Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2011, 17:20   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
@dhanushs: You said that the stock tyres were 15 inch. The Hankooks on this jeep is also 255/60R15, a much lower profile. Have you noticed an increase in pick-up due to the lower diameter? The final drive ratio would be different now and the speedo reading should be affected as well.

Could you tell me the size of the original tyres? Also, what is the PCD of the wheels?
The stock tyres are 16". 185/85 R16 as mentioned in the brochure and also here somewhere.
Old 18th May 2011, 15:39   #62
AWD
BHPian

By-chance saw the Thar Di today, wasn't available for TD though. All the things being constant, if a couple of things are sorted, I can go in for the Di.
1) Front leg-room for the driver is very limited. The seat does not adjust. Now if we can swap this seat with Thar Crdi's front seat & if it works fine, this issue would be taken care off.

2) A.C: As Bolero DI has an A.C, should'nt it be doable on this one too(4x2 or 4x4)?
Old 18th May 2011, 17:09   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
1) Front leg-room for the driver is very limited. The seat does not adjust. Now if we can swap this seat with Thar Crdi's front seat & if it works fine, this issue would be taken care of. 2) A.C: As Bolero DI has an A.C, should'nt it be doable on this one too (4x2 or 4x4)?
Dear AWD - Thar DI seats meet Indian CMVR. Thar CRDe seats meet EEC / Indian CMVR. The two are as different as chalk and cheese. The Thar DI toolbox is on the RH side, the Thar CRDe toolbox is on the LH side. The track lengths are also different in order to meet glass wiping ABC area CMVR. . Bolero DI AC is a 2WD vehicle having IFS. Thar DI does not have IFS (if Thar DI gets IFS, somebody from down south will become extremely unhappy). .

By the way, the Thar DI engine develops some 66 odd BHP as compared to 105 of Thar CRDe and it also has a 3.73:1 axle ratio as compared to 4.30 of Thar CRDe, which please remember.

YOUR CALL SIRJI!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 18th May 2011, 17:23   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear AWD - Thar DI seats meet Indian CMVR. Thar CRDe seats meet EEC / Indian CMVR. The two are as different as chalk and cheese. The Thar DI toolbox is on the RH side, the Thar CRDe toolbox is on the LH side. The track lengths are also different in order to meet glass wiping ABC area CMVR. . Bolero DI AC is a 2WD vehicle having IFS. Thar DI does not have IFS (if Thar DI gets IFS, somebody from down south will become extremely unhappy). .

By the way, the Thar DI engine develops some 66 odd BHP as compared to 105 of Thar CRDe and it also has a 3.73:1 axle ratio as compared to 4.30 of Thar CRDe, which please remember.

YOUR CALL SIRJI!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Behram Sir, Is the Thar DI 4x4 out now?

Sorry If its mentioned somewhere earlier.
Cheers
Shibu
Old 18th May 2011, 17:42   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCaptain View Post
Dear Behram Sir, Is the Thar DI 4x4 out now? Sorry If its mentioned somewhere earlier. Cheers. Shibu
Dear Shibu - the simple answer is "yes".

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 17:45   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is the Thar DI 4x4 out now?
Hey Shibu, if you are asking if the DI 4x4 is out on sale, then yes. The Thar DI 2WD,4WD and the Crde 4WD where all launched together. The DI 4x4 is priced at a premium of about 40k.

Cheers!
Dhanush
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 18:15   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Except, it doesn't get delivered. The Thar DI 4x4 that was booked in January end at Udupi still doesn't have an estimated delivery time. The guy who booked it is now thinking of cancelling the order.
Old 18th May 2011, 18:24   #68
BHPian

Quote:

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hey Shibu, if you are asking if the DI 4x4 is out on sale, then yes. The Thar DI 2WD,4WD and the Crde 4WD where all launched together. The DI 4x4 is priced at a premium of about 40k.
Cheers!
Dhanush
Dear Dhanush, I know that dear. But I think I should have rephrased my question. Has the DI 4x4 Thar has be delivered to customers?? That was my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Except, it doesn't get delivered. The Thar DI 4x4 that was booked in January end at Udupi still doesn't have an estimated delivery time. The guy who booked it is now thinking of cancelling the order.
Dear Sharath, Exactly.
Even I know many friends who has booked Thar DI 4x4 and still hasnt got delivery and they dont know when they will get it.
Regards
Shibu
Old 18th May 2011, 18:35   #69
Senior - BHPian

I saw a KL40 2WD Mdi around hosur, once, twice, and many more times in last few days. Caught up with the driver to find that even the 2wd is in short supply to Salem region and he had to settle for a KL regn to run his business. He did not know that the 'double housing' version even existed.
Old 18th May 2011, 18:37   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Dhanush, I know that dear. But I think I should have rephrased my question. Has the DI 4x4 Thar has be delivered to customers?? That was my question.
Ah.. Shibu, even I thought you asking such a question!!.. My bad.

Well, just now my friend from ITL Motors called me, with a new Verito in his possession. It seems that Samurai is right!.. The Thar Di 4x4 has NEVER been delivered. . After the initial batch, even the 2nd lot of Di 4x2 came only few days before, it seems. Still no 4x2.
Old 18th May 2011, 19:42   #71
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
The Thar DI toolbox is on the RH side, the Thar CRDe toolbox is on the LH side. The track lengths are also different in order to meet glass wiping ABC area CMVR. has a 3.73:1 axle ratio as compared to 4.30 of Thar CRDe
Thanks. I guess Thar Crde's left seat is adjustable too, i.e. one over the tool box. For an adjustable drivers seat on Di, one would just need to bolt on the rails over which the given seat should do the job.

W.r.t Axle ratios, does that imply that fitting an A.C. on Di is im-possible? i.e. without tinkering with the Axle ratios.

If Di can take an A.C, Im game for it. Must be some way out! An easy one at that! Local Mahindra dealership has no idea about A.C. on Di & for Crde they say you have to get a custom job from outside. I think it should be doable on Di 4x2. What say?

Quote:
Dear Behram Sir, Is the Thar DI 4x4 out now?
"Out", as if "out" in the market or "out" from the window(to bolster Crde's case)!

Quote:
Which one?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 18th May 2011 at 23:03. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts.
Old 18th May 2011, 22:42   #72
BHPian

Dear Behram Sir,

You have done a truely fantastic job and it is Thar owners like me who appreciate the fact in totality. What a machine you have created?
Last Sunday, I travelled from Chandigarh to Jalandhar in my Thar and my average speed must have been around 100 kms/hr and there was not a single Toll booth where I was not approached by people from vehciles following me, asking me about the Thar. It was overwhelming!
Thar is a super-product and I am sure in the coming future, it will prove to be a top seller in the M&M lineup.
I am certain M&M are working on the AC & the HT issue and once those are accomplished, Thar sales will speak for themselves.

Warm regards,
Sandeep.

Last edited by GTO : 19th May 2011 at 11:21. Reason: Quoted post has been removed
Janjua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 22:58   #73
Team-BHP Support

Slightly offtopic but someone with better business plan is "rumored" to be aggressively working on one such product. Keeping it crossed

Last edited by GTO : 19th May 2011 at 11:29. Reason: Quoted post on its way to deletion
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 23:28   #74
AWD
BHPian

That's competition, a healthy one. We at Tbhp are far more aware of safety issues, need to see a EuroNCAP atleast or NHTSA. Remember where the Scorpio failed miserably.

Kindly visit the Indian hinterland, 60-70kmph is the average speed & NH's are capped at ~80kph. Don't know where these 140kph figures come from!

Those very wise people at Tbhp are pointing out the flaws/shortcomings in Thar but obviously not being taken well by Team-Mahindra.

Wish Team Mahindra dreams bigger, does not day dream & takes consumer feedback in their stride & not ridicule/dismiss it.

Well, I had just asked simple question on Thar Di's Seats & A.C. Sadly those didn't get answered but some "Dream lyrics" were played instead.

Best of luck with the Dreams.

Last edited by AWD : 18th May 2011 at 23:30.
Old 18th May 2011, 23:40   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Slightly offtopic but someone with better business plan is "rumored" to be aggressively working on one such product. Keeping it crossed
I think i know what you are talking about
I heard the same too, from a trusted source.
Cheers,
Deepak

PS: BD Sir, have you test driven the new Hyundai Verna (fluidic) Diesel? I fear you would be seeing this C segment car becoming tinier and tinier in your windscreen. Anyway, was really going "faaaast" the base scope requirement you had in mind for Thar? If yes, why do we have a bread-box like body?
starter is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed