flexible Fibre Bumper from the earlier generation scorpio, alongwith its usual fog lamps. However, that would have been kind of plug and play, hardly any fun. Whereas, getting this Bumper to adapt and then integrate fog lamps into it, there was a challenge which was kind of entertaining for a few days.

That being said, this thing won't be on Marengo for long, will revert back to stock soon.

However, with respect to bringing this thread to current scenario.

On Marengo's Birthday last year 2nd December, he was gifted Continental Cross Contact AT tyres

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-15283925_10154715904486838_7531745613202816436_n.jpg

While the Tyres do look purposefully good

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_98871.jpg

Am not happy with the change, especially coming from the fabulous Canada made Michelin LTX AT2's.

Infact, I was sceptical right from the Night 1

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-untitled.jpg

Great deal of slipping and sliding right from the Tyre shop. Infact, am aware that new tyres generally have lower grip, but the lack of grip on this one was plain unsafe, switching lanes at anything over 80 was dramatic, went on for a week (to 10 days) when it settled to some decency.

Anyways, Marengo now, also has added West Arunachal in its 6.5 year old 167k resume. Here are some pics from there.

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_12152.jpg

Marengo: Rocky Beige Mahindra Scorpio mHawk 4WD & MLD. 4 years & 1 lakh kms up!-img_12093.jpg

The two lakes side by side, have different colour of liquid!
1100D is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks