Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2011, 14:23   #526
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
IS THE PRICE JUSTIFIED for this ?. I would have to say if the car delivered to the customer is anything like the car i spent time with then a BIG NO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fact is, the Thar addresses the needs of a larger market segment than a hard-core offroader.
======
P.S. Is the Thar perfect? Hell NO! I simply do not understand in which century Mahindra lives in. The fit, finish & ergonomics are APPALLING.
^^^ BINGO! My points! Its a good car, no doubts about it. Especially for so many of us who are sitting and waiting to jump into the world of offroad, because we cant afford to spent weeks and months building our jeeps. So for a starter perfect, plus it will be one of the best adventure tourer money can buy. BUT is the price quoted OTR justify the vehicle??! HELL NO + 1!

Quote:
with the points you have put in.

====
I do offroad with the fortuner, so in comparrision the Thar is easier on the pockets.
Very honestly Thar will fit you well, especially since you dont have to risk the Fortuner any more. Thar is definitely a 100% better alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Do I need to wait for the 2011 Batch ?
I really dont think so, but as SPIKE said making a call can really help. Least we can expect right

Quote:
Thank you DKG. You wont have to wait long, Allan and me are doing my car together.
Really excited to see the final product!
Old 1st January 2011, 14:47   #527
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This car is a winner for the ones who have the money and want a hassle free experience.
I myself was considering the Thar at one point of time. NOT as a replacement for the Classic, but to sit by her side in the garage. Reason I opted out:

- For offroading, the Classic does a better job

- On the road, my sedans do a better job

If I didn't have the Classic, I'd have already booked the Thar. I feel the Thar targets:

- First time Jeep owners who won't offroad

- First time Jeep owners who will only do simple -> moderate offroading (beaches, slush, great escapes etc.)

- Multi-car garages where the Thar will serve as a 2nd / 3rd / 4th lifestyle vehicle

- Those who own coffee plantations, jungle resorts & the like

- Rich types from semi-urban or rural India who need a certain level of offroadability with excellent on-road performance

Who the Thar is NOT for is the hard-core offroaders (Tejas, please make note )

Quote:
My point of the price being justified for a normal person with the kind of fit and finish of the car. There are things i noticed, that made me feel a local garage guy would do a better job.
100% agreed. The fit, finish & ergonomics are horrible. Again, I don't know what century Mahindra lives in, and whether they will ever be able to get these basic things right. The rough edges and lack of perfect build is INEXPLICABLE. Heck, the 25 year old Gypsy seems to do it right.

Quote:
Tear drops came from my eye and from my heart
Sorry about that, man. We are mad petrolheads, I tell you....

Last edited by GTO : 1st January 2011 at 18:42.
Old 1st January 2011, 17:48   #528
BHPian

hello everyone...i am a newbie, it was great to read all the comments about the thar. very much intrested in buying one. i feel safe to wait for 3 or 4 months. took a td, just 20 min. but i found it a bit bouncy on normal road. on some patch of bad roads it was fine and i liked how the vehicle behaved on that road. very much refined engine than the normal engines. overall stance of the vehicle is good. rest i guess we can do it up. took the test drive of di and i could not drive more than 50 mtrs, could not sit properly, ( no seat adjust). the accelator was high. crde was comfy. hey can anyone tell me if 4*4 di comes with the same dash as crde..?

one more doubt.. i had seen red colour in a team bhp thread, not sure which thread.. but in the showroom i saw a maroon which they claim to be red. they said only one red is available.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd January 2011 at 10:07. Reason: back to back posts
Old 1st January 2011, 18:21   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEN-TWEEL View Post
hello everyone...i am a newbie, it was great to read all the comments about the thar. very much intrested in buying one. i feel safe to wait for 3 or 4 months. took a td, just 20 min. but i found it a bit bouncy on normal road. on some patch of bad roads it was fine and i liked how the vehicle behaved on that road. very much refined engine than the normal engines. overall stance of the vehicle is good. rest i guess we can do it up. took the test drive of di and i could not drive more than 50 mtrs, could not sit properly, ( no seat adjust). the accelator was high. crde was comfy. hey can anyone tell me if 4*4 di comes with the same dash as crde..?
Hi DT,

Test Drive on CRDe available at TVS Calicut? Or have you done the TD on DI vehicle only?

Thanks,
Sadiq
Old 1st January 2011, 18:38   #530
BHPian

GTO,
Thank you, I loved My Lancer as my best friend.

You very cleverly made a Statement with out saying "Thar is not for Hardcore Off roaders".
But I am waiting for the Thar and I am sure it can do what a CL/MM550 can do may be more with a smile on face.

Off topic :-
How can I calculate the spacer thickens ? is it this ?

FTW - RTW / 2 = Spacer thickens ?

- Sreejesh
Old 1st January 2011, 18:44   #531
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You very cleverly made a Statement with out saying "Thar is not for Hardcore Off roaders"
Have said it over & over again. Post edited for more clarification

Quote:
But I am waiting for the Thar and I am sure it can do what a CL/MM550 can do may be more with a smile on face.
It'll do 75 - 80% of the offroading that an MM540 can. However, the front articulation sucks, the diff ratios aren't ideal and....if you break any part of the IFS, you are looking at BIG bucks to repair.
Old 1st January 2011, 18:56   #532
Senior - BHPian

^^ GTO, what according to you must be the ideal differential ratio?

Spike
Old 1st January 2011, 19:14   #533
BHPian

Can You Please explain The 20-25% Which it can't do ? It will be very helpful for we Newbies. I believe you are comparing with a stock MM540/550 Vs Thar CRDe. Just forget about the money matter for now.

- sreejesh
Old 1st January 2011, 19:19   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Please start a dedicated thread when you guys do it. This should be hot !!
Allan has the liberty to do so if he wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I can already think of a few mods:

Side steps go
Better arch flares
rake for front windshield
remove b pillar
remove window frames
sturdier rollbar, padded with soft foam rubber
smart alloys
kickass mud groove tyres
winch
jerry can
forward facing seat in rear
nice audio
You would just have to wait and watch.
Old 1st January 2011, 20:08   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Allan has the liberty to do so if he wishes.

You would just have to wait and watch.
we could do with a little teaser, if you dont mind!
Old 1st January 2011, 20:22   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Who the Thar is NOT for is the hard-core offroaders (Tejas, please make note )
Then the cars not meant for me either .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEN-TWEEL View Post
one more doubt.. i had seen red colour in a team bhp thread, not sure which thread.. but in the showroom i saw a maroon which they claim to be red. they said only one red is available.
That was the launch car picture u saw. The red is actually a maroon shade in actual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
we could do with a little teaser, if you dont mind!
Parm for that you would have to ask Mahindra to give me my car immidiately, i am still awaiting delivery. The promised date is 25th January.
Old 1st January 2011, 21:03   #537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Who the Thar is NOT for is the hard-core offroaders (Tejas, please make note
Roger That!

The dilemma continues!
Old 1st January 2011, 21:52   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Roger That!

The dilemma continues!
im not trying to compare DI Thar with CRDe, but i definately see it as a plan B by many hardcore offroaders.

i wonder why any one has not started a DI vs CRDe thread!

i would like to request GTO to conduct the TD of both variants to give out a clear picture as to what vehicle is best suited for hardcore offroad.
Old 1st January 2011, 22:16   #539
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Who the Thar is NOT for is the hard-core offroaders
I am not so sure that is a fair assessment ! I have offroaded with most of the people here who frequent TBHP and I don't think anyone here can say with certainty that the Thar failed where a leafsprung vehicle with soild axles surpassed.

I think all this debate has been more conjecture than facts. I am a bit wary of writing off cars like this !!

I don't know if you have driven the Thar and let me tell you its no pussyfoot who will fracture a leg on the first outing.

In the right hands she will dance with the devil alright !!

This debate is a bit like the typewriter industry believing it had a life beyond computers and the record companies thought MP3 was but a blip on the music industry circuit or Kodak believing that film will eventually outlast digital !!

I honestly don't think IFS is such a bad deal as has been made out here at TBHP. Toyota engineers wouldn't switch from rigid axles on the big Cruiser or give the new FJ a IFS setup if they believed it was necessarily a massive compromise over solid axles. Just check out what the FJ Cruisers do at Moab Utah. Our so called "hardcore" solid axle Jeeps will burn a clutch, flip fart and fall dead on the first climb !

Last edited by DKG : 1st January 2011 at 22:21.
Old 1st January 2011, 23:35   #540
Senior - BHPian

This is turning out to be a Solid Axle vs IFS thread.

Thar cannot be written off as a capable off roader just because it has IFS instead of Solid Axle.

Even if so... in many or nearly all other departments, our old 540/50 or other solid axle Jeeps are way way behind Thar, whether on or off road to a extent of no contest.

Regarding the price, Major has been praised to the sky on other threads at about 5.5L. Kindly keep in mind, the technological advance between it and the Thar.

It is very fair that you get for 1.5L plus (Major price) a Jeep that is much superior in ..... etc. etc. Well, maybe except for the Solid Axle.

I love building a Jeep over buying it, that would be the only reason I would continue building and not buy a Thar.

If I go in for a Thar, the reasons are advantages numerous.

It is mind over matter and personal preferences. In no way have off roaders been short changed as mentioned by somebody on this thread.

Many learned off roaders from our T-BHP have experienced what Thar can do off roads, and have respected it.

If we are fair in judging the Thar, then be certain, there is not a single off road terrain that will remain unconquered by it and Thar will beat opposition on our level of OTR's effortlessly with an IFS set up.

Regards,
Closed Thread

Most Viewed