Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2010, 13:10   #361
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
tbhp members are not the only people the company is going to base the cars sales on
Very valid point. And as a tbhp member who knows a tiny bit about offroading I see this car opening up a whole knew world for many newbies.

Its not just offroading but any sport for that matter is all about people having fun together in an activity. Its the people who make the whole experience fun. If people weren't important we would not drive 1000 kms to get together with likeminded groups of people to attend events like AKC and EXAMM. Trust me we have similar terrain and maybe better stuff right here in our backyard, but its the people and the experience of having fun together which made it so enjoyable to drive all the way to Lonavla and Karjat for some fun.

The Thar via the MGE's will open up a whole new adventure experience for the average Indian consumer. Times are changing. Indians are spending money travelling to foreign countries to take part in adventure activities. I have a bunch of rich friends who travel to exotic locations to just ride motorcycles for fun !! So now that India has a home grown comfortable offroader we should see a new breed of adventure seekers, families included, that will warm up to the Thar experience.

For this new breed the Thar will not only surprise and impress but have depth of abilities to keep them challenged for years to come.

A handful of enthusiasts will no doubt find the Thar and for that matter any stock offering from a mfg lacking in terms of their wishlist. That's okay as these guys and their wishlists are important too. They are the beacons of the offroading world who will slowly steer the sport to its ultimate potential. If the community grows and the demands for better more uncompromising tech arises where the economics of introducing such tech justifies the R&D and making it viable economically I am sure M&M will keep delivering. Ultimately a company is in the game to satisfy consumers and make a healthy profit in return.

People like BD and Spike and Vinod would be enthused when their efforts start to pay off and more and more people begin to enjoy the Thar experience. If the Thar does well I can see BD becoming ever more engrossed on the "what next" aspect.

But its guys like Speedy and many more well heeled customers who will join the ever growing family of offroad enthusiasts who want to simply enjoy a new experience.

After all their perspective is as valid as that of a purist.

PS: I will have a tough time resisting buying one myself when it gets launched in Hyderabad. But I will get thrown out of my house because right now there are more cars in the house than people. So I will need to reduce the number of cars to make way for something like the Thar. So am keeping mum about this and continuing enjoying the CJ3B which is a different animal altogether.

Last edited by DKG : 27th December 2010 at 13:17.
Old 27th December 2010, 13:14   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just for everyones information. The Thar crde comes with power steering and a dealer fitted AC unit as standard. This is what i have been told regarding my car.
@Speedy please note that CRDe version houses a Heater unit (Garam Hawa ONLY).

Spike
Old 27th December 2010, 13:19   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mr Arka,

My post above was not a personal attack on you or anyone, it was a general one.

I am sure there would be the experts like yourself who would feel the car is not upto the mark and things could be done better and i am a nobody in this field. The companies dont sit to please every single person now, do they? They run a business and that is what the Thar is too them, one more feather in the cap. This does not mean that the car is going to fall apart driving through the first bump or something.

It like saying the W140 was a nightmare for electrical glitches so the W221 would also have that. Progress comes with trial and error and not by just saying things.

The only thing that i am trying to say here is and what all of us needs to understand is that it is an honest attempt to take things forward by the company.
I would rather have you see my car, than write down a to do list. I am not an expert but a lay man, so trial and error route works for me.

Please do not make this into a debate or an ego issue. You know way more than i do and i have no issues in saying it.

Just for everyones information. The Thar crde comes with power steering and a dealer fitted AC unit as standard. This is what i have been told regarding my car.
Hi Mr.Speedy,

I don't consider your post as a personal attack on me or anyone.

Since your post was general, I didn't want to get into specifics.

Regarding Progress Comes with Trial and Error, I hope this doesn't become M&M's Trial and the Buyer's Error.

I don't see it as an honest attempt by M&M, but a ploy to get web space, and internet ratings.

Leave the ego and debate aside, you have a good understanding of vehicles of your interest, I have a bit of understanding of vehicles of my interest.

If you want to argue Facts for Facts, I'm game, as I will learn a lot.

Regards,

Arka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post

Spike
Hi Spike,

That will be good to dry things out.

I'm still waiting for your answer regarding fording depth.

Regards,

Arka

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th December 2010 at 16:28. Reason: Back to back post, please EDIT the original post instead. Thanks
Old 27th December 2010, 13:47   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please do not think i am one of the talkers who dont walk the talk. My car is the first booking of Bombay and it has been promised for end of Jan.
Congrats!
Quote:
Can you please let us know how is the dealer fitting the AC. As in where is he placing the condenser coil and is he using the Xylo/Bolero compressor?

A little info on the price will also help.

Cheers
Old 27th December 2010, 14:15   #365
Senior - BHPian

@BD sir: Motoroids are already claiming that it is a lifestyle segment being targetted. Just want you to push harder to target the right segment.

Anxiously waiting for an official review here. The debate has been raging long enough.

Till than i will just continue reading.

Cheers

PS: Congrats speedy.
Old 27th December 2010, 14:32   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
And as a tbhp member who knows a tiny bit about offroading I see this car opening up a whole knew world for many newbies.

------------
After all their perspective is as valid as that of a purist.
Very well said. I am floored every-time I read your posts. The simplicity with you and Samurai put things together is really worth mentioning.

Spike
Old 27th December 2010, 16:25   #367
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar 2.5 CRDe 4WD

Mahindra Thar 2.5 CRDe 4WD.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00001.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00002.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00003.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00004.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00005.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00006.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00007.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00008.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00009.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00010.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00011.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00012.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00013.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00014.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00015.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00016.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00017.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00020.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00021.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00022.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00023.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00024.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00025.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00027.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00028.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00030.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00031.jpg  

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-dsc00033.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th December 2010 at 18:23. Reason: Back to back post, please EDIT the original post instead. Thanks
Old 27th December 2010, 16:40   #368
BHPian

Hi Sid,

Where is this beauty parked? Is it Koncept Noida?

Warm regards,

Chaunfa
Old 27th December 2010, 16:43   #369
Senior - BHPian

yes, parked at koncept noida.
Old 27th December 2010, 16:46   #370
BHPian

Wow sidindica!! Superb pics! Thanks a lot for posting. I have read almost all Thar threads and followed this one everyday. I got to learn a lot. As a wannabe jeeper, this is definitely the best place to be. As a potential customer it's great be fully informed. Thank you all
Old 27th December 2010, 16:49   #371
BHPian

Thanks for the pictures Sid. One thing is for sure, the finish looks much better than the ones on the earlier 540s. It really does look appealing - mid life crisis maybe.

On a seperate note, I've been following the Thar threads for some time now. I'm not an offroading enthusiast nor would I buy a vehicle for that reason. But the Thar does have a different kind of appeal too beyond that. A kind of magnetic force pulling at people like me who are city dwellers but would still like a macho image to go with. Isn't that why the SUVs sell? There is something about a Jeep design which suggests rugged and tough, even if a fatso with a beer belly is driving it.
Old 27th December 2010, 16:57   #372
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the photos sid.

but how come CRDe is in white colour, the website and the forum discussions say its not available in white!!!

the only problem is, people will still see is it as a simple jeep, but whats beneath and underneath is a total different story!

"arrey bhiya yeh to bahot tez bhagti hai, NOS lagaya hai kya?"

Last edited by Parm : 27th December 2010 at 17:00.
Old 27th December 2010, 17:35   #373
Senior - BHPian

Sid, thank you for the pics. Good ones. I like the car, has lot of genes flowing in!

I really wish M&M did/does some better looking tail lamps and dash fitments. I also feel that THAR Crde should have been distinguised product from THAR DI. Crde should have been with more refinement on the exteriors too much to akin of Wranglers and the basic Jeep models.

My 2 cents!!
Old 27th December 2010, 20:06   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Spike this was told by the sales person who came to the office today. He said the dealership fits the AC and not the factory at no extra cost for the CRDE. So i would take it as the car comes with AC and power steering at the same cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Regarding Progress Comes with Trial and Error, I hope this doesn't become M&M's Trial and the Buyer's Error.
I am sure M&M know what they are doing and their target audiance. By trial and error i meant, myself and not M&M doing trial and error to make the car more suited to my offroading needs.

Quote:
I don't see it as an honest attempt by M&M, but a ploy to get web space, and internet ratings.
The marketing guys at M&M are good at their jobs. They got their space and yet continue to have everyones attention. Its like saying you can love me or hate but you still cant live without talking about me .

Quote:
Leave the ego and debate aside, you have a good understanding of vehicles of your interest, I have a bit of understanding of vehicles of my interest.
I did not in any form say you dont know your cars. All i was saying is the company has launched the car, so nothing much can be done now. The masses would still buy the car if they like it and wont if they dont. I dont see a point in saying this is what they should have or not have.

Quote:
If you want to argue Facts for Facts, I'm game, as I will learn a lot.
I did mention i am a layman in the jeep field. This would be my second jeep owned but the first one i would drive. I dont believe in googleing information to take part in an arguement. I would rather say you know your cars and i'd like to learn from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Congrats!

Can you please let us know how is the dealer fitting the AC. As in where is he placing the condenser coil and is he using the Xylo/Bolero compressor?

A little info on the price will also help.

Cheers
Thank you.

I did not ask technical questions regarding the AC as the car comes at the end of next month. I frankly dont need the AC as the car would be with a canvas top and would only be used for offroading. I was informed by the sales person, that the crde comes dealer fitted with the AC at no extra cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Mahindra Thar 2.5 CRDe 4WD
Nice to see the pictures in White. They are not offering this color for the CRDE. This was first choice and then Rocky beige. The MDI i was told comes in primarily white.
Old 27th December 2010, 20:14   #375
Senior - BHPian

^^ Speedy who will fit the condenser, compressor, RD bottle etc. then? Will the dealer do that for free? I suggest you have a word with the sales guy once again and clarify on this.

Spike
Closed Thread

Most Viewed