Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2011, 17:30   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4gleeyez View Post
I hope Mahindra is using IFS in DI 4*4

Any update on the drive and handling of DI 4*4? Is it the same as CRDE 4*4
As mentioned above, the Di 4x4 comes with leaf springs with rigid axle.

The ride and build quality should be on par with the 4x2. This means, there is a big difference from the CRDe.

As per my experience, the ride quality of CRDe is much better than the Di, which rides like the old 550.
Old 20th July 2011, 18:30   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
As per my experience, the ride quality of CRDe is much better than the Di, which rides like the old 550.
ONROAD it may be better - but there are a lot of doubts otherwise..
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2011, 00:09   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Its 4wd by birth.Not converted.
Such answers wonly on Team-bhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
In theory, yes. Not enough of the MDis on the trails to see how better they are than the CRDes

Why are the 4x4s so scarce down south?
Old 25th July 2011, 22:14   #109
BHPian

As on 19July 2011-TVS Cochin-Thar 4wd MDI-cost of vehicle-Rs495600;insurance-Rs15324;temp regn charges-Rs1,000,Tax-Rs 40,000(15 years);Registration-Rs3000;Total on-road price for 4wd (DI)Rs 5,56,600.
Thar crde-ex showroom-Rs6,22,600;insurance-Rs18427;;Road tax-Rs 49,950;On road price-Rs 6,90,987
Old 25th July 2011, 22:59   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Am still torn between the crde and the DI 4 WD.I am more concerned about the ruggedness of the vehicle and the engine in particular especially if it has to ford through water logged deep ditches.If the CRDE breaks down in a region where a hi-tech workshop with the "snag identifying computer' is not available,would repairing it be a problem?If the answer is "No",I guess it would be more prudent to go for the higher powered and more refined Thar crde-although one has to be very careful with the IFS not hitting any hard objects.The DI can probably be repaired by the local mechanic if the need arises as it has much less "electronics".Another thing which puzzles me is that even though both the engines have around 2.6 litres of displacement,the DI has only 63 bhp of power compared to the 100 plus bhp of the crde.Is this purely because of the technology and the efficiency of the crde engine or does the DI engine have an advantage over the crde engine in some other parameter.Can someone throw more light on this if it is not too much of a bother. Thanks.
Old 26th July 2011, 06:33   #111
Senior - BHPian

The DI is more utilitarian and basic compared to the CRDe. The CRDe mill is also a PUSHROD engine and not that great a diesel mill - But coming from Mahindra, and on a Jeep, it is beautiful.

I have taken the CRDe mill in a different vehicle [bolero storm] over very bad roads and water upto running board level - No problems. There is nothing to be worried about the the water proofing of the engine. The drawback is the water splashed over onto the windscreen if taken fast over water in a bolero rally style

My problem was with the suspension as the car was rocking, pitching and yawing all the time. I Hated it - Where my accent could do 80, the storm could do only 60 - comfortably without the passengers complaining.

My Punto does 100 effortlessly in that "same" road!
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 10:25   #112
BHPian

Quote:
The DI is more utilitarian and basic compared to the CRDe. The CRDe mill is also a PUSHROD engine and not that great a diesel mill - But coming from Mahindra, and on a Jeep, it is beautiful.

I have taken the CRDe mill in a different vehicle [bolero storm] over very bad roads and water upto running board level - No problems. There is nothing to be worried about the the water proofing of the engine. The drawback is the water splashed over onto the windscreen if taken fast over water in a bolero rally style

My problem was with the suspension as the car was rocking, pitching and yawing all the time. I Hated it - Where my accent could do 80, the storm could do only 60 - comfortably without the passengers complaining.

My Punto does 100 effortlessly in that "same" road!
I have taken the CRDe mill in a different vehicle [bolero storm] over very bad roads and water upto running board level - No problems. There is nothing to be worried about the the water proofing of the engine.
Thanks for the prompt reply Headers.I drive a swift Diesel now but the problem is I still miss the roar of my dear old red classic;the ease with which it could take the rough with the smooth and also like Kipling aptly put "walk with kings - nor lose the common touch". The jolts and the rocking actually added to the exhilarating experience of driving it:-)I hope the thar,when I acquire it (hopefully) sometime next year will assuage my loss and match it in performance,if not the maintenance.Maintaining a classic was not an expensive proposition although getting some of the parts like the "less than half empty"fuel guage indicator(Yellow light),the canopy etc became a problem once production stopped, because the classic was originally made for export.
Old 26th July 2011, 11:08   #113
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the feedback, headers !

Quote:
... The drawback is the water splashed over onto the windscreen if taken fast over water in a bolero rally style...
I guess this is an inherent 'feature' of any vehicle that has a high approach angle, and wheels on a wider track (as compared to body width).

If the splash has to be avoided, then the approach angle will go for a toss, and vice-versa .
Old 27th July 2011, 06:14   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Thanks for the feedback, headers !

I guess this is an inherent 'feature' of any vehicle that has a high approach angle, and wheels on a wider track (as compared to body width).

If the splash has to be avoided, then the approach angle will go for a toss, and vice-versa .
Senthil, I beg to disagree ^^

Water splashing on the windscreen is because of the bad design of the vehicle though i agree that the wider track does compound the problem.

The ADR angles are not to be blamed here, but the improper mudguards and the design of the same!
Old 3rd August 2011, 00:43   #115
Senior - BHPian

Hi, has anyone on the forum bought the THAR MDI?

no update on the thread, so i just asked the question.

i find it better value for money compared to the CRDe when it comes to OFFROADING...

...its also better than buying a scrap ex-army 550 and building it from scratch, im considering the MDI and add the extras needed in it for OTR purpose.
Old 5th October 2011, 09:20   #116
BHPian

I guess I would be the first one on team-bhp to buy a pre-owned Thar.

I got a call from my dad last night saying that he picked up a 2010, 9K kms done Thar Di for 4.5L.

I am dying to run home to take a spin.

And No! This is not for mall hopping or any weekend getaways. This is going to be his daily ride to our quarry where only trucks and bulldozer go.

AC, Alloys with Geolander A/T and PS are on its way.

I'am also suggesting fibre leaf springs, I would request some advice from people who have used it.

Cheers!
Asif
Old 19th December 2011, 12:10   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
I guess I would be the first one on team-bhp to buy a pre-owned Thar.
Hey Asif,
Please share your Thar MDI experiances.
Old 8th January 2012, 23:23   #118
BHPian

Test drove the Thar DI 4wd.The steering was effortless;the engine sounded pretty smooth;and the acceleration also was pretty decent. However,one could not take the same liberty with the DI as when sitting behind the wheel of a classic,when it came to taking sharp turns-as one had to slow down a bit more.Again ,the limited turning radius was a dis-advantage when making "U" turns at city junctions.The 4 wheel drive lever could not be nudged into the low 4 wheel or high 4 wheel drive without considerable effort.The vehicle had to be put into either first gear or the reverse gear and the foot had to be gently taken off the clutch lever for the 4 wheel gear to engage--the TVS officer who came with me stated that it would become smoother once the vehicle was used for some-time.Also test-drove the thar crde---did not feel like a jeep at all ---felt more like a car--!Can any-one confirm whether the metal used for the Thar- DI is of thinner guage than that used for the Thar CRDE,as the TVS guys claim.I was under the impression that the metal used was the same for both.
Ronnie Zach is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 09:36   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Hi, has anyone on the forum bought the THAR MDI?

no update on the thread, so i just asked the question.

i find it better value for money compared to the CRDe when it comes to OFFROADING...

...its also better than buying a scrap ex-army 550 and building it from scratch, im considering the MDI and add the extras needed in it for OTR purpose.
Parm,I booked a Thar DI 4 wd on August 1st 2011--because at heart I prefer a jeep with a engine which is rugged, proven ,efficient and simple to repair.However,many are advising me to go for the Thar crde which is more powerful on-road (?Off-road)--and this has stopped me from taking the plunge for the time being. I need to wait till September for the crde (Financial considerations),but an additional factor is that I am not very impressed watching the Thar crde's in action at avalaconda 2011 (On the net,albeit)when compared with the older jeeps-and need more time to mull over.Need to attend one of Arka's and Sudarshan's workshops to make an informed decision,I guess.I would be extremely grateful to any in this forum who have been off-roading--people like dhanush,"spitfire",Arka,Suranjan, "Headers',Sam Kallarickal (Am not trying to foment a debate-), "Dirty Dan",etc who can help me make up my mind. Would opting for the DI make me stuck with an underpowered engine --the plus point being that I can upgrade easily to higher differentials, Lockers etc or is the CRDE a better option the downside being the IFS(for off-roading)-more expensive maintenance-more electronics--plus points---more power,better build.Can anyone provide me with guidance on this with off-roading in mind.Parm -have you bought a Thar yet?
Old 16th January 2012, 10:05   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Ronnie Zach - Thar DI has 3.73:1 axle ratio, as against 4.3:1 in Thar CRDe. I am NOT CONFIRMING that LSD / MLD can go with 3.73:1. However, I am CONFIRMING that LSD / MLD can go with 4.3:1. Also, Thar DI has T18 transfer case as against Borg Warner in Thar CRDe. I suggest you may like to check the DI for general highway drivability after you have driven the CRDe. You would be comparing apples and oranges but its your call.

You then decide! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks