Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2010, 15:49   #331
BANNED

Re: Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
@Tejas: My point is simple as I am not able to digest more than half century old vehicle with new engine.

Any manufacturer who does this are not good. But this is exceptions and M&M still carrying forward more than half century old design.

Hello Anuj mishra , if this above is true to be believed ,can you please Substantiate/prove this claim of yours ?
Not with hearsay or like I heard someone saying ,but with true & correct set of facts .

One more question , Have you seen the actual Thar CRDe or driven it or seen the rolling chassis ( with all mechanicals attached but no body shell on top of it )

I think you have made the above statement by only looking at the upper body of the vehicle & that too in pictures , am I right ?

Sudarshan

@ DKG , one more example Land Rover Defender , which looks similar to the old series vehicle but completly different with chassis & mechanicals .Just like the Thar which only looks like the MM540 or cj 5/7 but with totally different set of mechanicals.

Last edited by Sudarshan : 26th December 2010 at 16:01.
Old 26th December 2010, 16:01   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Hilux and Innova is based on same platform of IMV- International Multipurpose Vehicle. Infact the Innova engine (D4D) and the chassis was tested on a Hilux double cab before Innova launch in 2005. Indian Fortuner chassis is a differant one altogether.

Warm Regards
Grace, I think you are mistaken. DKG is right about the Innova, Hilux, Fortuner. However, let's please not go OT.

My concern is ergonomics. I recently tried a Commander and it was a rude shock after driving Tatas (incl. Sumo, 207) and Marutis (incl. Gypsy) for years. I am 6'2" and the angle at which the clutch was positioned taught me another pose in yoga. Not to mention the steering position (off-centre) and also more truck-like.

We had to ford some streams and a river (wide and shallow), and in the process managed to get the electricals wet and something short-circuited. Luckily we managed to cross over to the other side before the engine stalled.

Are these issues addressed in the Thar - Clutch (I presume it is because I see a different setup) and Steering position (which I don't know)? How can the electricals be kept water-proof?

Last edited by discoverwild : 26th December 2010 at 16:03.
Old 26th December 2010, 16:36   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - I am copying my comments on the Thar / Gypsy thread here. This is for your information, please.

And, by the way, I AM LOOKING AT THAR TO GIVE ME SERIOUS VOLUMES. IT IS NOT JUST A BRAND BUILDING VEHICLE.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Jaggu - let me disclose the 'real" reasons why I did Thar. Because I knew from 2002 (when Scorpio was launched), that it could be done. The right time came, so I did it. I had a brand new January 1995 purchased red CL340, MH01P8300. I was forced to sell it because I needed money to make "upfront" payment to a builder for my Pune house. I cried that day as I wanted my car back at any cost. I had highway cruising issue on my CL340 due to the 5.38:1 ratio, therefore I had changed it to 4.27:1 which made it an excellent highway cruiser, which I missed after I sold it. The day I sold it, before giving it away, I had taken it to a fire temple in Mumbai (I am a Bawa, you know). That day, inside the fire temple, I had made a silent agreement with myself that one day I will make a 4*4 vehicle which will sprint like a cheetah and also provide amazing off road capability. Believe you me, M&M is the only organization where I could convert this dream of mine into reality. Thank you M&M. So, what now?

NOW, AS A FINAL STEP TO THE REALIZATION OF MY DREAM, I MUST PHYSICALLY OWN A BRAND NEW THAR CRDe AS MY PERSONAL CAR. AFTER IT IS REGISTERED AS MH15 SOMETHING, THEN I WILL DO WHATEVER I WANT TO DO WITH IT. EVERYTHING IS COMPLETELY READY IN MY HEAD SINCE 2002.

TODAY, MY PERSONAL CAR IS MH15CM6341, THE FASTEST BOLERO VLX IN INDIA. I REGULARLY DO MUMBAI / NASIK IN 2 HOURS AND 7 MINUTES AND I DON'T EVEN PUSH IT.

THE THAR WILL BE WAY FASTER! . THINK GUYS, THINK OUT OF THE BOX.

Would I even consider buying a brand new Gypsy? In 1986 (24 years ago), Maruti had offered me a brand new Gypsy in dark green colour for 1,13,000 rupees on road in Mumbai (I did not even have 13000 rupees in 1986, let alone 1,13,000 rupees). Today, they are selling a later version of it for more than 6 lakhs. And it is not even diesel. That too a long wheel base version with extended overhang? They don't sell the original short wheel base in India at all (they can't - 7 seats, remember?). NO WAY! Now you can decide.

And by the way, if at all you become crazy enough to ever sell the DWARF, "SIRJI, HUM KATAAR MEIN HAIN JI"! But if you ever sell it, you will regret it, like I am still regretting for the last 14 years, since I have sold my CL340.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 26th December 2010 at 16:37.
Old 26th December 2010, 18:07   #334
BANNED

@ Dhabhar Behram sir , my salute

For sharing some words from the heart , ( I have gone through this so I understand )

Thats what makes you stand out from the 'crowd '

Sudarshan
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________

@ Dear all , the man speaks his heart , treats us equally , shares like brothers ,( being so senior,knowledgible & having a senior post ) he deserves a 'fair' treatment atleast. please ?

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 26th December 2010 at 18:09.
Old 26th December 2010, 19:06   #335
Senior - BHPian

Like most youngsters (18-25) in India. I too have a passion for a jeep , The Thar fills in that exact gap
But I'm particular about certain features of a car such as ABS and maybe a hard top(not really as you can easily get a coach builder to customize one for you) and some features such as immobilizer(i think it's available as an accessory).
Once these criteria is met(regardless of price) You have a customer for the Thar who is going to use it as his daily drive and not an occasional outing vehicle.

Mr Behram don't get upset with what people are discussing here.
The TATA fan boys obviously are bashing it solely because it's a Mahindra. The Gypsy Fan boys are bashing it because they can only dream of an off road vehicle with the Torque and FE and the added benefit's of a cheaper fuel.
The Rest of us "Jeep" fans are really exited about the launch of the jeep(Thar) since its 10(??) year gap.

Last edited by vinaydas : 26th December 2010 at 19:11.
Old 26th December 2010, 20:26   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
I think you have made the above statement by only looking at the upper body of the vehicle & that too in pictures , am I right ?
You still not understood my point. I was talking about its aesthetics. My family is using Mahindra since 40 years back. My father was in Forest service and we always had Mahindra of Willys Jeep at home and My Uncle was in Coal India and same case was with him also. Since 80s I am seeing this vehicle and there is absolutely no change. I can believe before 1994 there was closed market in India for automobiles and whatever manufacturer used to offer consumer used to take it without saying anything.

Post 1994 market was open and it was open market with many manufacturers in the market and it helped many value addition to their existing product and many products overhauled ground up for stay in competition. Now it is consumers market. Consumers choice dictate manufacturing decision. Believe me apart from profession offroaders there are many who will actually use their vehicle in daily chores.

Mechanicals overhauls are one thing there are many thing that attracts the vehicle to common man. It may have satisfied your wish but there are many who are not.
Old 26th December 2010, 20:38   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post

Post 1994 market was open and it was open market with many manufacturers in the market and it helped many value addition to their existing product and many products overhauled ground up for stay in competition. Now it is consumers market. Consumers choice dictate manufacturing decision. Believe me apart from profession offroaders there are many who will actually use their vehicle in daily chores.

Mechanicals overhauls are one thing there are many thing that attracts the vehicle to common man. It may have satisfied your wish but there are many who are not.
Since you yourself are saying that its consumer's market and their choice dictates manufacturer decision, then why jump the gun and predict fate of the product when its not even been launched fully.

Unless you are clairvoyant, please wait and watch. And as you said the consumer's final decision made with the cheque book will decide whether the product is a failure or not.
Old 26th December 2010, 20:51   #338
BANNED

I think there should have been one more model of THAR other than DI and CRDe. A model superior to CRDe ie with many more goodies like AC, Hardtop, ABS, Airbags, Power windows etc etc is needed.

THAR DI- For rural use.
THAR CRDe 4X4- Off roaders
THAR CRDe 4X2 with more goodies- City use

What I feel is not many are happy with the features of THAR CRDe. We Bhpians are happy. But not many outside this Forum.
Old 26th December 2010, 21:41   #339
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNSEL View Post
I completely agree. Hopefully something like this should come out !!

Anirudh sometimes its good to have all this bashing. If the product has intrinsic value many will buy it anyway. If it doesn't the mfg's will atleast have a lot to think about. So people's perceptions, opinions, all this matters.

Further making the Thar a success is not an easy game. The launch of the vehicle is a starting point. M&M may need to tweak the lineup offering to leverage to a full success

The Indian auto scene is changing and dramatically. People's perception of value is changing. Its a tough call for any mfg to stay tuned to what's the flavour of the season.

But this is healthy and no one really should get defensive when a few choose to be critical.

I see the Thar as a big leap forward for Mahindra from the days of Major and the 540/550. This is a car that drives and feels nothing like these oldies felt like. Some similarities remain. Its an exciting future. I am personally delighted that India finally has a capable offroader which you can drive like a car on highways in comfort and also enjoy the great outdoors offroad.

I'm pretty sure M&M will keep tweaking the product till they have something which is successful as a Bolero or Scorpio. And why not.

Let people ask for things. Just remember there is no free lunch in life. You don't get ABS and Airbags and gizmos in a 2.4 litre CRDi engine car at 5 lacs. That's absurd. And no one will pay 10 lacs for all the goodies either. So lets see

Maybe a Thar without 4x4 but with aircon and hardtop and electric windows and locking is a interesting option. Smart colours and a trendy interior.

Ultimately our reality is carved out of our dreams !

Last edited by DKG : 26th December 2010 at 21:54.
Old 27th December 2010, 01:32   #340
BHPian

Since this is a launch/pricing thread can we have a show of hands on how many are planning to pick it up in the next 6-12 months?

I am going to wait it out for till 2012 rolls in for various reasons, of which the financial angle is a major reason, second is that I am not too too keen spending that amount on a 1.0 product.

That is what the logic says, but I have a feeling that if I see this vehicle in the flesh and like it, logic is not going to be of much help. So no TDs for me for a while. Will wait to see the first ownership reports roll in and hope I can stay 'logical' till the time is right.
Old 27th December 2010, 05:52   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNSEL View Post
I think there should have been one more model of THAR other than DI and CRDe. A model superior to CRDe ie with many more goodies like AC, Hardtop, ABS, Airbags, Power windows etc etc is needed.

THAR DI- For rural use.
THAR CRDe 4X4- Off roaders

What I feel is not many are happy with the features of THAR CRDe. We Bhpians are happy. But not many outside this Forum.
This would be a dream come true. If nothing else, a 2 Wheel Drive variant with at least a factory fitted HT and AC. I hope the forum members from Mahindra are taking note.

The money for the Thar has been kept aside since many months and I hope they launch such a variant very soon. If not, THAR CRDe as available as of now it'll be!

I hope all the accessories in their accessory list are readily available at all times and that their technicians are well trained to fix the same on our Thar properly.

Last edited by Thar : 27th December 2010 at 06:03.
Old 27th December 2010, 08:11   #342
BHPian

For the last two days I am trying to download the E brochure of Thar CRDe,MDi but still not.

http://www.mahindrathar.com/pdf/thar_broucher.zip

They proudly launched a vehicle but not able to give a brochure ? Again them proved they accidently build a Scorpio but still a Willys-Overland assembler.

Sudarshan,

I think you are expecting too much from Mahindra and I am sure you are not going to buy a Thar with in a year.

- Sreejesh
Old 27th December 2010, 08:40   #343
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
For the last two days I am trying to download the E brochure of Thar CRDe,MDi but still not.

http://www.mahindrathar.com/pdf/thar_broucher.zip
Wait until the web designer can spell the word brochure.

Regarding Thar, it is best to take the wait and see approach. I am going to wait, see what comes out on the AC + HT front. I am in no hurry.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2010, 08:54   #344
BHPian

Just went to India Garage on Sunday and took a look at the Thar.

To be honest, from the discussion on this forum, I expected a beat up machine which looks like the blue jeeps with white roplas' tops that are used by the govt.

I came away impressed by the fit and finish - not saying it was great - but saying I was impressed - nice paint job, the door opened and closed well, the seats were comfortable - only the rear door was jammed and would not open or close. The soft-top fit quite well and was sturdy enough for me - except for the rear flap....would have been happier if it could seal completely from the inside, as when I drive alone don't want any eunuchs getting in at signal lights. The gears slotted in well (the engine was off). The one thing I found irritating was the wiper stalk was wedged in the dash board and so made reaching in and moving up and down very difficult.

The sales agent was very unhelpful and could not give me any information. I asked her if warrant would be void if I fit my own roll cage since she did not know anything about a roll cage - she had no clue. I also asked about the A/C, which she said they would fit at the showroom before delivery itself. She did not have any details on if the warranty would stand for a HT as well.

Have been told that the test drives start this week and they will give me a call one the new TD vehicle arrives. Have now registered at the dealer and online for the TD. Lets see how soon they call.

Thanks,
Manas
Old 27th December 2010, 09:01   #345
BHPian

Yes I am going to wait. I don't want to be a test specimen to mahindra.I don't what to hear "THIS IS THE REAL THAR" after few months of delivery.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks