Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2011, 00:04   #76
AWD
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!

The other day I tried a few of new hatches & was forced to question myself "man do you want to be pushed back to the Agrarian, archiac, back to the past, literal dabba the Thar is"!
The game has moved forward significantly, substantially. For off-roading needs one can get a 2nd hand MM540/550, do it up to own interest & still pay only a fraction of Thar's cost, max ~2.5L. While with 7-8L, one can get the best of hatchbacks, sit in supreme comfort, relish the modern class, put on the heater or A.C. as required & be merry. Plus, one always has the confidence while doing high speeds of being safe & secure. Moreover keep your family & loved ones safe too.

Ultimately one would be able to play & listen to "Power of dream" & finally be able to dream big!
Old 19th May 2011, 01:21   #77
Senior - BHPian

Dear AWD.

Manufacturers design vehicles with lot of things in Mind and its to suit a wider range of users.

As far custom MM540/550 is concerned, not everyone is knowledgeble to get the correct job done.It also requires lot of time and it will never be as reliable as a New JEEP.

As far as comparing hatchbacks in concerned , its a different category isnt it and its unfair to compare THAR with any hatchbacks in first place.

No one test drives hatchbacks while looking for a THAR.

Also its a JEEP and it should feel like one, so small things like rattles and fit and finish can be ignored IMO if it serves the JEEP thing and Feel.

THAR Di with AC and IFS priced under 6L would be a good buy.
The way Mahindra has taken BOLERO to a new level by continuous improvements, i am sure we will see more variants of THAR.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 04:59   #78
BANNED

So, went to bed last night thinking about the Thar.

Had a dream as well. There I was, at a 5 Star Hotel lobby, waiting for the valet to bring my shiny new Black Thar around. All the people, are watching me and my ride as I jump in and prepare for my grand exit. Suddenly a pretty girl walks up, and asks me something. I try to roll the window down to hear her, and the window winder handle breaks off in my hand!!, in panic I try to reach across the passenger door and try the window there, and damn!!, that one breaks too. (Should have known 3 weeks was too long for them to last!!). By then, the girl has started giggling, a few people have noticed, and I try to make a hasty exit. Sadly, after the long high speed drive to the city, had forgotten to fill up before checking in, and had only 1/4 tank of diesel left. The exit from the hotel involved driving up an exit ramp. I make it halfway, and the engine stalls. No amount of cranking will start the damn thing. By now all the Beemers and Mercs in the exit queue are honking. I wake up in a cold sweat.

I now realize the meaning of the "Power of Dreams".

All jokes aside, I am surprised at some of the replies in support of the lame excuse of a vehicle the Thar is.

Complacency breeds Mediocrity. Its really sad when it gets to a point when even Mediocre needs praise.

And good luck to all the potential guinea pig customers who can help R&D make it a marginally better product. Another sign of an extremely complacent customer base, for which there is no shortage here.

Last edited by gthang : 19th May 2011 at 05:03. Reason: To Edit
gthang is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 07:17   #79
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for reaffirming that the Thar will come with an AC.So finally when the Thar is launched in Dehradun i hope it will be in AC guise and i will be the first one to buy it here.Thanks!!
Old 19th May 2011, 09:47   #80
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Manufacturers design vehicles with lot of things in Mind and its to suit a wider range of users.
Most of the would be users/huge consumer base/control group on this board has outlined the failures in the vehicle. Don't you think they represent the market at large & its sentiment!

Quote:
As far custom MM540/550 It requires lot of time and it will never be as reliable as a New JEEP.
If the users reviews are to be believed, the new Thar isn't that reliable too!

Quote:
As far as comparing hatchbacks in concerned , its a different category isnt it and its unfair to compare THAR with any hatchbacks in first place.
Yes the categories are completely different but that's where the difference ends. We live in modern times, vehicles/four-wheelers have changed tremendously from the times of Amby, Contessa, 540, etc. A consumer is expected to pay ~7-8L for a product in which one can lay hands on the best that is present in the market. People want a contemporary, comfortable, modern & above all a safe vehicle for themselves & their families.

Quote:
No one test drives hatchbacks while looking for a THAR.
Also its a JEEP and it should feel like one, so small things like rattles and fit and finish can be ignored IMO if it serves the JEEP thing and Feel.
No, I did. Why not! Im ready to overlook my 4x4 needs in-lieu of a contemporary vehicle that's roady worthy & safe.

I don't mind the small rattles & squeaks, when there are larger issues with the vehicle.

Quote:
THAR Di with AC and IFS priced under 6L would be a good buy.
The way Mahindra has taken BOLERO to a new level by continuous improvements, i am sure we will see more variants of THAR.
I just asked whether an A.C. can be fitted on to the Di without problems. Instead of a straight reply, Im doled out some "Dream" lyrics! BTW, these antiquated Jeeps should be priced lower becasue the development costs are pretty low.

Bolero is at the same old level Saar, just that it finds favour among the non-demanding Rural market does not mean its a good product. Good that MM is managing to sell it well & we want the Thar to do good as-well & so are pointing out the changes that could help it acheiving its sales targets.

Last edited by AWD : 19th May 2011 at 09:48.
Old 19th May 2011, 14:13   #81
Senior - BHPian

Lol @ Gthang. Hilarious man!

Jokes apart this may not be the exact scene but i too for one do not subscribe to the price at which the Thar is released at. No frills and no good price. They are pushing it as an offroader and they should first notice how the Cat_con sitting dangerously low for many a chota mota otr will be the first thing busted. We saw that on the Examm last year and also in Alibaug where it forst appeared as a test vehicle. They should have taken BehramBhai's suggestions and done something with that. I cant think of one person who will go in for the Thar as a daily family car so what section of the market are they directing the Thar at. The Thar at Alibaug was a different beast, different engine, different tuning and i guess a different ECU/ECM. they killed that really go anywhere car by urbanizing it.

To make the Thar into an offroader one would have to incur a hefty bill, so i agree with the suggestion of sourcing a MM550 and doing it up as you would want. Im doing just that!

@ Navpreet -
The Thar is presently available without the company fitted a/c and the a/c fitting is an dealer fitment option. Strangely, it does come fitted with a condenser im told.

Last edited by V-16 : 19th May 2011 at 14:14.
Old 19th May 2011, 14:42   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post

@ Navpreet -
The Thar is presently available without the company fitted a/c and the a/c fitting is an dealer fitment option. Strangely, it does come fitted with a condenser im told.
Gogi Ji. You missed out on a post by BD Sir in which he stated that "NOT working on a AC for the Thar for the future would be stupid" So we get the whiff that its coming.
Old 19th May 2011, 15:44   #83
Senior - BHPian

Ops sorry Navpreet but i couldnt find the post??!!
Old 19th May 2011, 15:46   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
@ Navpreet -[/b] The Thar is presently available without the company fitted a/c and the a/c fitting is an dealer fitment option. Strangely, it does come fitted with a condenser im told.
Since this is the MDI thread, I am assuming you are talking about Thar MDI.

A while back Behram pointed out that installing AC in MDI is not possible: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2295065
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 15:52   #85
Senior - BHPian

Gogi Ji, BD sir was talking about the Thar CRDE here and his posts got deleted.But i saw them before they got deleted hence my reply was for that post.Thats why the confusion.

I was in no was refering to the Thar DI.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 19th May 2011 at 15:55.
Old 19th May 2011, 17:04   #86
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
A while back Behram pointed out that installing AC in MDI is not possible
I read some member here saying that he saw a Di with A.C. in his City. What's your say on this, is it easily doable(either 4x4 or 4x2 or both)? Maybe some Tbhp experts can shed more light on this!
Old 19th May 2011, 17:20   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HAR Di with AC and IFS priced under 6L would be a good buy.
Why would the Thar Mdi require IFS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Suddenly a pretty girl walks up, and asks me something. I try to roll the window down to hear her, and the window winder handle breaks off in my hand!!, in panic I try to reach across the passenger door and try the window there, and damn!!, that one breaks too. (Should have known 3 weeks was too long for them to last!!).
LOL,Both windows are jammed shut and no A/C. Poor you must have been drenched in sweat.

Last edited by Mpower : 19th May 2011 at 17:22.
Old 6th July 2011, 12:32   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey,

Just got a call from a friendly sales person at ITL Motors, that the deliveries of Thar Di 4x4 started. Not sure if this is an old news, but thought of updating.

Cheers.
Old 6th July 2011, 17:28   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hey,

Just got a call from a friendly sales person at ITL Motors, that the deliveries of Thar Di 4x4 started. Not sure if this is an old news, but thought of updating.

Cheers.
Oh wow thats great new for offroaders . I have heard the DI is a work horse . Any idea of the price ?
Old 6th July 2011, 18:23   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
Oh wow thats great new for offroaders . I have heard the DI is a work horse . Any idea of the price ?
It was priced @4.81 ex showroom, in Calicut, 6 months back. Not sure if its changed now.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2223519
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks