Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2010, 18:45   #16
BHPian

Re: Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Safety first. Make sure the stuff that can fail and kill you....doesn't. So, check the brakes and suspension, especially front suspension, first, steering ,too. Be prepared for a siege. Be patient. To do this right takes time.
I accept your point. In fact what we are planning is stripping the vehicle and slowly work on the body and while it is being done (which the mech says will take time), the mechanicals particularly the areas which you all have pointed out will be serviced. I have taken a time frame of at least six months to do it. In fact patience is one thing that I have loads of right now as am sure to run short of money to do it right very fast.

Present update is that the front parts of the body like fenders, bonnet, grill etc have been removed and radiator, dynamo, petrol tank etc have been removed for cleaning/servicing. Next will be the brake lines and related parts, GB and the steering box. Will be taking it slow and pls provide pointers about what I should keep an eye for while doing each of these parts/mechanicals.

Also, just wanted to share my vision of how I'd like to have my 3B look like. (Am using someone elses photos, owners pls excuse). Pls provide your valuable inputs.

Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD-boschright.jpg

Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD-img00398201004051806.jpg

Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD-jeepright.jpg
Old 28th December 2010, 19:23   #17
BHPian

Buddy, whatever you do to the Jeep, make sure you retain the originality. These are very few vehicles, which look best in their original form.

Cheers,
rajesh
Old 28th December 2010, 20:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

+1 to 2500cc. Very few people go after originality! Though I am not against mods, it is the individual choice but I am all after orginality.
Old 28th December 2010, 20:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

These are subtle mods on a CJ3B, i am sure it will look good if the MODs are not too loud.

Pramod
Old 28th December 2010, 23:01   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
+1 to 2500cc. Very few people go after originality! Though I am not against mods, it is the individual choice but I am all after orginality.
I agree fully and I myself am intending to keep it original as much as I can at least in terms of looks. So, the 3rd pic seemed original to me and the 1st two closely resembles the 3 rd vehicle. So, are these not nearer to original? I think they are. Your views friends?

I have a query as well. The mech says that the carb might need some serious work though he will confirm once he has a closer look. But, says if it has got any problems then we should change the carb altogether and put in a M800 or Omni carb which should work like "dream" and will also improve the much needed FE. Is it true?
Old 29th December 2010, 01:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

I guess a Solex Carb is the best fit for this.

I have a friend in Bangalore who is experimenting with a Gypsy carb on his CJ3b. He just got an adaptor kind of thing fabricated so that the carb fits on the Hurricane. He is out of town now for it to be tested. Theoretically it is supposed to fit well and also give a FE of up to 15 (theoretically for now) Will know once we have actually tested the same. I will try to post a pic of the alteration after seeking permission from the guy who has "invented" this.

Last edited by Shubz : 29th December 2010 at 01:52.
Old 29th December 2010, 01:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
I agree fully and I myself am intending to keep it original as much as I can at least in terms of looks. So, the 3rd pic seemed original to me and the 1st two closely resembles the 3 rd vehicle. So, are these not nearer to original? I think they are. Your views friends?

I have a query as well. The mech says that the carb might need some serious work though he will confirm once he has a closer look. But, says if it has got any problems then we should change the carb altogether and put in a M800 or Omni carb which should work like "dream" and will also improve the much needed FE. Is it true?
as far as the looks go all the above pics are of orignal militry application jeeps, the split window is a gun holding provission. There is nothing called a civillian version as all these jeeps were built for militry applications and later converted to civilain use. Its better to replace the carb if it requires serious work, you will not get rebuild kits that easily, but dot throw away this car keep it for later rebuilds. The maruti 800/omni carb will give you good millage but will seriously lack power you need for OTRs, on the other hand a gypsy car is difficult to get especially in remote places like yours, a new one will cost a wooping 18k so think if you want it. You can contact some fellow members like jeepcaptain as he too has a LHD CJ3B and can help you source parts for your jeep(he is a true blue jeeper), you can also get in touch with DKG, jaggu and to some extent samurai(he has a diesel version of your jeep)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
I guess a Solex Carb is the best fit for this.

I have a friend in Bangalore who is experimenting with a Gypsy carb. He just got an adaptor kind of thing fabricated so that the carb fits on the Hurricane. He is out of town now for it to be tested. Theoretically it is supposed to fit well and also give a FE of up to 15 (theoretically for now) Will know once we have actually tested the same. I will try to post a pic of the alteration after seeking permission from the guy who has "invented" this.
You will not get a FE of 15 with gypsy carb as the jets are much bigger and will consume more fuel, a 800/omni carb is great for millage oriented people and a custom mount for the carb will be little difficult for him to get in his place.

Pramod
Old 29th December 2010, 02:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

I agree 15 may not be possible. But I have personally seen the mount and seems like a snug fit. Just waiting for the mechanic to complete a few more things in the fuel line etc and got to get it running. Only then we would know the real success/failure story of the same.

FYI - My 1965 LHD CJ3b has a Solex and I believe I am getting around 5-7 kmpl (Haven't really checked with a bottle etc yet)

Last edited by Shubz : 29th December 2010 at 02:39.
Old 29th December 2010, 02:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Jeep. Best of luck with the restoration. Enjoy! Drive safe on and off the roads.
Old 29th December 2010, 14:26   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
You will not get a FE of 15 with gypsy carb as the jets are much bigger and will consume more fuel, a 800/omni carb is great for millage oriented people and a custom mount for the carb will be little difficult for him to get in his place.
Well..even if not 15 kmpl (undergoing tests I presume), how much can I expect with a 800/Omni carb(I can live with slight lack of power so long as the vehicle does not starve and stall and if it improves FE then )? And do I need a custom mount to fit 800/Omni carb? Since my existing carb is beyond repair it seems, I need to go for something that is easily available/serviceable here. Can you guys have a look at the pics and tell me whether the carb is the original solex type or what? Also pls guide about the fuel pump. I think this is the 2nd suspect item right now.
Old 29th December 2010, 17:05   #26
BHPian

go in for a solex carb and put in 140 sized mjet, tuned well it gives 10kmpl easy and runs like a monster on leash.
i have the same set up and these are the fe that i am getting
for more fe shift to 127mjt though it will not affect much, also make sure to put in FWH for improving your fe by 2kmpl at least not to mention better handling on road
dont go in for the maruti carbs , u will not enjoy the wheezing
Old 29th December 2010, 17:17   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Since my existing carb is beyond repair it seems, I need to go for something that is easily available/serviceable here. Can you guys have a look at the pics and tell me whether the carb is the original solex type or what?
Only one picture you posted shows the carb and that too from distance, from the looks of it, it seems to be the solex. What is wrong with it? Did the mech try cleaning it up?

What i would suggest is get a bucket full of petrol and leave the carb inside it overnight, then strip and clean the carb thoroughly and see if things work out.
Old 29th December 2010, 21:25   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
from the looks of it, it seems to be the solex. What is wrong with it? Did the mech try cleaning it up?
I don't know for sure whether its okay or not as we have not yet put it to use i.e., tried starting the engine. But what the mech said that there are many small parts which might not be readily available if suddely required and routes for air, fuel etc might not be clear after so many years of disuse. So suggested we go for a maruti carb.

But, am keeping my fingers crossed and do hope that the original solex works out.

@docfreak - if I get 10 kmpl with the same performance as you say with the orginal carb, am more than happy. Will surely bother you even more to learn how you are managing that, with what settings/tunings, once I get my engine up and running.
Old 29th December 2010, 21:48   #29
Team-BHP Support

It is a very simple carb, so simple that i took the print out of the carb split picture, and stripped, cleaned and assembled it back in under 1 hour.

But as i said early, dont be in a hurry to start the engine, strip it clean it and ensure everything is aok before cranking it. I get 7-8 in BLR traffic and 10 kmpl on longer highway runs on 130 jets. 140's run very rich in our BLR altitude and gives 6 kmpl at the most in city.

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th December 2010 at 21:50.
Old 29th December 2010, 22:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

7-8 - That is what I am getting as well on my Solex. So I am good! Thanks Jaggu for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
It is a very simple carb, so simple that i took the print out of the carb split picture, and stripped, cleaned and assembled it back in under 1 hour.

But as i said early, dont be in a hurry to start the engine, strip it clean it and ensure everything is aok before cranking it. I get 7-8 in BLR traffic and 10 kmpl on longer highway runs on 130 jets. 140's run very rich in our BLR altitude and gives 6 kmpl at the most in city.

Most Viewed