Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2010, 16:09   #166
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!

It's great that the Thar is out.

My personal feel is that for what if offers it is overpriced by about 75K. - so is the gypsy by even more for that matter.

There are no real alternatives in this price band so M&M should be able to get away with it.

Would have liked an AC + ABS version in the same price range.

It does throw up possibilities for the future and will meet many current requirements.
Old 22nd December 2010, 16:19   #167
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear the Thar is out...finally some more choices for those undecided about off-roading thanks to the extreme demands it places on machinery. This is the ideal vehicle for a trip to Ladakh and back in style.

I am also pleasantly surprised by the pricing. I think at 6L ex-showroom it is spot on. Cheaper than the Gypsy by about 15k which should take care of the AC (compressor + blower).
Old 22nd December 2010, 17:24   #168
Senior - BHPian

about Thar pricing . .

It seems manufacturers can't help but price in their 'premiums' for every addition that they throw in. It's a kind of 'price+premium' for every piece of kit that they add. I'm almost sure that the bare bones model that they have displayed, even with the Xylo engine can be easily priced at 4.99 instead of 5.99 and still they would be at a profit of 50k to a lakh. Calculating appx on this basis (in lakhs).

Xylo engine: 1.5
transfer case: 50
everything else: 2
Old 22nd December 2010, 17:24   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
ROTFLMAO . Amazing Khan Saab. I want all those!

Well the guy asked a simple question which has been reiterated over the past 1000 pages in various THAR threads. Heck even if he had read the last few pages in this thread, he would have got his answer and wouldn't have asked this redundant question.

Its similar to someone asking me " Don't have time to browse through the THAR thread so you tell me the price and launch dates"

+1
Very well said!

Point taken, BTW I am not his advocate, nor do I know the gentleman. I just said there was NO need to be sarcastic. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
I get what you are saying but my friend that question has been asked & answered a gzillion times in many threads -- including this thread. All one had to do is read the thread instead of just asking questions without bothering to read previous pages.

^same as above. Sarcasm was all that did not go down well with me, I agree the question was answered before.

Coming back to the Thar. Just got off the phone with Sterling Motors, M&M Gurgaon Dealer. They have no information of the Launch of Thar, have no idea of price, have no idea of variants.

I think it is rather weird that the dealers even in the Delhi / NCR region have no information on the Thar. The way the call was handled was like the lady was in a rush to shut the phone & get on with whatever she was doing. Very unprofessional IMHO.

Peace

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 22nd December 2010 at 17:43.
Old 22nd December 2010, 17:47   #170
Senior - BHPian

Anand Mahindra & Team, Behram, Vinod & many more spirited team mates of THAR- Congratulations for making THAR a reality!

Great job done!

My personal choice will be THAR MDI 4X4 per price point with some amount of customization thrown in!
Old 22nd December 2010, 18:14   #171
Team-BHP Support

^^^ Thank's giving mode just because it was the first time we all interacted closely with manufacturer's representative while product was being finalized. Over these years we have built some personal rapport with these guys also (some of us became very good friends too), unlike any other car launch. That is all.

As BD said lets focus now on our Thar Crde V2 wish list We have our list ready as usual!
Old 22nd December 2010, 18:35   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
^^^ Thank's giving mode just because it was the first time we all interacted closely with manufacturer's representative while product was being finalized. Over these years we have built some personal rapport with these guys also (some of us became very good friends too), unlike any other car launch. That is all.

As BD said lets focus now on our Thar Crde V2 wish list We have our list ready as usual!

Now we are talking The wishlist shall begin with Hardtop option with Airconditioning & central locking & front facing comfortable seats (instead of benches) with NICE alloys..all this factory fitted, something in the league of a Wrangler. I am ready to book one now if I can get it !!

Cheers
Old 22nd December 2010, 19:07   #173
Senior - BHPian

I am off Team-Bhp for 2 days and this happens??

It may be a bit late in the thread but I just have to congratulate the Mahindra 'Off Road Junkies' - Behram Sir, Vinod Nookala and Pratheesh Raveendran... And also Mahindra top management for listening to Team-Bhp and Behram sir.

I was amazed at the multiple acknowledgments of Team-BHPs involvement in the development of this product.
Kudos to Mahindra - I have new found respect for this company.

I am a Proud Team-BHP Member.

If I could I would book one right away.
Can we please have a list / show of hands on who is definitely going in for their bookings immediately? <I envy you guys>
Old 22nd December 2010, 19:20   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm going against the tide here, but I do NOT think the Thar is over-priced at all. I've never heard anyone complain of the Gypsy's pricing, thus am surprised that a 6 lakh ex-showroom price is meeting with some criticism.

Gypsy ex-showroom price in Mumbai : 5.58 lakhs
Thar = 6.28 lakhs

Difference = Rs. 70,000. What do I get for 70,000?

- Diesel Economy (this alone with worth the difference)
- More power
- More torque (247 nm versus 103 - That's 2.5 times more!)
- A power steering
- Better ride quality on tarmac

The differential value, of these 5 points combined, is a lot more than 70 grand. In fact, the Thar CRDe makes the Gypsy look overpriced!
AT LAST!! Someone starts talking sense. Anyways, Lets not get into this again..

Congratulations Dad. Finally eh!!
Can we swap the poo colored bolero for a black THAR please!!
Old 22nd December 2010, 19:28   #175
Senior - BHPian

congrats to Thar team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Can we swap the poo colored bolero for a black THAR please!!
don't Behram sir already have a black Thar.
the V521.

BTW any news on 4x4 MDI.
Old 22nd December 2010, 20:01   #176
Senior - BHPian

There is no doubt that the Gypsy is overpriced compared to the Thar.

Trouble is...the Gypsy was overpriced even before the Thar pricing was revealed. The Gypsy is, at best, worth 4.0L. There is NOTHING in it to justify the 6.2L price tag. I bought one because it was a bit of a "dream" but it still stung!

Which is why I think the Thar is priced pretty sweet! It'll be a HIT with the wildlife photographers provided it doesn't make too much noise. I'm not sure if our reserves permit diesel vehicles to enter these days.

Can I borrow a Thar (since I cannot buy one at the moment) for my next Ladakh trip in September 2011
Old 22nd December 2010, 20:37   #177
Senior - BHPian

I think the price is perfect.

If its priced at under 6 lacs (5.99) ex show room Rajasthan. We save about 25k on registration. Thats the tax bracket magic at Rajasthan RTOs'.

Only grudge is that they should have made this Brand Exclusive and not launch the Di version.

Gypsy has been overpriced. But has its own small market. I think Gypsy is best bought 2nd hand re-made later. But i can say Gypsy is pretty well build. On the otherhand Mahidnra has had quality problems with joint wields, etc. They just rust to fast.

Last edited by SirAlec : 22nd December 2010 at 20:40.
Old 22nd December 2010, 20:52   #178
BHPian

Behram Sir and team, congratulations and thank you for giving us the THAR.
Does anyone know how much it would cost(OTR) in Hyd?
Old 22nd December 2010, 21:07   #179
Senior - BHPian

Well the fact that Thar is costly is a relative term, which I would not comment.

But what makes me like with Thar is its a new variety in the boring sedans that we normally see in India.
Take my word, if at all Thar finds many takers, then for sure one can a new redefined Gypsy with DDiS engine and at a mouthwatering price (since the platform is age old).
Just like how the MSIL did with the EECO, they might end up giving it dirt cheap.

What Thar has done is tapped into this so called niche market, which might turn into a mega market going by the voice of potential customers.

Last edited by xingamazon : 22nd December 2010 at 21:09.
Old 22nd December 2010, 21:28   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

My hearty congratulations to Behram and team. Glad your dream has come a reality.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks