Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2010, 22:39   #181
BANNED

Re: Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!

My heart felt congratulations to Behram ,Vinod and Spike.

looks like they are positioning this as a life style vehicle and yes it is.For those who feel its expensive,what do you think of VW Beetle and Fiat 500 ?Fiat 500 comes with Same engine of Indica Vista Qjet and Swift DDIs,Ritz DDIS punto ect

Good work mahindra ,but i am disappointed about the option on soft/hard top
Old 22nd December 2010, 23:22   #182
Team-BHP Support

Ehhhh, are you hoping the same sales number for Thar as the Fiat 500?? ^^

Wrong comparison Sir! Wrong target market and what not. M&M niche (if that is the case) is very different crowd compared to the Fiat.

Proof of the pudding is at the booking counters. Am eager to see the numbers for next 3 months at the least. Well my cheque book is still unsigned
Old 22nd December 2010, 23:25   #183
Team-BHP Support

I saw a Thar in front of Agra Sweets, Banjara Hills Rd 1, Hyderabad.

Looks nice. The stepney on the rear did not have a tire just the rim. That was a little weird.

But over all the Jeep looks nice. All shiny and inside it were some very happy looking people.
Old 22nd December 2010, 23:27   #184
BHPian

Mr. DB, Spike and team, congrats.
One thing I came to know from the launch was the way to pronounce your name (DB Sir)
Old 23rd December 2010, 00:02   #185
Senior - BHPian

Official test drive

So can we now see an official Team BHP test drive of the THAR Crde - On & OFF road!
Old 23rd December 2010, 00:24   #186
BHPian

My Hearty Congrats to the entire team who have made this a reality.

Special thanks to Mr Behram, Spike and the entire Mahindra group to give us such a wonderful product....

As mentioned by all other fellow bhpians, an option for soft/hard top along with factory installed air con would complete the package as a whole..

Waiting for the TEAM-BHP official review on this beast )
Old 23rd December 2010, 08:26   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
[/b]

The wishlist shall begin with Hardtop option with Airconditioning & central locking & front facing comfortable seats (instead of benches) with NICE alloys..all this factory fitted, something in the league of a Wrangler.
Cheers
With these factory fitted it will definitely give a feel of wrangler and I am another one to book immediately if I get all of these Because I want to drive it daily to my office to keep those rikhshaw walas away (As mentioned by Mr. Behram in his presentation) not only on weekends.
Old 23rd December 2010, 09:29   #188
BHPian

Test drove the THAR CRDe yesterday in bangalore... and booked it

Three variants available according to the dealer:
THAR CRDe 4WD - 7.26L on road BLR
THAR Di 4WD
THAR Di 2WD

Ride, Handling & Braking: 9/10
Engine & Performance: 10/10 (CRDe from Bolero STORM)
Exterior: 8/10
Interior: 3/10 (Bolero STORM scheme) doesn't matter if u r a Jeeper
Features: PS, No A/C (Only Blower even on the top end model)

Overall a neat act.
Old 23rd December 2010, 09:34   #189
jp1
BHPian

On the price front, it could have been 5.49 Ex showroom, and with a/c and HT, around 6. lakhs would have been the ideal price IMHO for the Thar.

Look at M&M own Xylo which you can get around 6.75 lakhs , having much more steel, much more seats, much more plastics, a/c and so many other goodies. At that price the only thing missing in Xylo is the 4x4 comparing Thar, but Thar has many things missing comparing the Xylo, but the price is high in that context. So my expectation was much lower pricing on Thar.
Old 23rd December 2010, 09:58   #190
Senior - BHPian

Criticism !!!

I do not see there is any ground up and innovative design in the Thar. Such type of OLD design Mahindra had from decades which it inherited from other company like Willys etc (with which Mahindra had collaboration before).

Thar is just simple old plain jane design with Scorpio engine plonked into it. It takes sharp eyes to differ Thar from Classic or MM440 or other Jeeps.

I would have been more happy if it contained latest aesthetics aspects combined with latest engine.

If you get experienced mechanic, I feel with this pricing OLD MM440 and 550 shall be converted with similar specs with much lesser price. Please note many CJs, MM440 etc. had fitted power steering, AC etc. (GTO's classic). Even at the time of launch Thar used Classic's bull bar.

Design of Thar is nothing to talk about. What makes it differ from OLD design (except new engine)?

Last edited by anujmishra : 23rd December 2010 at 10:04.
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:07   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Thar Di anyday, diesel engine, cheap work horse mechanicals which can be repaired by anybody in any part of india. What more can you ask for in a 5 lakh 4x4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
BTW any news on 4x4 MDI.
Mahindra Thar DI 4X4 BS3 - Rs. 4.97 lakhs ex-showroom Delhi (as per a couple of web sites) - now that pricing is more in my league.

How come no discussion on the THAR DI 4x4? - With all the fuss on the previous Thar threads regarding IFS & electronics, I thought gents here would be happy to get the simple & easy-to-repair-anywhere DI engine with a solid front axle.

Is it because BS-III is not available for sale in the metros? I am sure that never stopped a buyer from getting the vehicle.

IMO, the absence of Power Steering is the only drawback. Else, the DI 4x4 is the perfect vehicle for what I need. I will try to get a test drive with the manual RCBT steering and see if my weak arms can handle it
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:10   #192
BANNED

@anuj: Prospective owners are more worried about the performance than the 'looks'. As Behram said in the launch speech, the feedback he got for how the new Jeep should be was "MM540 looks with new engine".

Again, new 'look' means THAR would have costed 9-10 lacs?!
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:18   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
On the price front, it could have been 5.49 Ex showroom, and with a/c and HT, around 6. lakhs would have been the ideal price IMHO for the Thar.

Look at M&M own Xylo which you can get around 6.75 lakhs , having much more steel, much more seats, much more plastics, a/c and so many other goodies. At that price the only thing missing in Xylo is the 4x4 comparing Thar, but Thar has many things missing comparing the Xylo, but the price is high in that context. So my expectation was much lower pricing on Thar.
I dont feel the target customers for Thar are the same as Xylo. This is an off roader 4WD and I guess the target would be the driving enthusiast more than the average user.

It will be interesting to see the demand for Thar in our rular market.

Kudos to Team-bhp for the contribution, proud to be in the team.

Cheers!!
Kalesh
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:59   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNSEL View Post
As Behram said in the launch speech, the feedback he got for how the new Jeep should be was "MM540 looks with new engine"
Which is a convenient excuse for "We don't have the time, money or inclination to change anything for the Indian customers".

This is also known as the "Royal Enfield Syndrome" for those of you familiar with the marque.

What a load of tosh if you ask me

People complain about Porsche being unimaginative with their designs but a Porsche still looks modern and goes like stink. The CJ design is done and should have been buried in the 90s but M&M choose to dump the same design on us over and over again.

The ergonomics are awful even compared with a Gypsy. There is no refinement to the design despite YEARS of R&D. If you look closely around the dash of the "Ground-breaking" Thar you will find the cutting to have been done with a hacksaw. It is an eyesore and even a simple "beading" would have helped cover it but M&M haven't bothered.

South Africa gets a 140bhp engine. They didn't bother giving us the same treatment, after all we are just "Indians".

Just as Royal Enfield didn't bother covering up the ghastly wiring under the seat on the new Classic models. RE also gives an O2 lambda sensor on it's export bikes but not on the Indian bikes which makes the Fuel Injection virtually USELESS if you want to head into the mountains. Why? Because we are just Indians.

Why bother when the customer has no choice? Why bother when we have no competition? Why bother when we've lobbied to ensure that no competition is allowed to do business without surmounting impossible legal, political and red-tape odds.

There HAS to be a law that forces these manufacturers to ensure that their top products are available for sale in India FIRST before allowing them to sell it anywhere else. They are using OUR natural resources and labor and giving us junk back in return!!!

Makes my BLOOD BOIL
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:59   #195
jp1
BHPian

I am not comparing the target market, I am comparing the price based on the materials used Thar Vs Xylo and hence the pricing could have been on the lower side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalesh View Post
I dont feel the target customers for Thar are the same as Xylo. This is an off roader 4WD and I guess the target would be the driving enthusiast more than the average user.

It will be interesting to see the demand for Thar in our rular market.

Kudos to Team-bhp for the contribution, proud to be in the team.

Cheers!!
Kalesh
Closed Thread

Most Viewed