Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2011, 14:59   #31
BHPian

re: My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread

VK Gupta (Saraswati)!!

Whatever he didnt have he got from the others. I just didnt have time to shop and compare rates. His rates were as good as Milner. The weight of the suspension bits pretty much maxxed out my 45kg luggage allowance

Am planning to be in Delhi with family before 25th March for a few days. We will positively meet up and do something. You must also touch base with Neeloy's friend Devesh (my brother in law)

Best

R

@thedreamcatcher: That wasnt an ac i was moving. It was my printer. Yes, its still pretty big

Last edited by 53BHP : 7th February 2011 at 15:02.
Old 7th February 2011, 15:56   #32
BHPian

Wow!! I think even I need to go to Delhi for spares.

@Harjeev - Wold need your help buddy.

@Rohit - Please get the Starter, Horn, Light Relays changed first as I had major issues due to these old electrical parts and as you might have seen in my thread I recently got the entire wiring done because of a few bad experiences.
Old 8th February 2011, 20:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
VK Gupta (Saraswati)!!

Whatever he didnt have he got from the others. I just didnt have time to shop and compare rates. His rates were as good as Milner. The weight of the suspension bits pretty much maxxed out my 45kg luggage allowance
Me too picked up the steering shock absorber from Saraswati that day only for about 3k

Quote:
Am planning to be in Delhi with family before 25th March for a few days. We will positively meet up and do something. You must also touch base with Neeloy's friend Devesh (my brother in law)
Surely will do that. Looking forward to it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud_Chaser View Post
Wow!! I think even I need to go to Delhi for spares.

@Harjeev - Wold need your help buddy.
Anytime mate.

Quote:
@Rohit - Please get the Starter, Horn, Light Relays changed first as I had major issues due to these old electrical parts and as you might have seen in my thread I recently got the entire wiring done because of a few bad experiences.
So you got the entire wiring harness made or bought it off the shelf.
How much did it cost??
Old 9th February 2011, 17:13   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
So you got the entire wiring harness made or bought it off the shelf.
How much did it cost??
The original combination switch was not working partly since i bought my Pajero. The mechanic had installed 2 additional switches for Head Lights and wipers. I used to have starting problems with the patch wiring I had even after changing the Lucas Starter Relay (Baccha Relay as the Taxiwalas call it here). I have face a few em brassing situations because of that. So I decided to change the complete wiring. I managed to get the Gen 1 original Combination switch (Rs. 9500/-) and the electrician changed the Relay system to a newer type with custome made harness. Now everything including all the indicators, wipers, headlights, etc are working fine. Total Damages Rs. 24,000/-
Cloud_Chaser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2011, 18:06   #35
BHPian

Prashant

You can get working combination switches from breaker yards on ebay for 15 to 20pounds. anyway its done now. Saraswati is recommended. I got some original parts labelled Mitsubishi with the original part numbers. Then I got some parts made in Japan by some other companies. Then the ball joints I got made in Korea (I think due to the Galloper)

Few rubber bushes were from Thailand but not bad quality. Prices were reasonable

I will PM you Saraswati contact number

R

Harjeev

Your new lights look sparkling. Awesome....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud_Chaser View Post
The original combination switch was not working partly since i bought my Pajero. The mechanic had installed 2 additional switches for Head Lights and wipers. I used to have starting problems with the patch wiring I had even after changing the Lucas Starter Relay (Baccha Relay as the Taxiwalas call it here). I have face a few em brassing situations because of that. So I decided to change the complete wiring. I managed to get the Gen 1 original Combination switch (Rs. 9500/-) and the electrician changed the Relay system to a newer type with custome made harness. Now everything including all the indicators, wipers, headlights, etc are working fine. Total Damages Rs. 24,000/-
Old 9th February 2011, 18:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Buddy
Leh in June sounds outstandingly tempting dude!!
Liar!! First come for an OTR as promised so many times over Harjeev dont believe him. Hes never gonna come.

Congrats, dude. The beast will be fantastic im sure, knowing your eye for detail and penchant for getting work done right. Its great that parts are so easily available. Im frankly a bit shocked that the prices are higher in Bombay. Maybe, Delhi has more Pajeros (maybe the political presence and its preference to this brand) I remember these as mostly bought in by Japanese counsulates and UN and UNESCO. Then after the facelift, almost everyone from Shahrukh Khan to Raj Thakerey wanted and owned a Pajero till the favourite suddenly became the Land Cruiser and then the Range Rover (meanwhile the LC still finds favour)

Try Dubai for fantastic accessories like a winch, snorkel and other stuff to make the Monster stand out. Last but not the least some butch tyres like Mudzillas or Big Horns to complete the look!!

In the meanwhile keep promising to come for an OTR.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2011, 20:42   #37
BHPian

gogi
you have reallythrown down the gauntlet this time...
harjeev i am guilty as charged by gogi. so gogi here's what we will do. next otr if my pajero is ready i will bring. or else the 540dp with superchill ac. this time you leave you cj3 behind and ride with me. i will let you do as much offroading with my jeep as you want... honest :-D

[quote=V-16;2238999]Liar!! First come for an OTR as promised so many times over Harjeev dont believe him. Hes never gonna come.

Congrats, dude. The beast will be fantastic im sure, knowing your eye for detail and penchant for getting work done right. Its great that parts are so easily available. Im frankly a bit shocked that the prices are higher in Bombay. Maybe, Delhi has more Pajeros (maybe the political presence and its preference to this brand) I remember these as mostly bought in by Japanese counsulates and UN and UNESCO. Then after the facelift, almost everyone from Shahrukh Khan to Raj Thakerey wanted and owned a Pajero till the favourite suddenly became the Land C
Old 10th February 2011, 11:46   #38
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on a wonderful vehicle. Even seeing the pics of the Pajero brings back some wonderful memories for me, since we got to travel in one of these during our early Dubai days.

As for the jerry can, please do not discard it, but rather retain it in body color as Gogi mentioned, since i do remember
Pajeros having that.

Waiting to see the restoration of this beauty.
Old 10th February 2011, 12:25   #39
BHPian

Quote:
gogi
harjeev i am guilty as charged by gogi. so gogi here's what we will do. next otr if my pajero is ready i will bring. or else the 540dp with superchill ac. this time you leave you cj3 behind and ride with me. i will let you do as much offroading with my jeep as you want... honest :-D
Hey Rohit,

Does your Pajero have a factory fitted AC?

Mine was removed by the old owner for some reason and I had to get a AC kit installed.
Old 10th February 2011, 15:35   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
gogi
Done Boss!!

Anything to get you out and make you use the Jeep for what it was meant to do.
Old 10th February 2011, 15:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Congratulations on your Pajero 53BHP. This is my most favourite gen. I'm a big fan of these boxy designed SUVs. Their actions speak louder than the looks.
+1 On that.

Even i am a fan of these boxy designed SUV's.I own a 1990 Isuzu Trooper and a Ford GPW to say it all.

I am hunting for a Generation 1 Pajero,LR Defender,Land Cruiser ( 60-70 series) and a Nissan Patrol (Y60)
Old 10th February 2011, 21:04   #42
BHPian

okay gogi,
here's the deal. we go offroading on the panvel khopoli side.biryani lunch at my place on the old bombay pune highway after that.....
fix a date!!
Old 13th February 2011, 22:29   #43
BHPian

And so starts the heavy hitting!!

Saturday afternoon. A good meal down and we are ready to go. Thats Steiger wondering where to get started:

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0203.jpg

We finally decided to attack the suspension and steering system first. We are thinking of getting the whole engine out to so a proper job. All engine and GB mounts have to be changed as well as belts and seals. So I am thinking of getting a portable gantry crane fabricated with a chain block for easy lifting. Steiger and his Dad Dominic work this garage alone and it would be helpful to have this kind of an aid for heavy lifting

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0209.jpg

It took us 3 hours to dismantle one side of the front suspension. This is one heavy duty suspension set up. The whole lot of rubber parts are completely knackered. The rest of the stuff is rock solid. Luckily we have most of the parts needed except for the upper arm bushes and the bump stops

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0208.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0211.jpg

My 1989 Mitsubishi Pajero Generation I (Mk1) Restoration Thread-photo0206.jpg

Tomorrow we will set upon getting all the bushes in after cleaning and painting the upper and lower arms. We had to take off the torsion bar to get to the lower arm. That was tough

Anyone know how to get the rear lower arm bush out. It is fixed in the subframe instead of the lower arm. Will need some kind of puller to get this one off. Thats going to be a tough one

More updates soon. This is going to be a long and challenging job to do right!!
53BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2011, 01:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
okay gogi,
here's the deal. we go offroading on the panvel khopoli side.biryani lunch at my place on the old bombay pune highway after that.....
fix a date!!
Done bro. Will call u in a few days after i gather the usual suspects for a short but good OTR trail.

MEanwhile i will be paying a visit to Steiger's to see the progress in person. Also another Agenda with Steiger
Old 14th February 2011, 09:28   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Done bro. Will call u in a few days after i gather the usual suspects for a short but good OTR trail.

MEanwhile i will be paying a visit to Steiger's to see the progress in person. Also another Agenda with Steiger
I am sure that car is long gone by now. My experience with Steiger is that when he announces it, you have to grab it...

Now he is talking of a pristine 230SL (not SL230)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks