Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2011, 13:21   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Launch on 21st December 2010. Update: Price on Page 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Oh you got it really wrong my friend,
when did we become friends??!!!

Quote:
please make a visit to a M&M dealer and ask for the price of drive train and suspension of 4x4 scorp before you make such BIG statements like you did now.
Why dont you do a few rounds around Ford, Toyota or infact any other SUV/MUV maker before making such smaller comments instead?

Quote:
And please do not confuse the topic by bringing the old vehicle in here.
LOL, how can that be confusing to YOU?? Isnt that the basis of your argument in every thread on tbhp?!!??!!
Old 3rd January 2011, 13:22   #587
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Sharath I doubt Maruti will be able to offer the new Jimny with a diesel, hardtop, a/c and power steering for anything less than 10 lacs. Assuming that price point is correct how does that make it a better option for people wanting to offroad ?
According to this site, it is only 8L.

Maruti Jimny JLX DDiS, Review, Price, Maruti Cars India, Comparison, Images, Variants

Quote:
The lighter Jimny will not be as stable on highways at high speeds
I barely have access to highspeed highways.
Old 3rd January 2011, 13:27   #588
Senior - BHPian

Solid Axle

Hi Guys,

Some video's of Solid Axle Leaf Spring M&M JEEP doing what they do BEST.

Regards,

Arka
Old 3rd January 2011, 14:04   #589
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Interesting ! At that price they should see some hatchback customers switching !

It says it has airbags etc too. All that at 8 lacs seems tight. I think eventually it will be 10 lacs onroad which is not small change for a tiny car. I wonder how many people will buy it at that price point?

Maruti should launch a stripped bare basic Jimny for 6 lacs if they want to see it sell well. Crossing 8 lac mark for a small car is dicey

Last edited by DKG : 3rd January 2011 at 14:08.
Old 3rd January 2011, 14:21   #590
Senior - BHPian

Re: Solid Axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Guys,

Regards,

Arka

Sir, how does this show that a car with IFS cannot do any of this?
Old 3rd January 2011, 14:31   #591
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
when did we become friends??!!!
For starters i consider forum members as friends, never knew you did not share the same emotions. Does not matter

Quote:
Why dont you do a few rounds around Ford, Toyota or infact any other SUV/MUV maker before making such smaller comments instead?
Did you do the rounds of M&M for the 4x4 scorp part price list? Before you made the comments, again?!

FYI I have owned both the brands you have mentioned, one for 7 long years and the other for 2 years.

Quote:
LOL, how can that be confusing to YOU?? Isnt that the basis of your argument in every thread on tbhp?!!??!!
First of all its not confusing for me, but you are trying to confuse others and deviate from a perfectly healthy debate. Clearly shows your attitude about others and thought process that just works on assumption more than experience. So be it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
As much as i would like to believe that, i really don't think its a realistic pricing guess, having seen how MUL prices its products.

Quote:
Maruti should launch a stripped bare basic Jimny for 6 lacs if they want to see it sell well. Crossing 8 lac mark for a small car is dicey
Yup! but most probably they will come out with a 4 door diesel SUV derived from Jimny and price it at 10-12 lakhs making it pointless from our perspective.
Old 3rd January 2011, 14:33   #592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Sir, how does this show that a car with IFS cannot do any of this?
Sir,

A CAR with IFS cannot definitely do what the JEEPs have done in the video.

The above two videos were just to show how easily a Solid Axle MM540 can over come serious off-road obstacles, especially the second one.

Please notice how the vehicle behaves, the orientation of the wheels in respect to the terrain and the vehicle body, and relate it to how various IFS vehicles behave.

One is down hill and second video is uphill.

Regards,

Arka
Old 3rd January 2011, 14:54   #593
Team-BHP Support

Arka you meant the first video ^^^ by NOT? that i also doubt. With so much of overhang and load if it was IFS it would be a disaster.

Second video i think IFS vehicle should do, maybe it will have to slip and slide a bit and not like the solid axle (so calm it went ).
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:30   #594
Senior - BHPian

[quote=ex670c;2194866]Hi Guys,

[End quote]

Judging from the extra fuel up on top that must be a very remote place. I can well imagine the lateral stresses and flexes those rocks are generating on the whole machine especially the front suspension. Not a place to lose a tie rod or crumple a torsion bar.

IFS has inherent weakness or concern points. This has been shown time and time again on sundry vehicles having IFS. But can this be overcome by designing in sheer robustness? Thar weighs about 1700k. The vehicle that its IFS comes from weighs much more. Does this cancel out at least some potential fragility?

Spike, are you talking about Hari Shrodinger, the guy who runs the Dhaba next to the dry cleaners?

Actually, some years back there was a VolksWagon model named the "Quantum". It was rather complex. Good Quantum Mechanics that knew how to work on it were hard to come by.

All theories of the universe fail to convince, ultimately, because they must explain themselves, since they are in the universe, and are hence circular, dogmatic and self-contradictory.
Self-contradictory because in order to be meaningful the primitive terms anchoring the theory to reality must be explained in terms outside of the theory.

This was demonstrated by several geniuses:

Gautama Buddha _538 BC
Shankara _812 AD
Kurt Godel _1931
DirtyDan _2005 AD

Last edited by DirtyDan : 3rd January 2011 at 15:45.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:38   #595

Hi. I met the Thar on 27th Dec (the dealer called me as soon as it arrived). Drove it on 29th. Liked it. I am not a jeeper. I am not an offroader. Always wanted to get a jeep and instinct tells me I will love it. Was selfish enough to want a power steering and A/C. I have the cheque ready. Just spoke to the dealer. I have a couple of questions (please bear in mind that the anwers will not change my decision of buying the Thar - that has been made). But i do need some help please

1 I have a 2007 SX4 ZXI. Good car; has been nice to me and taken me places (pardon the pun). I want to sell it and buy the thar. I want to make thar my primary vehicle. Is that possible? I drive alone 97% of the times; and if there is ever a need to lug more bodies, there are options. I drive roughly 120-140 kms a week.

2 I can get the std. crde thar from the dealer. They are saying they can fit the AC. But that is not needed in delhi for the next 4 months. Shouldnt i wait it out for the AC then? I can get it fitted if the company comes up with an option later (the dealer option always remains)

3 if MM comes up with a hard top variant; will I be able to buy the hard top and put it on top of the soft top CRDe? I did some basic research and aluminium/fiber hard tops could cost a bomb cuz the moulds are not ready and there is monopoly; pretty much

Help is appreciated Gents.

Best,
Saakar
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:54   #596
Senior - BHPian

OT- ^^ Haha ha, good one DD, I liked that!

Spike

PS- Please continue on the IFS Vs Solid axles part
Old 3rd January 2011, 16:36   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf18 View Post

1 I have a 2007 SX4 ZXI. Good car; has been nice to me and taken me places (pardon the pun). I want to sell it and buy the thar. I want to make thar my primary vehicle. Is that possible? I drive alone 97% of the times; and if there is ever a need to lug more bodies, there are options. I drive roughly 120-140 kms a week.
the THAR can be made a primary vehicle. So you can sell your SX4. But remember the THAR won't give SX4 type refinement.
Quote:
2 I can get the std. crde thar from the dealer. They are saying they can fit the AC. But that is not needed in delhi for the next 4 months. Shouldnt i wait it out for the AC then? I can get it fitted if the company comes up with an option later (the dealer option always remains)
I would suggest waiting for the factory fitted AC due to the issue raised by me a few pages back.

Quote:
3 if MM comes up with a hard top variant; will I be able to buy the hard top and put it on top of the soft top CRDe? I did some basic research and aluminium/fiber hard tops could cost a bomb cuz the moulds are not ready and there is monopoly; pretty much
Again, please wait as the HT with AC variant is coming up soon. I understand Anand Mahindra is pushing the M&M engineers to work hard on this to deliver the best!

Quote:
Help is appreciated Gents.
Why only Gents?
Won't you take any help by ladies? There are quite a few female members in the forum
Old 3rd January 2011, 16:39   #598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.... Drove it on 29th. Liked it. I am not a jeeper. I am not an offroader. Always wanted to get a jeep and instinct tells me I will love it.
Perfect. You WILL love the THAR. no questions about it. It is made for people who love the jeep looks, comfortable ride etc etc.

Quote:
1 I have a 2007 SX4 ZXI. ....I want to sell it and buy the thar. I want to make thar my primary vehicle. Is that possible? I drive alone 97% of the times;
Absence of A/C & Lockable hardtop (it doesn't even have a lockable glove box) make it impractical as a daily drive. Get these and the THAR is a very very sensible replacement for a city car. It is a seriously fun to drive city car. I can vouch for that.

Quote:
... They are saying they can fit the AC. But that is not needed in delhi for the next 4 months. Shouldnt i wait it out for the AC then? I can get it fitted if the company comes up with an option later (the dealer option always remains)
No news of an A/C THAR coming soon. So it will be a dealer option for quite some time. News is that MM folks are working on creating a SoP for A/C fitment. It ain't easy in that cramped engine bay.

Quote:
.if MM comes up with a hard top variant; will I be able to buy the hard top and put it on top of the soft top CRDe?..
Yes, when that happens, you should be able to put a H/T. However when that is going to happen is a BIG question.
Old 3rd January 2011, 16:44   #599
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you are not bothered about comfort too much, i think Thar is a good fit. Since you drive is less.

Quote:
2 I can get the std. crde thar from the dealer. They are saying they can fit the AC. But that is not needed in delhi for the next 4 months. Shouldnt i wait it out for the AC then? I can get it fitted if the company comes up with an option later (the dealer option always remains
Ideally wait for company fitted AC and hard top. Primary reason being retaining warranty and peace of mind from installation perspective.

Quote:
Should be doable but yes costs are un announced and expect it to be little on the costly side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
This was demonstrated by several geniuses:

Gautama Buddha _538 BC
Shankara _812 AD
Kurt Godel _1931
DirtyDan _2005 AD
Too good but why only one year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
the THAR can be made a primary vehicle. So you can sell your SX4. But remember the THAR won't give SX4 type refinement.
Let me add, if you have a nuclear family not too bothered about comfort and don't mind a 3 door vehicle. Why not! if that is a dream vehicle for you.
Old 3rd January 2011, 16:45   #600
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Arka,

I think the Thar would easily do both the terrains as posted in your two videos.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks