Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2010, 20:41   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!

I think Mahindra took a right step by not introducing the THAR CRDe in White. The front end of the Thar resembles Marshal and Pik-Up, which is one of the most popular people carrier in some of the Northern states like Haryana, Rajasthan etc. Marshal is used as a alternative to mini Buses in parts of these states where public transportation is not good. Resemblance to these models that too in White means high risk of being flagged down at every Police post and people jumping in front of the vehicle asking for a lift.

Try taking a White Thar to an OTR to Rural areas in this part of India and you'll know what i mean.
Old 27th December 2010, 20:43   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
^^ Speedy who will fit the condenser, compressor, RD bottle etc. then? Will the dealer do that for free? I suggest you have a word with the sales guy once again and clarify on this.

Spike

With all due respect - if the dealer said the A.C comes fitted, then all the things you mentioned are part of the package. You cannot be running an A.C. without those components - right ?

This sure is an enigma !!

Cheers
Old 27th December 2010, 20:50   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
^^ Speedy who will fit the condenser, compressor, RD bottle etc. then? Will the dealer do that for free? I suggest you have a word with the sales guy once again and clarify on this.

Spike
My personal choice is, i dont want an AC in the car. The sales person said it comes with the car dealer fitted at no extra cost and i reluctantly said ok. The purpose of this car is only for offroad activities and open, so the purpose of the AC is defeated anyways.
Old 27th December 2010, 20:57   #379
Senior - BHPian

@Sid,

could you please confirm how this CRDe is in white colour? since its not suppose to be available in white, as per the website!
Old 27th December 2010, 20:59   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
With all due respect - if the dealer said the A.C comes fitted, then all the things you mentioned are part of the package. You cannot be running an A.C. without those components - right ?
Ricky, you did not understand my query. I was asking abut the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
My personal choice is, i dont want an AC in the car. The sales person said it comes with the car dealer fitted at no extra cost and i reluctantly said ok. The purpose of this car is only for offroad activities and open, so the purpose of the AC is defeated anyways.
Ok fine .

Spike
Old 27th December 2010, 21:05   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Please understand that what Spike is wanting to tell you is that even though installing AC is a child's play in most vehicles, its not exactly the same in a newly developed vehicle which runs with ECM.

Few of the issues that might be faced are
  1. Fitting a condenser coil in the right position so that it doesn't lead to engine overheating. In the case of THAR, the space available is less due to the presence of Intercooler and also the air flow might be affected due to lesser exposed area.
  2. Since this is being done for the first time, what would be the appropriate quantity of gas depending upon the length of the circuit. Unless you get it right, it might be an Achilles Heel for the life of the vehicle.
  3. Since the THAR runs on the ECM, the A/C needs to be incorporated into the ECM so that malfunctioning in A/C can be detected with the scan tool.

So I would wait and watch for factory fitted AC and then may be get retrofitted later rather than go for dealer botch job

Cheers
Old 27th December 2010, 21:14   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
  • Since the THAR runs on the ECM, the A/C needs to be incorporated into the ECM so that malfunctioning in A/C can be detected with the scan tool.
^^I agree + if the ECM is not connected to the AC, How will it increase the idle speed to compensate for the increased load of the AC that will lower the Idle speed?
Old 27th December 2010, 21:36   #383
BANNED

Quote:
  1. Since the THAR runs on the ECM, the A/C needs to be incorporated into the ECM so that malfunctioning in A/C can be detected with the scan tool.
So I would wait and watch for factory fitted AC and then may be get retrofitted later rather than go for dealer botch job

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^I agree + if the ECM is not connected to the AC, How will it increase the idle speed to compensate for the increased load of the AC that will lower the Idle speed?

Sorry to digress OT, is this valid for a Gypsy as well? In all the posts about Gypsy, nobody ever mentioned integrating the ECM with the A/C.
Old 27th December 2010, 21:37   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please understand that what Spike is wanting to tell you is that even though installing AC is a child's play in most vehicles, its not exactly the same in a newly developed vehicle which runs with ECM.
Arrey baba, my query was on the cost and nothing else.

Spike

PS- I didn't tell anything
Old 27th December 2010, 21:38   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Sorry to digress OT, is this valid for a Gypsy as well? In all the posts about Gypsy, nobody ever mentioned integrating the ECM with the A/C.
Yes its equally valid for Gypsy as well. The ECM has to detect load and accordingly increase air - fuel mixture to keep the idle RPM same.
Old 27th December 2010, 21:50   #386
BHPian

Hi Spikey,

The launch Thar CRDe has customized foot boards, Insect Mesh and roll over bars with the side facing seats. I visited the showroom and took a look at the stock Thar CRDe and noticed that ther footboard is different (full length). The dealer confirmed that only Front Bull bar, Roll over bar and alloys will be offered, however not the side foot boards like the launch vehicles or the insect mesh.

Also, the dealer mentioned that all of these will be offered as a package and not separately.

I was wondering if the front facing rear seat will also be amde available shortly?

Request you to please confirm if we can get the side foot boards (like that of the launch vehicle), electric winch, front facing rear seats and the roll bar as optional fittings only?

Regards

Yikes!
Old 27th December 2010, 21:59   #387
Senior - BHPian

Questions for Spike.
Is the parts catalogue out? Can I order the necessary parts for converting the TC of my Bolero and Armada Grand to manual selection?

Also, could you define what is meant by 'shift on the fly'?

Regards
Sutripta

PS. When are you coming to Calcutta/ NE?
Old 27th December 2010, 22:19   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
Request you to please confirm if we can get the side foot boards (like that of the launch vehicle), electric winch, front facing rear seats and the roll bar as optional fittings only?
Yikes, those are "accessories" and not fitments from the factory. You can buy them if you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Questions for Spike.
Is the parts catalogue out? Can I order the necessary parts for converting the TC of my Bolero and Armada Grand to manual selection?

Also, could you define what is meant by 'shift on the fly'?

Regards
Sutripta

PS. When are you coming to Calcutta/ NE?
Yes, why were you waiting for the parts catalog to come out?

Shift on the fly- While moving from 2WD to 4WD at low speeds, you need not bring the vehicle to a complete halt, in other words you can shift on the move.

Spike

PS- Planning for a trip very soon, will keep you posted.

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 27th December 2010 at 22:29.
Old 27th December 2010, 22:28   #389
BHPian

Uff everyday (and night) I am checking this thread and official test drive forum 500 times to check out the test drive report. Motoroid test drive was not very detailed. GTO, sidindiaca please save us. I am looking forward to the same to convince my wife that even though it does not have AC or in that case can't be locked properly still a very good buy and we should sell our dzire to buy this.
Please.
Old 27th December 2010, 23:14   #390
BHPian

I was told that the Thar will be officially launched in Bangalore tomorrow and the whole list of accessories, fitments and parts will be made available from tomorrow.

There will be 2 Thars on display at the launch in Bangalore, one the standard stock car and one similar to the one that was at the launch in Mumbai on 21st Dec, showcasing the roll cage, bull bar and alloys.

The test drive for the Thar CRDe will be available from tomorrow at the Bangalore show room.

may be that's one of the reasons Mr. Vinod Nookla will be in Bangalore tomorrow.

The Thar CRDe is impressive with an excellent paint job anf finish. The parts are sure susceptible to rust as the display model in the Bangalore showroom already is showing some specs of rust especially at the bonette hooks and the bolt heads and body interfaces (observe when you check out the display vehicle) nevertheless the Thar CRDe has been worth the wait.

I'm happy it's finally availabe to us. I would love to check out the Rocky Beige color. Anyone spotted one in this color, if possible can Spikey post some pictures?

Yikes!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks