Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2016, 12:58   #211
BHPian

Re: Unreasonable dilemma! Thar Vs Gypsy! Mostly resolved Page 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban legend View Post
The price list Vikram arya has given matches the quote given to me. Thanks for sharing your experience. Makes sense to go with the factory fitted h t.
@autosphere , my gypsy is 13 years old. Fitting an a c and h t or spending too much on it is nt a good idea. Better to go for a new one. The jimny is a good option but there are no details available regarding its launch and size , specifications etc. If Maruti stops selling the gypsy next year and I don't like the jimny I ll be stuck in no mans land. So I ll place my order by November
Thanks and now I understand. And also about the Jimny, there is a thread about a 2018 launch - so that's too far.

Once a Gypsy user always a Gypsy lover
Old 1st August 2016, 14:08   #212
BHPian

Been a gypsy lover since my college day! Here are a few pics of my beauty. I doubt the jimny can come to the road presence a gypsy commands !
Attached Thumbnails
Unreasonable dilemma! Thar Vs Gypsy! Mostly resolved Page 9.-image.jpeg  

urban legend is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2016, 14:12   #213
BHPian

Sorry. I was unable to upload the snaps properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Unreasonable dilemma! Thar Vs Gypsy! Mostly resolved Page 9.-image.jpeg  

urban legend is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 23:52   #214
BHPian

Hey cool_dube , i am planning on booking a gypsy asap - waiting for the dealer in bangalore to confirm the exact price in written (i intend to get this on company lease). I contacted the one in whitefield (Bimal) and they confirmed that while they can take the booking, there are some T&Cs -
1. Color options limited to white and military green
2. Hefty booking amount, non-refundable of course
Waiting period is expected to be 3 months. Have you heard anything better from any other dealer?
Old 9th August 2016, 09:45   #215
BHPian

Have put up my old gypsy for sale. Not yet decided about buying a new gyspy or thar. The family wants it to be an suv/muv which can be chauffer driven and has good comfort levels. And the budget is quite tight too as its our third vehicle. So i am still researching.
Old 10th August 2016, 12:14   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyabhushan View Post
Color options limited to white and military green
It is not military green but "Harvest Green", as seen here

Quote:
Hefty booking amount, non-refundable of course
Standard is 50K. Ask him to take a walk, if he is asking for more.

Quote:
Waiting period is expected to be 3 months
Even MUL cannot commit on a waiting period for Gypsy, let alone the dealer It is unpredictable, to say the least. If your planets are in alignment and a "bulk" order is placed just around the time you booked your Gypsy, you can get it within a month. If not, keep waiting like a drought-hit farmer looking at the sky.

Quote:
The family wants it to be an suv/muv which can be chauffer driven and has good comfort levels
This rules out both Thar and Gypsy right away. Go for an Ertiga/Innova depending on the budget.
Old 9th September 2016, 20:18   #217
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Hey
Who else is keen on the Gypsy
From
bangalore
Even I am wanting a new one in Harvest Green
Hardtop 1.3 mpfi

Lets go together and beat the dealers to death!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 22:06   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Hey
Who else is keen on the Gypsy
From
bangalore
Even I am wanting a new one in Harvest Green
Hardtop 1.3 mpfi

Lets go together and beat the dealers to death!
Shankar, there is not much that the dealers can do when it comes to the Gypsy. They are as, probably more, helpless than the customer since they get beaten up by the customer for no fault of theirs! MSIL has no interest whatsoever in selling the Gypsy and do not give a damn if you do not book or cancel the booking. The only assured variant / color is the soft top in White. For anything else, you need to wait till they get 'bulk' orders in that color / variant.

Cheers...
Old 14th September 2016, 04:29   #219
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Sorry. I was unable to upload the snaps properly.
I see this Gypsy on the Classifieds.
Just checking is this an MPFi?
Old 29th September 2017, 18:17   #220
BHPian

If you guys had to decide now, i.e in 2017, between a used Thar (CRDE) and Gypsy now which way would you go?

I am looking for thoughts since I would like to get one of these. Mostly commuting and occasional offroading. The 2017 Thar is also very enticing to me with A/C and better interiors, but I would like to hear the opinions of knowledgeable people in this segment.

I do not have any RFC kind of aspirations, just some engaging offroad travel.
Old 30th September 2017, 11:45   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi View Post
If you guys had to decide now, i.e in 2017, between a used Thar (CRDE) and Gypsy now which way would you go?

I am looking for thoughts since I would like to get one of these. Mostly commuting and occasional offroading. The 2017 Thar is also very enticing to me with A/C and better interiors, but I would like to hear the opinions of knowledgeable people in this segment.

I do not have any RFC kind of aspirations, just some engaging offroad travel.
If it is mild off roading like trails and desert, then 4x4 Duster is good enough. If you want more grunt then the Scorpio S4 4x4. Both Gypsy and Thar are basically two seaters and on any long journey the passengers suffer, so apart from their road presence I would never recommend either of them.
Old 30th September 2017, 12:07   #222
BHPian

Thank you Aroy. I should have written, it is mostly just the two of us. No other passengers. 10L was my max budget (for a new car), so was thinking of these two.
Old 30th September 2017, 14:16   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mostly commuting and occasional offroading
Quote:
Thank you Aroy. I should have written, it is mostly just the two of us. No other passengers. 10L was my max budget (for a new car), so was thinking of these two.
Abhi - decisions of this nature are usually made with heart rather than head. However, here are a few guidelines to help you organize your thoughts better:

a) Usage - if this is going to be your only car and you intend to use it for your daily commute, then I'd recommend the Thar, as it has better creature comforts (read A/C, power steering) compared to the Gypsy. Of course, it is more expensive as well. That said, my Gypsy is my daily commute, albeit I have other cars in my garage.

b) Budget - with a budget of 10 lac, you'd not get a new Thar. So you are left with a used Thar or a new Gypsy as options. Well maintained second hand Thar's (and Gypsy's for that matter) are not very easy to come by - so you'd have to exercise caution there.

c) Engines - both these machines are quite different on this front. While the Thar's CRDE mill is a torquey locomotive, the Gypsy's 1.3 lit MPFI is a butter-smooth, high revving, peppy one that will put a smile on your face every time you floor that pedal.

d) Fuel economy - not sure if it matters to you. I, for that matter, have never calculated the "kitna deti hai" for my Gypsy yet Of course, Thar will score here, given that it is a diesel.

e) Appeal - this is a very individual thing and I personally feel that both of these vehicles have a very different appeal altogether. Go with the one which makes you go weak in the knees at first look.

Having said all of the above, please do think twice before plonking your hard-earned money on either of these cars. I'd recommend driving each one at least once before you decide - these vehicles are not easy to live with for someone who is used to "regular" cars of today.

I take it that you are not open to a third option and hence, will not go that route. Please feel free to ask more questions, if it helps you decide.

Last edited by cool_dube : 30th September 2017 at 14:18.
cool_dube is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 16:53   #224
BHPian

Let me tell you my story. I needed a 4WD for my farmland in Kodai which has no roads. INfact it is filled with boulders. I need to be on 4L for about 15 minutes and everytime i go through the terrain my heart misses a beat wondering how in the world a Gypsy is able to do it.

Given a choice or 10 years from now, Gypsy would be a no-brainer for me. I dont need the AC, suspension or power steering. When i hit that terrain iam just beeming. I have owned a new Gypsy for 1 year and covered 8000 kms, just love it

And not to mention the 120 kph speed i can hit once i reach the highway

It basically depends on your usage. If you are going to use the vehicle regularly on rock , slush and primarily offroad i think its hard to beat a Gypsy on reliability.
shyamkrish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 17:57   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Abhi

b) Budget - with a budget of 10 lac, you'd not get a new Thar.
I think you can buy a new Thar for at least NEAR the 10 lakh line. I am talking tax, title, insurance....air freshener (small size).

Meanwhile back at the Maruti ranch, some media are still saying that the next generation JIMNY will be made and sold in India.

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/auto-n...-india-162727/

There is supposed to be some kind of unveiling this month on Jimny.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 2nd October 2017 at 17:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks