Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2011, 20:28   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dilemma over! Gypsy wins this round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Glad few of my inputs helped your thought process...
======
Cant believe MUL responded to a query on a product that sold 264 units or 0.29% (Yes, i calculated ) of their Dec-10 sales..!!
Thank you for the inputs and am not kidding, i had just left them a web site enquiry. This was just before i bought DwArF.

Nice stats!
Old 8th January 2011, 08:35   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
A simple mod to achieve that is to increase the dia of the by pass vent/hole in the thermostat, or make another one of the same dia.
Sir, Please post pictures of the Mod !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I have pretty much ruled out the Thar CRDe. Now, I am toying whether buy MDI or build a custom off-roader from Scratch starting with an RC Book...
@Tini: I was under the impression that you are one of the potential THAR buyers..why this decision?

@Jaggu: So when is the gypsy coming around? You would soon realise that the gypsy is a "Jeep" designed by Suzuki 20 years later than the ones M&M sell, where VAVE has evolved!

I'm positive THAR R2.0 would overcome most defects cited in this forum
Old 8th January 2011, 12:37   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@Tini: I was under the impression that you are one of the potential THAR buyers..why this decision?
I am still confused as to what to do...
Old 8th January 2011, 12:53   #139
BANNED

Re: Unreasonable dilemma! Thar Vs Gypsy! Mostly resolved Page 9.

IMHO & AFAIK

Thar is a completly different product . There cannot be a comparison in Thar & Gypsy because both ARE different ( May be good or bad )

capacity ( budget ) & VFM are the deciding factors here

Sudarshan
Old 8th January 2011, 19:21   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
IMHO & AFAIK

Thar is a completly different product . There cannot be a comparison in Thar & Gypsy because both ARE different ( May be good or bad )

capacity ( budget ) & VFM are the deciding factors here

Sudarshan
Fit & Finish/Durability/Ruggedness/Cost of maintenance were of paramount importance for me.

Thar scored only in 2 aspects, engine and long distance cruising comfort for me. Unfortunately that was not my need.

Last edited by GTO : 15th March 2012 at 17:36. Reason: Opening thread as a new thread needs to be merged with this one. Thanks'
Old 13th March 2012, 21:27   #141
BHPian

Project Car: Thar/Gypsy

So a little background. I do weekly trips to Karjat/Lonavala/Pune with my father, and these are usually done by me driving the Jag or our newly acquired RR Sport that replaced the aging Merc C220, or being chauffeur driven in one of my father's cars.

What I was looking for however, is for either a Gypsy King or a Thar CRDe to be stationed at Karjat - we have a lot of area there and its like an off-road track, minor rivers etc, nothing major. But I could also take it up to lonavala from the old ghat road (would be fun). But I could only do this when I don't travel with my father. Now obviously I'm not going to do any extreme off roaring in it, just to bash around our property, and just basically to have fun with.

However, I also want this to be like my project car. The current cars that we own, are well, difficult to do any extreme mods to due to the risk of voiding multiple warranties and such. And the Thar/Gypsy are as RAW as they come, with it almost being as if they were built with the purpose of being modified. Cosmetically, I would like to modify them but leave them as clean looking as possible. I'm attaching pics to give an idea. But now comes the part where I might start sounding crazy.

I don't even know if this is possible and is where I seek your help, tbhp gurus. I want this car to be modified on performance like no other Thar/Gypsy has been. Also I may sound stupid, because I've never done anything like this and again, don't know if these things are possible in a Thar/Gypsy. I want to tune/possibly change the engine to a much better/higher powered engine, possibly from a Pajero or even a Fortuner. Also I was planning on changing up the exhaust system to a branded performance system, possibly also performance brakes. Like I said this car won't be doing extreme off-roading anyway, it would just really be a "lifestyle" vehicle; so in theory the mods should hurt.

I also know you might think that it might not be worth doing all these mods on a Gypsy/Thar when I could just get a better off-roader for that amount of money. But I've always been a fan of the MM450 and the Gypsy and having owned a few in the past (by my father) I would love to have one of these again, and I'm sure my father would love it too.

Now what I want to know is firstly, are any of the performance mods I mentioned even possible? And even if they are, would I be better off doing them on a Gypsy or a Thar? Again, this might all just sound ridiculous, but right now I just want to know if this is even possible.

*The Gypsy in the pic belongs to tbhp member gsferrari, and has been photoshopped by me. And the Thar contains some parts and influences from renderings by member Salil Pawar. Hope they do not mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Unreasonable dilemma! Thar Vs Gypsy! Mostly resolved Page 9.-gypsymods.jpg  

Unreasonable dilemma! Thar Vs Gypsy! Mostly resolved Page 9.-tharmods.jpg  

Old 14th March 2012, 12:09   #142
Senior - BHPian

Re: Project Car: Thar/Gypsy

Somehow whatever you wrote seems a little confusing. You started with talking about a vehicle which can do moderate level of offroad, both Gypsy and Thar can do that without breaking a sweet, though Thar would be my preference keeping that Ghar road you talked about. Subsequently you started talking about performance mods like plonking a big engine, powerful barkes and all.

What I am imagining after reading your requirements looks something like a WRC car running on sills.
Old 25th March 2012, 14:14   #143

i would personally recommend you to go for Thar as its an awesome machiene. clearing up the thought you had on saving money for extra petrol believe me, that idea never works. Buying a petrol always stops you from travelling places or cutting down your plans and each time you fill petrol it pinches you again!

If you are planning to take on loan, you might save 3K evey month that you will blow off spending on petrol. Overall, I recommend Thar is an amazing vechile hence go for it. Wishin you good luck!

cheers
Josh
Old 25th March 2012, 16:06   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Saarth - I suggest you go through all the Thar CRDe threads on the forum. most of the information is already available. I could start you off by saying that - do something that matches the capabilities of a certain black vehicle having registration number MH01V521. . Best of luck.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 25th March 2012, 17:08   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Project Car: Thar/Gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saarth View Post
What I was looking for however, is for either a Gypsy King or a Thar CRDe
Come along with us one of these days when we go off the road and drive both these vehicles and decide. Most probably next weekend.
Old 19th April 2012, 11:13   #146
BHPian

Gypsy vs MM550 vs Thar vs Gurkha

I'am in a bit of a dilemma- buying a vehicle for the farm. One thing is for sure the Verna that i drive will break sooner or later on the roads(rural and farm road) also i require something more utilitarian for ferrying/carrying labor, farm produce, small equipments etc. As i will be staying in the farm it will be my personal vehicle as well, which will be used for local trips as well as 120 km weekly trip to Bangalore and back after a day or so. The options that i have are

1. Gypsy Pros-meets most of my basic requirement, cons- petrol
2. Restored MM550- Pros-meets most of my basic requirement, cons- have to rely on finding a good restoration.
Both these will not have even basic creature comforts.

3. Thar- Pros-Basics requirements are met, Have to check on the creature comforts, looks like the best of the lot on that count.
Cons-Cost, I will have to sell my Verna

4. Gurkha-pros-Basic requirements met, HT & A/C, Cons-Ownership experience seems to be poor(based on some threads) more out of dealership, lack of a test drive vehicle etc, Cost

About me- An absolute novice when it comes to 4X4/SUVs, likely to do infrequent, mild OTRs apart from what the farm throws at me, hence have to speak to and totally rely on a professional restorer when it comes to old Jeeps. Selecting 2nd hand vehicles can also be a problem.
I'am a driving enthusiast, but prefer a ride which doesn't require constant attention. I'd have other areas to focus attention and energy as well.

Require some help from the experts.
Old 19th April 2012, 11:27   #147
BHPian

Re: Gypsy vs MM550 vs Thar vs Gurkha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lediablo View Post
About me- An absolute novice when it comes to 4X4/SUVs, I'am a driving enthusiast, but prefer a ride which doesn't require constant attention. I'd have other areas to focus attention and energy as well.
I am no expert, but seeing your requirement and the nature of use. I feel the answer is straight forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lediablo View Post
4. Gurkha-pros-Basic requirements met, HT & A/C, Cons-Ownership experience seems to be poor(based on some threads) more out of dealership, lack of a test drive vehicle etc, Cost
The ownership experiences online may not be great but it is one tough vehicle and will serve your requirements of a farm vehicle and a highway cruiser too which a restores MM550 may not be able to do regularly. I have seen quite a few Gurkha which are used as passenger vehicle and farm vehicle at my home town and it is a workhorse. It would offer you more space than a Thar.
mac187 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 12:00   #148
Senior - BHPian

Why aren't you looking at the Bolero ? I have a couple of close friends having Bolero 4x4s and have seen that the vehicles can take a heavy beating. Its much cheaper than the Thar and Gurkha, its diesel and its hard top. So you will get the security as well.
Old 19th April 2012, 12:24   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 to that.

Since you specify that you have little OTR use so I guess you won't be needing the 4WD. You have pretty well managed with your Verna,that proves the point. So why not consider a sturdy diesel?

The Bolero would fit the bill perfectly. It is sturdy enough to withstand the bad roads/no roads, will be cheap to maintain and won't require much attention. Finally you won't have shell out much. You can replace your Verna with a AC and PS equipped Bolero.

Another option is, if you need a more comfortable vehicle and are to spend a bit more, you can look at the Scorpio EX.

PS: If you still feel you need 4WD then you can look at the Bolero 4X4. Here is a recent ownership thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-its-mods.html

Last edited by ashis89 : 19th April 2012 at 12:26.
Old 19th April 2012, 12:26   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Why aren't you looking at the Bolero ? I have a couple of close friends having Bolero 4x4s and have seen that the vehicles can take a heavy beating. Its much cheaper than the Thar and Gurkha, its diesel and its hard top. So you will get the security as well.
Thanks, Good suggestion. However the GC is only 180mm. Can anything be done about it ? I'am hoping the suspension set up can take the abuse of mild off-road environs. Will check this out when am at the mahindra dealership

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks