Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2013, 10:55   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Unreasonable dilemma! Thar Vs Gypsy! Mostly resolved Page 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If budget is not an issue, there are new gen compressor (that comes with swift etc)
Is this available from We Cool folk or do I have to buy it from MGP?

Quote:
2) Blower make. I have used a cheap local one, works well though a lil noisy at higher speeds.
How well does the thermostat work on one of these? I don't want to keep turning OFF the AC each time it gets too cold.

Quote:
No these are longer shackles to get more clearance for the vehicle.
So you are talking about something that raises the height of the car? I am new to this so don't understand all the terminology.
Old 8th January 2013, 11:05   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Is this available from We Cool folk or do I have to buy it from MGP?
Its available and we cool should be able to arrange. Actually they can arrange more parts for AC than even the oem's

Quote:
How well does the thermostat work on one of these? I don't want to keep turning OFF the AC each time it gets too cold.
Its a adjustable thermostat. So depending on your needs, cut off temp can be adjusted. So absolutely no issue.

Quote:
So you are talking about something that raises the height of the car? I am new to this so don't understand all the terminology.
Yes this is the stuff here
Old 8th January 2013, 11:10   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes this is the stuff here
After looking at the image, I have no clue as to what or where this is fixed and the purpose of it. Is it to further strengthen something?
Old 8th January 2013, 11:18   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
After looking at the image, I have no clue as to what or where this is fixed and the purpose of it. Is it to further strengthen something?
Ok this should clear all doubts.

Basically the part that connects the spring to chassis. Longer ones will give more clearance. Cheapest way to achieve a small lift, which is very essential for offroad situation.
Old 10th September 2015, 11:21   #170
BHPian

Planning to buy New Gypsy

Hello All,

Iam delighted that i finally got my membership approved in Team-BHP after a long time !

Iam from Madurai but travel to Kodaikanal often where i have my farmland. There is no road to my land except for a muddy track that gets very slushy during rain. Since this place is about 35 km from Kodai town i am planning to buy a reliable, light and robust offroader that will also be good on the road as well. GC is very important

Iam aware of several issues with the Gypsy (Suspension, Lack of A/C and PS). I already own a Mitsubishi Cedia sports which is for family trips. So this will not be my primary vehicle.

Is there anyone who has recently bought a new Gypsy 2014/2015? Would love to hear your experiences. Also any other recommendations are welcome

Thanks
Shyam
shyamkrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 22:40   #171
BHPian

Re: Planning to buy New Gypsy

Hi Shyam,

Welcome to the forum.I do not own a 2014/2015 Model Gypsy, however what i know is there have not been any changes in the Model for a very long time. I own a 2000 model King MPFI. I bought this in 2012 and till before buying I had never driven a Gypsy. My advice to you would be to test drive one and judge yourself. In last 3 years I have driven it only 2K Kms approx. And it has been lying idle for last one and a half year. I own a Fiesta & Esteem & I feel very uncomfortable driving it even for 5 KMs on less than perfect roads because of its ride quality. My advice would be to add some more money and buy a THAR. Ride quality is better than Gypsy, has factory fitter AC & PS so would give you some comfort and it is Diesel so would be economical too. Test drive one and decide.

nIk
nik0502 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 23:27   #172
BHPian

Thar and Gypsy are the two good options for you. Gypsy is still a barebone vehicle with leaf springs and no ps brand new. Thar comes with IFS, PS and more comfortable in highway drives. I have been driving my 2000 model gypsy as my daily driver back in India and loved it everyday. Depends on your take and budget. You can get a good used gypsy at a fraction of the cost of Thar and you can use some budget to upgrade the suspension of the gypsy.
Good luck on the buy!
Old 11th September 2015, 09:13   #173
Senior - BHPian

Get a used MPFI Gypsy and install Ironman / Bilstien Shock Absorbers. Would make a world of difference to your spine. Since it wont be your primary vehicle, why buy new as the usage would be low.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 19:27   #174
BHPian

Re: My brand new Gypsy King 1.3L MPFI

DrBones, just one word for your choice, "Absolute Charm".

I have been a die-hard fan of the GYPSY ever since the days, i used to eat Lollipops. Having been a motorhead, i have equally craved for the GYPSY. Never had the chance to buy one though, because it might look boyish but needs a mature hand. My Search for the MG413W Mpfi still continues(I am looking for an used completely stock MG). Believe me the Mpfi is oodles better than the Carb version 413.

The 413 if not tuned properly is a nightmare, when it comes to FE. I would recommend Steel Off-roading Rims and a set of Hellas. They add to the looks and also are meant for the job, you bought it for(OFF-ROADING). Stove some sandbags under the rear seats, to get rid of a bumpy ride. But who cares, its not for the type, who want creature comforts, its rather for the Rustic and Adventurous Go spin some wheels and splash some Mud.
Old 13th September 2015, 06:12   #175
BHPian

Hi nik,

Yea thats exactly my concern. Unfortunately there is no test vehicle to drive. The other day i was in an auto an we went over some really bad roads and a thought came to my mind as to how bad the suspension could be

I have been thinking about 2nd hand cars, but iam a bit concerned that reliability is an issue. Near my place at Kodai there are no repair shops and if the Gypsy breaks down there is no one to fix. Thats why i thought of a new vehicle

The Thar is too heavy. The Power to weight is really low. The Gypsy, on the other hand, has a good Power Weight balance.

Im just hoping there will be a few other 4X4 options that would roll out in the near term future that will make my search easier

Thanks
Old 13th September 2015, 15:39   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamkrish View Post
Hello All,

Iam from Madurai but travel to Kodaikanal often where i have my farmland. There is no road to my land except for a muddy track that gets very slushy during rain. Since this place is about 35 km from Kodai town i am planning to buy a reliable, light and robust offroader that will also be good on the road as well. GC is very important
You might also consider Thar Di as opposed to Thar CRDe. You may have to alter it a bit to suit your needs, move the seats back, add good tyres, but I regard it as more robust and simpler/easier to maintain than the CRDe. It now comes with power steering. A good used Gypsy, that has not been abused, would be my choice if I were in your shoes...if you could find one.

Mahindra after sales service and parts are terrible. Maruti, much, much better on that score.

It is possible that there may be new offerings on the market by March/April of 2016. Hope springs eternal . Maruti will come out with their mini suv, the "BREZZA" around that time. It may not have the GC and off-road capability you desire, dunno at this point. It will come with the 1.3L diesel as one option in India.
Old 15th September 2015, 21:33   #177
BHPian

The other thing is and as ironic it might sound, the Gypsy is the oldest of the lot. It hasnt changed for 20 years. But its still the best looking of all the Thars, Scorpios, XUVs etc

Its seen rarely which adds to its presence. Also, if i buy an SUV i feel i will never abuse it like a gypsy because i dont want to see it abused. The new SUV spare parts are quite expensive

When i used to stay in Kodai i used my Cedia very extensively and i never felt a bump on bad roads. However after 5 years/70000kms, i did find a bit of rattling and the rear suspension might need to be replaced in another 20K . And the cost of a suspension in a Cedia is around 12-15k due to direct import

I see the same issue with all new SUVs that come in. Gypsy on the other hand, even if purchased new, is much more reliable, cheaper to maintain though getting spare parts is tough.

However, on the downside, if i do end up buying a Gypsy, i will end up with 2 reliable vehicles (Cedia and Gypsy) which are no longer available, and if both breakdown and spare parts take time, i will have my family cursing me about my decisions
Old 15th September 2015, 22:51   #178
Team-BHP Support

Get a second hand Thar, that will be more than enough and with added comfort and that of AC. Gypsy as a farm trip vehicle is not recommended, trust me i had two of them with me. Even in a case you want to lug some farm produce, Gypsy would be at a disadvantage. On the other hand Thar has more than enough of torque to do all that and they are much better on Tarmac, so madurai to farm would be much more comfy and economical.

With regards to maintenance gypsy is one of the cheapest, simplest to maintain. Any MUL authorised place can help you fix them. M&M also has similar access to service and support.

5-6 lakhs you should get a good pre-owned Thar, if not (again) look at a pre-owned Gypsy (harder to find) but should get for 4-5 range. If you find a piece under 30-40k kms nothing much to worry.

Brand new Gypsy is the last thing you should be looking for weekend farm runs.
Old 16th September 2015, 16:25   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

With regards to maintenance gypsy is one of the cheapest, simplest to maintain. Any MUL authorised place can help you fix them. M&M also has similar access to service and support.

5-6 lakhs you should get a good pre-owned Thar, if not (again) look at a pre-owned Gypsy (harder to find) but should get for 4-5 range. If you find a piece under 30-40k kms nothing much to worry.
As a Thar CRDe owner, I have hit 56,000 on the dial and I am not going to keep this thing much longer. It has been expensive to maintain and M&M service and parts is a joke. I also think the complex front suspension is just not up to handling a lot of rough going long term. As Arka and others have pointed out, the Thar's rack and pinion power steering is particularly hard on tie rod ends. Thar's performance has also been disapointing, especially the engine. The thing just won't go up hills worth the price of a dead mongoose. I would stay away from a used Thar CRDe.

However, if by some chance you compulsively just "must have one" I will sell you mine cheap. It is the bestest most wonderfulest, the most satisfying, the most precisely produced and supported vehicle I have ever had the pleasure of owning !! Unlike the posters in the classified section of this site, I will sell it for less than the new car price. Its a 2013, by the way.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 16th September 2015 at 16:41.
DirtyDan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 17:13   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I also think the complex front suspension is just not up to handling a lot of rough going long term. As Arka and others have pointed out, the Thar's rack and pinion power steering is particularly hard on tie rod ends. Thar's performance has also been disapointing, especially the engine. The thing just won't go up hills worth the price of a dead mongoose. I would stay away from a used Thar CRDe.
Down here we are better off, parts are available and reasonable. I use independent garage to maintain it and have upgraded the suspension and ECU so takes care of the handling (On & Off road) and have tons of powe
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed