Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2010, 21:51   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
The Engine and the IFS is the USP of this vehicle.
Plonk a CRDe engine in the old MM frame with live axles and it would be just as reliable and stable at high speeds as the factory one?
How did you know THAR is reliable vehicle? Do you preown one? Please do not make such hypothetical statements.

Quote:
Different strokes for different folks.
Looking for good design in a 4x4 - buy a TATA Range Rover.
So you are happy with spending on age age old product with just engine change. No ergonomics change and other change. Well go ahead. My best of luck with you.

Quote:
Anuj you are entitled to your opinion, however it will certainly take quite a bit of R&D to make a reliable Indian offroader which has IFS, 150kmph top speed with 240+nM of bottom end torque.
Again your statement says reliable. How many times you have tested its reliability? Well man for 150 KMPH my sincere advice please do not do it in THAR. There are better car available for 150KMPH.

Quote:
Please drive my '91 540, on highway and offroad and then try the Thar on for size on both terrains.
That is what I am also saying, they have plonked only their in-house 5 years old 2.6 litre CREe engine of Scorpio.

Quote:
I request people not interested in this product to please not sledge the efforts of the MM team.
Man consumers and customers are very smart these days. They try to find value of each penny spend on product. However this is not applicable for certain people.
For 7.5 Lakh you will get i20 Asta CRDI with several Airbags and ABS with many other goodies. Not the product which based on very old design of Ladder Frame Chasis and with just changed engine. Atleast at this price there should be some R&D effort from M&M.

Clearly I do not see any effort from M&M Team for which I should praise. Yes their Scorpio product is worth of praise for every bit of R&D and design effort they have done for it. That is why, it is one of most admired vehicle in its class in India.

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd December 2010 at 22:57. Reason: Please refrain from attacking fellow members. Future violation will attract action.
Old 23rd December 2010, 22:21   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNSEL View Post
THAR prices Bengaluru.
The Di 4x4, assuming it to be BS4, falls in the tempting sweet spot of a fun weekend vehicle and for occasional off-roads. I am seriously considering it.

Can somebody list down what one would be losing out (and even gaining) by opting for Di 4x4 vis-a-vis CRDe 4x4.

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd December 2010, 22:29   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
How did you know THAR is reliable vehicle? Do you preown one? Please do not make such hypothetical statements.
I know one fact. The stock thar that a few of us drove has clocked 2lac + kms with intentional abuse as witnessed by everyone during EXAMM! and hasn't had a breakdown.

@anujmishra:
What is the point that you are trying to make? That the thar crde has been assembled from a ready parts bin? Then the answer is yes. BD went through a lot to get sanction to develop a vehicle which is otr centric and thus wouldn't classify as a mass market vehicle. This was the best possible thing that came out on a limited budget.

I'm not a fanboy, BUT having driven the thar on road at 140kmph, I can tell u that it's rock solid and with nearly zero body roll.
Old 23rd December 2010, 22:52   #244
Senior - BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family and any discriminating or derogatory comment is uncalled for.

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd December 2010 at 23:46. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note added to the post.
MileCruncher is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd December 2010, 23:03   #245
BHPian

I decided to keep silent until I took the delivery of my THAR But after reading 17 pages of this tread I feel disappointed. Modes, please move this to The Indian Car Scene ? Now this thread has become a comedy rather than a 4x4 Thread.

I thought Thar is a new generation Jeep and people can Understand it, but now I understand that most of the people thinks its a 'Mama's boy' CAR.

Now I understand the real meaning of "Its a Jeep Thing" may be "A Thar thing" and the situation to use it.

Last edited by sreejeshmp : 23rd December 2010 at 23:17.
Old 23rd December 2010, 23:20   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Pram /others, My only question here is what is the MDi's top speed?
what does MDIs 4x4 top speed got to do for a vehicle which would be bought by offroad enthusiasts for purely 4x4 OTR purpose?

MDI 4x2/4x4 is not a quartermile dragster, its a purely a repalcement vehicle for Major!

MDI 4x2 is a final replacement for Major and Invader, both of which have been discontinued from production. call it 550 MDI or THAR MDI, its up to you.

MDI 4x2 is the volume mover and CRDe 4x4 is 550 with steroids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
I decided to keep silent until I took the delivery of my THAR But after reading 17 pages of this tread I feel disappointed. Modes, please move this to The Indian Car Scene ? Now this thread has become a comedy rather than a 4x4 Thread.

I thought Thar is a new generation Jeep and people can Understand it, but now I understand that most of the people thinks its a 'Mama's boy' CAR.

Now I understand the real meaning of "Its a Jeep Thing" may be "A Thar thing" and the situation to use it.
+1 to your sree.

i can tell you that the biggest or loudest shouters against the Thar (crde/mdi) are not its buyers!

porsche 911 is a 40 year old design
vw beetle is atleast 30 years old design
royal enfield bullet is ww2 era motorcycle design
MM540/550/Thar is a classic CJ7 design

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd December 2010 at 23:34. Reason: Back to back posts within 20mins. Please use edit button if posting again within 20 mins. Thanks
Old 23rd December 2010, 23:25   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

MDI is the volume mover and CRDe is 550 with steroids!
Agree! It s similar situation as in the Bolero SLX - 63HP and VLX - 97 HP
Old 23rd December 2010, 23:37   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
having driven the thar on road at 140kmph, I can tell u that it's rock solid and with nearly zero body roll.
How's does the hard braking or even just normal slowing down at those speeds feel? Is it something one has to get used to... or similar to its modern brothers?
Old 23rd December 2010, 23:40   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
How's does the hard braking or even just normal slowing down at those speeds feel? Is it something one has to get used to... or similar to its modern brothers?
You have driven my Bolero VLX. Its not different let me tell you.

Cheers
Old 23rd December 2010, 23:57   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Simple way to answer. I felt safer than my modified OHC 1.5.
Old 24th December 2010, 00:33   #251
BHPian

I am a noob when it comes to Jeeps! But I am in love with this Thar CRDe, maybe an infatuation, which could grow into a love!

Have few questions to ask,
1. I have always driven sedans (Mamma Boy's car) and never been in any 4X4 machines or jeeps to say!
2. I dont own any cars as of now and seriously considering to get a Thar CRDe. My concerns are its missing hard top, a/c, everyday commuting. How much approx should i spend to get a hard top with a good a/c?
3. Will be buying this from my hard earned/saved salary so would like to keep the costs and maintenance low, is it feasible by any chance?
4. Would love to go to OTR's, though I have only watched them in youtube!

PS: Dont kill me for asking these questions, just pinned down from my mind!
Old 24th December 2010, 00:47   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Now this thread has become a comedy rather than a 4x4 Thread.
Very True. The sole outcome of this thread is currently geared towards getting people to achieve Senior-Bhpian status faster.

Mahindra has done a successful experiment in the use of social media for marketing the thar.

Team-bhpians have done a great job in participating in that successful experiment. (This is a compliment not sarcasm)

Some are happy to have participated (knowingly or unknowingly)
Some are disappointed with the outcome
Some people will always be part of the peanut gallery no matter what the outcome

Now the thar is out, do cease and desist from pontificating or taking potshots. Let the market and your wallet decide.

Last edited by genesis : 24th December 2010 at 00:57.
Old 24th December 2010, 02:12   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
i can tell you that the biggest or loudest shouters against the Thar (crde/mdi) are not its buyers!

porsche 911 is a 40 year old design
vw beetle is atleast 30 years old design
royal enfield bullet is ww2 era motorcycle design
MM540/550/Thar is a classic CJ7 design
Right.....and people spend time and money restoring these old vehicles which were rotting in some garages. WHY? Don't they get satisfaction after the restoration? Don't people appreciate their effort? Do people ask whether your restored VW has ABS and label it as NOT ROAD WORTHY if not? No, they don't. If VW had released their classic Beetle, people would've still bought them. Nobody would've called VW names for selling the "age old" design.
So, its OK to have a classic looking vehicle. Of course Mahindra is NOT known for ergonomics. So any improvement in that area is most welcome.
As @Arka mentioned elsewhere, it may not be EXACTLY what you all asked. Maybe its the best they could do within the constraints.

....and Thank You Mahindra for NOT putting that WALRUS TEETH grill. God will bless you for that restraint.
Old 24th December 2010, 02:44   #254
BHPian

This thread is about wishlist. And here is one from my side:

1. Differential Locks - both front and rear
2. Lift kit to accommodate 33'' (and may be 35 '' tires). Tires we will choose ourselves.
3. Low range gear to handle these monster tires
4. hard top with factory fitted hvac.

Except point no 4, all should be optional but available. And pl no Mahindra customization stuff. We can get it done ourselves. But the parts should be available.
Old 24th December 2010, 05:00   #255
BHPian

Am thinking How many would buy Thar as a primary car ? Obviously apart from those who own estates or those who stay in hilly regions. Rs 7.5 L for a second car is quite pricey. so normally its those guys who have 15 to 20L worth primary would go for thar. On the flip side, with the hard top and a/c it makes city driving, parking easy with 5.5 m turning radius. You dont have to bother about reckless 2 wheelers. Thar is an interesting choice.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks