Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2010, 13:28   #211
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!

I admit most points are not new to you or to M&M, however I just wish to add few minor items I can think of:
  1. Dashboard:
    Rattle free dash, with good vibration resistant lining.
    Lockable and rattle-free glow box.
    A black, rubberised and grain-finish would add good contrast to the interiors; this also assists the driver to have less glare / reflection in front of his eyes.
    Material should not get brittle over several years in exposed sunlight (especially the dash nut caps).
  2. Electrical:
    Water resistant cabling with a higher ECU cavity placement.
    Additional Aux points can also make the aux lights, winch, cigarette lighters virtually plug and play.
    Battery casing in the engine bay should be bigger and should be able to house a bigger dimension battery (say a truck battery)
    A good sealed and well hidden ignition harness to prevent easy theft.
    While in High-beam, would prefer the low-beam to work as well.
    Please consider a third break light for all hardtop versions (either outside, above the safety wheel or inside the cabin hatch door)
  3. Music System:
    For guys who want to install a music system in a soft-top Thar, I strongly suggest them to buy a unit which supports USB input rather than a solo CD player. (there is no dust-proofing unit in existence and you might have to clean it and may have to replace the entire unit as it gets corrupted with sand and dust).
  4. Engine:
    Engine bonnet air-intake scoop, for that extra breath of cold fresh-air fuelling the engine.
    Extra-layer of engine and fire-wall damper pads to reduce vibrations and noise.
    Polyurethane bushes on all mounts.
  5. Softtop
    A good fabric inner-lining material which can be used as a heat / fire retardant (check-out options like CarbonX); or at least similar material available in India like glasswool inner linning.
    Rear straps should not have zips; instead it should have good quality velcro straps with good quality fibre buttons.
  6. Hardtop
    Should have a sleek design with a very low co-efficient of drag. (please do not have an upward throwing roof-line (like the Invader); apart from not looking good, it circles the escaped air back into the cabin from behind, carrying dust). Instead, have a tangential straight line top, which looks plain and simple. No harm in closely observing the Jeep Wrangle hardtop designs.Should have a rattle free and sealant binding the metal and fibre to make relatively dust and rattle free; also expansion and contraction of therse two materials should be considered.
Cheers
Pavan
Old 23rd December 2010, 13:57   #212
Senior - BHPian

I do not know for what purpose people filled 60% of this thread as Congratulatory Posts. It is nothing new and OLD wine in OLD Bottle (Even Bottle is not changed).

I do not think M&M Team has spent any amount on R&D aspects of Thar as nothing seen changed from the OLD gen 540/440s.

No Congratulations From Me!!!. It is really interesting to watch, those who are giving expert comments here can actually become Thar Owner for this steep price, which ever do not offer AC.
Old 23rd December 2010, 13:58   #213
BHPian

Oh, the adventure really looks macho. But the additional costs and the fact that we have to send it for two months to Mumbai plays spoil sport. Are those options only available as a package or can we pick and choose?

But all siad, the temptation is very high now to go and book a Thar. The ex-showroom price of 5.99 L I think is justifiable. By the way, what is the warranty on this beast?

Last edited by SafeDrive : 23rd December 2010 at 13:59.
Old 23rd December 2010, 14:08   #214
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post

I do not think M&M Team has spent any amount on R&D aspects of Thar as nothing seen changed from the OLD gen 540/440s.
Typical words from a non-jeeper! Go through all THAR related threads please.
Anuj, I guess you don't know the history of THAR and how it all started in this Forum.

Kindly go through all the THAR threads to know the passion with which Bhpian Behram Dhabhar - GM of M&M, has himself asked for what we off-roaders wish for. He has delivered what exactly we wanted.

Yes, it looks the same as MM540. But it's built according to the price. For 5 lacs you get delicate darlings like i10.

Quote:
No Congratulations From Me!!!.
'Congratulations' posts are not mandatory!
Old 23rd December 2010, 14:21   #215
BHPian

Quote:

This is a low budget project for M&M with high profit margin. most of us fail to understand and we are ready to pay the premium price as we don't have any other option.
Old 23rd December 2010, 15:02   #216
BHPian

As far as a HT - a friend and I are working on a design like the one attached - sectional top with a separate front, rear, sides and back made of composites.

Can anyone send me dimensions - need to know how to appropriately fit the top. If anyone has a drawing or photo on which they could add dimensions, would be really helpful.

Look forward to coming up with a model by the end of the year and hopefully a working prototype by end Jan - the sooner the better.

Thanks,
Manas
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-thar-ideal.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc04225.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc04231.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 23rd December 2010, 15:10   #217
Senior - BHPian

@Counsel - what is new? Enlighten me please.

I think, of all Indian manufacturers, Tata followed by Mahindra are the most innovative (within limits) in what they do.

Everyone else just churn out an international product to us. Which is probably the reason why Tata and Mahindra find it hard to match the fit/finish and QC that the others offer.

My question is - Why? How hard is it to come out with a product that meets international quality standards? Don't we deserve it?
Old 23rd December 2010, 15:52   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you get experienced mechanic, I feel with this pricing OLD MM440 and 550 shall be converted with similar specs with much lesser price. Please note many CJs, MM440 etc. had fitted power steering, AC etc. (GTO's classic).
Design of Thar is nothing to talk about. What makes it differ from OLD design (except new engine)?
The Engine and the IFS is the USP of this vehicle.
Plonk a CRDe engine in the old MM frame with live axles and it would be just as reliable and stable at high speeds as the factory one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LIOS View Post
Mahindra Thar DI 4X4 BS3 - Rs. 4.97 lakhs ex-showroom Delhi (as per a couple of web sites) - now that pricing is more in my league.

How come no discussion on the THAR DI 4x4? ...I thought gents here would be happy to get the simple & easy-to-repair-anywhere DI engine with a solid front axle.

IMO, the absence of Power Steering is the only drawback. Else, the DI 4x4 is the perfect vehicle for what I need. I will try to get a test drive with the manual RCBT steering and see if my weak arms can handle it
Mdi discussions here
This is the more anticipated product on this section now. Its going to suit very well price wise and live axle wise.

Trust me the older steering is a killer. This should be easier and come on exercise those arms on the manual steering its not going to be that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Which is a convenient excuse for "We don't have the time, money or inclination to change anything for the Indian customers".

This is also known as the "Royal Enfield Syndrome" for those of you familiar with the marque.
IMO - In terms of RE - Thar is the RE equivalent for 4 wheels.

Quality may not be top notch.
Pricing is higher than the perceived value.

..........Still both the RE sells and the Thar will also sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
South Africa gets a 140bhp engine. They didn't bother giving us the same treatment, after all we are just "Indians".

Just as Royal Enfield didn't bother covering up the ghastly wiring under the seat on the new Classic models. RE also gives an O2 lambda sensor on it's export bikes but not on the Indian bikes which makes the Fuel Injection virtually USELESS if you want to head into the mountains. Why? Because we are just Indians.
  1. My guess in Thar case is tuning to get better mileage
  2. In case of the RE to keep the costs down. Not because we deserve less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Thar MDI 4x4 is the way forward and its the best VFM when the we have to make a choice between the two Thars.
+ 1
  • There are some who can afford the CRDe and will go for it
  • There are some who can afford the CRDe but will still go for the MDi (live axles)
  • There are some who cannot afford both and will have to wait for it to arrive in the second hand market
  • There are others who dont have a clue what we are talking about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
MDI is purely an offroad enthusiast's vehicle which from my point of view will do the tour of duty offroad and not stand in the house garage to be taken out as and when the owner gets time to enjoy the lifestyle vehicle (CRDe)!

happy mud slugging to all!
Pram /others, My only question here is what is the MDi's top speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
^^ Big problem is the MDi cant be bought by 90% of the Tbhp guys (assuming the offroading community is 90% from a metro).

Question - Can NEWDelhi guys register a Mdi in noida/gurgaon with their metro home addresses?
Similarly, can Greater Bombay guys register in Thane (likewise) using their metro addresses? (I think yes - coz my uncle's verna from mulund was registered in thane).
Adding to this topic-- Can I register this in a metro second hand? Do the RTO boys object to that?

Quote:
I do not see there is any ground up and innovative design in the Thar. Such type of OLD design Mahindra had from decades which it inherited from other company like Willys etc (with which Mahindra had collaboration before).
Different strokes for different folks.
Looking for good design in a 4x4 - buy a TATA Range Rover.

Quote:
I do not know for what purpose people filled 60% of this thread as Congratulatory Posts. It is nothing new and OLD wine in OLD Bottle (Even Bottle is not changed).

Anuj you are entitled to your opinion, however it will certainly take quite a bit of R&D to make a reliable Indian offroader which has IFS, 150kmph top speed with 240+nM of bottom end torque.

Please drive my '91 540, on highway and offroad and then try the Thar on for size on both terrains.

Quote:
No Congratulations From Me!!!. It is really interesting to watch, those who are giving expert comments here can actually become Thar Owner for this steep price, which ever do not offer AC.
I request people not interested in this product to please not sledge the efforts of the MM team.

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd December 2010 at 22:55. Reason: Comments on Infraction system removed.
Old 23rd December 2010, 15:59   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Sigh! This thread is going nowhere...AGAIN!

Thar is launched. Nothing is gonna change now (in terms of specifications). What's the point debating quality, panel gaps, chassis, tyres, rims, climate control, AC, HT, live axles, dead axles, comatose axles, etc etc etc?

So what if M&M used Teambhp as a marketing tool. Big deal! It's a real world, get used to it.

We cried Thar has not released. Now it has, so we need something else to cry about.

Move on guys. It's here now. Whoever wants to buy it will buy it. No point flogging the dead horse!

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 23rd December 2010 at 16:01. Reason: typo
Old 23rd December 2010, 16:18   #220
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Different strokes for different folks.
Looking for good design in a 4x4 - buy a TATA Range Rover.

Anuj you are entitled to your opinion, however it will certainly take quite a bit of R&D to make a reliable Indian offroader which has IFS, 150kmph top speed with 240+nM of bottom end torque.

Please drive my '91 540, on highway and offroad and then try the Thar on for size on both terrains.

I request people not interested in this product to please not sledge the efforts of the MM team.
My +100 to this
Similar story I have a 1989 540 4x4 for 21 years ( also a series Land Rover for many years ) I have driven them both regularly on & off roads, & I have driven the Thar CRDe too . A very notably positive difference in every department

On a serious note : the Thar CRDe drivers need to be much more carefull while driving , ( specially first few drives )there is too much power & agility to handle compared to any old stock .Need to be carefull till you get acustomed to the speed & power of the vehicle

I think its time to forget old Jugads if you have money

Sudarshan
Old 23rd December 2010, 16:26   #221
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
By the way - "how do you make the Thar CRDe better than what it is today? . Let the interactions begin.

Behram Dhabhar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Thar is launched. Nothing is gonna change now (in terms of specifications). What's the point debating quality, panel gaps, chassis, tyres, rims, climate control, AC, HT, live axles, dead axles, comatose axles, etc etc etc?

We cried Thar has not released. Now it has, so we need something else to cry about.

Move on guys.
Behram himself asked for suggestions, hence the discussion.

Why won't anything change?? I hope M&M will solve if any defects.
Old 23rd December 2010, 16:29   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain_in_U View Post
Test drove the THAR CRDe yesterday in bangalore... and booked it
Wow...congrats...! Looks like you are the first one in TBHP to book one.

Where did you do the TD. I spoke with India Garage on Monday & they did not have a piece for that. When is the delivery expected.

BTW, could you get any info of Blr on-road price for Di 4X4.
Old 23rd December 2010, 16:31   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNSEL View Post
Behram himself asked for suggestions, hence the discussion.
Lol, BD is upto his usual antics. Wait for BD's next wishlist thread for that. And if you followed the previous wishlist thread, you'd realize how much difference that made and will a newer thread make any difference again? No point discussing how the Thar should have been created once it's already launched.
Old 23rd December 2010, 16:44   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
It's here now. Whoever wants to buy it will buy it. No point flogging the dead horse!
That is the point. This product is in market now. And market would determine its success or failure.
Old 23rd December 2010, 16:48   #225
AVR
BHPian

LSD or Diff Locks

Well as someone said it took 60 years to make this vehicle but certain things were left out but I think its a good start.

I think the only vehicle that will have everything we desire will be in the comfort of your or your mechanic's garage. So just because feedback was given/taken is no reason to expect it to be included in the final product.

I think going to faraway OTRs will be a less noisy/uncomfortable experience now for those who buy it.

Plonking in an A/C, HT are fairlyl solvable problems given that a lot of us here have done way more (engines/gb transplants).

The only thing I felt was rather important is LSD. I say LSD not because I think its better than Diff locks but because its already been a part of the famous M&M parts bin Nevertheless, am hoping its an easy thing to fit later. A hard-core offroader that "hates the tar" would be rather incomplete without LSD/Diff locks.

Looking forward to some actual ownerships/TDs soon.

Cheers,
Adi

Last edited by AVR : 23rd December 2010 at 16:54.
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks