Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2010, 07:57   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
1. Differential Locks - both front and rear
2. Lift kit to accommodate 33'' (and may be 35 '' tires). Tires we will choose ourselves.
3. Low range gear to handle these monster tires
i dont think the front half drive shafts are strong enough to handle lockers. may be they can, need confirmation. (safari ones also cant handle them)

the Thar already has low range of 2.48, what needs to be changed is the final drive ratio to 4.88 or 5.38 for 35" tyres.

i think mahindra has plans to offer 4.88 as optional feature.
Old 24th December 2010, 09:03   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
If I am correct, these pics are of a Rubicon not a Wrangler. Either which way are you seriously contemplating making this removeable HT for the THAR. If yes, list me as one of your first few customers.

I really wish this option was available from the Factory, with airconditioner, alloys & nice tyres. Had that been the case I'd have bought one by now (It's another matter that the dealers here do not even know if & when the Thar is being launched & at what price.)

cheers

We are seriously contemplating it...and yes it is from the Rubicon. My mistake. We are working on the mold design and should have something by end of the year. Need exact dimensions though so if I have no choice will have to go to the dealership today with a measuring tape and notebook.

We have spoken to an IIT professor and he says it is very doable - only thing is the interior finish will not be the same as the pics as only one side (the outside) of the part touches the mold for a clean smooth finish. We will have to look at options of foam or felt padding for the inside so it will look like a regular car roof. Suggestions welcome.

Manas
Old 24th December 2010, 09:13   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
I am a noob when it comes to Jeeps! But I am in love with this Thar CRDe, maybe an infatuation, which could grow into a love!

Have few questions to ask,
1. I have always driven sedans (Mamma Boy's car) and never been in any 4X4 machines or jeeps to say!
2. I dont own any cars as of now and seriously considering to get a Thar CRDe. My concerns are its missing hard top, a/c, everyday commuting. How much approx should i spend to get a hard top with a good a/c?
3. Will be buying this from my hard earned/saved salary so would like to keep the costs and maintenance low, is it feasible by any chance?
4. Would love to go to OTR's, though I have only watched them in Youtube!

PS: Dont kill me for asking these questions, just pinned down from my mind!
Gopi - first come over and drive my Gypsy for a few OTRs and see if it really is your scene. Takes 2 OTRs to decide if you want in on the action or if you are happier on the road.

Then we decide...

Cheers!
Old 24th December 2010, 09:45   #259
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family and any discriminating or derogatory comment is uncalled for.
Dear bhp Support (& all ), you are right Personal attacks must be avoided, we are here to share knowledge & for the joy of learning something new . ( at least I am here for that purpose ).

My stay here has provided me with the latest views , ideas which are going around all over India ,( how I could have known Arka,UBS Sir, DB sir , Samurai, Spike ,Tejas,Santosh, 4x4 addict ,SStraveller , Allan,Jeepster & many more people I would have liked to name )

But I am asking an OPEN question to you & all .What to do if you find instigative &/or apearantly ignorant posts containing untrue facts by some members?( known to be learned enough & respected for that )

I saw some members doing this here. I cant/dont believe that thease people do not have the correct set of facts . But still I have abstained from replying or reporting to the bhp support .
It is so much annoying

Disscussions should be fact based & not ego based ,otherwise there is no point in spending time( & mind ) here

Sudarshan

I just spoke my mind , no offence to anyone please .
Old 24th December 2010, 10:06   #260
Senior - BHPian

Water

Hi DB Sir & Spike,

I was wondering what is the unprepared fording depth for the Thar CRDe?

And Since this is a 4WD for outdoor use, it would be useful.

something on the lines of

Offroad > Highlights > The Touareg. > Models > Welcome to Volkswagen Lebanon.

Regards,

Arka
Old 24th December 2010, 10:32   #261
Senior - BHPian

Ideally, I consider myself not so fit for posting here since I do not have plans to buy Thar now, only because I cannot afford any car at the very moment.

Given a choice, I will buy Thar as my primary car - I personally feel that Thar CRDe is an excellent product, with a very sweet price. IF I was not married, I would have brought it with my eyes closed, at the first given chance. Now since I cannot afford the luxury of taking such a decision without considering the home ministry, the chances of Thar entering my garage as my first car is very slim (My better half is sold on Punto), but deep down, I know that some day, I will own a Thar - may be it will happen next year, may be it will happen 10 years down the lane - It do not matter if it is today or tomorrow, Thar is the Jeep I want to own, and I know I will own one, one day.

One of my colleague is very keen on Thar, but, though he want it very badly, he cannot go for it sadly since this will be replacing his Indica - but i know for a fact that, some day, he will buy one for himself too.

By launching Thar, I think what MM did is answering the prayers of people like us - people who loves to own a Jeep, but do not have time and resources to built their own Jeep from an old jeep - by giving us a Jeep which we can live with, and can modify as and when time and purse allows.

Thank you Mahindra, Thank you Team-Bhp, Thank you Berham sir, thank you Spike, Thank you Vinod, Thank you Samurai, Arka, UBS sir and all other off-road enthusiasts - You give us something which we were dreaming about.
Old 24th December 2010, 10:41   #262
Senior - BHPian

I appreciate the patience shown by Mr. Behram Dhabar(+ Spike) with the eggs and brickbats thrown at them, with even some 'esteemed' members doubting their initiative to engage the 4x4 enthusiasts in the development of a new product. Behram Sir, please take a bow !

While the product maybe overpriced for some, Mahindra believes that it can sell Thar at this price and the market may prove them right or wrong.

Personally, I am quite interested in buying a Thar(whenever I am back in India), but I would like Mahindra to fit at least ABS/EBD on it in a quest to improve the Thar. But for that, it has to be a marketing success and I am crossing my fingers in the hope it will be.
Old 24th December 2010, 10:45   #263
Team-BHP Support

Re: Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
AFAIK, Thar has Manual Shift on Fly. Right? (I guess he was referring to electric shifter which may get damaged in water)
Electronic shifter i meant, Thar does have on the fly mechanical shifter which is more reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNSEL View Post
THAR prices Bengaluru.
Yippeeeeeee till i saw Spike's reply~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
^^ There is an error in the price list provided above. Thar DI 4wd is BS-III and not BS-IV as mentioned. Only CRDe comes with BS-IV.

Spike
make it BS4 naah, i know you can! he he

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
How did you know THAR is reliable vehicle? Do you preown one? Please do not make such hypothetical statements.
There are many, including fans and owners of M&M vehicles (old and new), who share the same feeling. Let me add its not only about M&M but Tata also, who generally come out with improved version 2. So they are on wait and watch mode and keenly looking at early adopters.

Quote:
So you are happy with spending on age age old product with just engine change. No ergonomics change and other change. Well go ahead. My best of luck with you.
Its out, unless they make a V2 all this will NOT happen now.

Quote:
Again your statement says reliable. How many times you have tested its reliability? Well man for 150 KMPH my sincere advice please do not do it in THAR. There are better car available for 150KMPH.
Yup i sincerely request the same, better safe than sorry! Thanks to our India traffic condition more than anything else. Yes they can do sustained high speeds, any modern diesel engine with decent tranny should.

Quote:
Man consumers and customers are very smart these days. They try to find value of each penny spend on product. However this is not applicable for certain people.
For 7.5 Lakh you will get i20 Asta CRDI with several Airbags and ABS with many other goodies. Not the product which based on very old design of Ladder Frame Chasis and with just changed engine. Atleast at this price there should be some R&D effort from M&M.
Passion and reason dont work hand in hand sometimes, so dont bother too much. Reason will take over, over a period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I know one fact. The stock thar that a few of us drove has clocked 2lac + kms with intentional abuse as witnessed by everyone during EXAMM! and hasn't had a breakdown.
Not a good example coz- Its an R&D vehicle run and maintained by M&M. So from cosmetics it might look junk, but how can you guarantee that it is not being redone completely mechanically after every stint?

And then how do you know its completely stock, i know few who will jump in and say am yapping on the same story. BUT am not sure black beauty and showroom Thar are the same. Maybe showroom Thar might be better also, who knows lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorBlades View Post
Have few questions to ask,
1. I have always driven sedans (Mamma Boy's car) and never been in any 4X4 machines or jeeps to say!
2. I dont own any cars as of now and seriously considering to get a Thar CRDe. My concerns are its missing hard top, a/c, everyday commuting. How much approx should i spend to get a hard top with a good a/c?
3. Will be buying this from my hard earned/saved salary so would like to keep the costs and maintenance low, is it feasible by any chance?
4. Would love to go to OTR's, though I have only watched them in Youtube!
Participate in few trips as passenger and then slowly decide. Its a funny sport, some hate it, some love it. We have seen many people who have dropped in for 1 or 2 outings and suddenly disappeared. So use your head and make a slow decision.

2) AC keep 30-35 at the most and HT another 40. Or just wait M&M is working on this.

3) If you dont abuse it, it will be as cheap or as expensive like any other modern diesel vehicle.

4) Start off as passenger, make many trips then jump in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast View Post
Am thinking How many would buy Thar as a primary car ? Obviously apart from those who own estates or those who stay in hilly regions. Rs 7.5 L for a second car is quite pricey. so normally its those guys who have 15 to 20L worth primary would go for thar. On the flip side, with the hard top and a/c it makes city driving, parking easy with 5.5 m turning radius. You dont have to bother about reckless 2 wheelers. Thar is an interesting choice.
Exactly if it was the same price for AC and HT/Alloys then M&M seriously would have problems achieving production numbers lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
I saw some members doing this here. I cant/dont believe that thease people do not have the correct set of facts . But still I have abstained from replying or reporting to the bhp support .
Sincere request, DO NOT keep quite, either you reply with facts or report the posts so that support team looks into it. Ignoring a problem or facts being misrepresented never helped anyone.

I love M&M for bringing out this product BUT on the other hand i criticize them also, very hard. Coz i think (partly atleast) thats why there are here, to get inputs, feedbacks, criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
I was wondering what is the unprepared fording depth for the Thar CRDe?
I have asked this question in many different ways, no reply's yet. I got the same info from other manufacturer's, right at the dealership level lol
Old 24th December 2010, 10:58   #264
BHPian

The first drive review of the Thar is out on motoroids.

Surprising the TBHP was not the first with it, considering how closely we are linked with the development of this vehicle. Sure,we've had some previews of the vehicle from OTR's and such, but those were pre-production prototypes and not the final product. Apparently M&M had taken out auto journalists to Vasai on the day of the launch (21st Dec) itself. Weren't any TBHPians invited?

Anyway, we have to make do with some pics courtesy motoroids:

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-mahindratharfirstdrivereview19.jpg

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-mahindratharfirstdrivereview20.jpg

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-mahindratharfirstdrivereview23.jpg

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-mahindratharfirstdrivereview25.jpg

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-rm2010970.jpg

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-rm2010977.jpg

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-rm2010984.jpg

Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!-rm20109781.jpg
Old 24th December 2010, 10:59   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
We are seriously contemplating it...and yes it is from the Rubicon. My mistake. We are working on the mold design and should have something by end of the year. Need exact dimensions though so if I have no choice will have to go to the dealership today with a measuring tape and notebook.

We have spoken to an IIT professor and he says it is very doable - only thing is the interior finish will not be the same as the pics as only one side (the outside) of the part touches the mold for a clean smooth finish. We will have to look at options of foam or felt padding for the inside so it will look like a regular car roof. Suggestions welcome.

Manas

As long as you are able to get the fit right & finish on the outside, the inside finish is easy to achieve. Any good car upholsteror will be able to do that. A friend who restores vintage cars professionally gets the roof linings made for any & every car. So that would be the least of my worries.

Do keep us updated.

All the best !!

Cheers
Old 24th December 2010, 11:02   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is why, it is one of most admired vehicle in its class in India.
Same is with Thar..
Old 24th December 2010, 11:05   #267
BHPian

I see the bandana guy digging gold.
Old 24th December 2010, 11:52   #268
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone find something abnormal with the number plate or is it just me?

If the number plate is going to be there, then god only can help it. M&M should have known better !
Old 24th December 2010, 12:22   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhatesmyguts View Post
I see the bandana guy digging gold.
Yup, them off-roading guys are known for going to hard-to-reach places. Wading through slush and slime is for them a favored pastime!
Old 24th December 2010, 12:25   #270
Team-BHP Support

Arree baba ^^^ all that is for CMVR and other regulation purpose. Once you buy and register its upto you where you place the number plate with proper fonts and illumination.

Interesting point to note in that report is the ride quality at rear, so reign in your expectations when you go for a test drive

EDIT: Whatever said and done, the joy of buying a spanking new jeep from showroom does excite your senses or what?!

<Bite's his fingers hard to get back to reality>

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th December 2010 at 12:27.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks