Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2010, 20:59   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Unreasonable dilemma! Thar Vs Gypsy! Mostly resolved Page 9.

@Jaggu:

My vote is to go for the Thar as it will be much more refined and you have kick-@ss Torque . Remove the anti-roll bars, add a shackle lift & jack up the front torsion bar, put bigger tires and you have an very off-road capable vehicle. The only concern will be the strength of the front axles. I sincerely doubt the Mahindra test track is as brutal as some terrain inhabited by Bangalore jeepers.

The gypsy and thar is a compromise, but I feel Thar will be the lesser of the devils.

@xingy: Maruthi keeps the Gypsy alive for Govt orders and not to sell a handful to civilians. The defence forces are happy with the petrol engine and they don't need the DDIS so I sincerely doubt DDIS will make it to the Gypsy for a hand full of civilian orders.

You have to realize that the Thar is not in the market because there is a huge market for it. It is here due to the passion of Mr. Behram and Team. They had to fight their way through marketing dept to make this a reallity. Unless there is the likes of Behram in Marzuki, you won't see an updated DDIS gypsy.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 24th December 2010 at 21:02.
Old 24th December 2010, 21:21   #32
Team-BHP Support

All I can say is am Overwelhmed with the responses! Trammway even called up and engaged me with more than an hour of conversation. Thats when i knew about the happening here. I am right now dashing from CBE to BLR and will reply once I reach.

But what if am to retain DwArF? 90% chance I can retain DwArF and look at another vehicle, then
Old 24th December 2010, 21:33   #33
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
All I can say is am Overwelhmed with the responses! Trammway even called up and engaged me with more than an hour of conversation. Thats when i knew about the happening here. I am right now dashing from CBE to BLR and will reply once I reach.

But what if am to retain DwArF? 90% chance I can retain DwArF and look at another vehicle, then
Then go with your heart and get the Thar !!
Old 24th December 2010, 22:16   #34
AWD
BHPian

I would suggest Thar to you. Its a new "older" vehicle!

Life is all about moving on, let go of your older Jeep before it starts consuming your time & resources. Remember too much attachment tp materialistic things is not so good. Todays things will become tomorrows antiques.
Old 24th December 2010, 22:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hey Jaggu,
My thoughts: when you have 2 vehicles basically for off-road use, you would slowly start liking one more than the other. Eventually, you would use only one. Also, prepping two vehicles for off-road would be an expensive affair.
Why not investing in a well maintained, bare basic, second hand vehicle which can carry Dwarf till the point where the trail starts (Tata 207 maybe)?
Cheers,
Deepak

PS: If its between the two, it shall be the Gypsy for me Ease of maintaining it, over Thar CRDe and access to Khan/Vijay for suggestions/help in case you want to get it off-road prepped.

Last edited by starter : 24th December 2010 at 22:22.
Old 24th December 2010, 23:40   #36
BHPian

I beg to differ in case of highway cruiseability of gypsy vs thar.

Yes, you can get better speeds in Thar but they way gypsy makes you feel(road presence + thrill) on highways is incomparable.

In my last trip to ladakh when i drove gypsy for long distance, I never had to honk to get the right of way and people become lot more courteous seeing a gypsy.

This is my personal experience, others may differ.

Amar

Last edited by Amar82 : 24th December 2010 at 23:41.
Old 25th December 2010, 00:31   #37
BHPian

No offences to anyone whatsoever, but I think you should definitely go for the Gypsy King. Thar does look impressive currently, but overall I am sure you will end up paying a lot on maintenance if you do buy the Thar.

Regards,
Zorro4X4
Old 25th December 2010, 01:21   #38
BHPian

Oh come on Jaggu, you know what you will buy, we all know Yes the heart, Always the heart
Old 25th December 2010, 09:08   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BUT when it comes to travelling long distance, my nightmare begins. No its not because DwArF sips petrol nor from reliability perspective. Its more to do with the high speed cruising and comfort. I can manage the elements, but the CJ3B is comfortable at 60-70 kmph, beyond that its spoiling the overall feel. Moreover when you have the rest of the gang in Gypsy and MM's, you eventually get a complex while cruising on a highway and they will curse you, waiting for you to catch up!

What do i do about it?
Simple solution:
Use the TOW BAR that you have. SERIOUSLY. It will work 100% of the time. It's just that you have not used it. I wonder why you then installed it in the first place.

Here is what you can do: Make sure that the 3-4 key jeeps in Bangalore have the rear hook for your tow bar working to 100% perfect condition that you are comfortable with. You make it a point to get that installed and working in those jeeps. That's it...!!!

Ok, next time, we are towing your CJ to the OTR venue. Done.!!!

One more option: You can leave 1 day before the rest of the Bangalore gang for the OTR venue

Quote:
One thing am sure, if i am to buy another 4x4 for my needs, it has to be brand new from the factory. ...
If this is JUST for off-road then how many 4x4 events outside of the 100KM range of Bangalore?? maybe 6-7 atmost in a year..!!!

Even if you want to do LEH, then these days you can do it extremely comfortably in your FIAT powered Suzuki Swift
Old 25th December 2010, 10:39   #40
BHPian

Quote:
One more option: You can leave 1 day before the rest of the Bangalore gang for the OTR venue

That's a good one Khan bhai

Last edited by Amartya : 25th December 2010 at 23:49.
Old 25th December 2010, 10:39   #41
Senior - BHPian

Thar Vs Gypsy!

Hi Jaggu,

The Gypsy has a few advantage wrt Thar CRDe.

1) Solid Axle

2) Higher RPM Engine = Can take considerably lower gearing

3) Lighter.

Which is easier to modify for OTR Requirements?

Do you want to modify a vehicle within its warranty/extended warranty period and get it cancelled or void.

Regards,

Arka

PS - Also please follow your heart, makes things less complicated.
Old 25th December 2010, 10:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu,

Going by your apprehensions it should be going by the mind for Thar and going by the heart for Gypsy.

Selling your CJ3B? If so please don't. Your petrol 3B is for keeps!

Based on my personal experience driving both vehicles, advice to you:

Gypsy is a very capable vehicle, I respect it, going by my experience and its proven versatility especially in the jungles and off roads terrains.

Its compact sizes body can only be beaten by a 3B.

Still I would not call it a Jeep.

Thar is a new generation 4X4, most of us have yet to experience. The body dimensions being the same as 540/ 50, but the ride quality due to the technology is humongous and just incomparable and what the Gypsy can be in all departments head to head is not fair to discuss.

CRDE under the hood for highway cruising which is proven and tested on a Scorpio for years doesn't need more of the same. It is you who will need to wait for them to catch up when driving for an OTR venue.

Regarding its off-road prowess, you have seen a bit of that at the AKC.

Regards,
Old 25th December 2010, 11:42   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Power to weight ratio might be close BUT torque to weight ratio, which matters in offroad. Thar will win.
@Jaggu - I don’t agree to this,

Torque to weight ratio only helps in OTR where surface has something to offer. Other then rocks or very long climbs every thing can be managed with the momentum gained in short distance.

Ones two or three jeeps do a track, it normally scraps the top surface and then a torquey vehicle only digs it further.

In most of the situations you need to float on the surface in OTR conditions whether it is sand or deep slush/mud or short climbs with scraped surface. In these conditions it is almost impossible to get any help from digging to get hard surface.

I will again come back to same, for OTR also lighter vehicle is an advantage.

To get the benefit of torque you can any time install the Diff lock and crawling gear ratio gears in your gypsy within 30 k.

Soft Top gypsy without top is a head turner even in stock condition. For MM540/ Thar you need to do some cosmetic changes (May be another 100 k) to get the same response.

Last edited by Crazy4Power : 25th December 2010 at 11:44.
Old 25th December 2010, 13:47   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Keep your 3B and tow it man...where is that STREE-raj...otherwise investing in a TATA 207 makes superb sense, load it in the loading bay and drive off.

Actually, this seems like a decent idea. Is there space in the loading bay?
Old 25th December 2010, 15:40   #45
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now we are talking. Just wait another week (or in the whereabouts) for the Team-BHP Thar Review. You'll have your answer.

Personally though, since you already have a petrol 4x4, I'd recommend the Thar.

Most Viewed