Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2011, 03:59   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!

Note from Mod : A comprehensive review of the Thar CRDe is located at this link.

The older MDI thread (with lots of technical info) can be found here.

Today, Sunday after church, a series of very fortunate events led me to the opportunity to lay my hands upon Mahindra's much hyped recent launches. The THAR in its DI 4x2 form.

Well, I'm not a great writer, or an expert reviewer, but will try my best to convey my initial impressions of the vehicle to fellow enthusiasts, and let the pictures do the rest of the talking.

Caution: My understanding of off-roaders(technical and non-technical) are very limited.

What I liked:
  • The WOW! factor. It turned heads wherever we went. Obviously the alloys and Hankook's had the major share.
  • The Legendary Jeep Styling.
  • Openable windshield.
  • Pretty decent power-train and positive gearshift. Will definitely server your 'purpose'
  • Decent Fuel Efficiency.
  • Though the steering is not power assisted, and the vehicle was shod with 255/60/15 tyres felt OK and bearable.
  • Decent Handling, minimal body roll.
  • 4 lacs and 90 thousand OTR price tag in Kerala (As compared to the CRDe).
  • Rigid Front Axle , No IFS. Or is it?
What I didnt like:
  • Shoddy interior quality. Stalks, Winders, Upholstery.. the list goes on.
  • Rattles.. Rattles... Rattles.. You roll down the windows and the glass starts rattling inside the door.
  • Very.. Very.. Very.. Cramped driver seating.
  • No seat adjust - anyway.
  • Steering scary at high speeds.
  • No A/C, even optional (but thanks to openable windshield).
  • Step in, and your transported back in time. Is this a vehicle launched in 2011?
  • There was RUST, in the NEW vehicle.
The THAR I drove was shod with 255/60/15 Hankook's and decent alloys. Well, the THAR Badging and the macho, no-nonsense looks was just awesome. Turned heads where ever we went.

Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-28.jpg
Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-3.jpg
Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-8.jpg
Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-9.jpg
Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-1.jpg
Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-10.jpg
Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-2.jpg

After the WOW! exteriors, you step in, and you are instantly transported back in time. The THAR has the basic'ish, no basic'est interiors of the lot. Only function. No Form. You'll be 'amazed' to find such interiors in an entirely fresh launch.

Step in and the interiors catch you by surprise. Try to sit, and the seating surprises you again. I'm a mere 5 feet 8 incher and I was already finding it cramped. Let alone while driving. Reach for the seat adjuster, and there... another surprise. There aint none!. Seriously.. how much will that cost? You'll have to live with this cramped seats for the rest of your life with the THAR!. I would highly recommend swapping them with aftermarket seats as soon as you take delivery of the vehicle.

Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-22.jpg
Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-13.jpg
Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-25.jpg

Cramped Seating. Unfortunately, the THAR DI is NOT meant for 6 feeters, unless you swap the seats for aftermarket ones, which adds another 15k to the price tag.

Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-11.jpg

Lockable Glove Box. Unlike THAR CRDe.

Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-12.jpg

Seat Belt Pulley.

Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-20.jpg

Covers??... What are they?.

Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-21.jpg

Openable windshield. A boon, as there is no AC. Sensible Mahindra, huh?.

Attachment 484460

Also looks cool!.

Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-15.jpg

Our decade old M800 - The cheapest car in the country then, has the exact same wiper stalks.

Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-14.jpg

Is that rust?.

Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-30.jpg

Let aside the interiors. Crank the THAR, and you'll be greeted by the rumble of the 2.5L DI. The engine seemed to be pretty audible at idle, even when warmed up. Though audible, I felt that the engine was pretty refined, and revved nicely. Even on high rev's, it did not feel harsh.

Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-33.jpg
Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-31.jpg
Attachment 484462
Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-26.jpg

Insulation on the hood does its job, but not good enough to silence the 2.5L mill under it.
Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-34.jpg

Amaron maintenance free batteries?. Pretty good. They could have saved on this and spent it on the interiors(stalks, et al).
Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-32.jpg

After the satisfying refinement of the 2.5L mill, you roll the THAR and you'll be please at the way power is delivered. I felt it pretty linear and more than sufficient torque is made available at low rpm's.
The ride is stiff, but on the brighter side, body roll is well contained. Leaf setup upfront?
The steering also felt pretty manageable and not-so-hard, even though the vehicle I drove was shod with 255/60/15 tyres. and while the tyres are rolling, you will NOT miss the PS at all. Decent response. At good speeds though, it felt scary.

Leaf Set up, upfront.
Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-17.jpg

Not sure if it was because of the 15 inchers, the rear wheel well seemed very spacious.
Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-19.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 21st January 2011 at 11:40. Reason: Thanks for sharing! Moved to new, dedicated thread. Added link to CRDe review on top
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2011, 04:21   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar MDi Thread (more pics at page 24)

The reason why the THAR DI cant be registered in Major cities.

Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-16.jpg

Hella's & Roots. Note the hanging wires. Not connected, yet.

Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-23.jpg

Our bit 'off' the road experience into the forests of Muthanga.

Good clearence allowed us to follow the forest trails much further than my IKON would have ever let us ( no comparo here ).

Though we missed 4x4.

Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-24.jpg
Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-29.jpg

Guess who's behind the wheel!..

Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-27.jpg

A fitting end to the day. A wild elephant only meters from our road(trail?) back.

Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-35.jpg

P.S: Mods, please create a separate thread for this if it deserves.

Last edited by dhanushs : 17th January 2011 at 04:24.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2011, 04:59   #3
BHPian

WoW Dhanushs,
Those are really nice detailed pics & review. Thanks fo sharing.
Any videos possible?

Thar DI really looks good if accessorized.

BTW, How & what is the top speed? Does it screams v.loud at top speed
Steering seems to be good if one can handle those tyres with relative ease.

Lets see when the DI 4WD review comes here.

Is that Disk there?
(7th Pic)

Mod Note : Joel Kurian shares the following review as well:

Quote:
MAHINDRA THAR DI 4x4 OWNERSHIP REVIEW

INTRODUCTION

My father was returning from Abu Dhabhi and we needed a vehicle for use in our rubber estate and day to day runabouts. This would be our primary vehicle for time being. This was the time when Mahindra Thar was getting ready behind the curtain. Googled and came to know it was coming in two variants, the CRDE version with the same engine block from Scorpio CRDE, and a Di version which was the replacement for the Major (as the dealer said). Finally it was launched in January 2011. The Di version was already available at the showrooms. They had 2WDs in stock. CRDE came only as 4WD. Also considered bolero Di 4x4 but it wouldn’t fit our kind of use. Now the comparison was between Thar CRDE and Thar Di 4x4. Went through endless threads and blogs comparing both and selected DI 4WD for the following reasons

1. It was basic, crude, rough and tough vechicle, proven and already in use in the army as MM550

2. Had better fuel efficiency as compared to CRDE. Dealer claimed 18kmpl for 2WD and 16-17kmpl for 4WD.

3. CRDE came with independent front suspension while the Di came with leaf springs and rigid axle setup.

Di came with MDI 3200TCL which was tried and tested throughout the Mahindra range. Thus Di was reliable vehicle, low in maintenance and any local mechanic could take care of it. There is nothing extra which is not needed. It looks so basic, you feel you can dismantle it yourself.

4. CRDE has 105 hp under the hood. We didn’t need that much power for our use.

5. Resale value was sure high for Thar Di but CRDE being a new product, we didn’t want to take a chance.
We had a 1986 MM540 DP 2WD sold two years ago which was perfect for our use. Since then my father used to say that if the MM540 was in production, he would’ve got a new one, that too with 4WD because he got stuck one day with the MM540. So we were happy that Thar Di was actually the tried and tested MAJOR in disguise, the re-incarnation of the MM540.
After enquires, through phone calls, we went and booked Thar Di 4WD on 12th of April 2011 at the Mahindra outlet in Muvattupuzha. We were told we would take at least 6 months as 4WDs were made-to order. So we bought a 1992 CL 500 DI 2WD for temporary use but Thar came in 3 months. Had they told this earlier, we would not have bought the CL500.

Anyway we got delivery on__________. Mr. Ullas at Muvattupuzha outlet was very helpful. He arranged for
bank loan and everything was smooth. Got it delivered in Muvatupuzha although the showroom was in Vytila, Ekm. Did go for underbody coating as it came with 1500 kms on the ODO. Yes, it was driven all the way from the factory in ___ Maharashtra. Only extra was Lamda free-wheeling hubs. I was in the hostel for this time. Went home the next day of delivery. Took the keys and started it right when i got home. First drive was to church next day (Sunday).

TEST DRIVE

ENGINE
The engine had the typical DI sound at idle but as the rpm increases, and turbo switch is on, it gets silent. Power delivery was smoother than major, yes, the engine has been fine tuned. Turbo lag was slightly evident, only slightly, but passed this there was enough power reserve. I found the max power and torque came somewhere in the midrange when the turbo started singing (had to judge by sound-no tachometer). Engine was very drivable giving good torque at min rpm. Just released the clutch slowly in first and the vehicle starts rolling.

HANDLING
On road, Thar Di was stable and handled well (in jeep terms!). After all jeeps are not meant for racing. Found it better than major, may be because it is heavier. The only let down was the tyres. DI 4WD comes with CEAT 6.00 x 16 NDMS, which was too thin for on road use. One has to be cautious while braking because anything beyond 60 kmph with hard braking would leave the tyres without traction. This gets worse in wet conditions. Thinking of changing to offroad radials or 7.50x16 off raod tyre. I use gears to reduce speed along with brakes after experience of 90 degree drifts and skids. Steering is manual and a bit heavy, gives good feedback, with little freeplay. Not the best, but ages ahead of the CL500. Turning radius is a tad too high, little difficult to manoeuvre. Even the CL 500 is better ,in this respect.

MAINTENANCE AND FUEL EFFICIENCY
There was literally no maintenance required other than greasing after washing at local car washing stations. Had first service (5000 kms) at the authorised service center at Thodupuzha. The service was horrible. They were not punctual. I asked them to do tyre rotation. The NDMS tyres are meant for offraod use and they get worn out pretty fast, we can actually see it if you are keen enough. But the foreman just interchanged the four tyres, without including the spare tyre. Argument was that it was not prescribed in the manual. Manual says tyre rotation at 1000 kms. This ought to be for the radial tyres available for the 2WD. I doubt if there would be any thread at all after 10,000 kms.
We got fuell efficieny 12 kmpl (with extensive 4WD use).

OFF-ROAD ABILITY
This is the core reason for buying this vehicle. Initially 4WD was very difficult to engage. The short lever just wouldn’t move. After numerous efforts, it shifted to 4H and then to neutral. But it wouldn’t shift to 4Low. Tried again and again finally got it to 4L. This was a Herculean task. But after a few days of use, it became easy
The offroad conditions we have are rocky terrain, steep incline off rock and gravel, all this coupled with slush during rains. The CL 500 2WD couldn’t do it when it was wet but somehow managed when it was dry-mainly due to high axle ratio. The Thar di has 3.73 axle ratio and although this was good onroad, this made it too fast offroad. We had to shift to 4L usually just to slow it down. It did all our ofroad needs with ease. Shift to 4L and it would take any steep inclines on second gear. First gear is rarely used-only when descending these inclines during wet conditions.

Once went offroading with friends, found a steep incline full of rocks. Actually we found it too difficult to even walk. Locked the hubs, shifted to 4L first gear, slowly released clutch and just controlled steering. Took my legs off all the pedals. Thar climbed up in idle without the slightest of loss in traction. Piece of cake! The NDMS tyres showed their ability now they were perfect off road especially in mud and gravel.

VERDICT
The Thar di is one of the best available for use in estates and farm houses unlike the CRDE it lacks cosmetic treatments but gives max utility for the price. It is not even comparable to a hatchback or any other cars for that matter but the best for the purpose it is made. Real strong tough simple vehicle.

Last edited by GTO : 25th February 2012 at 12:26. Reason: Adding a review shared by another user
offroad_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2011, 07:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar DI 4x2: Pics and Initial Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
[/list]What I didnt like:
  • Shoddy interior quality. Stalks, Winders, Upholstery.. the list goes on.
  • Rattles.. Rattles... Rattles.. You roll down the windows and the glass starts rattling inside the door.
  • Very.. Very.. Very.. Cramped driver seating.
  • No seat adjust - anyway.
  • Steering scary at high speeds.
  • No A/C, even optional (but thanks to openable windshield).
  • Step in, and your transported back in time. Is this a vehicle launched in 2011?
  • There was RUST, in the NEW vehicle.
these are all fix'able stuff. seriously. as much as I loved the fact that Mahindra bought this back, but truth be told, Mahindra has earned its investment on that bodyshell eons ago..its 2nd life now. Spend the money in bettering the product.please and not go backwards into stoneage.
Old 17th January 2011, 08:49   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@dhanushs:

Thanks for the pics and feedback on Thar MDI. Overall a much better platform for off-roaders than CRDe.

Can you please find out from the Dealer regarding the rear seat. It looks like an OEM set up with flip fold feature. You can see the strap to pull back. This will be a great choice for people who want to retrofit the seats on the Thar CRDe/MDI to front facing seats.
Old 17th January 2011, 09:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

@Dhanush, finally an unofficial review for Thar DI. Who is the other guy with you Anjith A Vattathil?

Spike
Old 17th January 2011, 09:29   #7
Team-BHP Support

From the various feedback I am getting about Thar DI... It may be a good idea to completely repaint and rust proof the DI body before customizing it for family use. Anyway, my Jeep plan has been postponed for now since I need to buy a hatch.
Old 17th January 2011, 10:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

@Dhanush. Thank you for the review. With the front facing rear seat, how much space was left for luggage at the back? What was the distance between the tailgate and the backside of the rear seat?

-Biju
Old 17th January 2011, 12:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

MDi won't be sold in H.P. with the BSIII engine, so says a local dealer.

One thing I might add, don't be afraid of the seemingly small 63HP number of this motor. If you swap out the 3.73 differentials for for 4.27, 4.88 or more, you will give scorpios and and Taveras all they can handle from a standing start. She goes!
Old 17th January 2011, 12:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
MDi won't be sold in H.P. with the BSIII engine, so says a local dealer.

One thing I might add, don't be afraid of the seemingly small 63HP number of this motor. If you swap out the 3.73 differentials for for 4.27, 4.88 or more, you will give scorpios and and Taveras all they can handle from a standing start. She goes!
Did you notice any additional vibrations/grinding noise/humming after upgrading the ratio??

@M&M: Isnt it time you guys start making bodies that are rust free atleast for the first 6 months of ownership??!!!! Im losing it guys, this is utterly disappointing.

Last edited by The Wolf : 17th January 2011 at 13:05.
Old 17th January 2011, 14:52   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
WoW Dhanushs,
Those are really nice detailed pics & review. Thanks fo sharing.
Any videos possible?
Thanks offroad maniac. Yes, I do have some videos, but they are way too large. However, I will post the one in which the rumble of the 2.5L is 'pretty' audible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Thar DI really looks good if accessorized.

BTW, How & what is the top speed? Does it screams v.loud at top speed
Steering seems to be good if one can handle those tyres with relative ease.

Lets see when the DI 4WD review comes here.

Is that Disk there?
(7th Pic)
- Yep, the DI looks damn good with those meaty wheels.

- The speedo was not plugged in this vehicle. Not sure why, so couldn't check out the digits.

- Yes, that's discs up front. Not sure if its OEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
these are all fix'able stuff. seriously. as much as I loved the fact that Mahindra bought this back, but truth be told, Mahindra has earned its investment on that bodyshell eons ago..its 2nd life now. Spend the money in bettering the product.please and not go backwards into stoneage.
+1. Now, did M&M think that the interiors & quality will be overlooked just because its a 'Jeep'?. Cmon, there's a huuuggeeee gap in lifestyles 20years before and now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Can you please find out from the Dealer regarding the rear seat. It looks like an OEM set up with flip fold feature. You can see the strap to pull back. This will be a great choice for people who want to retrofit the seats on the Thar CRDe/MDI to front facing seats.
The rear seats aint OEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@Dhanush, finally an unofficial review for Thar DI. Who is the other guy with you Anjith A Vattathil?

Spike
Lucky me. . Proud to drive a vehicle which has gone through the hands of my college mate whist its making.

The other guy isn't our classmate, he looks strikingly similar though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
@Dhanush. Thank you for the review. With the front facing rear seat, how much space was left for luggage at the back? What was the distance between the tailgate and the backside of the rear seat?

-Biju
Biju, I did not measure the distance, but the space was adequate. Better than new-gen hatches. The best thing was the ease of loading and unloading luggage.

This might throw some light?

Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-thar-side.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
ahh .. atlast what I keep hearing on 4X4 threads.

Articulation
Yep, some more of it.

Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-articulation.jpg
Mahindra Thar MDI - Driven!-articulation1.jpg
Old 17th January 2011, 15:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi Dhanush one question for you- how is the vehicle's ride quality on scruffed surfaces? Does it feel like an MM540 with the whole body making crackling noises and the suspension going thudd thuddd sending shocks down ones spine? MM540's ride quality was great at low speeds and good roads but on broken roads it used to be/ and still is noisy& rattly from every corner of the vehicle!!! I can understand the window glass, thats given and 100% traditional but what about the rest???

p.s: The doorless cc550mdi scores highly in my books for its rattle free demeanor. Hoping the THAR di is in the same lines minus the door related ruckus.

Last edited by The Wolf : 17th January 2011 at 15:09.
Old 17th January 2011, 16:28   #13
BHPian

Dhanush,
Wasn't there a radiator shroud in this vehicle..or am I missing something?
So this must be the Thar doing rounds in Kalpetta!
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2011, 16:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Hi Dhanush one question for you- how is the vehicle's ride quality on scruffed surfaces? Does it feel like an MM540 with the whole body making crackling noises and the suspension going thudd thuddd sending shocks down ones spine? MM540's ride quality was great at low speeds and good roads but on broken roads it used to be/ and still is noisy& rattly from every corner of the vehicle!!!
It is an all-round leaf-spring suspension at the end of the day and therefore, rattles, squeaks, thuds, etc are bound to creep up sooner or later. For people looking at smooth rides over broken surfaces, Thar CRDe with IFS would make more sense.
Old 17th January 2011, 16:49   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
It is an all-round leaf-spring suspension at the end of the day and therefore, rattles, squeaks, thuds, etc are bound to creep up sooner or later. For people looking at smooth rides over broken surfaces, Thar CRDe with IFS would make more sense.
I differ a little here , 'this' has a rigid chassis so body will last longer than the old 540 . The old C section chassis was not even adequate for the off road /rural duties .

Now this will cause lesser troubles & more comfort than the old 540 .

So in conclusion those rattles will be few & will appear late .(much later )

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed