Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2010, 21:55   #16
BHPian

Re: Army Gypsy 2000 MPFI- Build Off

Hi Joshguy,
No it is not inclusive of registration. Registration is 15 K extra
What do you think the price should have been?

Regards,
Old 21st December 2010, 22:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
blacknebula nice gypsy,2L seems to be little high,is it inclusive of registration?
Looking at the price the normal carb kings go for i feel he got a real sweet deal, The body line is perfect, the engine is running, 4x4 working all 4 new tyres, i dont think he had paid a lot for the vehicle. Looking at what we get during army auctions i feel its a mint condition gypsy.

Example of a disposal from our own classifieds.

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...ti/Gypsy.html/

Pramod
Old 22nd December 2010, 00:14   #18
BHPian

If we go as per the market value of the car 2L seems really high. But considering the condition of the car and availability of gypsys in the market it seemed fair to me. The seller has been honest enough to call up and report any fault they find in the car.
Since the engine sludge was discovered (which nobody knew of before the deal) it is being cleaned and few small parts being replaced free of cost.

I will have to spend an extra 5-7K for stuff like:

New Dash
Floor rubber
Mats
New Locks
Clear Lamps
Bumper Paint

Guys please do let me know if there is anything else which i should look out for as a hygiene as well as mechanical.
Old 22nd December 2010, 09:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

My Answers in Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknebula View Post
New Dash:1500 RS
Floor rubber:you mean those rubber plugs which drain water right?, it will be with in 200 Rs
Mats: Get rubber/PVC mats 1000 RS
New Locks: Entire lock set for esteem costs 1100 Rs so ones in gypsy should cost less
Clear Lamps: there are 2 types with the beam adjuster and without one, the earlier costs 2000+ each later should be within 500(at kashmiri Gate)
Bumper Paint: Get a metal bumper fabricated, it will be useful in future if you install a winch, it costs between 5k- 7k, but you can get one fabricated for 3k, Just a paint job will cost you 500 RS(example)

Pramod
Old 22nd December 2010, 12:51   #20
BHPian

Thanks Pramod for the prices.
Below are few pics of th engine after it was opened.
Attached Thumbnails
Army Gypsy 2000 MPFI- Build Off-img00123201012191544.jpg  

Army Gypsy 2000 MPFI- Build Off-img00124201012191544.jpg  

Army Gypsy 2000 MPFI- Build Off-img00125201012191634.jpg  

Army Gypsy 2000 MPFI- Build Off-img00126201012191635.jpg  

Army Gypsy 2000 MPFI- Build Off-img00127201012191635.jpg  

Old 22nd December 2010, 15:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post

Floor rubber:you mean those rubber plugs which drain water right?, it will be with in 200 Rs

Pramod
Pramod, rubber plugs which drain water?? I think, you meant rubber plugs which prohibit water entry. I guess rubber mats were being referred to here.

Spike
Old 22nd December 2010, 15:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Pramod, rubber plugs which drain water?? I think, you meant rubber plugs which prohibit water entry. I guess rubber mats were being referred to here.

Spike
Hi Spike,
I was referring to the rubber plugs, see below.
Attached Thumbnails
Army Gypsy 2000 MPFI- Build Off-img00368201012211636.jpg  

Old 29th December 2010, 13:15   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Below are few pics of th engine after it was opened.
That doesn't look good at all!
Clear sign that the oil changes have been badly neglected.

You can definitely clean up the sludge, but doing just that will not be sufficient.
Remember its an old engine (and poorly maintained at that, maybe overheated many times as well) and cleaning away the sludge will also remove deposits helping seal the rings with the bore and also the inlet/exhaust valves.

My suggestion is to overhaul the engine since you have it open.

Cheers
Old 30th December 2010, 00:25   #24
BHPian

What exactly would an engine overhaul include?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
That doesn't look good at all!
Clear sign that the oil changes have been badly neglected.

You can definitely clean up the sludge, but doing just that will not be sufficient.
Remember its an old engine (and poorly maintained at that, maybe overheated many times as well) and cleaning away the sludge will also remove deposits helping seal the rings with the bore and also the inlet/exhaust valves.

My suggestion is to overhaul the engine since you have it open.

Cheers
Old 30th December 2010, 00:34   #25
Team-BHP Support

To be very honest its not that bad also, seems to have been neglected a lil bit somewhere down the line. Overheating i dont suspect since the head seems to be in pretty decent shape, might have done close to a lakh km and hence the gunk inside. But head looks pretty good.

Strip it, clean it thoroughly and inspect, change all the bearings, oil seals and gaskets. Inspect the con rods and crank for wear and tear. Check the valve's and do a proper seating job, if worn replace the valves. Double check the oil pump and water pump and replace it if worn out. If the bore is ok change the rings and re-assemble. Do that with a competent MUL trained mechanic and you are ready to go.
Old 30th December 2010, 01:04   #26
BHPian

That sure is a great relief. Thanks for the tips Jaggu.
am getting the engine cleaned thoroughly, am getting the oil seals and gaskets changed, will check with the mechanic for he rest of the stuff you have mentioned.
Also, it would be great if you could advice me if free wheeling hubs should be on priority as of now, to what extent do they enhance the FE and how much should they cost.

Thanks
Old 30th December 2010, 02:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Overheating i dont suspect since the head seems to be in pretty decent shape, might have done close to a lakh km and hence the gunk inside. But head looks pretty good.
The sludge is usually the result of prolonged use of engine oil and/or overheating. Another reason could also be contamination with water in addition to the above causes, which is usually caused by a warped head or a blown head gasket or both. It is really hard to be accurately able to judge the condition of the head just by looking at it.
But it would be good insurance to have the lathe/machine shop check for trueness of the head surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Strip it, clean it thoroughly and inspect, change all the bearings, oil seals and gaskets. Inspect the con rods and crank for wear and tear. Check the valve's and do a proper seating job, if worn replace the valves. Double check the oil pump and water pump and replace it if worn out. If the bore is ok change the rings and re-assemble. Do that with a competent MUL trained mechanic and you are ready to go.
Exactly. Pretty much everything which is done when overhauling an engine. It would false economy to just clean up and button up the engine as is. As you said, if not new pistons and liners, then definitely new rings, valve seats, conrod bearing inserts and main bearings should be installed.

Cheers
Old 30th December 2010, 10:22   #28
BHPian

Any answers of the below quoted query?

One more thing, i would be parking the vehicle inside my colony but sometimes the parking space is occupied by someone else, i cannot fight for the space since it is nobody's. Anyone who comes first can park there. Since mine is a soft top what security measure should i look at to avoid theft (apart from the hard top option). I would not be putting a music system in it.

Thanks,

Quote:
Also, it would be great if you could advice me if free wheeling hubs should be on priority as of now, to what extent do they enhance the FE and how much should they cost.

Thanks
Old 30th December 2010, 12:01   #29
Team-BHP Support

FWH can be put at any time, not a big job or a priority now. You should get the basic vehicle pakka, then think about all these.
Old 30th December 2010, 13:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since mine is a soft top what security measure should i look at to avoid theft (apart from the hard top option).
Thanks,
You could weld a loop of steel from reinforcement rod right to the tranny hump floor and then loop a piece of heavy chain thru the loop and steering wheel and secure it with a heavy padlock. Thieves could break it but only with great difficultly. Usually, one look at something like that and they try to find an easier target. Or you could just loop the chain around the clutch or brake pedal and up to the wheel. Lots of variations possible here.

You could put in a hidden master electrical switch such that the car can not be started unless the switch is on. My friends often also put a sign in the window that says "No Radio".

Gotzuk is correct about the sludge. This was a perspicacious observation on his part. It is the symptom of a neglected and probably worn out motor.

Jaggu has the remedy. Don't scrimp on new rings and bearings etc. Get it thoroughly overhauled while the engine is out and you may not have to open the engine again for another 100k if you are lucky.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 30th December 2010 at 13:20.

Most Viewed