Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2010, 23:36   #1
BHPian

Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD

Phew!! After much deliberations, discussions, thinking, heartburn etc and going through endless uncertainty over whether I should buy the CJ3B or the CJ340 (details in my earlier post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...graveyard.html), finally I am also a proud owner of this 1966 model CJ3B LHD. And thus I have upgraded myself from a wannabe Jeeper to a newbie Jeeper. Am so happy to be a part of the legendary CJ3B family and do feel at home among fellow BHPians. I am now looking forward to all the help that I can muster from all the BHPians as I am an absolute zero in terms of technical/mechanical knowhow. So, I’ll be at the mercy of my mechanic without you guys being there to guide and advice me. I am planning on starting the work slowly and in bits and pieces from tomorrow itself. Following are the things that I have identified as priority-
1)The body needs extensive work particularly the floor board which is see through condition and which needs to be changed. Mech is asking for Rs 15k for entire body works excluding painting. Is it ok? (For painting he is asking Rs 8.5K including materials)
2) Will try to follow Behram Dhabhar’s cardinal rule as mentioned in a different thread about not touching the engine, gear box, axle etc if they seem ok. So planning just complete clean up/servicing and oil change jobs for engine, GB, diff etc. Pls inform if it is ok and challenges to be faced if any
3) Electrical wirings are “more or less ok” as per the mech, just needs some reconnections and rewiring. Is it going to be good enough
4) The jeep is 4*4 ready as per the mech, except the 2 levers to engage the 4*4 which are missing. As per the mech, the propeller shaft etc are in place and he can get it working just by putting the 2 levers in place. Is it going to be that easy
5) The brakes at the moment are not working. Hoping that it works after some checks and servicing
6) The tyres need to be changed. Pls inform can the army spec 7.50*16 MRF Sandgrips be fitted to the stock rims for the CJ3B and without making any changes to hub/axle settings? Its currently running on 6.00*16 tyres.

Here are some of the pics that I took while towing the vehicle home.

Mech "driving" the towed 3B
Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD-26122010085.jpg

Thats my mech who'll do the work. Sure is a heavyweight, hoping that does the work equally good.
Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD-26122010087.jpg

Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD-26122010088.jpg

Hoping for your valuable inputs throughout this journey of restoring this legend.
PS- Mods you can close my previous thread as I want to document my progress with this vehicle in this single thread.
Old 27th December 2010, 00:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD

Congrats on the buy

Mind quoting how much you picked it up for? Isnt 15k fairly decent for the amount of body work that would be required?

Will be watching this post
Old 27th December 2010, 02:35   #3
BHPian

congratulation on the CJ3B, I was reading your old post and was thinking how will he manage to restore this. I guess the process has started now.

I will have a daily visit to your thread so please do update us with the development.

Now, you should have lot of patience to restore to this.
Old 27th December 2010, 05:52   #4
BHPian

congrats for the buy . now starts the learning curve for you as well as the excitement and the disappointments that come.
you can go about restoring it in two ways either strip it down to the chasis and build it up again- which i would prefer as it gives you assured results and reliability. or else you could get it into running condition with minimum work and keep getting things sorted out as you go-but thats a process which gives you far more headache as it takes longer and the reliability will be under a question mark fpr a long time. but on the other hand when u do it gradually, you learn as you go.
the jobs ehich you should attend as priority:
  1. clean the complete fuel line- tank, pipes - change the pipes and getthe tank cleaned and cleared of all the rust
  2. service the carb
  3. get in a new point,condensor assembly and coil
  4. change the spark plugs
  5. check the complete wiring
  6. change the radiator hoses, get the radiator cleaned
  7. new battery
  8. install a new fuse box
  9. check the complete exhaust system for any blockages
  10. change all the oils
  11. check and replace the complete brake system- the cylinder,lines to be flushed, pads to be changed.
this minimum work should get her up and about, then as you keep going you can decide for the need doing up the g.box, t.case, steering , clutch and all else.
the body you should attend to at the last. you could also try to find a cl340 tub and put that instead of repairing your existing one, i did that and it takes off some headache and pain

remember to enjoy the whole process and it will take atleast an year to get her completely sorted out as you dream

regards
sharat
Old 27th December 2010, 07:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
congrats for the buy . now starts the learning curve for you as well as the excitement and the disappointments that come.
Oh! so true.
Wanderer4X4,
Congratulations, you have not only bought yourself a Jeep but also atleast a year of unflinching dedication with it.

It sure is a 3B and LHD too, it sure needs tremendous works on the body.
The suspension, mechanicals etc will need to be seen to assess the extent works there.

AbheekG, is doing similar job in Nagpur.
Many respected members like UBS Sir, Sir BD, Arka, Trammway are there to guide you every step.

You will just love it, after its done.

Regards,
Old 27th December 2010, 10:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Congrats on the buy

Mind quoting how much you picked it up for? Isnt 15k fairly decent for the amount of body work that would be required?

Will be watching this post
Thanks! I picked it up for 30K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
the body you should attend to at the last. you could also try to find a cl340 tub and put that instead of repairing your existing one, i did that and it takes off some headache and pain
Yes, thats what I planned initially, but the body is in an unusable condition. Moreover, its very difficult to find a complete real CJ/CL340 body tub out here, so I have no option but to do the body.

Following are some of this mornings photos for you all to see and guide me around.

In the engine compartmnt, pls guide if everything is in order. To my untrained eyes, most of the parts seem intact. But you never know. Pls see if you all can find out whether the 4x4 is still workable. I think the front prop shaft is missing.

While towing the mech had put in some brake oil to try to revive the brakes, but to no avail. This morning I see that some oil is leaking from the right rear wheel. So what could be the cause?
Attached Thumbnails
Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD-27122010090.jpg  

Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD-27122010091.jpg  

Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD-27122010092.jpg  

Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD-27122010093.jpg  

Old 27th December 2010, 10:12   #7
BHPian

Posting another reply as I was not able to attach all the pics in the previous one.

Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD-27122010099.jpg

Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD-27122010108.jpg

Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD-27122010095.jpg

The leaking brake fluid that I was talking of.
Yippie!! Finally bought the dream - 1966 CJ3B LHD-27122010096.jpg
Old 27th December 2010, 11:19   #8
Team-BHP Support

LHD 3JB! Congratulations! And all the very best.

First you need to get the vehicle washed thoroughly! Split the body from the chassis and proceed for a complete strip/overhaul and refit. I would seriously suggest you to stay away from doing partial overhaul/repair.
Old 27th December 2010, 15:09   #9
BHPian

I have a question. The mech says that the dynamo does not seem too healthy. So he is suggesting an alternator as it will be more reliable and battery friendly. Pls inform if it is true keeping in mind reliability and ease of maintenance. Also if an alternator is fitted is there any particular make/model/design that I should look for?
Old 27th December 2010, 17:11   #10
Team-BHP Support

Yup Alternator upgrade is a good idea, you can go with 35 amp rating if you are not adding too many lights or other accessories like winch. Any reliable like lucas or bosch should work fine.
Old 27th December 2010, 19:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!

Good to see one more CJ3B is saved from scrapped. As the drive terrain is in working order, the foremost things which I would do is

0. Change the consumables - Change all the oils (Engine, Gearbox, Transfer case and Differentials ) and rubber items such as radiator hose and belts.

1. Fix the brake - As the jeep seems to be aged and not in use identify and change the brake tubes, brake union, brake cylinders(if not in good condition), TC Value, Brake oil and brake drum(never try short cuts rubbing the brake drum surface etc, go for new brake drum large size) which are faulty. After all Brake is one essential thing you never miss to give attention.

2. Body Work (Tinker and Paint) - Do a neat tinker job and you can choose whatever you like for painting make sure a quality work is done.

3. Wiring - Please do not attempt patch and match kind of job in wiring, try a pucca fresh wiring and attempt to restore the wiriging without compromise. Even if all things works as the age factor with the jeep is more, the rubber on the copper wires would have been hardened already and short circuits and unwanted issues may happen so change the complete wiring.

4. Suspensions - Attend this with new plates if required.

5. Steering - One most important thing on a Jeep is steering and related issues (refer death wobble). So make sure you check tyres, tie-rod and ends, king pin and bearings and the steering box and column itself.

Once you fix the above, I'm sure you will start looking at upgrades and add ons(top, recovery gear and FWH etc.).

Wish you a very happy restoration experience

Last edited by trammway : 27th December 2010 at 20:00.
Old 27th December 2010, 20:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wanderer sir,

Good pick! Welcome to the family of LHD's! I own one too. As the esteemed Jeep gurus like Jaggu, Fazal and other mentioned - It is a different kind of joy of restoring this!

Can you please post pics of the front diff? Doesn't seem like there is a 4wd on this.

15k sounds reasonable for the amount of beating the body has taken due to rust. Please do keep us posted on the progress. Would be keenly watching this thread.

And to add it all... The great UBS sir is just a stone's throw away for you! Lucky you!

Regards,
Shub
Old 27th December 2010, 21:28   #13
BHPian

Congratulations .

Where did you picked it up (If my understanding is correct Should be either Nagaon or Tezpur).

Where are you getting it restored and whats the name of the Mechanic.

For painting you may also try the painters at ByPass. They do it in Heat Chamber resulting in much better quality and finish.
Old 28th December 2010, 11:42   #14
BHPian

you can get the 340 bodies/tubs in mayapuri, it would be worthwhile to arrange and pick up one, else you could go to panagarh, or jorhat.
engine parts seem in place but remains to be seen how useful they are.
start by complete strip down, and go bit by bit, part by part.
regards
sharat
Old 28th December 2010, 14:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Safety first. Make sure the stuff that can fail and kill you....doesn't. So, check the brakes and suspension, especially front suspension, first, steering ,too. Having your seat fall thru and hit the pavement is not generally recommended either. But maybe you can have somebody tack weld enough sheet metal for a temporary fix to the floor. The welder can use scrap and you don't have to even paint it. I think most of us would rather see you attend to the mechanicals first.

Be prepared for a siege. Be patient. To do this right takes time.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 28th December 2010 at 14:11.

Most Viewed