Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2010, 15:06   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
For the record- A dentist here in Coonoor is mightly impressed, yes a dentist. He is waiting for the TD at Coimbatore.
Another dentist? These dentists you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Imagine driving BLR-Mumbai at 140Kmph on time for the off-road, and on the trail the CV Joint Snaps, or the Rack & Pinion Steering strips, The Chicks will definitely have a field day.
Arka, other things also snap in trails, remember Avalakonda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Cyrus,

Can you explain the above statement.

1) The NEF 2.49CRDe (mHAWK) has the same Block and Crank Case of the NEF2.49TCIC, which is exported on Bolero Camper's with Solid Axle & Leaf Spring.

2) Also in the IFS setup the Differential Pumpkin moves slightly towards the centre of the chassis, where as in a Dana 44 the Leaf Sping saddle is cast with the pumpkin, so the front differential will move towards the RHS Chassis Rail.
Let me try:-

1) Both crankcases look same but there are differences in them. I just had a look at the drawings of the crankcase and oil sump of both these models in question, and they are different. Only thing I can state is the NEF variant is more bulky.

2) Arka, your observation regarding the movement of pumpkin is correct. Ironically, the movement mentioned by you translates into 2.1 mm (nominal). For an assembly of this size a dimension of 2.1 mm will be fired even due to the tolerance stack up built into the design. So that movement is inconsequential.

Spike
Old 31st December 2010, 16:44   #512
Senior - BHPian

I did have the privilage of spending alot of quality time with the Thar and it did leave me with a lot of doubts and the biggest one was IS THE PRICE JUSTIFIED for this ?. I would have to say if the car delivered to the customer is anything like the car i spent time with then a BIG NO.
Old 31st December 2010, 16:47   #513
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Fact is, the Thar addresses the needs of a larger market segment than a hard-core offroader. Is the front IFS a deal breaker to guys like Arka? You bet. Would I trade my Classic for a Thar? Over my dead body.

However, we have to understand that 90% of the market out there is willing to accept a vehicle that gives away 20% in offroading prowess, for 200% better on-road manners. I can confirm that the Thar drives like no other Mahindra Jeep on the road. ZERO turbo-lag, surprisingly good ride quality, 5 speed box with overdrive and a nippy power steering for the city. Those who want a Jeep that's easier to live with, will choose a Thar 99 times out of 100 over an MM540 / Classic. Hey, it can even offroad 80% of the way that a solid axle can. And believe me, for the masses, that's more capability than they'd ever need.

Then, look at it this way : The Thar offers a package that didn't exist before. If you want a harsh, albeit competent, off-roader, go buy a brand new Gypsy. Spend a little more and you can even get yourself a Gurkha.

Lastly, offroading is NOT a cheap sport. I blow away a lot of money on my Jeep year after year. Even if the 6 lakh rupee Thar had a solid axle front, I'd much rather go and abuse my ol' Jeep on the rocks than a shiny new one.

From the business perspective, M&M have made the right decision. From the perspective of MOST car buyers in India, the Thar's independent front is more suited. I continue to insist that the Thar is a winner.

P.S. Is the Thar perfect? Hell NO! I simply do not understand in which century Mahindra lives in. The fit, finish & ergonomics are APPALLING.
Old 31st December 2010, 17:18   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fact is, the Thar addresses the needs of a larger market segment than a hard-core offroader.
Can't agree more. Had posted something similar earlier and it is an easy one to take a crack at. Round up the numbers of all the OTR junta everyone knows about here and see if that figure makes sense even as total sales for 2-years for M&M. Thus it kind of makes sense to address the wannabe-macho-city-male and adventurous-traveller segment as the primary TG.

That said, the package is a disappointment. For me, at least, the kind of money it would require to deck it up properly would make sense only as a primary vehicle. The only thing that can change that impression would be how the vehicle is to own over an extended period of time. If it performs well and is trouble-free - i.e, if it becomes a bit of a legend - a lot will be forgiven and rather quickly.
Old 31st December 2010, 17:18   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fact is, the Thar addresses the needs of a larger market segment than a hard-core offroader. Is the front IFS a deal breaker to guys like Arka? You bet. Would I trade my Classic for a Thar? Over my dead body.

However, we have to understand that 90% of the market out there is willing to accept a vehicle that gives away 20% in offroading prowess, for 200% better on-road manners. I can confirm that the Thar drives like no other Mahindra Jeep on the road. ZERO turbo-lag, surprisingly good ride quality, 5 speed box with overdrive and a nippy power steering for the city. Those who want a Jeep that's easier to live with, will choose a Thar 99 times out of 100 over an MM540 / Classic. Hey, it can even offroad 80% of the way that a solid axle can. And believe me, for the masses, that's more capability than they'd ever need.

Then, look at it this way : The Thar offers a package that didn't exist before. If you want a harsh, albeit competent, off-roader, go buy a brand new Gypsy. Spend a little more and you can even get yourself a Gurkha.

Lastly, offroading is NOT a cheap sport. I blow away a lot of money on my Jeep year after year. Even if the 6 lakh rupee Thar had a solid axle front, I'd much rather go and abuse my ol' Jeep on the rocks than a shiny new one.

From the business perspective, M&M have made the right decision. From the perspective of MOST car buyers in India, the Thar's independent front is more suited. I continue to insist that the Thar is a winner.

P.S. Is the Thar perfect? Hell NO! I simply do not understand in which century Mahindra lives in. The fit, finish & ergonomics are APPALLING.
with the points you have put in.

I am not talking offroading at all, she did well even with the HT tyres that she had on. A hand full of people will offroad with the Thar. The bulk of the buyer would use the car on tarmac or at the most dirt roads. The car is perfectly suited to drive you through effortlessly and in comfort. This car is a winner for the ones who have the money and want a hassle free experience.

My point of the price being justified for a normal person with the kind of fit and finish of the car. There are things i noticed, that made me feel a local garage guy would do a better job.

Now if you ask me I would be spending 7 lakhs to buy it and then another few lakhs more to get it to my liking for offroading. There would be many things that i would be removing from the car and yes the warrenty would be void for sure. I do offroad with the fortuner, so in comparrision the Thar is easier on the pockets.

Last edited by speedy : 31st December 2010 at 17:24.
Old 31st December 2010, 20:40   #516
BHPian

Yesterday, I was so sad because I sold my lancer and My Jeep. Lancer went with the new owner (Tear drops came from my eye and from my heart) Yesterday Itself and Jeep today morning.

I directly went to the Calicut Mahindra dealer and I took a test drive Its not the best but Its best for The price, if can live with the fit and finish.

I can get a good used 2-4 year old Safari 4X4 or even 10-12 Year old pajero for this price But I don't have that much money to take it Off the road so Its the best I can buy.I am going to Buy One. Not for driving to a Mall or cinema or attract some one but for my daily use I have a 2WD scorpio for that .

Do I need to wait for the 2011 Batch ?
Is it worth waiting ?
Sales Manager told me that Usually new Year batch comes after March is it true ?
Help
Old 31st December 2010, 20:50   #517
Senior - BHPian

You have booked a CRDe or a DI version?

Spike

PS- Sree, call me, need to talk.
Old 31st December 2010, 20:59   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post

Do I need to wait for the 2011 Batch ?
Is it worth waiting ?
Sales Manager told me that Usually new Year batch comes after March is it true ?
Help
the OEM plants usually go on a 2-3 week maintainance period in january, since most dealers have stock in their yards.

expect the production of 2011 to start in late january or feb and expect the new 2011 stock with the dealers by later march or april.
Old 31st December 2010, 21:39   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm
expect the production of 2011 to start in late january or feb and expect the new 2011 stock with the dealers by later march or april.
They start making 2011 models in 2010 itself.
Trust me. I know some insiders.
Old 31st December 2010, 21:56   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
They start making 2011 models in 2010 itself.
Trust me. I know some insiders.
i do agree with you that some OEMs do launch the next year's models in sep-oct of the current year. (eg: 2011 model might come be sep-oct 2010).

but i doubt if you could launch a vehicle in 2011, manufactured in 2010! if some OEMs start making them in 2010 and then sell them as 2011, it's CHEATING!
Old 1st January 2011, 06:49   #521
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Now if you ask me I would be spending 7 lakhs to buy it and then another few lakhs more to get it to my liking for offroading. There would be many things that i would be removing from the car and yes the warrenty would be void for sure. I do offroad with the fortuner, so in comparrision the Thar is easier on the pockets.
that's the spirit !!

You know another guy who will have a field day modding the Thar? Its Allan ! He's got all the creativity and talent and we should watch out for some wild stuff from him !!
Old 1st January 2011, 12:16   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
that's the spirit !!

You know another guy who will have a field day modding the Thar? Its Allan ! He's got all the creativity and talent and we should watch out for some wild stuff from him !!

My thoughts exactly !! I was waiting to see if Allan has something planned out for making a Wrangler out of the Thar. If yes - what the cost might be ??

Cheers
Old 1st January 2011, 12:51   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
My thoughts exactly !! I was waiting to see if Allan has something planned out for making a Wrangler out of the Thar. If yes - what the cost might be ??
Cheers
The Wrangler look is already done on the same chassis (barring the personal preferences on mechanical specs). Think its on the classifieds now too. What we need from Allan is something more different and unique!. I love all things DIY and cant wait to see what Allan comes up with.
Old 1st January 2011, 13:35   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
that's the spirit !!

Thank you DKG. You wont have to wait long, Allan and me are doing my car together.
Old 1st January 2011, 14:05   #525
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Thank you DKG. You wont have to wait long, Allan and me are doing my car together.
Please start a dedicated thread when you guys do it. This should be hot !!

I can already think of a few mods:

Side steps go
Better arch flares
rake for front windshield
remove b pillar
remove window frames
sturdier rollbar, padded with soft foam rubber
smart alloys
kickass mud groove tyres
winch
jerry can
forward facing seat in rear
nice audio

Last edited by DKG : 1st January 2011 at 14:10.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed