Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2010, 10:44   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nims View Post
I think the thar is overpriced. considering you could get a jeep wrangler for 10lakhs with all options. fully loaded with winch et all would have been a good buy for 6.5 lakhs imo. I was going to buy the thar but the price of the extras is putting me off. i will never spend so much money for a vehicle which caters only to the purist in me!

Where can one get a new fully loaded Jeep Wrangler for 10L ?? Obviously not in India. The only way to get a Wrangler here is from an Embassy auction - right ?

Cheers
Old 28th December 2010, 10:51   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Where can one get a new fully loaded Jeep Wrangler for 10L ?? Obviously not in India. The only way to get a Wrangler here is from an Embassy auction - right ?
Unless you live abroad, you wont get one at this price. Even if it is an Embassy auction it wont be a new car and still wont be at this price. There would be a duty involved as well. The other main thing is finding a Wrangler with the various Embassy's.
Old 28th December 2010, 10:53   #408
Team-BHP Support

OT: ^^^ to give benefit of the doubt i think he meant the price abroad for Wrangler and then compared the pre-historic version that we have, atleast body style wise
Old 28th December 2010, 10:59   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quoting from the MDi thread.

Is Thar - V521 doing rounds in Bangalore if so what time at SKS or other locations? Atleast we can TD that vehicle for sure.

Quote:
Therefore, yours truly, along with a certain creation, popularly known to all of you as "--V521" will be lurking somewhere in New Delhi on the 28th and in Jaipur on the 29th. Similarly, Vinod should be spotted somewhere in Bangalore on the 28th. PM us. Let's make it interesting. .

Best regards,Behram Dhabhar
India garage just keeps pushing the date for the TD vehicle to arrive.

Fact or Fiction ~ you decide - India Garage: 15 bookings for the CRDe done and two full payments as of Friday.
Old 28th December 2010, 11:03   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
Here's a pic of what I think is the rocky beige thar from indian auto blog

http://indianautosblog.com/wp-conten...ra-Thar-16.jpg
Yes, that is Rocky Beige.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Remember not everyone will find your girlfriend or wife desirable just because you did !!
Very well said.

Spike
Old 28th December 2010, 11:07   #411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
OT: ^^^ to give benefit of the doubt i think he meant the price abroad for Wrangler and then compared the pre-historic version that we have, atleast body style wise
Yes that is exactly what i meant. Even with our exorbitant taxes wrangler is a very good vehicle for that price with proper A/C( i used to drive one in the gulf). still i hope that the thar does justice to the price tag and if so it will definitely be my 5th car and my weekend getaway!
Old 28th December 2010, 11:11   #412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Very well said.

Spike
Saar, why don't you answer the questions asked rather than just saying "Good Statement" or giving half cryptic answers. I can't carry on deciphering your cryptic answers anymore .

Cheers
Old 28th December 2010, 11:18   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Nims i'd like to take you up on this offer. A 2010 Jeep Wrangler for Rs 10 lakhs and that too with all options and that too in India. Please sir, do give me a shout on any day of the week and i shall have someone come over to any city and pick it up. I am sure there are many more who would like to get one too.
Me to man, me too. on a more serious note i think i have seen an ad for a 2007 wrangler for around 7 lakhs. will PM you with the details once i find it.
Old 28th December 2010, 11:35   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes that is exactly what i meant. Even with our exorbitant taxes wrangler is a very good vehicle for that price with proper A/C( i used to drive one in the gulf). still i hope that the thar does justice to the price tag and if so it will definitely be my 5th car and my weekend getaway!
Nims i used to own a 97 wrangler tj in Australia fully loaded and like you mention the cost was under Rs 10 lakhs. The down side here is LHD rule and the high duty and taxes. This would take the cost above the Rs 10 lakhs that you mentioned.

Quote:
Me to man, me too. on a more serious note i think i have seen an ad for a 2007 wrangler for around 7 lakhs. will PM you with the details once i find it.
Please do check as a 07 Model would not be allowed in LHD and if it is converted to a RHD it is useless. The other thing is if the car is an ex Embassy car, then duty would apply if the car is not yet Indian registered.
Old 28th December 2010, 11:38   #415
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Buying a second hand wrangler and bashing it around on OTRs will see it rotting into the ground in some garage in 1yr. Only thing you can do with this machine is drive around in town in shtyle . Unless you have a deep enough pocket to import spares/parts all the time.
Old 28th December 2010, 11:48   #416
BHPian

Anyways we are deviating from the THAR here. I was going through the thread and saw that the wiring harness is equipped for the a/c and an outside mechanic cannot fit the a/c simply, then i saw this in the motoroid review the following
"Mahindra have equipped the Thar with power steering, and have made the cabin A/C ready. By That Mahindra mean that they have provided functional blowers, temperature control knobs and fan speed controls. You can easily get an AC retrofitted quickly, but Mahindra won’t do it for you.". could somebody throw some light on the subject.
Old 28th December 2010, 13:33   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
With all due respect - if the dealer said the A.C comes fitted, then all the things you mentioned are part of the package. You cannot be running an A.C. without those components - right ?
Spike's question is who will pay for these components? M&M is not supplying and dealer claims it is free. So guess the dealer is paying for it? I think the dealer maybe offering the fitment charges for free and not the added components which will have to be borne by the buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post

The Thar CRDe is impressive with an excellent paint job anf finish. The parts are sure susceptible to rust as the display model in the Bangalore showroom already is showing some specs of rust especially at the bonette hooks and the bolt heads and body interfaces (observe when you check out the display vehicle) nevertheless the Thar CRDe has been worth the wait.
Hi Yikes:

Is the rust problem you noticed on the CRDe variant or MDI variant? The reason I am asking is that both are manufactured in different plants and the CRDe goes through a better paint treatment along the scorpio lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
ECM has the control logic and harness pin reserved for AC switch and yes the fitment can be done only at the production level and max at dealer level and nobody else below the dealer level can do it. The dealer has the access to program the ECM in order to enable or disable the AC.
I don't think ECM needs to be reprogrammed for AC fitment. Can you please elaborate on why ECM needs to be reprogrammed for AC? Is it for the idle control when AC is switched on?
Old 28th December 2010, 13:39   #418
Senior - BHPian

Wont the ECM be programed to accommodate AC fitment and sense the additional strain on the engine?
I dont think remapping or reprogramming would be necessary? Spike?

Nims - You can fit a after market AC right now if you want now.

Or wait for about 4-6 months when the AC kit is provided by Mahindra itself. Fitted under warranty.

Last edited by IronWolf : 28th December 2010 at 13:43.
Old 28th December 2010, 15:02   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
A silly question ? Does everyone have to pay 'lifetime' road tax during registration of a new vehicle ? For instance once you pay 'lifetime' road tax and shift states then you have to renew road tax according to the rates prevailing over there. So can one opt for 2 year tax for the Thar in KA ?
If you are Central Govt employee then you can pay the Road tax Annually. I know this because my BIL who is a central govt employee bought his I10 and is paying Road tax annually.
Old 28th December 2010, 15:32   #420
BHPian

DB Sir / Spike / Vinod,

Please consider 'Jawa Brown' as one of the colors; it blends very well with body design and will have a distinctive appeal on the aesthetics front.

I visualise a upcoming white colored hardtop and the combination of Jawa Brown body with a white top with black fenders and black thrown-in on head-light grills etc...would look damm good.

Cheers
Pavan
Closed Thread

Most Viewed