Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2011, 13:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread

Congratulations on your Pajero 53BHP. This is my most favourite gen. I'm a big fan of these boxy designed SUVs. Their actions speak louder than the looks. The 'Turbo Wagon' sticker is one of the highlights of this machine for . A complete no nonsense off roader.

I'm sure you'll get her back to pristine condition soon. Drive safe and hope to check her out in the flesh sometime soon.

P.S : I have watched the bollywood flick Vishwatma many times the reason being the white Mk1 Pajero being driven by Naseeruddin Shah in the movie
Dippy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2011, 09:31   #17
BHPian

@Dippy: Hope to give you a ride soon. Am in Mumbai and this is already pretty much a daily driver (my W124 is getting some well deserved rest)

Here is a nice review of the Mk1 that was done in 1989:

1989 Mitsubishi Pajero EXE LWB 5-dr wagon | GoAuto - Overview

And some old brochures for the high roof model:

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-ewxl.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-evdx.jpg

Here is a nice canopy idea that I will try to implement once the restoration is complete:

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-_dsc3063.jpg
53BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2011, 12:51   #18
BHPian

Is yours the wagon or the Van? from the pics it looks like the van came with leaf springs at the rear and no hood scoop.

Last edited by howler : 1st February 2011 at 12:53.
Old 1st February 2011, 13:00   #19
BHPian

thats what i thought as well. but my research indicates that it is a turbo wagon

the original turbo wagon sticker is still on and it has a much higher spec than the van which did not have remote fuel lid opener for instance

my parts supplier in japan says its an export model directly exported from japan

I think it is the plain turbo wagon with leaf springs at the rear with all other accessories and fitments (sun roof, electric everything etc). The super turbo wagon came i think the following year with intercooler and coils at the rear

I may be wrong dunno wish someone could throw some light on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Is yours the wagon or the Van? from the pics it looks like the van came with leaf springs at the rear and no hood scoop.
53BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2011, 20:09   #20
BHPian

The below link might help you ascertain the ancestry.
OLDJAPANESECAR.COM: Forum - OJC Files: Mitsubishi Pajero L040 + History
Old 1st February 2011, 23:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeuff View Post
The below link might help you ascertain the ancestry.
OLDJAPANESECAR.COM: Forum - OJC Files: Mitsubishi Pajero L040 + History
thanks prash,

already looked at this thread. it is still unclear because the author says that in 1989/90 the 2.5td got an intercooler.mine doesnt have one. although it has everything else as described

btw ravi was not too keen to help. i guess me being in mumbai didnt help matters much

cheers

ro
Old 2nd February 2011, 13:54   #22
BHPian

a very nice buy!! congratulations and have fun restoring it

would you mind sharing information on how much did you pay for it ? thanks
Old 2nd February 2011, 14:30   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
thats what i thought as well. but my research indicates that it is a turbo wagon

the original turbo wagon sticker is still on and it has a much higher spec than the van which did not have remote fuel lid opener for instance

my parts supplier in japan says its an export model directly exported from japan

I think it is the plain turbo wagon with leaf springs at the rear with all other accessories and fitments (sun roof, electric everything etc). The super turbo wagon came i think the following year with intercooler and coils at the rear

I may be wrong dunno wish someone could throw some light on this

i think yours is more likely a 85-87 model, the turbo wagon got an intercooler and coils only in 88/89. refer to this link for th 89 lineup:
1989 Mitsubishi Pajero - all pics, specs, parts and prices

you could compare the frame nos too.
Old 2nd February 2011, 23:14   #24
BHPian

Howler

Nope its definitely an 89 model as the frame numbers match up and the seat belt manufacturing date is march 1989

another member on our forum beouf has a 1990 mk1 with out turbo without intercooler. its puzzling
Old 3rd February 2011, 13:13   #25
BHPian

Hey Rohit,

Congratulations!!

It is a amazing vehicle. I myself own a 1984 Gen 1 SWB Pajero here in Mumbai.

Would love to catch up and discuss and compare the vehicles.

During my research after i bought my Pajero I have fount the below link to be most useful

Directory /Auto/Japan/Mitsubishi/Pajero-Montero/
Old 6th February 2011, 14:06   #26
BHPian

Parts Procurement Update

Got a good bunch of spares for the rig yesterday:

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0194.jpg

Got all these from a dealer at Palika Bhavan at BC Place on the ring road, New Delhi:

Please see attached pdf file. Couldnt get the cut and paste from excel or word to display properly here. Sorry!

I think the prices were fair. More expensive than Dubai and Singapore, but less so than Mumbai. And a fair exchange policy made up my mind. It was literally the first shop pinged!!

So tomorrow commences the work on the complete suspension overhaul. Steiger intends to make it such that when the job is done I can drive it down to Delhi and cruise with Harjeev and his HDJ80

After we do the suspension we will get down to doing the engine mechanicals and electricals. And as you can see from this house of horrors belows (a.k.a my engine bay!!), there is a ton of work to be done:

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0192.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0193.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Parts list 5th feb.pdf (9.8 KB, 702 views)

Last edited by 53BHP : 6th February 2011 at 14:13.
53BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2011, 23:24   #27
Senior - BHPian

Re: Parts Procurement Update

First of all a BIG CONGRATULATIONS ON THE VEHICLE!!!
Its surely is in a good shape and now when you have already started on work, I am sure it would be in showroom condition in no time.

Quote:
Got a good bunch of spares for the rig yesterday:

Attachment 496660

Got all these from a dealer at Palika Bhavan at BC Place on the ring road, New Delhi:
Now don't tell me that you were in Delhi and that too in Palika Bhawan yesterday. I just wish that you'd called me as luck would have it I too was there from 11 in the morning till 3PM, getting stuff done up on my Cruiser.
I just wish that we'd met

Quote:
Please see attached pdf file. Couldnt get the cut and paste from excel or word to display properly here. Sorry!

I think the prices were fair. More expensive than Dubai and Singapore, but less so than Mumbai. And a fair exchange policy made up my mind. It was literally the first shop pinged!!
What shops did you buy the stuff from. There are 3-4 shops that generally stock most of the stuff. (Sood, Rastogi, Saraswati and Rahul). Whatever I need to buy, I inquire from the 2 or 3 shops and buy it. The best thing is that atleast we get the stuff for these vehicle.

Quote:
So tomorrow commences the work on the complete suspension overhaul. Steiger intends to make it such that when the job is done I can drive it down to Delhi and cruise with Harjeev and his HDJ80
You're most welcome buddy, anytime. Eagerly waiting for that day. What do you say. Get it ready and accompany us to a trip to Leh. We might planning something as early as June this year.

Quote:
After we do the suspension we will get down to doing the engine mechanicals and electricals. And as you can see from this house of horrors belows (a.k.a my engine bay!!), there is a ton of work to be done:

Attachment 496661

Attachment 496662
Eagerly waiting for the work to progress. Please do be like me delay the updates. Keep them coming...
Old 6th February 2011, 23:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your acquisition. For a change it is nice to see a non MM, Gypsy, Beetle or so on going in for a restoration

It looks pretty good in shape, but the interiors need a lot of work by the looks of it. How much did you pick it up for , I guess I missed it.

Like the pic where you are showing its transporting capabilites. Thats one huge AC you are planning to install ;-)
Old 7th February 2011, 10:00   #29
BHPian

Buddy

Very Very Guilty as charged. Was there from 1230 to 1500. Was in a mad rush to get my flight. I was planning to call when finished but barely managaed to make my flight by the skin of my teeth

Please forgive!!

Leh in June sounds outstandingly tempting dude!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
First of all a BIG CONGRATULATIONS ON THE VEHICLE!!!
Its surely is in a good shape and now when you have already started on work, I am sure it would be in showroom condition in no time.

Now don't tell me that you were in Delhi and that too in Palika Bhawan yesterday. I just wish that you'd called me as luck would have it I too was there from 11 in the morning till 3PM, getting stuff done up on my Cruiser.
I just wish that we'd met

What shops did you buy the stuff from. There are 3-4 shops that generally stock most of the stuff. (Sood, Rastogi, Saraswati and Rahul). Whatever I need to buy, I inquire from the 2 or 3 shops and buy it. The best thing is that atleast we get the stuff for these vehicle.

You're most welcome buddy, anytime. Eagerly waiting for that day. What do you say. Get it ready and accompany us to a trip to Leh. We might planning something as early as June this year.

Eagerly waiting for the work to progress. Please do be like me delay the updates. Keep them coming...
Old 7th February 2011, 13:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Buddy

Very Very Guilty as charged. Was there from 1230 to 1500. Was in a mad rush to get my flight. I was planning to call when finished but barely managaed to make my flight by the skin of my teeth

Please forgive!!

Leh in June sounds outstandingly tempting dude!!
What a close miss. But whenever you are there the next time, please do let me know a couple of days in advance. So that atleast I could come over there and meetup.
BTW what shop did you buy the stuff from??? Do you remember the name or the address??

Most Viewed